Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,410 members, 7,822,901 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 07:04 PM

Who Deserves Credit For A Hit Song, The Music Producer Or The Artiste? - Music/Radio (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Who Deserves Credit For A Hit Song, The Music Producer Or The Artiste? (18547 Views)

HEADIES 2018: Who Deserves The Rookie Of The Year Award? / Who Deserves To Be Nominated For “next Rated” Category At The Headies 2016 ? / Who Deserves Credit For A Hit Song, The Music Producer Or The Artiste? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Deserves Credit For A Hit Song, The Music Producer Or The Artiste? by Themandator: 7:15am On Nov 04, 2015
Producer.... He not only makes the bests but arranges the lyrics and directs the artist as to when to shooooout and raaaap and sinnnnng
Re: Who Deserves Credit For A Hit Song, The Music Producer Or The Artiste? by francotunsco: 7:17am On Nov 04, 2015
NEPABOY:
Can somebody pls Summarize the post for me?
Read the caption!
Re: Who Deserves Credit For A Hit Song, The Music Producer Or The Artiste? by Nobody: 7:22am On Nov 04, 2015
delectablegyal:

gv me a link to one of ur tracks.
Still writing songs dear. Not set for studio yet, still a student u understand. Just taking my time. Will keep u in touch
Re: Who Deserves Credit For A Hit Song, The Music Producer Or The Artiste? by Nobody: 7:23am On Nov 04, 2015
kullozone:

Don't conclude yet bro. There are a whole lot of us who loves good music in naija. I also think if a Nigerian comes up with something similar to what Adele does she/he would make waves because that's not what people are used to down here. It'll be different from the normal naija beat which would probably shoot the artiste to limelight.
alright. Still taking my time
Re: Who Deserves Credit For A Hit Song, The Music Producer Or The Artiste? by Nobody: 7:25am On Nov 04, 2015
247notire:
Hmmm. Got that voice? Hit me with a link to download a Gud song of urs...
lol , am trying not yet bro. But soon. One thing at a time. I was told not to rush things. Just keep Cool. Silvermania is coming
Re: Who Deserves Credit For A Hit Song, The Music Producer Or The Artiste? by delectablegyal(f): 7:31am On Nov 04, 2015
silvermania:
Still writing songs dear. Not set for studio yet, still a student u understand. Just taking my time. Will keep u in touch

rubbish. Do u think being able to write good lyrics automatically means u have a good voice?
Go into the studio and cook up some good music, share it, let us listen.
I've heard beautiful tracks on nairaland, the artiste have nt blown yet bt with what i heard, they will go places if they keep up the good work.
Re: Who Deserves Credit For A Hit Song, The Music Producer Or The Artiste? by Chocboyslim: 7:38am On Nov 04, 2015
Is as dsame as asking who deserves the best cook? "The chef" or "The server"?.... I think is the producer*
Re: Who Deserves Credit For A Hit Song, The Music Producer Or The Artiste? by Nobody: 7:39am On Nov 04, 2015
delectablegyal:

rubbish. Do u think being able to write good lyrics automatically means u have a good voice?
Go into the studio and cook up some good music, share it, let us listen.
I've heard beautiful tracks on nairaland, the artiste have nt blown yet bt with what i heard, they will go places if they keep up the good work.

i understand you, but that is not my plan for now sis. Everyone has his /her own style. Thanks for the advice, i appreciate
Re: Who Deserves Credit For A Hit Song, The Music Producer Or The Artiste? by phrezzz: 7:41am On Nov 04, 2015
Ekelly, YoungJohn, Sarz, Donjazzy currently the best in that particular order.
Re: Who Deserves Credit For A Hit Song, The Music Producer Or The Artiste? by delectablegyal(f): 7:41am On Nov 04, 2015
silvermania:
i understand you, but that is not my plan for now sis. Everyone has his /her own style. Thanks for the advice, i appreciate

uwc.
Re: Who Deserves Credit For A Hit Song, The Music Producer Or The Artiste? by Nobody: 7:51am On Nov 04, 2015
delectablegyal:

uwc.
i wanted to start form either the idols or project fame but my mum insists i finish schooling first. Dont know if the two can go along because I might go for the auditions and anything might happen, will i leav school activities for the competition? So that is it, but i love music.
Re: Who Deserves Credit For A Hit Song, The Music Producer Or The Artiste? by delectablegyal(f): 8:26am On Nov 04, 2015
silvermania:
i wanted to start form either the idols or project fame but my mum insists i finish schooling first. Dont know if the two can go along because I might go for the auditions and anything might happen, will i leav school activities for the competition? So that is it, but i love music.

