Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,146 members, 7,818,441 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:56 PM

How To Make Your Baby Girl Dresses Yourself! - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / How To Make Your Baby Girl Dresses Yourself! (6938 Views)

children fashion, baby dress, baby shoes, baby girl dresses, children clothes / 30+ Hairstyles To Make Your Baby Girl Beautifully Cute. Who's the cutest?? / Lovely Girl Dresses (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Make Your Baby Girl Dresses Yourself! by AmenJoan(f): 11:09am On Oct 07, 2015
So I just had a baby girl 3 months ago. Yay! Before then I did some beginner sewing for myself. Now it's all about her! So if you know how to use your sewing machine and do some basic sewing, this thread is for you.

I usually make use of leftover fabric from what I use I making my clothes at the tailor's. Cos all you need is a little fabric.

Below is my cute sewing machine and the dress I made last.

For the diaper cover, I got the pattern online with some personal tweaking. Just google (perfect diaper cover) print, cut and you're good. You can use it for several diaper covers.

In subsequent posts we'll go step by step. Feel free to ask questions but be patient with me cos am really busy with a baby and work.

Hope you enjoy the thread!

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: How To Make Your Baby Girl Dresses Yourself! by AmenJoan(f): 12:23pm On Oct 07, 2015
smiley

Re: How To Make Your Baby Girl Dresses Yourself! by AmenJoan(f): 12:26pm On Oct 07, 2015
Sorry pic is upside down

2 Likes

Re: How To Make Your Baby Girl Dresses Yourself! by AmenJoan(f): 12:45pm On Oct 07, 2015
So we begin...
Step one. Choose your fabric or combination of fabrics.
For this project I decided to use some left over chord lace and plain pink cotton fabric

2 Likes

Re: How To Make Your Baby Girl Dresses Yourself! by AmenJoan(f): 12:46pm On Oct 07, 2015
Step 2.
Get a dress that fits your baby girl well now

1 Like

Re: How To Make Your Baby Girl Dresses Yourself! by AmenJoan(f): 1:06pm On Oct 07, 2015
Trace it on a piece of paper like so. Front first (pic 1) then back (pic2) stop at where the skirt gathers begin. Just mark and draw a straight line to connect.

Nb.
You can trace on fabric directly but if you would like to use the pattern over and over again, it's best you do it on paper.

Re: How To Make Your Baby Girl Dresses Yourself! by AmenJoan(f): 1:14pm On Oct 07, 2015
Step3

Trace it on a piece of paper like so. Front first (pic 1) then back (pic2) stop at where the skirt gathers begin. Just mark and draw a straight line to connect.

Nb.
You can trace on fabric directly but if you would like to use the pattern over and over again, it's best you do it on paper.

Re: How To Make Your Baby Girl Dresses Yourself! by AmenJoan(f): 1:16pm On Oct 07, 2015
Before I go on, would like to know who's following. So I know whether or not it's worth the trouble. Thanks

3 Likes

Re: How To Make Your Baby Girl Dresses Yourself! by tejirikennedy: 3:07pm On Oct 07, 2015
Following
Re: How To Make Your Baby Girl Dresses Yourself! by mariam1990(f): 3:45pm On Oct 07, 2015
Following
Re: How To Make Your Baby Girl Dresses Yourself! by anthoniaz(f): 3:58pm On Oct 07, 2015
Following.
My little sunshine is just a week old though smiley
Re: How To Make Your Baby Girl Dresses Yourself! by AmenJoan(f): 12:54am On Oct 08, 2015
Ok great!

After that you should have 2 pieces like shown below. One for front of the dress, the other for the back.

1 Like

Re: How To Make Your Baby Girl Dresses Yourself! by AmenJoan(f): 1:02am On Oct 08, 2015
Next step is to pin this pattern to your fabric. For the front piece, you place the front edge on a fold of fabric. Don't cut the folded edge.
While for the back piece, you equally double the fabric but you can cut around it.
Hope this is understood? If you do a little sewing, it should.

