Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,746 members, 7,820,574 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:24 PM

Crop Vs Animal Farming Which One Is More Profitable? - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Crop Vs Animal Farming Which One Is More Profitable? (21622 Views)

Banana Plantation And Plantain Plantation..which Is More Profitable? / The Fast Money Making Machine Crop In Pictures You Can Start Now!!. / Snail Farming Vs Grasscutter: Which One Is More Profitable? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Crop Vs Animal Farming Which One Is More Profitable? by Etesam(m): 5:04pm On Oct 04, 2017
:>
RichDad1:
Insightful. However, my assertion in more grammatical. Thanks anyways.
Re: Crop Vs Animal Farming Which One Is More Profitable? by Lesgupnigeria(m): 8:55pm On Oct 05, 2017
FarmTech:

Tnks.
Yes, and I'm seriously considering that.
Ok
Re: Crop Vs Animal Farming Which One Is More Profitable? by strategy02: 3:51am On Oct 06, 2017
Best ever and well said.
Re: Crop Vs Animal Farming Which One Is More Profitable? by Lesgupnigeria(m): 7:43am On Oct 06, 2017
fluentinfor:
Personally for me, this year has been one of the most challenging. Why?

1. I checked with my colleagues and from what i have seen so far, theft within farms is extremely high. Workers steal more this year. Why? I checked the salary of workers and it ranges from N15,000 - N30,000. Let us apply inflation to this figure and we see that the real value is like slashing it into 2 places. N30,000 of today worths N15,000 of three years ago. So, workers have become desperate.

2. Theft from outside: Neigbours and any random person are potential thieves on farms. It is true.

3. Manufacturers of Agricultural raw materials have become experts in cheating their customers. The content of the product is lower than what is written on the pack. Urea is 46 - 0 - 0. You will be lucky to get 15 - 0 - 0. This is how bad it is and no one is checking it.

Why i still favor crops. Sure, if you have your cash, you can endure just 2 months, enter bush and monitor a cucumber farm. You can endure one month and stay fully on ground to monitor tomato nursery and return 2 weeks before harvest to monitor it for another one month to make sure you get over 80% of your harvest

It seems farming in Nigeria needs the presence of the owner. It is what i have realised this year. This recession has turned everyone to opportunists.

To monitor an animal farm needs special grace but due to short term nature of crop farming especially vegetables, I favor it.

What is the hope of farm owners who cannot stay 24/7 on farms?

Ideas and solutions will be appreciated.

Yes,you are right.
You have to devote at least 18hrs to your animals especially poultry business although some have all the time in the world to attend to their animals.
Don't you think if someone does not have the time (24hrs per day to monitor his/her animal farm or even 2 months to monitor his crops) and he is interested in farming,will he have to forget about farming?
Re: Crop Vs Animal Farming Which One Is More Profitable? by BECALMBECALM(m): 8:53am On Oct 06, 2017
I think if one does not have time to monitor his farm, he should close down the farm.I also think it is risky to allow other people to manage your farm.If you dont have time for your business you better close it down than to allow someone cause you high blood pressure.
Re: Crop Vs Animal Farming Which One Is More Profitable? by mogacezil: 10:29am On Oct 06, 2017
We Maintain Your Website Investment Website So You Can Focus On Growing Your Business

Re: Crop Vs Animal Farming Which One Is More Profitable? by mogacezil: 10:34am On Oct 06, 2017
Learn GRAPHICS Training

Re: Crop Vs Animal Farming Which One Is More Profitable? by mogacezil: 10:36am On Oct 06, 2017
Learn GRAPHICS DESIGN

Re: Crop Vs Animal Farming Which One Is More Profitable? by Nobody: 12:00pm On Oct 06, 2017
The principle of business applies to every business including Agriculture in regards to if one should allow another person run it or not.

It is simple. If your business cannot function without you, it is not yet stabilized and it is still a small business. But who says small businesses cannot be stabilized. So, i think it is more of stability.

Here is my point. It doesnt mean you arent doing well if you must monitor your farm but the truth is that just a slight challenge, you are gone. All can crumble in a twikling of an eye. Many things can contribute to it which are out of your control. And such is the case in Nigeria.

Now, any industry that needs monitoring won't be progressive. If busineses in an industry get crushed easily, the industry is messed up.
Re: Crop Vs Animal Farming Which One Is More Profitable? by FarmTech(m): 2:55pm On Oct 06, 2017
fluentinfor:
The principle of business applies to every business including Agriculture in regards to if one should allow another person run it or not.

It is simple. If your business cannot function without you, it is not yet stabilized and it is still a small business. But who says small businesses cannot be stabilized. So, i think it is more of stability.

Here is my point. It doesnt mean you arent doing well if you must monitor your farm but the truth is that just a slight challenge, you are gone. All can crumble in a twikling of an eye. Many things can contribute to it which are out of your control. And such is the case in Nigeria.

