Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,509 members, 7,819,839 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:19 AM

Why Is Following Christ So Difficult? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Is Following Christ So Difficult? (2555 Views)

See Why It Will Be Difficult For Many To Enter Into Heaven, Don't Be Deceived / Why Do People Find It Difficult To Pay TITHES? / Why Is Jesus Christ So Perfect. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is Following Christ So Difficult? by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:02pm On Oct 08, 2015
Why is following Christ so difficult? Why are there so many obstacles to following Christ? Why do we often find following Jesus to be hard? Isn't the Gospel supposed to be simple? undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Is Following Christ So Difficult? by kingralph(m): 7:04pm On Oct 08, 2015
Where is it written that following Christ is simple?
Re: Why Is Following Christ So Difficult? by femzysticks(m): 7:34pm On Oct 08, 2015
Man1: mars is so cool
Man2: how do you mean?
Man1: everything we have on earth is also there but in a better form
Man2: I don't understand
Man1: there we don't have to cook, you just get good and edible vegetables and fruits from the garden and eat, you don't you don't need to trek you just need to imagine the place and you are there, you don't need to...
Man2: that's so impossible
Man1: if you doubt me go to Mars

Following Christ is not difficult,
Though there is pleasure in sin but if you can build a personal relationship with the Holy Spiriy, he can help you overcome and you will live as though the devil doesn't exist.

Opinion: the devil is not responsible for the sins we commit but our flesh is...

Subduing the flash (having total control of your body) and putting God in charge does the magic...

1 Like

Re: Why Is Following Christ So Difficult? by winner01(m): 7:40pm On Oct 08, 2015
There is no easy way to success as far as i know.
Many people are lukeworm christians, many christians havent come to a true realization of God by diligently seeking Him. If you are a stagnant christian who do no not feel the need for a daily bread, spirituality will bore you.
Serving God brings peace, joy and happiness, serving God with sincerity of heart.

Sin seems so easy and enjoyable, but even in the physical realm you pay for it dearly. Alcohol consumption, smoking, womanizing, robbery, cheating etc seems easy, but set your WILLING mind on God and He will help overcome these temptations.

Romans 8:6 For to set the mind on the flesh is death, but to set
the mind on the Spirit is life and peace.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Following Christ So Difficult? by Chizzled06(m): 8:01pm On Oct 08, 2015
Christians spend half their day every Sunday learning about how they're going to hell.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Following Christ So Difficult? by TrajansKong: 8:22pm On Oct 08, 2015
Chizzled06:
Christians spend half their day every Sunday learning about how they're going to hell.
As they should. Surely that is the destination of all but a few! So it has been written. So it shall be done! Rejoice, I say!!

1 Share

Re: Why Is Following Christ So Difficult? by Image123(m): 8:27pm On Oct 08, 2015
@OP
Because we have to live in the Spirit to follow Christ, meanwhile we're usually fleshly.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Following Christ So Difficult? by ladon1: 8:46pm On Oct 08, 2015
OLAADEGBU:
Why is following Christ so difficult? Why are there so many obstacles to following Christ? Why do we often find following Jesus to be hard? Isn't the Gospel supposed to be simple? undecided
The Gospel is never simple brother. Following Christ according to the Gospel requires daily carrying your cross and dying daily to sin.
It requires overcoming self. It takes one to suffer with Christ. It takes working out one's salvation and overcoming temptation everyday.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Following Christ So Difficult? by sugni: 7:19am On Oct 09, 2015
It will be hard because we weren't made to worship that way
Re: Why Is Following Christ So Difficult? by Humblebloke(m): 7:48am On Oct 09, 2015
Give me a reason why people should follow the jewish god...... And i will give you a thousand and one reasons why your saviour is not needed to make our world a better place.....

There are billions of people who do share your beliefs and are living a more purposeful life...... They want the best for humanity..

People who do good for goodness sake......

Not the ones who do good because they have been promised enternal boredom.....

I ask again..... What exactly do we stand to gain by following christ

1 Like

Re: Why Is Following Christ So Difficult? by TrajansKong: 8:34am On Oct 09, 2015
Humblebloke:
What exactly do we stand to gain by following christ
We gain freedom from idle warship.

