Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,701 members, 7,809,661 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:41 PM

Suggest A Book/ Book Reviews - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Suggest A Book/ Book Reviews (3773 Views)

The Bible As A Book. Why Should I believe it? / Suggest A Gospel Song For Wedding Reception / I Want To Change My Church. Pls Suggest A Good One. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Suggest A Book/ Book Reviews by Nobody: 9:39pm On Oct 08, 2015
Share that great book you've read.
It could be on any religion, atheism, satanism etc.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Suggest A Book/ Book Reviews by jayriginal: 9:45pm On Oct 08, 2015
sonOfLucifer:

The Mighty Atom by Marrie Corelli. Its a novel I read as a child. Incredibly moving and its theme is religion.

Please look it up. A Google search should get you a copy.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Suggest A Book/ Book Reviews by Fundamentalist: 9:50pm On Oct 08, 2015
48 laws of power by Robert Greene
Clash of civilizations by prof Huntington
The narrow path by Francis salomey

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Suggest A Book/ Book Reviews by Nobody: 9:58pm On Oct 08, 2015
jayriginal:

The Mighty Atom by Marrie Corelli. Its a novel I read as a child. Incredibly moving and its theme is religion.

Please look it up. A Google search should get you a copy.
Hi Jayjay. Ill check that out quickly.
Re: Suggest A Book/ Book Reviews by Nobody: 10:10pm On Oct 08, 2015
Fundamentalist:

48 laws of power by Robert Greene
Clash of civilizations by prof Huntington
The narrow path by Francis salomey
A short summary/description of each book would be appreciated.

My first suggestion : Harry Potter 1-7 - - ( i know this isnt strictly religion, but it does deal with the battle of good/evil tongue) This series is not as 'kiddish' as most think/suggest. There are a lot of lessons to learn on friendship, good/evil etc. The book deals with mature themes that the reader can digest easily. Dumbledore is easily my best character in the book. A few of my favorite quotes from the series..

- If you want to know what a man’s like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.
- “Do not pity the dead, Harry. Pity the living, and, above all, those who live without love.”
- It is important to fight and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then can evil be kept at bay though never quite eradicated

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Suggest A Book/ Book Reviews by basille(m): 11:29pm On Oct 08, 2015
1. The Mystical Life of Jesus by H. Spencer Lewis - In this book, the author tries to clear the myth surrounding the life and birth of Jesus with some eye opening facts. This book and "The lost symbol" by Dan brown are one of the books that easily convinces me that there are some hidden knowledge's (not decipherable by the untrained mind) in the bible, and that the bible isn't as worthless as i thought.

2. In the Light of Truth: The Grail Message by Abd-ru-shin - So much wisdom can be found in this book, though i'm not done reading it.

Nice thread OP. This is an avenue for people to get good information.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Suggest A Book/ Book Reviews by McSterling(m): 9:20am On Oct 09, 2015
The Stranger
and
The Myth of Sisyphus

Both books were authored by Albert Camus. They deal with the subject of existentialism, especially the latter. I've read the stranger but have only read part of the intro to the myth of Sisyphus.
Re: Suggest A Book/ Book Reviews by Nobody: 11:31am On Oct 09, 2015
‘Why Does the World Exist?’ by Jim Holt

Not done with this book due to lack of time. But it's been a good read so far. It starts with the basic question "why is there something rather than nothing" and i love the foreword..

“Suppose there were nothing. Then there would be no laws; for laws, after all, are something. If there were no laws, then everything would be permitted. If everything were permitted, then nothing would be forbidden. So if there were nothing, nothing would be forbidden. Thus nothing is self-forbidding. Therefore, there must be something. QED.”
Of course,not everyone would agree with this.

1 Like

Re: Suggest A Book/ Book Reviews by Richirich713: 1:34pm On Oct 09, 2015
Re: Suggest A Book/ Book Reviews by mekzyjoe(m): 6:00pm On Oct 09, 2015
sonOfLucifer:

Dis nigga
Re: Suggest A Book/ Book Reviews by McSterling(m): 6:36pm On Oct 09, 2015
sonOfLucifer:
‘Why Does the World Exist?’ by Jim Holt

Not done with this book due to lack of time. But it's been a good read so far. It starts with the basic question "why is there something rather than nothing" and i love the foreword..