Now, any industry that needs monitoring won't be progressive. If busineses in an industry get crushed easily, the industry is messed up.
I agree with u. If u set things up properly, you'll be able to detect the slightest theft. Put things under the care of individual wkèrs and hold them accountable. Get to know how much feed ur birds need to attain a certain weight, install security cameras if possible, restrict access to certain areas. There is a lot one can do to fight theft.
Re: Crop Vs Animal Farming Which One Is More Profitable? by Nobody: 10:44pm On Oct 06, 2017
FarmTech:

I agree with u. If u set things up properly, you'll be able to detect the slightest theft. Put things under the care of individual wkèrs and hold them accountable. Get to know how much feed ur birds need to attain a certain weight, install security cameras if possible, restrict access to certain areas. There is a lot one can do to fight theft.

Start small, grow big will not allow Nigerians follow your recommendations. But the real phrase is not Start small, grow big; it is start with extreme low budget, struggle hard to see if you can survive. Lol

I have heard situations where people want to start 1 acre veggie farm with N100,000 in the name of start small, grow big. Use hose to irrigsse instead of buying real irrigation set. Use one worker when 5 are needed. All in the name of start small, grow big.

If it is half a plot you want to do, do it well. Set up excellently but make sure that the half plot will give good profit. I always tell people to first analyse their breakeven limit. How big or small should you make it to breakeven. After getting that, add to it. That addition is your profit.

Fact: 99.9% just dive into Agriculture like they are experts. Not even a business plan done.
Re: Crop Vs Animal Farming Which One Is More Profitable? by Lesgupnigeria(m): 9:24pm On Oct 09, 2017
FarmTech:

You are right.Putting a system in place will save you time to attend to other things.
Re: Crop Vs Animal Farming Which One Is More Profitable? by Lesgupnigeria(m): 10:15pm On Oct 10, 2017
fluentinfor:

Start small, grow big will not allow Nigerians follow your recommendations. But the real phrase is not Start small, grow big; it is start with extreme low budget, struggle hard to see if you can survive. Lol

I have heard situations where people want to start 1 acre veggie farm with N100,000 in the name of start small, grow big. Use hose to irrigsse instead of buying real irrigation set. Use one worker when 5 are needed. All in the name of start small, grow big.

If it is half a plot you want to do, do it well. Set up excellently but make sure that the half plot will give good profit. I always tell people to first analyse their breakeven limit. How big or small should you make it to breakeven. After getting that, add to it. That addition is your profit.

Fact: 99.9% just dive into Agriculture like they are experts. Not even a business plan done.
Right.you can't say it better.
Re: Crop Vs Animal Farming Which One Is More Profitable? by mailemmanite: 4:39pm On Jan 22, 2018
Hi Guys

Good to be here. McPremiere Food is setting up a broiler processing plant in Port Harcourt ready to process between 500 – 1000 birds per hour which will Cater for the South East and South South Region of the country. We are inviting broiler farmers in the region to join our network of out-growers or contract farmer to supply our plant with 8wks old broilers or birds at live weight of between 1.8-2.5 kg.

The Farmers should have the capacity of breading 5000+ birds. This present farmers the opportunity to sell out their birds as at when due and not have to spend their profit feeding their stock after attaining maturity.

Please contact me if you’re interested or know any body or farmers that are interested. In contacting me, please state your farm address and location, Farm Capacity and your contact information- email and phone preferred.

Please note, Terms and Conditions Apply.

email – mailemmanite@ymail.com
Regards
Emmanuel
Re: Crop Vs Animal Farming Which One Is More Profitable? by NaijaPress: 7:24am On Jul 31, 2020
I will go for live stock because the sales comes in bulk, imagine being involved in cattle or goat rearing what you get to sell during festive season, anyway it all depends on your capacity....
Re: Crop Vs Animal Farming Which One Is More Profitable? by Lesgupnigeria(m): 2:45pm On Jul 31, 2020
NaijaPress:
I will go for live stock because the sales comes in bulk, imagine being involved in cattle or goat rearing what you get to sell during festive season, anyway it all depends on your capacity....
https://www.nigeriabusinessplan.com.ng/livestock-business-plan-in-nigeria/
Also depends on your interest as well.
Re: Crop Vs Animal Farming Which One Is More Profitable? by ublight: 5:51pm On Jul 31, 2020
seated.
Re: Crop Vs Animal Farming Which One Is More Profitable? by Lesgupnigeria(m): 9:06pm On Aug 01, 2020
ublight:
seated.
Where is your biro and paper? grin
Re: Crop Vs Animal Farming Which One Is More Profitable? by ublight: 3:43pm On Aug 02, 2020
Lesgupnigeria:
Where is your biro and paper? grin
hahaha. Boss
Re: Crop Vs Animal Farming Which One Is More Profitable? by ublight: 3:44pm On Aug 02, 2020
mailemmanite:
Hi Guys

Good to be here. McPremiere Food is setting up a broiler processing plant in Port Harcourt ready to process between 500 – 1000 birds per hour which will Cater for the South East and South South Region of the country. We are inviting broiler farmers in the region to join our network of out-growers or contract farmer to supply our plant with 8wks old broilers or birds at live weight of between 1.8-2.5 kg.

