Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,909 members, 7,952,655 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 08:23 PM

Why Your Real Name Matters In The Domain Name System (DNS) - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Why Your Real Name Matters In The Domain Name System (DNS) (6175 Views)

Debited For Purchasing A Domain From Namecheap Without Getting The Domain. / Domainking Just Ceased The Domain Name I Purchase_bloggers&webmaster Help / Learn The Domain Name Business - See What Sold, See What Just Dropped (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Your Real Name Matters In The Domain Name System (DNS) by awakon(m): 11:06pm On Oct 05, 2015
Having a personal domain name might not sound receptive to you and if so, it is not your fault. Why would you ever want to have a personal domain name anyway?

Think about this; don’t you think it is great to type yourname.com and see all your works, your legacy, creativity and passion? It will be awesome to be able to check out your online space and be inspired by your wisdom.

So I am here to let you know that having a personal domain name is worthwhile and here are 4 reasons your Real Name matters in the Domain Space.

1. Don’t look down on Personal branding

Personal branding is a big topic on the internet and I think that it has been made so complex that people equate branding with big companies.

Do you know that the humble beginning of branding starts with you? Remember that gesture that you make that is only unique to you or the words that you say that makes everyone recognize you instantly. That really is branding

So having a personal domain name is a great way to stand out. Being on a social platform isn’t enough; just having a presence on LinkedIn is just a tip of the iceberg. You need to be unique on the crowded online space to make a difference.

There are so many great things you can do with your personal domain name. Need some inspiration; check out these awesome people that are using their personal domain names to make a difference. Davidadeleke.com, elsieisy.com, Yemisiagusto.com, sisiyemmie.com etc.

2. Google Likes Your Name

There is this debate about the relevance of domain names when it comes to search rankings. So it is not surprising that one is advised to pick a domain that is unique, relevant to the niche and search engine friendly.

However, Google is becoming smart these days and they are mostly interested in quality content. This leaves you with the option of being creative with your personal domain name.

You have the opportunity to use your name to showcase your expertise and creativity. Your personal domain name does not have to be pointed to your website alone, you can do the following

i. Create a personalized email with your domain name. first@lastname.com

ii. Design and showcase a superb landing page that reveals your work. Check these examples.

iii.Use your Domain name for link shortening /forwarding

iv. Show albums or even invite people for an event

I just listed a few out of many awesome ideas. It is all left to your creative genius and for Google to amplify it.

3. It is about Reputation

Have you ever tried to type your name on Google search and see the result? You might discover the following:

I. You are not the only one bearing your name
II. There are information about you that are not ethical or professional
III. Your name does not even exist in the search. (If you discover number 1)
IV. Your name is used for SPAM. It is painful and can spoil one’s image

If you haven’t suffered through any of this then count your lucky stars but you still need to think about your reputation.

4. What You Can Control

First impressions do matter. Being on Social Media has its benefits but ask yourself this question, is your data 100% safe on Social Media? Can you predict the life line of the Social Media platform? There are so many Social Media Platforms these days

Social Media isn’t an advocate for controlling information and has been known for causing controversies. If you want to create a positive impression, Is it not best to invest with just a little amount of money that will last you a lifetime?

4. Think about the Future

If you have gotten a personal domain name and think that you have just wasted your money, I don’t really think so. If you haven’t gotten your personal Domain name, I suggest you do.

Personal domain names might not be the trend now but in a few years from now, you will need it. The perception of websites keep changing every day and there are more interesting domains popping everyday like .me, .vu, .in etc.

Now there was a time, domain names were expensive and owned by professionals but these days, you can get a domain name at no cost. So get a personal domain name, think about what you want to do with it and do it.

Source: http://www.awazieikechi.com/why-your-real-name-matters-in-the-domain-space-dkngtopblogger/

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Your Real Name Matters In The Domain Name System (DNS) by Warlord3000(m): 6:07am On Oct 06, 2015
Impressive write up
Re: Why Your Real Name Matters In The Domain Name System (DNS) by seoxpert(m): 12:26am On Apr 27, 2017
Great writeup
Re: Why Your Real Name Matters In The Domain Name System (DNS) by Nobody: 7:01am On Apr 27, 2017
Insightful
Re: Why Your Real Name Matters In The Domain Name System (DNS) by M2dX(m): 7:01am On Apr 27, 2017
Nice
Re: Why Your Real Name Matters In The Domain Name System (DNS) by fortifiedng: 7:07am On Apr 27, 2017
Nice write up but I don't really go with it.

OK your blog talks about entertainment and your domain is www.ayodele..com it does not really sound that nice. Let's say your blog needs to grow larger mehn that name doesn't look that nice to be used

2 Likes

Re: Why Your Real Name Matters In The Domain Name System (DNS) by Alasi20(m): 7:30am On Apr 27, 2017
And......

Brb
Re: Why Your Real Name Matters In The Domain Name System (DNS) by Jeel: 7:34am On Apr 27, 2017
Mmmm I have mine already.
Re: Why Your Real Name Matters In The Domain Name System (DNS) by sunnedee2: 8:11am On Apr 27, 2017
Because this thread is not about tonto or celebrity, see how it is dry.
Nice one op.
Will consider it sha.

1 Like

Re: Why Your Real Name Matters In The Domain Name System (DNS) by Oladelson(m): 8:14am On Apr 27, 2017
ok
Re: Why Your Real Name Matters In The Domain Name System (DNS) by Nobody: 9:26am On Apr 27, 2017
lol pure balderdash, this only works for religious organizations or orators. so because linda used her full name for her domain name, you too want to use yours abi? if u arent popular nobody will bother clicking on your site. its best u name your site with what your site is about.
Re: Why Your Real Name Matters In The Domain Name System (DNS) by nicko28(f): 9:51am On Apr 27, 2017
Nice but there is nothing new about this, even without domain name, if you are in any social network, just text your name into Google search, you will see information about you and others that has the same surname. Anyway have a domain with your name as domain name is not a bad ideas but with that you no longer have privacy.
Re: Why Your Real Name Matters In The Domain Name System (DNS) by Solidkay(m): 11:49am On Apr 27, 2017
ichommy
Re: Why Your Real Name Matters In The Domain Name System (DNS) by nkemdave(m): 12:20pm On Apr 27, 2017
Great Post

(1) (Reply)

SEO Tips Bloggers Can Use To Improve Their Ranking / How Do I Transfer Money In My Payeer And Payza Acct To My Nigerian Bank Acct? / The Secret To Getting A Lot Of Web Design Work In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.