mummy's boy#Smiles

if u av access to a studio, jez do smtn. Even if it's a freestyle, let people listen and be aware dat an uncommon act is abt to mk his way into limelight.
Perhaps, u cn sweep away dat i.diot that calls himself nairaland star. He hs just one s.tupid song. His forte is that, he knows how to pull crowd and dats why his song generated so much downloads.
Re: Who Deserves Credit For A Hit Song, The Music Producer Or The Artiste? by rebirthiix: 8:30am On Nov 04, 2015
It depends... For artistes like psquare.... Itz d artistes. For artistes like timaya... Most definately d producers
Re: Who Deserves Credit For A Hit Song, The Music Producer Or The Artiste? by charlesucheh(m): 8:30am On Nov 04, 2015
This OP had a preconceived biased mind set for producers before his write up, so let's forget about him throwing up the floor for objectivity when he had already been subjective.
Now back to the matter, looking at a great art like WIZKID, he can jump on any beat by any producer and his music lovers will still like it. Banky foresaw this in him before bringing him on. So, irrespective of a known producer, wiz was like a time bomb ticking to blow.
Reaching out to all GOONS; Olamide used an under-ground producer(Young john) and brought him to fame irrespective of the fact that he (olamide) could have gone to other made producers.
It's not that these producers don't play critical roles in the success of a song o! But I want to let you know today with the aforementioned examples that; the relationship between a producer and an artiste is strictly contractual. The artiste uses his inner talent which to me forms 70% of the whole work, while the producer brings in the 40 which gives touches to the song.
In essence, what am trying to say is that ; AN ARTIST HAS MORE CHANCES OF SURVIVING WITHOUT A PRODUCER, THAN THE LATER'S STAND.
Re: Who Deserves Credit For A Hit Song, The Music Producer Or The Artiste? by Nobody: 8:37am On Nov 04, 2015
delectablegyal:

mummy's boy#Smiles

if u av access to a studio, jez do smtn. Even if it's a freestyle, let people listen and be aware dat an uncommon act is abt to mk his way into limelight.
Perhaps, u cn sweep away dat i.diot that calls himself nairaland star. He hs just one s.tupid song. His forte is that, he knows how to pull crowd and dats why his song generated so much downloads.
lol, will be working on that . Thanks so much. I won't aim to displace anyone i believe the sky is wide enough for the birds to fly. I pray for long life and more grace, when the time comes you will hear from me. Thanks for your support and advice.
Re: Who Deserves Credit For A Hit Song, The Music Producer Or The Artiste? by Nobody: 9:01am On Nov 04, 2015
producers are lyk bricklayers, d artistes are the house owners.
Re: Who Deserves Credit For A Hit Song, The Music Producer Or The Artiste? by Ziggyzito(m): 9:49am On Nov 04, 2015
martinsaba:

Don jazzy wasn't the one that produced why me for dbanj, please do your research well, thanks
what do you mean? Jazzy produced it.
Re: Who Deserves Credit For A Hit Song, The Music Producer Or The Artiste? by BenzEne1(m): 10:33am On Nov 04, 2015
I don't think naija artiste get serious on lyrics. Its d beat that gets most Nigerians going. I luv d beats of Tekno. But jeez, he doesn't say anything meaningful in his song. Producers like Don Jazzy, Young John, Coublon, Cobhams, Pheelz, Jay Pizzle, are making hit songs which our artiste kill with meaningless lyrics. What on earth is Fashola eleniyan.......

1 Like

Re: Who Deserves Credit For A Hit Song, The Music Producer Or The Artiste? by charlesbailey(m): 11:38am On Nov 04, 2015
sheyi shay? pls remove her name,she's staining that list..
but you're right about every other thing
247notire:
Truth is, all over the world, and this is coming fro a music freak; it's all about the producer's genius cos he is the one who creates what we the listeners eventually hear as the released version. They also help the artiste to "make" the music in most cases by offering one or two tips that would help. Although it must be noted that there are exceptional artistes who even if they did an acapella, they wud still take our breaths away e.g Michael Jackson, Sam Smith, Emeli Sande, Dare Art Alade, Asa, James Blunt, Sheyi Shay... We knw them nw... Add yours!
Re: Who Deserves Credit For A Hit Song, The Music Producer Or The Artiste? by magneto(m): 1:01pm On Nov 04, 2015
These producers get paid for their work by the artistes. They have thereby forfeited every right to claim credit. My humble opinion.
Re: Who Deserves Credit For A Hit Song, The Music Producer Or The Artiste? by dwesternmall: 1:49pm On Nov 04, 2015
Westernmall Nigeria Ltd is hiring.

