Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,721 members, 7,816,969 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:34 PM

Sex Education in the Family. - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Sex Education in the Family. (3142 Views)

Why Male Education Is Better Than Female Education In The Family? / Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? / Did Your Parent Teach Sex Education (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sex Education in the Family. by kazey(m): 8:29am On Jun 05, 2005
Seun !! Trust me its not the education from home that really brings about the difference. Look at the manners and respect we are all taught at home, and the way we uphold them. Lets be real here. its just what we hear all this Health related NGOs talk always on, educate your child !! they always emphasis. But really i have not seen a tangible effective reason !!. Culture is still a big obstacle to the issue in question besided even going ahead to tackle the effects of such education.

We Africans have limit in what we discuss with our parents, and honestly if we look arround us, the average African child does not have problem in that relation compare to the Average American or British child. They are having sex at the age of 10 for Christ sake!! and what happen to the early education? For sure thats not effective.
Re: Sex Education in the Family. by Eresi(f): 10:40am On Jun 15, 2005
Sex education is an art of teaching children from age ten the developments that take place in human body, what they signify and how they are to be handled to avoid mistakes. Sex education in the family is very important to make sure children don't go astray, so that it is the responsibility of parents first to impart the knowledge to their children before they would begin to learn from anyother means.

Some parents feel shy discussing sexual matters with their children and it is not supposed to be so. The fact there is that if you fail to let them know about it and how to avoid certain mistakes, they will learn it the wrong way outside.

So I have to say it is not a sin discussing sex in the family. Once a child, male or female is 10, he should be made to know of the changes about taking place in his/her body and how to guard against those changes b/4 they cause problems to him/her. I guess I don't have to discuss it indetail. Anybody that has passed the stage should be able to tell better.
Re: Sex Education in the Family. by sage(m): 9:16pm On Jun 30, 2005
Kazey pls how r our kids better? The level of sexual activity is about the same in very young adults
Re: Sex Education in the Family. by goldenoc(f): 6:59pm On Sep 15, 2005
Every body is now telling parents what to do. One day u become a father or mother u no go teach your children this things wey una dey habu now. embarassed
Re: Sex Education in the Family. by Motee(f): 4:18pm On Oct 07, 2005
yes o.
Re: Sex Education in the Family. by love3: 5:20pm On Oct 07, 2005
I THINK IT'S GOOD TO DISCUSS SEX WITH YOUR CHILDREN ESP THE GIRLS.THEY SHOW EVERYTHING ON TELEVISION,BOTH FILMS AND CARTOON.WHY CAN'T PARENTS DISCUSS IT WITH THIER CHILDREN.I THINK IT'S BETTER THEY LEARN ABOUT IT FROM HOME THAN OUTSIDE.
Re: Sex Education in the Family. by Owen(m): 6:22pm On Oct 07, 2005
I think parents should sit thier kids down and talk to them on sex education as soon as they 13...
Re: Sex Education in the Family. by UsherGurl(f): 11:15pm On Feb 09, 2006
But African traditions familes are such that you cannot even talk about sexuality with your child or your children undecided
Re: Sex Education in the Family. by eveseh(f): 3:40pm On Apr 28, 2006
my mom always feel shy to talk about sex to me
Re: Sex Education in the Family. by Memunah(f): 9:56pm On Oct 10, 2006
yeah i really find it odd when i hear that some parents don't discuss sex with their wards.because my mum really enlightened me on sex matters and its really helped a lot so its good to teach your wards on sex to avert any mistakes by them.though it might be embarrasing to educate ur wards on sex matters but its good to educate even early to enlighten them more on sex
Re: Sex Education in the Family. by Wumine(f): 5:33pm On Oct 21, 2006
Never had the honour of enjoying this while growing. Sex education should start when the child starts getting conscious of his/her body and that should be around age 8-12(beginning).
Re: Sex Education in the Family. by ThoniaSlim(f): 11:39pm On Jan 03, 2007
very neccessary,to teach your kids sex education,no need trying to hide anything.give them all the details so they know the dangers involved in experimenting with sex at an early age.
Re: Sex Education in the Family. by diyobdw(f): 11:58am On Jan 04, 2007
if parent dont lie or hide sex from their kids they only risk early sex.
But they can be sure even when that happen the child has full knowledge of what they are up to.

We learn the wrong things from peers, media or society who give, have or care about the fact. Yawa go gas!
" i remember being told that sex reduces PM" undecided
it took God's grace not to give it a try, cos i was sold on it

all i could think was anything to give away the pain,
Re: Sex Education in the Family. by Reverend(m): 12:05pm On Jan 04, 2007
@Diyobdw

Sex is known to reduce the painful cramps associated with menstruation.

That is a fact! It was not meant to be used a reason why your kids should have sex!

The key is to keep religion and sex well apart. Religion has no place in sex education. It is important to make your children understand their sexuality and not confuse them by introducing supernatural elements.

Nigeria has a huge problem due to the lack of good, solid sex education in schools for Children. It is a real minefield and misinformation is widespread,

I am sure there are allot of parents out there that should read up on the facts before giving advice to their kids wink
Re: Sex Education in the Family. by Kinkinatus(m): 2:24pm On Aug 07, 2009
I think the minute kids begin to notice the differences between themselves and the opposite sex. It all depends on how old they are. For me that started with my kids around age 6. I got two boys and I remembered how it started with a very innocent question, like why does mom sit down on the loo to wee. There and then, I gave a very simple and matter of fact explanation. Girls have their bits on the inside that is why girls sit down to wee and boys have theirs on the outside. I did not over react, start a huge drama, threaten them with the fear of senseless thrashings. I have had various questions since then and tried to explain those awkward questions factually and to the best of my ability, without the threat of beatings our parents (bless them) used to treat these topics.
Re: Sex Education in the Family. by DaBogu: 8:24pm On Apr 28, 2021
Seun:
Am I the only one who doesn't think Ka's answer above is not much of an answer? I mean, essentially all Ka is saying is "I don't want to talk about it because you don't have a beard". Surely an intelligent kid would not be satisfied with that.

An intelligent kid will reason, "ok, if daddy doesn't want to tell me where to get the seed I will ask my friends in school ..." and the entire purpose of the exercise is defeated.
True
Re: Sex Education in the Family. by DaBogu: 8:25pm On Apr 28, 2021
Seun:

I do not agree with this statement. Yes, kids are smart. You see, kids have always been smart!

The problem is that as we 'mature' we forget what it was like to be kids. Kids, really, are not that different from us - they are not brain-damaged, they are just a little bit inexperienced. I respect kids more than most yoruba men tongue.

I have been telling friends that by the time my kids are 18 they will be capable of surviving and thriving without my assistance. (I'm about 23 and I am still learning to be successful on my own, but there is nothing in my brain now that was not there 5 years ago ...)
Impressive

(1) (2) (Reply)

(see Pictures) Meet 2 Married Transgenders Nick And Bianca And Their 2sons / Things Pregnant Women Should Know / So closed **

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.