The Farmers should have the capacity of breading 5000+ birds. This present farmers the opportunity to sell out their birds as at when due and not have to spend their profit feeding their stock after attaining maturity.

Please contact me if you’re interested or know any body or farmers that are interested. In contacting me, please state your farm address and location, Farm Capacity and your contact information- email and phone preferred.

Please note, Terms and Conditions Apply.

email – mailemmanite@ymail.com
Regards
Emmanuel

I have just 300 birds.
Re: Crop Vs Animal Farming Which One Is More Profitable? by Obatobi1(m): 5:39pm On Aug 02, 2020
I believe it is mainly dependent on what you have passion for. The passion you have for it will determine how well you manage your farm (be it animal or crops). Both are profitable.

I am into both animal and crop farming and I can tell they both require different level of energy.
Re: Crop Vs Animal Farming Which One Is More Profitable? by Lesgupnigeria(m): 2:13pm On Aug 04, 2020
Obatobi1:
I believe it is mainly dependent on what you have passion for. The passion you have for it will determine how well you manage your farm (be it animal or crops). Both are profitable.

I am into both animal and crop farming and I can tell they both require different level of energy.
Right.
It truly require different level of energy and work
Re: Crop Vs Animal Farming Which One Is More Profitable? by bull67: 12:00am On Aug 05, 2020
anything you do in life, you should not put all your eggs in one basket. one of your business can fail. so it better to do both.
Re: Crop Vs Animal Farming Which One Is More Profitable? by Lesgupnigeria(m): 10:02am On Aug 05, 2020
bull67:
anything you do in life, you should not put all your eggs in one basket. one of your business can fail. so it better to do both.
In a sense, those of us that are so.neck-deep into one area should be looking at diversifying into other areas be dat o.
Re: Crop Vs Animal Farming Which One Is More Profitable? by Lesgupnigeria(m): 9:47am On Aug 07, 2020
Re: Crop Vs Animal Farming Which One Is More Profitable? by Lesgupnigeria(m): 9:14pm On Aug 09, 2020
Nigeria was once one of the food basket of the world on the 60's ,positioning us into No1 or 2 in oilpalm ,cocoa,cassava and groundnut production.

The economy was very strong,exchange rate of major currencies of the world were almost at par $1 was almost equal 1N, massive edifice such as the most beautiful university was built with money generated from the sales of these crops.

Many Nigerians who are engage in agriculture then prospered with sufficient food for local consumption and export.

Many years down the line,we discovered oil and boom! we are faced with lots of economic problem,

Bastardised economy,rise in exchange rate etc

Fortunately,we are now back to the era of the 80's as we are now diversifying back to what make our country the giant of Africa and prosper us.

There is no better time than now to get involved.

As we are now having more to be made from the agricultural value chain.
I believe that the future belongs to those that key in now.

Would you join the movement? 

Want to own your profitable farm?
we've got you covered
Farmland are available for sale in ijebu-igbo, ilorin and ogbomoso.
Re: Crop Vs Animal Farming Which One Is More Profitable? by Lesgupnigeria(m): 6:03am On Aug 23, 2020
Re: Crop Vs Animal Farming Which One Is More Profitable? by Lesgupnigeria(m): 7:17am On Aug 25, 2020
#Gogreen

Re: Crop Vs Animal Farming Which One Is More Profitable? by opeyemix: 9:19am On Aug 25, 2020
I'm currently doing rabbit, goat and sheep farming before the end of this year I plan to add cow fattening and goose...... Of course I chose a good location where feed is free currently and will be cheap even if I have to buy during the dry season
Re: Crop Vs Animal Farming Which One Is More Profitable? by Lesgupnigeria(m): 6:59am On Aug 28, 2020
opeyemix:
I'm currently doing rabbit, goat and sheep farming before the end of this year I plan to add cow fattening and goose...... Of course I chose a good location where feed is free currently and will be cheap even if I have to buy during the dry season
Good one.
I think Integrating it with crop cultivation will also be an added advantage to your enterprise
Abi?
Re: Crop Vs Animal Farming Which One Is More Profitable? by opeyemix: 10:47am On Aug 28, 2020
Lesgupnigeria:

Good one.
I think Integrating it with crop cultivation will also be an added advantage to your enterprise
Abi?

LOL I Wil definitely do that of crops I'm planning a nice plantation that will yield 750k twice yearly and will give me that figure or more for the next 8-10 years without spending on anything except to weed out the land once in a while
Re: Crop Vs Animal Farming Which One Is More Profitable? by ublight: 10:20pm On Aug 28, 2020
which crop is dis?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I Need A Boer Goat Breed / Bag Of Rice To Sell For N10, 000 In June - Aminu Goronyo / Cross Rivers State "Rice City" Project In Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.