Westernmall Nigeria Ltd is an online store looking to take over the Nigerian market and offer customers better options in terms of shopping.

We are presently recruiting field sales representatives (Genies)... The Starting pay is 40k and attracts handsome commissions for more sales(more details later)
Our office is at Alausa shopping mall, Obafemi Awolowo way, ikeja. Lagos.
Thus you must be Lagos based to work with us as you will report to the office on a daily/weekly basis.

interested candidates should send their CV's to careers@westernmall.co.uk
or go to http://www.westernmall.co.uk/Home/Careers to apply

Make the Subject of the email: GENIE!!!
More details will be provided to you via email
Tell a friend.

Regards
Westernmall
Re: Who Deserves Credit For A Hit Song, The Music Producer Or The Artiste? by AlphaDibia(m): 2:05pm On Nov 04, 2015
Put song for youtube. Na them I dey give the real credit to..
Re: Who Deserves Credit For A Hit Song, The Music Producer Or The Artiste? by musicwriter(m): 2:22pm On Nov 04, 2015
Emodeee:
Here is gazcoin's submission on tooxclusive.com

Nigerian Best producers of all time that deserve recpect and loyalties from the artistes are
1. Nelson Brown (Plantashun boiz- u & I)
2. OJB (2face- African queen)
3. Jokaynie (Dj Jimmy Jatt -Style)
4. Don Jazzy (D’banj- Why me)
5. Sossick (Dagrin- pon pon pon)
6. Dr frabz (Y Q- Efi me le)
7. Sarz (Dagrin- Kondo)
8. Jay Sleek (2face- Only me)
9. Laylow (morachi- hapuya like that)
10. Jesse Jagz (Ice price- Oleku)
11. M.I ( MI- Safe)
12. Del B (Kcee- limpopo)
13 Shizzi (Davido- Dami duro)
14. Cohbams Asuquo (Banky W- strong thing)
15. Yung John
16. Pheelz
17. Dj coublon
18. Rayce
19. Yung D
20. K-Solo
21. Terry G
22. ID Cabasa
23. Baby Fresh
24. Phyno
25. Selebobo
26. Tekno
27. D’tunes
28. J. Martins
29. Samklef
30. Leriq
31. Legendary beatz
32. Paul okoye
33. Ikon
34. Ty mix
35. Josh beatz
36. Beats by jay
37. Microwox
38. Xblaze
39. XYZ
40. Wizboyy
41. Dekumzy (bracket- yori yori)
42. J fem production
43. Tspice
44. Xela
45. Puffy t
46. Dj zeez
47. Eldee
48. Kraft but now know as MASTER KRAFT
49. E kelly
50. Dj klem
Etc

Best producers of all time?.

Some of these people you listed here, if you remove a computer and music software from the table they'll become useless in music production.

I'm sure you haven't heard of Lemmy Jackson. This man is the definition of a producer, even Don Jazzy will down his hats for this man. Lemmy Jackson is the only person I can compare to Quincy Jones (credit Michael Jackson).

His Credits: Ras Kimono, Majek Fashek, Evi Edna Ogoli, Onyeka Onwenu, Isaac Black, almost all top musicians of the 80's.

Don Jazzy doesn't appear to me to be a versatile producer. I've never heard him do other genres of music, like reggae, blues. Just a thought.

There are hundreds of better producers here in Nigeria who haven't been able to locate a good artiste that ''blow'', that's why you don't know them.

2 Likes

Re: Who Deserves Credit For A Hit Song, The Music Producer Or The Artiste? by musicwriter(m): 2:36pm On Nov 04, 2015
RickRichards:
Of course the producers do most of the work. Many Nigerian singers are not even "musicians" in the real sense of the word. And why is Gospel not on your list? You've got to be kidding me.

It will take a good musician to help the producer create a good beat. Good musicians are the ones that knows exactly the beat they want right there in the studio, and of course can suggest it to the producer. Most of the time the producer will use it as suggested or may make little modifications.

A good musician, like Asa, 2face doesn't just sit down for his beats to be created. He must have made some initial inputs to the beats and shared ideas with the producers before leaving the studio. In fact, creating the beat is about sharing ideas forth and back between the artiste and the producer. A good producer knows as well that he can't make the most without the input of the artiste.

My best songs are those I suggested the beat and the producer rendered them, it makes the singing and recording flow naturally.

It will take a good artiste to make a good song. The beat alone is not the song.