Re: Why Is Following Christ So Difficult? by Humblebloke(m): 9:52am On Oct 09, 2015
TrajansKong:
undecided
Go. Home mate.... You are drunk!!!

1 Like

Re: Why Is Following Christ So Difficult? by TrajansKong: 12:06pm On Oct 09, 2015
Humblebloke:

undecided

Go. Home mate.... You are drunk!!!
I am home. At home with my Lord. Drunk on Jesus and high on the Holy Spirit!!

Re: Why Is Following Christ So Difficult? by esere826: 1:15pm On Oct 09, 2015
OLAADEGBU:

Following anyone is much easier than leading anyone
Perhaps, folks are actually trying to lead Jesus (while thinking that they are following), hence they find it difficult and encounter obstacles

Jesus says he is the good shepherd
in order words he is meant to do the leading, and clearing of obstacles on our behalf
The psalmist, also uses flowery words to describe how the Lord shepherds his own
and consequently, they do not want, nor fear while even their tables are laid in the midst of voracious enemies

And YES, the good news is 'simple'
that is why it is called good in the first place
what can be easier than continuously hearing delightful things about oneself from the source of all things

1 Like

Re: Why Is Following Christ So Difficult? by Annunaki(m): 1:44pm On Oct 09, 2015
OLAADEGBU:

Because the heart of man is desperately wicked. undecided

1 Like

Re: Why Is Following Christ So Difficult? by Nobody: 2:41pm On Oct 09, 2015
OLAADEGBU:

It's difficult because we were not created to follow Christ.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Is Following Christ So Difficult? by just4now(m): 8:51pm On Oct 09, 2015
OP, l'm pretty sure you're are scripturally savvy l also observed many questions you posted were not really to help you because you already know answers to many of them. lt's good to test in other to know the level of ignorance in present Christians and where someone can help.

Shalom.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Following Christ So Difficult? by tartar9(m): 10:59pm On Oct 09, 2015
because nobody really follows jesus,they only follow what they like to hear
Re: Why Is Following Christ So Difficult? by malvisguy212: 8:49am On Oct 10, 2015
Bible say the flesh is weak but the spirit is strong. following christ mean you will have to do away with your favourite sin, since man has a sinful nature,it will be an uphill task for man to follow christ. Following christ mean you must forsake the world of sin (can it be easy for a drunker to forsake his drunkenness and follow christ ?)

In luke 14 verse 26 to 27 in the new
testament, Jesus said: If anyone comes to me and doesn’t hate his brother mother, father, wife and children and his own life, he cannot be my disciple.

Jesus is teaching about the cost of following Him. The clue is in Luke 14:33 when Jesus says: “In the same way, any of you who does not give up everything he has cannot be my disciple.” It’s about what we must be prepared to do to follow Jesus. It’s about giving up everything, even our very lives for Him.
He doesn’t say, “by doing this you will get into heaven”. Jesus clearly teaches that through faith in Him we have eternal life (John 3:16).

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is Following Christ So Difficult? by mustymatic(m): 8:56am On Oct 10, 2015
OLAADEGBU:
it's difficult even for you oo
Re: Why Is Following Christ So Difficult? by Anas09: 9:25am On Oct 10, 2015
Like Malvis said. Dropping an old nature and picking up a new one is not easy. Especially in the kind of world we r living in today, where the society stifles the efforts of true believers.
Let me give u an example.
Am a believer, I get a contract, the project manager inflates my quotation to make money for himself. Everybody around says, mind ur bizness, these things are done everywhere, even some oga's at the top does it. So I keep quite, but later I tell my pastor abt it, he shouts "compromise" and I had to make it right, I go to the management to report myself, I get fired. My contract terminated.
Do u think another christian by the side will do what I did? But I'll do it again. This time, I'll rather not have that contract than let anyone tamper with it.
To follow christ is to turn away from the society, but u live in the society. SO IT's HARD.
Christ didn't promise a smooth ride, He promised a smooth landing.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Following Christ So Difficult? by Anas09: 9:40am On Oct 10, 2015
As a christian there shd be no lying, whatsoever.
Telling the Truth no matter what can get u killed or make enemies for U. E.g
I was admitted onece. A cousin came to visit, her boyfriend was a medical Doctor living very close to the hospital.
She just left my ward when another of her boy friend came in from Lagos to see her, but didn't know our house's address (no phones then) he heard I was in the hospital and came to see me and get our address, but his chic just left me.

