Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,552 members, 7,816,339 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:48 AM

Can One Have A Small Wedding In Nigeria? - Events (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Events / Can One Have A Small Wedding In Nigeria? (15713 Views)

Couple Use Power-Bike For Church Wedding In Enugu(pictured) / Bisoye Obasanjo's Traditional Wedding In Ebonyi State / Who Is Ayiri Emami - The Man Who Had The Most Expensive Wedding In History (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can One Have A Small Wedding In Nigeria? by Sissy3(f): 6:23am On May 02, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

Why are you people scared of making extra akpu na rice for wedding crashers?. I don't think it's the food that makes a wedding expensive rather it's the costumes, hotel and other trivial things the bride   wink wink add to jack up the budget.

@OP, yes you can have a private small wedding in Naija. In igboland, it's called 'morning mass wedding' or 'father, abeg doam quick quick'. grin grin

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Can One Have A Small Wedding In Nigeria? by kobomoje(m): 9:13am On May 02, 2009
My wedding is coming up in a couple of months and my plan all along was to do it in a small way (personally i dnt lik elaborate things), so i planned to go to the registry here in the uk and just gather some friends after that for some chops.

My in-laws all of a sudden said No, that i have to come down to Nigeria to do it, and now its been blown outta proportion. angry

Now im really scared cos the bills my wife-to-be has been sending to me on things we need to do is too high for me
and i still have a lot to spend on after the wedding sad
Re: Can One Have A Small Wedding In Nigeria? by argent(f): 9:24am On May 02, 2009
It is very possible to have a small wedding in naija.

No publicity, tell only the people you want to invite and tell them that you intend to make it a low key (so they wont start broadcasting on your behalf), change your location(e.g if you are based in lagos you can choose to do it in abeokuta, I actually know a couple that did that and it worked for them).
Re: Can One Have A Small Wedding In Nigeria? by touchmeder: 9:32am On May 02, 2009
kobomoje:

My wedding is coming up in a couple of months and my plan all along was to do it in a small way (personally i dnt lik elaborate things), so i planned to go to the registry here in the uk and just gather some friends after that for some chops.

My in-laws all of a sudden said No, that i have to come down to Nigeria to do it, and now its been blown outta proportion. angry

Now im really scared cos the bills my wife-to-be has been sending to me on things we need to do is too high for me
and i still have a lot to spend on after the wedding sad

na so the idea is that person when dey abroad get plenty money (this was the same position with my sister in the uk) plus its their time to shine for their daughter esp if she is the first girl or first to get married. you can try to convince them to allow only the traditional while you do the registry in the uk as planned. All the best
Re: Can One Have A Small Wedding In Nigeria? by tombola: 9:34am On May 02, 2009
small is relative - what is small to you, may be big to someone else and what is big to you may be small to someone else. Just do your thing as much as you wont go borrowing.
Re: Can One Have A Small Wedding In Nigeria? by EasyT: 9:41am On May 02, 2009
yeah,its very possible to have a small wedding in Naija.Depends on the couples involved.
And I think the whole large wedding concept aside being influenced by our extended family culture in africa is also influenced by a lot of persons wanting to meet up to societal 'standards' .
Re: Can One Have A Small Wedding In Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:47am On May 02, 2009
More divorce are brewing. Wedding was hot, marriage is cold. No money after!I don't know the soultion but I know the problem is trying to please everyone, mainly the bride's people and the bride stuff. What invited guests will consume is not the cause of high cost. It is about thing the bride family started pitching in, put ur money where ur mouth is. Let's try the Indian way!
Re: Can One Have A Small Wedding In Nigeria? by Pittbaby(f): 11:55am On May 02, 2009
only possible if all parties are on board with keeping it hush hush , if not all I will say is pick your battles not worth having a throw down fight with you inlaws over how many uncle labajas can attend your wedding, when at the end of the day even the people you invite will bring their friends sister's cousin and all her 15 kids, grin
Re: Can One Have A Small Wedding In Nigeria? by JJYOU: 4:04pm On May 02, 2009
$osisi:

my brother long time

how about the people tripping over themselves and about to "assasinate" those sharing out the free umbrellas and clocks.
It's a miracle I didn't die in my hometown last December grin
thank God for small mercies. i have been around. how you dey? how is my bros and the clan?
how about the people tripping over themselves and about to "assasinate" those sharing out the free umbrellas and clocks.
that is the part i dont like. the amount of unused or shall we say will never be used my mum/dad has is unbelievable.
even though i specifically instructed no one to do any for us trust my people we were on all unamables. calendars, notebook and jotters. money my dad would have easily used to give me another wife. that was without my dear mum being around. i always imagined what she would have done.

my brother was a guest in his own. it was like my mums wedding which i think most of these things really are. i enjoyed it though apart from the unnecesary photographers and video people. the church choir was really good.

i am out next week so keep us in your prayers. have a greak weekend and keep being good at what you do best.

Pittbaby:

only possible if all parties are on board with keeping it hush hush , if not all I will say is pick your battles not worth having a throw down fight with you inlaws over how many uncle labajas can attend your wedding, when at the end of the day even the people you invite will bring their friends sister's cousin and all her 15 kids, grin
trust our people
Re: Can One Have A Small Wedding In Nigeria? by SUKKIE(m): 4:23pm On May 02, 2009
I think in-laws play a huge role in this;the couple might prefer a quiet wedding which I certainly do.However,more often than not in-laws literally take over the wedding plan, tellling u " nevermind wedding is just a once in a life time event so let's invite all and sundry." Then comes aso- ebi committee that signals the complete take-over,u are in for it mate.
Re: Can One Have A Small Wedding In Nigeria? by Pittbaby(f): 4:26pm On May 02, 2009
LOL , @aso ebi committee , what exactly is it with men and hating Aso ebi,
Re: Can One Have A Small Wedding In Nigeria? by royalicon(m): 5:55pm On May 02, 2009
I support small wedding.

Dont use money to feed ur family to feed crowd, all in the name of weddding party.
Re: Can One Have A Small Wedding In Nigeria? by smurf1(f): 5:57pm On May 02, 2009
TOYOSI20:

Absolutely . . . for whatever reason, whether it be cos of a limited budget. . . .Or privacy or what have u,

plan well, invites strictly by invitation and most importantly a small setting would greatly help, . . . . wink

Cos u wouldn’t rent a huge hall and expect folks not to turn out lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed. . . .It’s all about planning ahead and being savvy!!

I agree, wink
Re: Can One Have A Small Wedding In Nigeria? by JJYOU: 10:08pm On May 02, 2009
SUKKIE:

I think in-laws play a huge role in this;the couple might prefer a quiet wedding which I certainly do.However,more often than not in-laws literally take over the wedding plan, tellling u " nevermind wedding is just a once in a life time event so let's invite all and sundry." Then comes aso- ebi committee that signals the complete take-over,u are in for it mate.
you are right. i banned that completely cos we only went for thanksgiving in my dad's church. that didnt stop some few of them (mostly women) wearing it. i just refused to ytake pics with them because it was so annoying they did everything i asked not to be done.
Pittbaby:

LOL , @aso ebi committee , what exactly is it with men and hating Aso ebi,
why buy what you can only wear for a day? my mum had boxes of asoebis tailors didnt even see yet she paid for them. that is wastage.
Re: Can One Have A Small Wedding In Nigeria? by tayoast(m): 11:00pm On May 02, 2009
tombola:

Just do your thing as much as you wont go borrowing.

The only way to have a "small" wedding, arrange everything secretly and inform those u really want there in less than a week.