Talking from experience.
Re: Who Deserves Credit For A Hit Song, The Music Producer Or The Artiste? by martinsaba: 9:55am On Feb 02, 2016
Ziggyzito:
what do you mean? Jazzy produced it.
my friend he wasnt the one that produced it. it was docta frabz

1 Like

Re: Who Deserves Credit For A Hit Song, The Music Producer Or The Artiste? by Kemzykyngbeatz(m): 7:37am On Dec 23, 2018
[color=#000000][/color] hi
Emodeee:
A lot of factors come to play on this subject matter about who is appropriately deserving for the credits to a hit song, whether it is the music producer or the artiste. The way our industry operates, it is undecided, the strings that determine the hit status of a song. It goes beyond just having panache vocals, a popularly known producer giving mad beats andSuka Soundsin the mix. There’s even songs that never saw the light of the charts simply because no proper hype was attached to it, notwithstanding the fact that it checked all the right boxes. In some shores outside of here, songwriters even demand music credits as part of their rights considering they’re the ones responsible for the lyrical framework.

More times than not, when a song becomes a hit, the artiste is extolled for his (or her) level of genius exuded on the track and so for the purpose of this post, I shall be focusing on the two parties involved in making the music (sounds), which has largely become the basis for our judgment – the artiste and the music producer. In furtherance to adjudging this matter, it will be noteworthy to always consider the prominence of both artiste and producer, their technical knowledge of their art (singing and music production) as well as the hit songs in question. Let me start with Don Jazzy (I bet you already guessed it), his heavy involvement in music matters not only brought him to the forefront of affairs but has kept him as a constant front row player, which continues to set him apart from his colleagues in the industry. This also explains why almost everyone wants to get him on their track because his records speak volumes. Is it Korede Bello or Dr Sid, even D’Prince, Di’Ja and then Reekado Banks? The trend stays consistent as he continues to churn out hit productions for his Mavin crew. I obviously won’t forget to mention D’Banj and Wande Coal, and how their different paths have swiveled since severing ties with Don Jazzy.

Cobhams is another producer whose art is equally vested in the music. His trend isn’t any different and that’s why Timi Dakolo, Dare Art Alade, Bez especially haven’t looked else where since realizing he had already developed a penchant for making their individual magic tick. Even Banky W, when he feels pressed to go back to his roots, he looks no further than Cobhams.

Samklef would be the producer that founded the Wizkid sound and tailored it into some level of consistency. Back then, you hear Wizkid and you just think… “this is Samklef!” The excuse now is that Wizzy’s sound has gone international, yet there’s that Samklef fine-tune in Wizkid’s songs that we really used to love but no longer get anymore since he parted ways with him for good.

Could I possibly forget OJB and J. Martins? Never! These two are responsible for a large amount of hits from the early to mid millennial era. And their discography covers works from 2face Idibia, Ruggedman, D’Banj, Wizkid, Durella, Goldie,

Resonance, Yemi Alade, Waje, P-Square, Flavour and Bracket (just to mention a few) respectively. OJB is that guy whose production launched a fine crop of today’s a-list artistes into fame and J. Martins has never relented in well-doing since since. Many artistes owe these two real big!

There’s also Masterkraft, Tee-Y Mix, Pheelz, D’Tunes, Young John, DJ Coublon and their likes who amidst the tight monopolistic turfs associated with the industry, they still shone through like diamonds from their rough to stealing seats at the high table and eventually becoming the most sought after producers of today. Alternatively, there are instances with some producers where the artiste has succeeded in building a personality that will always overshadow the producer’s works. This is evident with the likes of Selebobo and Shizzi whose stellar works can be tied to unarguably Africa’s best artistes, Yemi Alade and Davido. No matter how epoch their inputs are in the music, we might never really get past overlooking Ms Alade and Davido to herald their producers solely for the genius work done on their records. Leriq suffered this feat with Burna Boy as with Del’B who still experiences same with Chidinma, Flavour, Wizkid and even Kcee. For those of us conversant with industry trends, you must have noticed that more producers are turning artistes in a bid to fight this anomaly. Those with vocal prowess have taken to singing while others who have crafted a signature sound, task themselves with doing collabos. Oh, I just remembered Sarz now. He was quite the bad guy then and calling the shots. Although he remains respected but he is hardly ever remembered seeing as he has almost fizzled out into oblivion now. The thought is indeed very painful.

