Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,835 members, 7,810,212 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:02 AM

Suggest A Book/ Book Reviews - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Suggest A Book/ Book Reviews (3776 Views)

The Bible As A Book. Why Should I believe it? / Suggest A Gospel Song For Wedding Reception / I Want To Change My Church. Pls Suggest A Good One. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Suggest A Book/ Book Reviews by Chidexter(m): 4:49pm On Oct 11, 2015
basille:
[url=https://f5db1a33c5d48483c689-1033844f9683e62055e615f7d9cc8875.ssl.cf5.rackcdn.com/The%20Mystical%20Life%20of%20Jesus%20-%20H.%20Spencer%20Lewis.pdf]Mystical life of jesus - pdf[/url]

Yon can get hard copy from any Rosicrucian bookstore or outlet.

The Grail Message PDF

You can get the hard copy from any grail center.

Thanks man
Re: Suggest A Book/ Book Reviews by Nobody: 6:13pm On Oct 11, 2015
dearpreye:

That's a great book. I can say I've read the book but haven't really thoroughly understood it. I stumbled upon it in my former manager's desk and was attracted to it almost immediately.

My favourite habits are 1 and 7. Be proactive, and sharpen the saw.
the book centers on living a principled life and having an inner unchangeable core through which our character oozes from, as opposed to be influenced by outside forces.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Suggest A Book/ Book Reviews by Nobody: 6:16pm On Oct 11, 2015
I recommend wikipedia. I guess. Or any other encyclopedia. I spent the last twelve years of my life reading them. And I'm still not even halfway through. cheesy
Re: Suggest A Book/ Book Reviews by finofaya: 6:16pm On Oct 11, 2015
I'd suggest "Letters From The Earth" by Mark Twain. It's about the creation of the earth by God, written from the perspective of Lucifer who decided to spend one of his periods of banishment from heaven on earth out of curiosity. It's full of humour and its maybe a little irreverent.

The Hitchhiker trilogy (The Hitchhikers' Guide To The Galaxy, Parts 1 - 5) by Douglas Adam is another good one too, especially part 1, followed by 2 and 3. It's hard to describe what it's exactly about but it's mostly about the adventures of two humans, two aliens and a robot across space and time. It's seriously funny, dabbles into philosophy a lot and toys with your belief in God. Here is an excerpt:

"The argument goes something like this: "I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."
"But," says Man, "the Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves that You exist, and so therefore, by Your own arguments, You don't. QED"
"Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.
"Oh, that was easy," says Man, and for an encore goes on to prove that black is white and gets himself killed on the next zebra crossing."

You can also try "The Miracle Of Theism" by J. L. Mackie. It's sort of like The God Delusion but it's much earlier and written in a more balanced tone. It's also somewhat tedious and long, as the author tried to be exhaustive in examining the arguments for and against theism. There is even some maths involved, in weighing some arguments and in making others. Lol. It's a satisfying read.

My full weight (54kg) is behind the earlier mentioned Jim Holt's Why Does The World Exist too. You can't go wrong with that one. You can't go right either, as the book leaves its title question unanswered. The ride is worth it, however. As the author put it, it's an existential detective story, so it's very investigative but the case remains open.

"Anansi Boys" by Neil Gaiman is nice and puts a British twist on the Ghanaian trickster God, Anansi the spider. There is a massive plot twist too.

Then there is the FSM Gospel. Read at your own peril. smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Suggest A Book/ Book Reviews by Nobody: 6:17pm On Oct 11, 2015
Teempakguy:
the book centers on living a principled life and having an inner unchangeable core through which our character oozes from, as opposed to be influenced by outside forces.

Very true. It's talks about having our own guiding philosophy for life. Private victory vs public victory.
Re: Suggest A Book/ Book Reviews by Nobody: 8:17am On Nov 14, 2015
Just started the Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy. Craziest forward I've ever read.. cheesy cheesy
Re: Suggest A Book/ Book Reviews by Nobody: 11:53am On Dec 07, 2015
Christmas Reading List.

Re: Suggest A Book/ Book Reviews by finofaya: 8:56am On Dec 08, 2015
sonOfLucifer:
Just started the Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy. Craziest forward I've ever read.. cheesy cheesy

Lol. Strange book, eh?
Re: Suggest A Book/ Book Reviews by Nobody: 7:01pm On Dec 24, 2015
dearpreye vooks UyiIredia
Book suggestion :The Only Prayer I’ll Ever Pray: Let My People Go by Donald R. Wright.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Suggest A Book/ Book Reviews by Nobody: 7:03pm On Dec 24, 2015
musKeeto:
dearpreye vooks UyiIredia
Book suggestion :The Only Prayer I’ll Ever Pray: Let My People Go by Donald R. Wright.

Any summary? Any paragraphs worth seeing? Set me up.
Re: Suggest A Book/ Book Reviews by Nobody: 7:05pm On Dec 24, 2015
dearpreye:

Any summary? Any paragraphs worth seeing? Set me up.
This post on amazon sums it up.