Invite the clergies to conduct the ceremonies as early as 7.00am and by noon, u'd sit back and enjoy good games on TV- which is rare on wedding days!
Re: Can One Have A Small Wedding In Nigeria? by samparian(m): 2:42am On May 03, 2009
small weddings are very possible.
Please, cut your coat according to available Material grin

i know many guys who spent a lot on weddings and later had financial troubles. Your in laws wont come to your rescue o. Dont listen to them, or your new wife who thinks you have a share in Abacha's stolen loot.
I cancelled my planned marriage last year because of stuff like this.
I told the lady that my people will come and pay the bride price and start planning the traditional marriage and wedding which i intend to have on the same day.
My plan is to wed in the village in the morning and use my traditional marriage as reception and do everything at once. save myself some stress and money.

the lady refused. she insisted that it had to be a big society wedding and not in the village. she listed many things she wanted concerning the bridal stuff and then i asked her HOW MUCH SHE WAS CONTIBUTING TO THE EXPENDITURE.

guess what?
she said i'm the man. that i have to foot the bills. afterall, i live abroad and have the cash.
i tried to make her see reason, but she was adamant. i quickly called everything off. most people think guys abroad pick money on the streets.
that one na thief

i still intend to do it my way. wed in the morning and have the traditional marriage in the afternoon. saves money. big time

1 Like

Re: Can One Have A Small Wedding In Nigeria? by suprted(m): 8:03am On May 03, 2009
I'm having a small wedding. In fact, if I can get married in jeans, it's happening.

Ok, maybe not, but definately a small wedding. Some people just want the wedding not the marriage.

To be honest, if my significant other doesn't want a small wedding, we probably aren't going to agree on a lot.
Re: Can One Have A Small Wedding In Nigeria? by romeo(m): 11:17am On May 03, 2009
Best way is to shift venue to a different city and avoid attending other people's wedding unless you want them to be in your own wedding.

I am not a fan of weddings, infact i don't attend. But i know close to a thousand will be at my wedding if i celebrate mine at Enugu. Some will come to count the number of wine bottles on the tables, some the kind of shoe, some the wedding gown, and some if the food was enough with enough enough meat.

But they are in for a big disappointement. i am celebrating it in Conakry, My Fiance is from there and their wedding needs no fanfare or too much money and crowd. I will just go there with about 5 members of my family and i am married. cheesy cheesy
Re: Can One Have A Small Wedding In Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:04pm On May 03, 2009
romeo:

Best way is to shift venue to a different city and avoid attending other people's wedding unless you want them to be in your own wedding.

I am not a fan of weddings, infact i don't attend. But i know close to a thousand will be at my wedding if i celebrate mine at Enugu. Some will come to count the number of wine bottles on the tables, some the kind of shoe, some the wedding gown, and some if the food was enough with enough enough meat.

But they are in for a big disappointement. i am celebrating it in Conakry, My Fiance is from there and their wedding needs no fanfare or too much money and crowd. I will just go there with about 5 members of my family and i am married. cheesy cheesy

Yeah, good one and prepare yourself for rebuke. Always tell your mates/pals your views about marriages and weddings. They in turn will respect ur plans and ideas when the time comes. I will never have a problem with anyone on that. I appreciate good union not its ceremony.

Re: Can One Have A Small Wedding In Nigeria? by hackney(m): 7:56pm On May 03, 2009
Nice one romeo! , way to go.
Just moving the wedding to a different city tends to cut out the crap (i find).
And its true that people come to judge (even in burials;better believe that sad

So yes; a small wedding is possible if ur witty cool cool cool wink
Re: Can One Have A Small Wedding In Nigeria? by tai2(m): 1:05am On May 04, 2009
Lol, small wedding in Nigeria, with these greedy young women constantly influenced by Citi People and Ovation, why una dey deceive una selves/
Re: Can One Have A Small Wedding In Nigeria? by FLGators1: 1:34am On May 04, 2009
Lol, small wedding in Nigeria, with these greedy young women constantly influenced by Citi People and Ovation, why una dey deceive una selves
Only women? grin grin
May your wedding be a big one grin

@post
rotfl. . . .if you don't tell anyone or let anyone outside of the immediate family know, then you got yourself a small wedding.

