Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,199 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:24 AM

Is UAE The Most Depressing Country In The World ? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Is UAE The Most Depressing Country In The World ? (2408 Views)

You Will Not Believe This Transformation Of The UAE / Nigeria Ranked 5th Most Dangerous Country In The World By World Economic Forum / This Beautiful Place Is The ONLY Country In The World With No Mosquitoes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is UAE The Most Depressing Country In The World ? by nochildsplay(m): 11:04am On Oct 09, 2015
Dubai like you all call it is one of the 7 states of Abudhabi,Ajman,Sharja,Umm Al Quaiwain,Ras Al Khaimah, Fujairah, in the Emirates

I don’t claim to be an expert on political or social issues, so take what I say with a grain of salt, as I may be completely off base. I visited the UAE for the first
time last November, and found it fascinating. It was kind of like Las Vegas on steroids, minus the slutty
clothing.
There are some places I love because they’re beautiful and the people are amazing, like my four favorite places in the world: Bali, Berchtesgaden, Hong Kong, and Queenstown . Then there are places that I’m simply fascinated by, and I’m not sure what to think of them. The UAE fits in that category.
On the surface it’s an amazing place. It’s like Disney World for adults, with the biggest and most expensive of everything. And what I also find fascinating about the UAE is how international it is. It’s the only place
outside of the US or Germany where people don’t automatically assume I’m a visitor, because it’s a country full of temporary residents. While the US
might be a “melting pot,” the UAE is a salad bowl, with all kinds of cultures that keep to themselves.

But here’s what’s depressing about the UAE — it’s the first place I’ve honestly felt sorry for the people serving me, be it in a restaurant, hotel, taxi, or elsewhere. I’ve been to a ton of third world countries, but I’ve never felt “sorry” for the average person
there. That’s simply because I don’t think there’s a connection between wealth and happiness. You see families in India living in poverty that are happy
because they value what’s important in life (health,family, etc.), while you see depressed billionaires in the US. That’s actually probably one of the first lessons I ever learned from traveling — there’s not much of a correlation between wealth and happiness.

But the UAE is an exception, because no matter which person in the service industry you talk to, the story is identical. They’re here on a temporary work permit (usually 2-5 years), and work 12+ hours per day, 6-7 days per week. But what makes the UAE different
than most other places in the world where people work “hard” is that they’re separated from their family. They’re literally abused to work, work all day,
bused back to their “compound,” sleep, and start the cycle all over again.
And in a way it makes me feel even more fortunate for what I have. Not even that I have a pretty awesome/fun job, but the fact that I have the ability
to live where I want. I’ve been fascinated by every person I’ve come in
contact with in this country. Whether I’m getting in a cab, having lunch, or checking into a hotel, I’m always curious to hear peoples’ life stores. I’ll ask them where they’re from, how long they’ve been here, and whether
they like it or not. While the answers vary as to where they’re from, there’s one thing that’s consistent — nobody likes working here. A couple of days ago I talked to a waitress who said she had been here for six months and that she still cries every night.

The other night I took a personal tour in Abu dhabi, where most Africans reside, I found out that some don't even have documents to identify their Nationality, some have sold their passport for feeding( they called them "Tekos"wink. 99.9% of the ladies are into various forms of prostition ..... It's even worst in Diera where most of the populations there are Africans
I have pretty mixed feelings about all of this. On one hand I feel guilty enjoying myself on a vacation knowing the hardships these people are subjected to.
On the other hand nobody is forcing them to work here — they could have stayed in their country but chose to
move here (admittedly this may just all be a cycle, since they were indirectly “forced” to move here due to lack
of jobs in their home countries in some cases). But more than anything else it makes me thankful for what I have.
This is the first time I’ve ever felt like I’m being served by indentured servants, for lack of a better way of
putting it.