“Suppose there were nothing. Then there would be no laws; for laws, after all, are something. If there were no laws, then everything would be permitted. If everything were permitted, then nothing would be forbidden. So if there were nothing, nothing would be forbidden. Thus nothing is self-forbidding. Therefore, there must be something. QED.”
Of course,not everyone would agree with this.
Seems like a really interesting one. Is it the eBook you have?
Re: Suggest A Book/ Book Reviews by johnydon22(m): 8:06pm On Oct 09, 2015

Harry potter 1-7....
Both the books and movie... all of of it..

J..R.R Tolkien.. Unfinished tales
Lord of the rings and Hobbits... great books from a great imaginative mind.

Three worlds of Igbo traditional religion by Rev fr something like that.

Epic of Gilgamesh... This is one of my best ancient works, cant just get enough of that ancient work of wonderful literature.

Just got Homers Illiad

Remember more soon..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Suggest A Book/ Book Reviews by Nobody: 8:18pm On Oct 09, 2015
johnydon22:

Harry potter 1-7....
Have this weird rabbit where I read the whole series once a year. Sometimes, twice. It's become like a Bible to me. cheesy. I didn't enjoy the movies though. Well, I rarely watch/enjoy movies tbh.
Re: Suggest A Book/ Book Reviews by Nobody: 8:23pm On Oct 09, 2015
McSterling:

No, I got the paperback version. If I find an ebook version, I could send you a copy.
Re: Suggest A Book/ Book Reviews by McSterling(m): 8:25am On Oct 10, 2015
sonOfLucifer:

No, I got the paperback version. If I find an ebook version, I could send you a copy.
OK
Re: Suggest A Book/ Book Reviews by McSterling(m): 8:26am On Oct 10, 2015
johnydon22:

Harry potter 1-7....

J..R.R Tolkien.. Unfinished tales
Lord of the rings and Hobbits... great books from a great imaginative mind.

Three worlds of Igbo traditional religion by Rev fr something like that.

Epic of Gilgamesh... This is one of my best ancient works, cant just get enough of that ancient work of wonderful literature.

Just got Homers Illiad

Remember more soon..
Man, you've got good taste.
Re: Suggest A Book/ Book Reviews by illiad: 11:28am On Oct 10, 2015
Moby Dick, all works of William Shakespeare, star book, tin drum, Harry Potter, art literature and outrage, collected poems of Emily Dickinson Robert frost and John Keats, reason and responsibility, Harvard classics collection, the Bible.... Etc

Please manage that few and don't ask for explanations!
Re: Suggest A Book/ Book Reviews by Nobody: 11:29am On Oct 10, 2015
illiad:
Moby Dick, all works of William Shakespeare, star book, tin drum, Harry Potter, art literature and outrage, collected poems of Emily Dickinson Robert frost and John Keats, reason and responsibility, Harvard classics collection...

Hahaa..

@mznelly : see, im not the only Harry Potter freak cheesy
Re: Suggest A Book/ Book Reviews by Nobody: 11:38am On Oct 10, 2015
illiad:
Moby Dick, all works of William Shakespeare, star book, tin drum, Harry Potter, art literature and outrage, collected poems of Emily Dickinson Robert frost and John Keats, reason and responsibility, Harvard classics collection, the Bible.... Etc

nice one with facts.
Re: Suggest A Book/ Book Reviews by Nobody: 11:48am On Oct 10, 2015
sonOfLucifer:

Hahaa..

@mznelly : see, im not the only Harry Potter freak cheesy

Hmmn

I see.
Surprising. smiley
Re: Suggest A Book/ Book Reviews by Nobody: 9:43pm On Oct 10, 2015
McSterling:

I have ebook copies of "Africa: Altered states" and "Why does the world exist" .
Re: Suggest A Book/ Book Reviews by McSterling(m): 10:52am On Oct 11, 2015
sonOfLucifer:

I have ebook copies of "Africa: Altered states" and "Why does the world exist" .
Tried to pm you. Not sure if it worked.
Re: Suggest A Book/ Book Reviews by Nobody: 11:00am On Oct 11, 2015
McSterling:
Tried to pm you. Not sure if it worked.
buharifan@gmail.com

Use "E-books" as topic.
@dearpreye

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Suggest A Book/ Book Reviews by McSterling(m): 11:58am On Oct 11, 2015
sonOfLucifer:
buharifan@gmail.com
Use "E-books" as topic. @dearpreye
Done
Re: Suggest A Book/ Book Reviews by Nobody: 12:30pm On Oct 11, 2015
McSterling:
Done
Sent
Re: Suggest A Book/ Book Reviews by McSterling(m): 12:52pm On Oct 11, 2015
sonOfLucifer:
Sent
Thanks
Re: Suggest A Book/ Book Reviews by Nobody: 12:58pm On Oct 11, 2015
sonOfLucifer:

Good afternoon, my brother. I wouldn't mind if you sent me those two books.....apostleship22@gmail.com is the mail. Thanks.
Re: Suggest A Book/ Book Reviews by Nobody: 1:28pm On Oct 11, 2015
I'll suggest THE RICHEST MAN IN BABAYLON, by George S Clason. One may never understand or appreciate the invaluable place of financial stability till one embarks on personal development.