The Only Prayer I'll Ever Pray is a succinct look into the detrimental effects of religion and religious fallacy. Written from the perspective of a former Baptist deacon, it renders a very compelling call-especially for Blacks-to develop critical thinking skills and embrace rational thinking relative to our allegiance to Christianity, as well as religion in general. The author chronicles his very interesting and enlightening metamorphosis from an unquestioning dedicated deacon to a man of sobering reason. Being the first of its kind that I'd encountered, I was unable to put it down. This book inspired a desire for intellectual growth and is A MUST READ! It helped to bring about a renewed appreciation for the often unsung value of rationality.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Suggest A Book/ Book Reviews by Nobody: 7:45pm On Dec 24, 2015
musKeeto:

This post on amazon sums it up.

The Only Prayer I'll Ever Pray is a succinct look into the detrimental effects of religion and religious fallacy. Written from the perspective of a former Baptist deacon, it renders a very compelling call-especially for Blacks-to develop critical thinking skills and embrace rational thinking relative to our allegiance to Christianity, as well as religion in general. The author chronicles his very interesting and enlightening metamorphosis from an unquestioning dedicated deacon to a man of sobering reason. Being the first of its kind that I'd encountered, I was unable to put it down. This book inspired a desire for intellectual growth and is A MUST READ! It helped to bring about a renewed appreciation for the often unsung value of rationality.

I'm amazed as to why you were able to guess rightly a book that will satisfy my curiosity. Whatever the case, It's a MUST read for me. I just don't have enough confidence in this religion thing any more.

I'll check it out on Scribd alter this evening.
Re: Suggest A Book/ Book Reviews by CoolUsername: 7:54pm On Dec 24, 2015
finofaya:

Lol. Strange book, eh?
A comedic masterpiece!
Re: Suggest A Book/ Book Reviews by Nobody: 7:56pm On Dec 24, 2015
dearpreye:

I'm amazed as to why you were able to guess rightly a book that will satisfy my curiosity. Whatever the case, It's a MUST read for me. I just don't have enough confidence in this religion thing any more.

I'll check it out on Scribd alter this evening.
Because you are at a stage I once was. I can also sense your sincerity and honesty, and a sense of patriotism. Your honest and sincerity combined with your desire to see your community progress seems to be at loggerheads with the beliefs you profess. You want to believe in Jesus, but know within, there's something fundamentally wrong with Christianity, especially the Nigerian brand.
Try as you might to ignore them, your curiosity will continue to drive you, the questions you'll ask might drive away friends. . You'd feel inspired one day, and depressed the next. Never stop questioning. At the end, it's all worth it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Suggest A Book/ Book Reviews by MizMyColi(f): 8:01pm On Dec 24, 2015
angry
Re: Suggest A Book/ Book Reviews by Nobody: 8:02pm On Dec 24, 2015
MizMyColi:
angry
my woman, my everything.. grin

merry xmas dear. kiss kiss

1 Like

Re: Suggest A Book/ Book Reviews by Nobody: 8:05pm On Dec 24, 2015
musKeeto:

Because you are at a stage I once was. I can also sense your sincerity and honesty, and a sense of patriotism. Your honest and sincerity combined with your desire to see your community progress seems to be at loggerheads with the beliefs you profess. You want to believe in Jesus, but know within, there's something fundamentally wrong with Christianity, especially the Nigerian brand.
Try as you might to ignore them, your curiosity will continue to drive you, the questions you'll ask might drive away friends. . You'd feel inspired one day, and depressed the next. Never stop questioning. At the end, it's all worth it.

You're saying all the truth. I'm sure something is fundamentally flawed about religion, especially the Nigerian brand.

I've read a few pages from Amazon on that book. I can't wait to finish it.......Yes. I will still love to have faith in God but I'll never be driven again; I'll drive myself.
Re: Suggest A Book/ Book Reviews by MizMyColi(f): 8:39pm On Dec 24, 2015
musKeeto:

my woman, my everything.. grin

merry xmas dear. kiss kiss

cheesy
Same to you dear kiss

You guys have been devouring books here.
Not fair.
Re: Suggest A Book/ Book Reviews by finofaya: 9:12pm On Dec 24, 2015
CoolUsername:
A comedic masterpiece!