Re: How To Make Your Baby Girl Dresses Yourself! by AmenJoan(f): 1:06am On Oct 08, 2015
So for the front pattern, you cut one on fold of fabric and one on fold of the lining. Am using the chord lace as fabric for the front and the pink piece as lining.

While for the back pattern you cut 2 pieces of fabric and 2 pieces of lining
Re: How To Make Your Baby Girl Dresses Yourself! by Nobody: 1:09am On Oct 08, 2015
I love Baby Girls kiss. Following

1 Like

Re: How To Make Your Baby Girl Dresses Yourself! by AmenJoan(f): 1:11am On Oct 08, 2015
So we've gotten the bodice part.

Next is the skirt of the dress.

There are 2 ways to do this
The first is measure the length and width of the dress that fits your child now. And use this measurement to cut out your fabric.

Measure the front piece separate the the back piece. The back piece is usually joined at the center because of zip and buttons. So if you cut it as a full piece just divide into 2.

Re: How To Make Your Baby Girl Dresses Yourself! by AmenJoan(f): 1:18am On Oct 08, 2015
very important please. If your dress exactly fits your child, it's super important to add sewing allowance either to your pattern or when cutting out your fabric. This is to ensure the outcome is not much smaller than you anticipated

1 Like

Re: How To Make Your Baby Girl Dresses Yourself! by prettytinah: 9:20am On Oct 08, 2015
Nice job u re doing here but i tink dat armhole is too big for a baby.

1 Like

Re: How To Make Your Baby Girl Dresses Yourself! by bextie: 7:49pm On Oct 08, 2015
Nice job, I like your pattern of teaching. Seriously following
Re: How To Make Your Baby Girl Dresses Yourself! by AmenJoan(f): 8:48pm On Oct 08, 2015
prettytinah:
Nice job u re doing here but i tink dat armhole is too big for a baby.
You can reduce yours if you'd like it smaller. This one sits well on my babe. I like her a bit free
Re: How To Make Your Baby Girl Dresses Yourself! by AmenJoan(f): 8:49pm On Oct 08, 2015
bextie:
Nice job, I like your pattern of teaching. Seriously following
Thank you

1 Like

Re: How To Make Your Baby Girl Dresses Yourself! by AmenJoan(f): 8:30am On Oct 09, 2015
The alternate way of getting the skirt of your dress is, measure the bottom half of your bodice, multiply this figure by 2,3 or 4 depending on how full you want the gathers of the dress to be. Then measure your child to determine where you want the length to hit.
Remember to measure from around her waist down and not from shoulder.
For instance since my front piece is 12 inches, I multiplied by 3 to get 36 inches. This would be the width of my block of fabric.

Should I go on? Any questions?

2 Likes

Re: How To Make Your Baby Girl Dresses Yourself! by outstandingjk(f): 7:20am On Oct 10, 2015
anthoniaz:
Following.
My little sunshine is just a week old though smiley

Congrats and kisses to your sunshine

2 Likes

Re: How To Make Your Baby Girl Dresses Yourself! by anthoniaz(f): 1:56pm On Oct 10, 2015
outstandingjk:

Congrats and kisses to your sunshine
Thanks smiley
Re: How To Make Your Baby Girl Dresses Yourself! by africouturemag(m): 2:18pm On Oct 10, 2015
do you have a fashion , beauty | lifestyle articles or even DIY tutorials you want us to publish on our magazine..... add up 08146181442 on whatsapp
Re: How To Make Your Baby Girl Dresses Yourself! by Nobody: 12:35pm On Oct 12, 2015
You are doing a nice job, is your sewing machine electronic, can it work without light? I am thinking of buying one and I really like yours.
Re: How To Make Your Baby Girl Dresses Yourself! by AmenJoan(f): 8:31pm On Oct 12, 2015
michymeg:
You are doing a nice job, is your sewing machine electronic, can it work without light? I am thinking of buying one and I really like yours.

Thanks dear. No it can't work without light. It's solely electric.

1 Like

Re: How To Make Your Baby Girl Dresses Yourself! by FabioPeter: 7:17pm On Dec 16, 2015
Good job. Update please.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

School uniforms and shirt Monogramming In Lagos / / Leather Craft Work For Beginners

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.