He just came in for a very urgent bizness and was living back almost immediately.
I have never been in that kind of a fix before.
What shd I ve done? Lie and tell him I didn't know where my cousin was?
Give him our house address wen I knew my cousin was at the time living with her guy?
Tell him where to find my cousin?
So I decided to tell the truth and face my cousins wrath. I told him where to fine her. You shd know what happened next. My cousin hated me. I was lucky to be on admission because she shd ve beaten the living day light outa me.
But that's the life of a Christian, you do the right thing no matter what.
ITS HARD.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Following Christ So Difficult? by Nobody: 9:49am On Oct 10, 2015
TrajansKong:

But you still drink the blood of Jesus. What is the difference from drinking the blood of animals. You simply went from one form of idol worshipping to another.

3 Likes

Re: Why Is Following Christ So Difficult? by Nobody: 9:52am On Oct 10, 2015
OLAADEGBU:

You and I make up Christ. It is difficult to follow that path of knowing yourself because of erroneous teachings you have been brought up with. You are the GOD you have been searching for. The day you know yourself is the day you start following Christ.

You don't need books to know this. All you need is to free your mind from dirt you have overfed sub-conscience with the bible.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Following Christ So Difficult? by malvisguy212: 3:36pm On Oct 10, 2015
Anas09:
Like Malvis said. Dropping an old nature and picking up a new one is not easy. Especially in the kind of world we r living in today, where the society stifles the efforts of true believers.
Let me give u an example.
Am a believer, I get a contract, the project manager inflates my quotation to make money for himself. Everybody around says, mind ur bizness, these things are done everywhere, even some oga's at the top does it. So I keep quite, but later I tell my pastor abt it, he shouts "compromise" and I had to make it right, I go to the management to report myself, I get fired. My contract terminated.
Do u think another christian by the side will do what I did? But I'll do it again. This time, I'll rather not have that contract than let anyone tamper with it.
To follow christ is to turn away from the society, but u live in the society. SO IT's HARD.
Christ didn't promise a smooth ride, He promised a smooth landing.
you did well my good friend, God will bless you more abundantly.
Re: Why Is Following Christ So Difficult? by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:53am On Oct 12, 2015
OLAADEGBU:

Suggested answer:

http://www.gotquestions.org/following-Christ.html

Below is another article that shows the reality of being a Christian and that I believe will be a blessing to the body of Christ:

God loves you and has a wonderful plan for your life.

It is true that God loves you, but you decide if His plan is "wonderful." If you have heard that happiness comes through Jesus Christ, you may like to think again. The first thing Jesus said of the Apostle Paul (who wrote most of the New Testament) was that He would show him "how great things he must suffer for (His) name's sake.1 Three times Paul was beaten with rods, once he was stoned, three times he suffered shipwreck, a night and a day he spent in the sea.2 There were times when Paul was so unhappy, he wanted to die. The Bible says, "All who live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution."3 It says we enter the Kingdom of God through much distress,4 and that we were appointed to afflictions.5

Jesus said if we followed Him we would be reviled, persecuted, hated, and all manner of evil would be said against us falsely, for His sake. He warned that we would have to take up our cross daily, deny ourselves and follow Him, saying, "In the world you shall have tribulation," and even that we may be called to die for our faith.6

My wife once spoke to a young man who had believed alluring television advertisements and joined the navy to see the world; and what did he see? He saw the sea . . . and found nothing but hard work. Now he couldn't wait to leave the navy. If they had been honest in their advertising, the navy may not have got as many recruits, but at least the ones they did get would be committed, rather than deserters at heart.

