Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,077 members, 7,957,015 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 04:11 AM

Going Green With Chicken Feathers: Recycling - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Going Green With Chicken Feathers: Recycling (2129 Views)

Chicken Feet With Nail-polish & A Ring / Black Spots Caused By Chicken Pox. / How Do You Get Rid Of Chicken Pox Scars (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Going Green With Chicken Feathers: Recycling by amebo22: 4:50pm On Apr 23, 2009
Green" fabric from chicken feathers
(00:56) Rough Cut
Apr. 22 - Australian scientists are trying to change the face of fashion by turning animal waste into wearable fabric.

They believe that chicken feathers can be turned into a biodegradable fiber from which new fabrics could be developed.

The sustainable fiber would not compete with natural fibers like wool, but rather replace synthetic fibers such as nylon.

Soundbite:

DR ANDREW POOLE FROM MATERIALS SCIENCE ENGINEERING AT THE CSIRO
http://www.reuters.com/news/video?videoId=102382&videoChannel=74

click on the above link to watch, [color=#006600][/color]
Re: Going Green With Chicken Feathers: Recycling by Sissy3(f): 9:28pm On Apr 24, 2009
amebo22:

Apr. 22 - Australian scientists are trying to change the face of fashion by turning animal waste into wearable fabric.

ewwww shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked gross embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Going Green With Chicken Feathers: Recycling by amebo22: 1:09am On Apr 25, 2009
hi Sisi,
its not just about changing fashion its about using recycling and making use of the waste that could ve polluted our waters and environment. more use of chicken feathers ave been seen in the manufacture of circuit boards,boats, paper and even plasticsMore of things like this would serve to maintain our environment. chicken waste has been know to cause a hugh amout of pollution. people usually dont ask about what happens to chicken feathers after we get our source of meat. the link below would might help.

Thank you for stopping by and airing your comment.

http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/kids/animals/story1/story1.htm
http://thechickenfeathers.com/
http://revver.com/video/934942/sundance-channel-the-green-chicken-feathers/
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/01/090112094607.htm
Re: Going Green With Chicken Feathers: Recycling by Sissy3(f): 1:17am On Apr 25, 2009
haba but still using some animal waste for cloths undecided undecided lawd i pray n hope i never get to wear those cloths oo embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Going Green With Chicken Feathers: Recycling by amebo22: 4:43am On Apr 25, 2009
i share your sentiments as well but know the thing with fashion is that once a celeb wears it, it becomes the in thing and everyone wants to get it, Right now am working/studying on how to use human waste and convert to something useful for the society, its a lot of work becos you really have to back it up, but neva say neva as we already exhausting our natural resources and we need alternatives.
i appreciate you time and thots , thanks Sissy
Re: Going Green With Chicken Feathers: Recycling by NaJaHaJe(f): 6:00am On Apr 25, 2009
the thought of wearing recycled birdies brings me dangerously close to bird and flu disease and salmonella . . . . . . yuck!!!! i don't care how much refinery has gone into the reproduction . . . . its just YUCK!!!!!!!
Re: Going Green With Chicken Feathers: Recycling by amebo22: 6:01am On Apr 25, 2009
http://www.newsdaily.com/stories/tre53m5og-us-spider-silk/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LONDON, Apr. 23, 2009 (Reuters) — Spider silk is already tougher and lighter than steel, and now scientists have made it three times stronger by adding small amounts of metal

"It could make very strong thread for surgical operations," researcher Seung-Mo Lee of the Max Planck Institute of Microstructure Physics in Halle, Germany, said in a telephone interview.

Lee and colleagues, who published their findings in the journal Science, found that adding zinc, titanium or aluminum to a length of spider silk made it more resistant to breaking or deforming.

They used a process called atomic layer deposition, which not only coated spider dragline silks with metal but also caused some metal ions to penetrate the fibers and react with their protein structure.

Lee said he next wanted to try adding other materials, including artificial polymers like Teflon.

The idea was inspired by studies showing traces of metals in the toughest parts of some insect body parts. The jaws of leaf-cutter ants and locusts, for example, both contain high levels of zinc, making them particularly stiff and hard.

Spider silk has long fascinated scientists but producing it in commercial quantities is difficult because spiders kept in captivity tend to eat each other.

As a result, researchers have looked at alternative ways of producing silk without spiders, by duplicating their spinning technique.

Approaches being tried include deriving fiber from the milk of transgenic goats with an extra spider-silk gene and adapting silk produced by other insects, such as silkworms.
Re: Going Green With Chicken Feathers: Recycling by amebo22: 6:04am On Apr 25, 2009
NaJa HaJe:

the thought of wearing recycled birdies brings me dangerously close to bird and flu disease and salmonella . . . . . . yuck!!!! i don't care how much refinery has gone into the reproduction . . . . its just YUCK!!!!!!!
, As of now are you not wearing some clothes made from animals eg the fur clothes. this experiment is still at the early stages and before you realize you would not even know its what you are wearing. How many clothes from you wardrope can you honestly tell the source from?

thnks for stopping by i appreciate you comment
Re: Going Green With Chicken Feathers: Recycling by NaJaHaJe(f): 6:09am On Apr 25, 2009
amebo22:

thnks for stopping by i appreciate you comment

Thread woman . . . . be nicer to your contributors . . . .its not an argument but rather a forum to discuss. We are allowed to express ourselves aint we?

You are coming off too harsh and brisk with your comebacks. undecided
Re: Going Green With Chicken Feathers: Recycling by Sissy3(f): 6:26am On Apr 25, 2009
amebo22:

i share your sentiments as well but know the thing with fashion is that once a celeb wears it, it becomes the in thing and everyone wants to get it, Right now am working/studying on how to use human waste and convert to something useful for the society, its a lot of work becos you really have to back it up, but neva say neva as we already exhausting our natural resources and we need alternatives.
i appreciate you time and thots , thanks Sissy

oh well i may never know the particular cloth they make with it so who knows it might be on the market in the next decade and pple will buy it without knowing unless they put the description on the label. but come to think of it how is it possible? are they going to grind the waste or what? just curious
Re: Going Green With Chicken Feathers: Recycling by amebo22: 7:05am On Apr 25, 2009
@ Naja i am sorry if i come out harsh i do apologise i was only trying to explain, i guess i really have to sit down think bfore i hit the sent button. I do once again say i am sorry most times i type as if i am having a conversation with the other party. But i will have that in mind.Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

@sissy
Yes u are right bout the labels and stuff but marketers out there are out to make a profit we have to keep that in mind. As of the procedure its still at infancy. Research in science takes alot of years of work. For examples the drugs in the market today are combined works of alot of scientist and money to come up with one drug with will have to pass thru all phase of testing, I hope this helps.
Re: Going Green With Chicken Feathers: Recycling by NaJaHaJe(f): 8:46am On Apr 25, 2009
amebo22:

@ Naja i am sorry if i come out harsh i do apologise i was only trying to explain, i guess i really have to sit down think bfore i hit the sent button. I do once again say i am sorry most times i type as if i am having a conversation with the other party. But i will have that in mind.Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

It's all good babe cheesy

(1) (Reply)

Dry Skin, Help!! / How To Grow Long Hair, Easy And Simple Tips That Works / The Dresses That Stole The Show At Dior.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.