One of the lessons you derive from personal development is that you're responsible for your life.

The book is a classic on how money works. Let's not pretend about it: everyone wants more money though some are more desperate in their pursuit and may do whatever it takes, legal or illegal, to make it. This book is about understanding the laws that govern money.

One of the laws in the book is A PART OF ALL YOU EARN IS YOURS TO KEEP. It's a simple but profound statement. Most of us hardly save for investment or other future purposes; we simply exhaust all our income and very often find us indebted to us. If we must attain financial stability in the future, we must train and discipline ourselves to put away a part of all we earn. We shouldn't simply earn to spend.

Another way we can increase our financial stability is TO INCREASE OUR ABILITY TO EARN. To earn more we must give more. To give more, we must BECOME more.

Anthony Robbins said ' your income right now is a result of your standards: it's not the industry; it's not the economy.
Re: Suggest A Book/ Book Reviews by Nobody: 2:19pm On Oct 11, 2015
dearpreye:
I'll suggest THE RICHEST MAN IN BABAYLON, by George S Clason. One may never understand or appreciate the invaluable place of financial stability till one embarks on personal development.

One of the lessons you derive from personal development is that you're responsible for your life.

The book is a classic on how money works. Let's not pretend about it: everyone wants more money though some are more desperate in their pursuit and may do whatever it takes, legal or illegal, to make it. This book is about understanding the laws that govern money.

One of the laws in the book is A PART OF ALL YOU EARN IS YOURS TO KEEP. It's a simple but profound statement. Most of us hardly save for investment or other future purposes; we simply exhaust all our income and very often find us indebted to us. If we must attain financial stability in the future, we must train and discipline ourselves to put away a part of all we earn. We shouldn't simply earn to spend.

Another way we can increase our financial stability is TO INCREASE OUR ABILITY TO EARN. To earn more we must give more. To give more, we must BECOME more.

Anthony Robbins said ' your income right now is a result of your standards: it's not the industry; it's not the economy.
I have read the richest man in Babylon. I have also read books from Anthony,

I also recommend Steven Covey's seven habits of highly effective people.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Suggest A Book/ Book Reviews by Nobody: 3:34pm On Oct 11, 2015
Teempakguy:
I have read the richest man in Babylon. I have also read books from Anthony,

I also recommend Steven Covey's seven habits of highly effective people.

That's a great book. I can say I've read the book but haven't really thoroughly understood it. I stumbled upon it in my former manager's desk and was attracted to it almost immediately.

My favourite habits are 1 and 7. Be proactive, and sharpen the saw.
Re: Suggest A Book/ Book Reviews by Chidexter(m): 4:12pm On Oct 11, 2015
basille:
1. The Mystical Life of Jesus by H. Spencer Lewis - In these book, the author tries to clear the myth surrounding the life and birth of Jesus with some eye opening facts. This book and "The lost symbol" by Dan brown are one of the books that easily convinces me, that there are some hidden knowledge's (not decipherable by the untrained mind) in the bible, and that the bible isn't as worthless as i thought.

2. In the Light of Truth: The Grail Message by Abd-ru-shin - So much wisdom can be found in this book, though i'm not done reading it.

Nice thread OP. This is an avenue for people to get good information.

Where/how can i get those books pls?
Re: Suggest A Book/ Book Reviews by basille(m): 4:38pm On Oct 11, 2015
Chidexter:

Where/how can i get those books pls?
[url=https://f5db1a33c5d48483c689-1033844f9683e62055e615f7d9cc8875.ssl.cf5.rackcdn.com/The%20Mystical%20Life%20of%20Jesus%20-%20H.%20Spencer%20Lewis.pdf]Mystical life of jesus - pdf[/url]

Yon can get hard copy from any Rosicrucian bookstore or outlet.

The Grail Message PDF

You can get the hard copy from any grail center.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Sinday Thread / What Do You Do When Someone Is Too Proud To Apologize Even When She's At Fault / God Plans To Destroy The Muslims

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.