!!! It's such a brilliantly written book.
Re: Suggest A Book/ Book Reviews by Nobody: 7:08am On Dec 28, 2015
MizMyColi:

cheesy
Same to you dear kiss

You guys have been devouring books here.
Not fair.
Feel free to join us. grin

1 Like

Re: Suggest A Book/ Book Reviews by MizColiatu: 12:00pm On Dec 28, 2015
cheesy cheesy
sonOfLucifer:

Feel free to join us. grin
Re: Suggest A Book/ Book Reviews by itodoho(m): 5:48pm On Dec 28, 2015
Who can get me a link to any of dennis wheatleys novels? Esp the gregory sallust series. Thanks in advance.
Re: Suggest A Book/ Book Reviews by Nobody: 5:51pm On Dec 28, 2015
itodoho:
Who can get me a link to any of dennis wheatleys novels? Esp the gregory sallust series. Thanks in advance.
Got your back bro tongue... send me a mail. buharifan@gmail.com ill email them to you..
caye... for you too.
Re: Suggest A Book/ Book Reviews by Nobody: 6:10pm On Dec 28, 2015
MizColiatu:
cheesy cheesy
Dem ban you.
Re: Suggest A Book/ Book Reviews by itodoho(m): 11:37pm On Dec 28, 2015
sonOfLucifer:

Got your back bro tongue... send me a mail. buharifan@gmail.com ill email them to you..
caye... for you too.
thanks man. Pls send to gifted.mind@yahoo.com(NB; theres a dot btw gifted and mind). Eagerly await ur reply. Thanks again.
Re: Suggest A Book/ Book Reviews by Nobody: 5:49am On Dec 29, 2015
itodoho:

thanks man. Pls send to gifted.mind@yahoo.com(NB; theres a dot btw gifted and mind). Eagerly await ur reply. Thanks again.
Sent.. no problem.
Re: Suggest A Book/ Book Reviews by AMBIVERT(f): 9:53am On Dec 29, 2015
sonOfLucifer:

Dem ban you.

Yesshhsmiley

Got any book to recommend?
Please, I don't want dry ones that are so full of logic without a human element. cool
Re: Suggest A Book/ Book Reviews by DutchNegro(m): 9:07pm On Jan 12, 2016
Hi peeps, I'm an passionate reader of books based on philosophy and logic... but the major problem with many of us who look up to guys like you is the inability to lay our hands on many of these books... Most especially the Davinci Code by Leonardo Davinci
Re: Suggest A Book/ Book Reviews by Nobody: 4:57am On Feb 14, 2016
Just started this:
Zero: The Biography of a Dangerous Idea

The Babylonians invented it, the Greeks banned it, the Hindus worshipped it, and the Church used it to fend off heretics. For centuries, the power of zero savored of the demonic; once harnessed, it became the most important tool in mathematics. Zero follows this number from its birth as an Eastern philosophical concept to its struggle for acceptance in Europe and its apotheosis as the mystery of the black hole. Today, zero lies at the heart of one of the biggest scientific controversies of all time, the quest for the theory of everything. Elegant, witty, and enlightening, Zero is a compelling look at the strangest number in the universe and one of the greatest paradoxes of human thought
Re: Suggest A Book/ Book Reviews by CoolUsername: 10:10am On Feb 14, 2016
finofaya:
I'd suggest "Letters From The Earth" by Mark Twain. It's about the creation of the earth by God, written from the perspective of Lucifer who decided to spend one of his periods of banishment from heaven on earth out of curiosity. It's full of humour and its maybe a little irreverent.

The Hitchhiker trilogy (The Hitchhikers' Guide To The Galaxy, Parts 1 - 5) by Douglas Adam is another good one too, especially part 1, followed by 2 and 3. It's hard to describe what it's exactly about but it's mostly about the adventures of two humans, two aliens and a robot across space and time. It's seriously funny, dabbles into philosophy a lot and toys with your belief in God. Here is an excerpt:

"The argument goes something like this: "I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."
"But," says Man, "the Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves that You exist, and so therefore, by Your own arguments, You don't. QED"
"Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.
"Oh, that was easy," says Man, and for an encore goes on to prove that black is white and gets himself killed on the next zebra crossing."

You can also try "The Miracle Of Theism" by J. L. Mackie. It's sort of like The God Delusion but it's much earlier and written in a more balanced tone. It's also somewhat tedious and long, as the author tried to be exhaustive in examining the arguments for and against theism. There is even some maths involved, in weighing some arguments and in making others. Lol. It's a satisfying read.

My full weight (54kg) is behind the earlier mentioned Jim Holt's Why Does The World Exist too. You can't go wrong with that one. You can't go right either, as the book leaves its title question unanswered. The ride is worth it, however. As the author put it, it's an existential detective story, so it's very investigative but the case remains open.

"Anansi Boys" by Neil Gaiman is nice and puts a British twist on the Ghanaian trickster God, Anansi the spider. There is a massive plot twist too.

Then there is the FSM Gospel. Read at your own peril. smiley

I've read parts 1 and 2 of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and I was very impressed.

I'm currently reading the Gospel of FSM and to be honest, it's actually very well-written satire.
Re: Suggest A Book/ Book Reviews by Richirich713: 11:14am On Feb 14, 2016
Mere Christianity - CS Lewis

I know most here ain't gonna read it but what the heck.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Are Gods So Powerless Nowadays? / The Third Secret Of Fatima, The Impostor Sister Lucia And The End Of The World. / Gaining The World, But Losing Your Soul?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.