I have told you the truth about Christianity. Oh . . . I forgot to mention one thing along with the trials comes "the gift of God" . . .everlasting life!7 The Apostle Paul lost everything for the sake of his faith, and said that compared to what he had found in Jesus Christ, all the riches of this world were nothing but "dung."8

If you are interested in your eternal salvation, with a tender conscience, answer the following: Have you ever lied, hated, lusted, stolen, committed adultery, had sex outside of marriage (or desired to)? Have you kept the Sabbath holy, always honoured your parents, have you put God first in your affections, have you blasphemed His name (using it to curse), have you made a god to suit yourself (been guilty of "idolatry"making a god in your own image)?

If you have broken even one of those Ten Commandments, then you have "sinned against God." On Judgment Day you will be found to be guilty. Forget any thought of a "wonderful plan" without God's mercy, you will go to Hell. Unless you repent, you will perish.9 God doesn't ask you to consider His plan for your life, He commands you to repent.10 When Jesus died on the cross, He took the punishment which was due to you and me for our sins. In doing so, He satisfied the demands of Eternal Justice, and at the same time He demonstrated how much God loves us. If you repent and put your faith in Jesus, God will forgive your sins and grant you the gift of everlasting life. Don't say you will "give it some thought"instead obey the command.

If you stepped into a courtroom and offered to pay a £50,000 fine I couldn't pay, what an insult it would be for me to say I would give your offer of help "some thought." Repent and be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ, and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit, then by the grace of God hold on, because you have just begun the "abundant life" you are going to be busy swimming upstream against the world (with all its sinful pleasures), the flesh (your sinful nature) and the devil (you'll find out about him). Read the Bible daily, obey what you read, and you will never fail.

For further reading Foxes Book of Martyrs (at your Christian bookstore).

Bible references:

1. Acts 9:16
2. 2 Corinthians 1:8
3. 2 Timothy 3:12
4. Acts 14:22
5. 1 Thessalonians 3:3

6. Matthew 24:9
7. Romans 6:23
8. Philippians 3:8
9. Luke 13:3
10. Acts 17:30 
Re: Why Is Following Christ So Difficult? by Nobody: 2:14pm On Oct 12, 2015
TrajansKong:

Israelites n Catholics are still idol worshippers. They don't worship Jesus Christ.
Re: Why Is Following Christ So Difficult? by Anas09: 3:38pm On Oct 12, 2015
Thanks Apostle Ola.
May the spirit of the Lord continue to rest upon you. The spirit of Wisdom and of understanding. The spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the Lord.
Amen.
Re: Why Is Following Christ So Difficult? by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:47pm On Oct 12, 2015
Anas09:

Thanks Apostle Ola.
May the spirit of the Lord continue to rest upon you. The spirit of Wisdom and of understanding. The spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the Lord.
Amen.

Glory be to God in the highest. Remain blessed. smiley
Re: Why Is Following Christ So Difficult? by TrajansKong: 7:50pm On Oct 12, 2015
chuna1985:

Israelites n Catholics are still idol worshippers. They don't worship Jesus Christ.

Excellent! Then rejoice!! Rejoice ye! They shall be tortured beyond belief whilst we shall survive to sing his praises (as they burn). Selah!

Re: Why Is Following Christ So Difficult? by Nobody: 9:03pm On Oct 12, 2015
TrajansKong:

Excellent! Then rejoice!! Rejoice ye! They shall be tortured beyond belief whilst we shall survive to sing his praises (as they burn). Selah!

D bible God cannot allow all his children (isrelites) to go to he'll.
Re: Why Is Following Christ So Difficult? by TrajansKong: 10:44pm On Oct 12, 2015
chuna1985:

D bible God cannot allow all his children (isrelites) to go to he'll.

Allow?? He can do as he will. He is Lord of all. Death and eternal torture is for the overwhelming majority of humanity. They have sinned and will be judged. They must burn forever. It is written. So saith the Lord God of Israel. Who are you to doubt Holy Writ? REJOICE, I say!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Are You Lukewarm? - Paul Ellis / Cults! An Outline Analysis / Bamise Ayanwole:why Did God Let His Daughter Down?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.