Thankfully, this isn’t an ill that has befallen only us here in Nigeria, it’s a global fight that has been on for decades. Producers all over the world are not duly recognized or well appreciated for their efforts and contributions to building the industry. This would explain the movie “Straight Outta Compton” starring Dr Dre, Ice Cube and a couple other international producers trying to pass a message across although from a racial angle but we get the big picture. Some producers never get any attention and the little recognition a few others get, is sometimes not even enough. Now, they have all resorted to lacing their sound tags on every production they ever laid their hands on by a means of announcing themselves (and their works) to the world. Will that ever be enough? Obviously not. Even if it’ll suffice on the interim, how long really will it last?

It’s over to you guys… care to join me speculate?
Written byJim Donnett
@jimancipation

Source: http://tooxclusive.com/editorial/who-deserves-credit-for-a-hit-song-the-music-producer-or-the-artiste/
Re: Who Deserves Credit For A Hit Song, The Music Producer Or The Artiste? by Kemzykyngbeatz(m): 7:45am On Dec 23, 2018
musicwriter:

Best producers of all time?.

Some of these people you listed here, if you remove a computer and music software from the table they'll become useless in music production.

I'm sure you haven't heard of Lemmy Jackson. This man is the definition of a producer, even Don Jazzy will down his hats for this man. Lemmy Jackson is the only person I can compare to Quincy Jones (credit Michael Jackson).

His Credits: Ras Kimono, Majek Fashek, Evi Edna Ogoli, Onyeka Onwenu, Isaac Black, almost all top musicians of the 80's.

Don Jazzy doesn't appear to me to be a versatile producer. I've never heard him do other genres of music, like reggae, blues. Just a thought.

There are hundreds of better producers here in Nigeria who haven't been able to locate a good artiste that ''blow'', that's why you don't know them.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Deserves Credit For A Hit Song, The Music Producer Or The Artiste? by Empiremp3(m): 12:42pm On Apr 27, 2019
Please can I post the link to download any new songs on my site, www.empiremp3.com here on nairaland??
Re: Who Deserves Credit For A Hit Song, The Music Producer Or The Artiste? by HEYDAYMUZIK(m): 8:38am On Jan 25, 2020
Check the latest kid in the Nigerian Music industry. @JPcrusifix is definitely going to wow you. Check Out his latest single GAGA.. The Vibe of the Moment. See link below
https://www.nairaland.com/5650417/jp-crusifix-gaga

Re: Who Deserves Credit For A Hit Song, The Music Producer Or The Artiste? by Freshafricanltd: 5:24pm On Mar 06, 2020
Nice breakdown

ote author=Emodeee post=38718921]Here is gazcoin's submission on tooxclusive.com

Nigerian Best producers of all time that deserve recpect and loyalties from the artistes are
1. Nelson Brown (Plantashun boiz- u & I)
2. OJB (2face- African queen)
3. Jokaynie (Dj Jimmy Jatt -Style)
4. Don Jazzy (D’banj- Why me)
5. Sossick (Dagrin- pon pon pon)
6. Dr frabz (Y Q- Efi me le)
7. Sarz (Dagrin- Kondo)
8. Jay Sleek (2face- Only me)
9. Laylow (morachi- hapuya like that)
10. Jesse Jagz (Ice price- Oleku)
11. M.I ( MI- Safe)
12. Del B (Kcee- limpopo)
13 Shizzi (Davido- Dami duro)
14. Cohbams Asuquo (Banky W- strong thing)
15. Yung John
16. Pheelz
17. Dj coublon
18. Rayce
19. Yung D
20. K-Solo
21. Terry G
22. ID Cabasa
23. Baby Fresh
24. Phyno
25. Selebobo
26. Tekno
27. D’tunes
28. J. Martins
29. Samklef
30. Leriq
31. Legendary beatz
32. Paul okoye
33. Ikon
34. Ty mix
35. Josh beatz
36. Beats by jay
37. Microwox
38. Xblaze
39. XYZ
40. Wizboyy
41. Dekumzy (bracket- yori yori)
42. J fem production
43. Tspice
44. Xela
45. Puffy t
46. Dj zeez
47. Eldee
48. Kraft but now know as MASTER KRAFT
49. E kelly
50. Dj klem
Etc[/quote]
Re: Who Deserves Credit For A Hit Song, The Music Producer Or The Artiste? by Yusfaithib(m): 1:17am On Feb 01, 2021
Madlib Hang Out (Phone Off) MP3 DOWNLOAD
Madlib comes through with yet another new song titled “Hang Out (Phone Off)” and is right here for your fast download

https://yusmid.com/music/mp3-madlib-hang-out-phone-off/

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

DOWNLOAD : Oritse Femi – Tomorrow Ft Reminisce / Official Video: Davido Ft. Olamide – The Money / Wizkid Ft Ceeza Milli, Spotless & Terry – "Soco" (audio)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.