Cuz your friends will tell their friends and families,a nd they'll tell their friends and so on. undecided
Re: Can One Have A Small Wedding In Nigeria? by rooshie(f): 9:32am On May 04, 2009
thanx to everyone for your opinions. Its good to know that I'm not the only one to have these feelings, and when my time comes, I'll be able to do it my (or our,lol) way cuz its my (our) day!!!! God bless
Re: Can One Have A Small Wedding In Nigeria? by Winnergal(f): 12:27am On May 05, 2009
A friend of mine did hers this way:

She only sent a personal iv to her family and very close friends. She however sent an all round email to everybody she knows the evening before the wedding . . . Clever . . huh . . .? . . . cheesy
Re: Can One Have A Small Wedding In Nigeria? by aduje(m): 11:18am On May 05, 2009
@Poster;
These are some of the secrets of having a small crowd wedding in Nigeria.

- Agree with your spouse
-Tell your family members and inlaws what exactly you want
-Give short notice-
-Print little quantity of IV cards
-Do not use SMS to invite people
-Do not use uniform (i.e. Aso Ebi)
-Do not have the wedding in celebrity cities like Lagos, Ijebu, Ibadan.
Boy, I had it rough during my wedding. I am from delta state while my wife is from Ogun but resides in Lagos. Before we came into country for the wedding our parents have invited various groups of people; families, club members, associations etc and everything went beyond our budget. You can imagine,
Re: Can One Have A Small Wedding In Nigeria? by waterworks(f): 1:30pm On May 05, 2009
yes it is. the thing is invite allllllll the people you want the for traditional let it be big plenty rice and all let the inlws bring who they want. then for your white wedding you can do it in a hall and give invitation to all your close family and friends. that way evrybody is happy.
Re: Can One Have A Small Wedding In Nigeria? by hoeyeadoe: 9:16pm On May 05, 2009
it is possible. As a matter of fact, i'm having that kinda wedding. Just the nuclear families and our very close well wishers.
Re: Can One Have A Small Wedding In Nigeria? by rooshie(f): 3:01pm On May 06, 2009
@waterworks, what an excellent idea, the only thing is that I don't know if I'll have a trad. wedding, I don't know how his family would want it done, but thanx, you've given me ideas for my time,
Re: Can One Have A Small Wedding In Nigeria? by Dfirstlady(f): 11:21am On May 07, 2009
It kinda depends on wat you mean by small wedding, 50-70 is a small weddindg and trust me, in 9ja it is possible.
Hav a colour code
Get BOUNCERS.
aN grin smiley
aND REMEMBER TO PLAN FOR ABOUT 20-30 MORE GUESTS, (M0O GBO MO YA) smiley wink
Re: Can One Have A Small Wedding In Nigeria? by boladonas(m): 5:38pm On May 07, 2009
Small Wedding for Naija? Except your parents and family members no dey chop other peoples wedding rice.
It is worse if they are from Ijebu like me!!!
Wedding na occassion for free chops and "eru" - load carriage in naija plus show offs!!!
Inspite of all my protest and having done my wedding secretly in a registry
my father still declared 7 days feast in my absence
Day 1: For hosting my wife's family from Benin (they re free to witness all d 7 day events)
Day 2: For hosting all my fathers family home and abroad
Day 3: All Business Associates - home and abroad. This include business partners etc
Day 4: My Mother's Societies - Church and Social, Lagos and Ijebu-Ode
Day 5: The Extended Family
Day 6: Traditional Chiefs, Traditional Societies
Day 7: Church Associations, Societies, Pastors, lay readers, Deacons, Choral Groups
Re: Can One Have A Small Wedding In Nigeria? by MrCrackles(m): 9:42am On May 09, 2009
Topic

Mo gbo mo branch no go gree! grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Pictures As Wizkid (Big Wiz) Performs At Flytime Music Festivals / Girls Go Wild And Allow Guys Touch Their Boobs At A Festival In Spain18+ / Oluwaseun Emmanuel Ologun Weds Zainab Sadiq (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.