Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,813 members, 7,820,876 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:06 AM

See How Much It Cost To Travel From Lagos To New York In The Good Old Days(pic) - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / See How Much It Cost To Travel From Lagos To New York In The Good Old Days(pic) (40577 Views)

See How Much It Cost To Commute Around Lagos Using Ferries / Plane That Will Travel London To New York In 2 Hours, Unveiled {photos} / Dino Melaye Shares Cost Of Flying From Nigeria To New York Back In The Days (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: See How Much It Cost To Travel From Lagos To New York In The Good Old Days(pic) by DedeNkem: 10:09am On Oct 08, 2015
You forgot to mention that 17k wasn't small cash then too, not every could afford it then.

New Peugeot 504 car cost less than 10k that time. Economy was good and many Nigerian civil servants were able to afford new cars not second ones.There was no tokumbo at that time.

A good meal in a good restuarant cost around 2 naira. From the East to Lagos was around 7 naira. One dollar was around 3 naira then.

Nigeria was destroyed by inconpetent, corrupt and greedy northerners and their yoruba puppets!
Re: See How Much It Cost To Travel From Lagos To New York In The Good Old Days(pic) by ogbong: 10:33am On Oct 08, 2015
With that amount so many could still not travel out of the country just as it is still difficult today. No matter how cheap a commodity or service is, only thosa who could afford will have it. No wonder my late grandpa couldn't buy a volkswagen car in his time
Re: See How Much It Cost To Travel From Lagos To New York In The Good Old Days(pic) by kevoh(m): 10:38am On Oct 08, 2015
Lagos New York Lagos! Looks like a round trip to me, a one-way ticket should be about 9000naira.The time frame also falls within early Nineties.

17k is still not easy to get, people still find it difficult to fly Abuja to Lagos even at early booked price of 10k.
Re: See How Much It Cost To Travel From Lagos To New York In The Good Old Days(pic) by sangga(m): 10:42am On Oct 08, 2015
Republlican:
Corrupt leaders has ruined us
women too are koropting men.
Re: See How Much It Cost To Travel From Lagos To New York In The Good Old Days(pic) by pat077: 11:22am On Oct 08, 2015
Stelvin101:

E easy to get the money now? cheesy
u mean u cant get 17,500 now if that is what u need to travel to newyork?
Re: See How Much It Cost To Travel From Lagos To New York In The Good Old Days(pic) by luvlyoracle(m): 11:26am On Oct 08, 2015
sandrajazmin:
Is it jst me, or are dere ppl who read coments on jst 1st page and ignore d rest?
Jst askn sha
esutite
Re: See How Much It Cost To Travel From Lagos To New York In The Good Old Days(pic) by infgost234(m): 1:03pm On Oct 08, 2015
sandrajazmin:
Is it jst me, or are dere ppl who read coments on jst 1st page and ignore d rest?
Jst askn sha
Same with me too...
Is it just my thinking? Or u are actually a zikite? (From the background of ur dp)
Re: See How Much It Cost To Travel From Lagos To New York In The Good Old Days(pic) by UnimkeAk(m): 1:05pm On Oct 08, 2015
stephenduru:
I can't believe this.Travelling from Lagos to New York once cost 17k.This was back in the days when things were still good in Nigeria and our leaders were a little bit less or not corrupt.Compare it with the amount you have to pay now if you want to travel from Lagos to New York.

Source: http://trezzy2..com/2015/10/see-how-much-it-cost-to-travel-from.html

When I see post like this I get angry.

Was 17k small money back then??

when workers where paid in hundreds

how many persons could afford 1k back then.

what was the minimum wage.
Re: See How Much It Cost To Travel From Lagos To New York In The Good Old Days(pic) by charlsecy(m): 1:12pm On Oct 08, 2015
stephenduru:
I can't believe this.Travelling from Lagos to New York once cost 17k..
I heard N60,000 could finish a 3-storey building in the 1970's.
Re: See How Much It Cost To Travel From Lagos To New York In The Good Old Days(pic) by lebete3000: 4:02pm On Oct 08, 2015
California30:
It wasn't cheap in the 60's.
The N17 will get you a brand new car.

It's relatively cheap now.
I flew from Lagos to New York last month at 100 thousand naira but na world tour i go (5 hour stop in Qatar, 4 hour stop in Holland, 9 hour stop in Germany)

which airways be that one?
Re: See How Much It Cost To Travel From Lagos To New York In The Good Old Days(pic) by Adeyeancah(m): 4:30pm On Oct 08, 2015
stephenduru:
I can't believe this.Travelling from Lagos to New York once cost 17k.This was back in the days when things were still good in Nigeria and our leaders were a little bit less or not corrupt.Compare it with the amount you have to pay now if you want to travel from Lagos to New York.

Source: http://trezzy2..com/2015/10/see-how-much-it-cost-to-travel-from.html
HMMMM, SALARY MINIMUM WAGE TODAY
Re: See How Much It Cost To Travel From Lagos To New York In The Good Old Days(pic) by International77: 5:50pm On Oct 08, 2015
Jsut because it was 17k, does not mean it was cheap back then. But, it is nice to know.

OP, the pic below is not actually the plane used back then. Those planes could not fly cross Atlantic back then.
The sign board also clearly states "Nigerian Airways to Kaduna".
Re: See How Much It Cost To Travel From Lagos To New York In The Good Old Days(pic) by Phoenix001(m): 8:10pm On Oct 08, 2015
alegbeleye:
Let the past be. Why didn't you come then nd enjoy or you thinks its that easy to get 17K then. *Next Jare* oniranu; lowa ise shey.

That was harsh!
Re: See How Much It Cost To Travel From Lagos To New York In The Good Old Days(pic) by montezz(f): 10:04pm On Oct 08, 2015
my grandma jux told me her salary dat time was #4:25k. #17k is a whole lot of money den. nothing has really changed.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Man Attempting To Cross Into Italy By Sea From Libya Changes His Mind (Video) / Nigerian Man And Pregnant Wife Die In Ghastly Motor Accident, Son Survives / ABC Transport - Passengers Beware!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.