Am I off base? For those that have visited the UAE (or similar Middle Eastern countries), how do you feel?
For those that haven’t, would you feel comfortable with this kind of a situation?

cc: lalasticlala, seun,

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is UAE The Most Depressing Country In The World ? by Nobody: 5:58pm On Oct 09, 2015
I agree with you
...in addition, blacks are really not liked so much there....however I maybe biased about this

Dubai is kind of soul-less to me lipsrsealed
There is no character to the city, no story, everything is touristy and has a contrived feel to it....it is super modern, beautiful, rich....but there is nothing it represents....maybe because there are few natives there
I have been there once....for a week...but I know I will not like to go again....even if I got a free ticket
I stayed in the finest parts of the city.....so it is not a question of maybe I stayed in a bad part

The sheer nothingness of the city is beyond my imagination
When people rave on here about Dubai, I go like, shocked...or maybe I was stoned all through my stay there
It is most certainly a place I will not want to go to a second time...

Someone I know is getting married to a man than lives there....her family is soo happy about it, and she intends to move there to be with her husband
I feel sorry for her....but at least their love will weather them through the sheer mind-numbing, endless, meaningless riches in that place I suppose?
Alone in Dubai, I would have gone really mad

I am very sorry for this diss at Dubai...no disrespect meant, but I stand by all I say

5 Likes

Re: Is UAE The Most Depressing Country In The World ? by Nobody: 6:00pm On Oct 09, 2015
@ Poster, I see your four favourite places....
which countries have you been to in Africa? I would really love to travel much within Africa
It is a dream of mine

1 Like

Re: Is UAE The Most Depressing Country In The World ? by ttmacoy: 6:40pm On Oct 09, 2015
I agree with you. I got same impression, and a friend who lives there with a good job said it feels hollow and sterile.

milychocs:
I agree with you
...in addition, blacks are really not liked so much there....however I maybe biased about this

There is no character to the city, no story, everything is touristy and has a contrived feel to it....it is super modern, beautiful, rich....but there is nothing it represents....maybe because there are few natives there
I have been there once....for a week...but I know I will not like to go again....even if I got a free ticket
I stayed in the finest parts of the city.....so it is not a question of maybe I stayed in a bad part

When people rave on here about Dubai, I go like, shocked...or maybe I was stoned all through my stay there
It is most certainly a place I will not want to go a second time...

Someone I know is getting married to a man than lives there....her family is soo happy about it, and she intends to move there to be with her husband
I feel sorry for her....but at least their love will weather them through the sheer mind-numbing, endless, meaningless riches in that place I suppose?

I am very sorry for this diss at Dubai...no disrespect meant, but I stand by all I say

2 Likes

Re: Is UAE The Most Depressing Country In The World ? by nochildsplay(m): 6:45pm On Oct 09, 2015
ttmacoy:
I agree with you. I got same impression, and a friend who lives there with a good job said it feels hollow and sterile.

they work 12hrs or more on a 6days same routine ....... There's not joy or happiness

1 Like

Re: Is UAE The Most Depressing Country In The World ? by ttmacoy: 6:51pm On Oct 09, 2015
Yeah most of the migrants there with low paid jobs do not have good conditions.

My friend has a good job with Barclays so condition and pay wise he is doing well, but he doesn't see it as a long term place to settle down and raise his kids.

For those without good jobs they live like slaves with their passports seized from them. Lots of immigrants e.g from India have died in Qatar working under inhumane conditions to build stadiums for the world cup.

nochildsplay:
they work 12hrs or more on a 6days same routine ....... There's not joy or happiness

3 Likes

Re: Is UAE The Most Depressing Country In The World ? by nochildsplay(m): 7:07pm On Oct 09, 2015
ttmacoy:
Yeah most of the migrants there with low paid jobs do not have good conditions.

My friend has a good job with Barclays so condition and pay wise he is doing well, but he doesn't see it as a long term place to settle down and raise his kids.

For those without good jobs they live like slaves with their passports seized from them. Lots of immigrants e.g from India have died in Qatar working under inhumane conditions to build stadiums for the world cup.

I concur.
Re: Is UAE The Most Depressing Country In The World ? by Miami11: 7:32pm On Oct 09, 2015
To me everywhere that is not Africa is sickening

After spending 15 years in U.S. Am so ready to go back home. I was born and bred in Ghana and if it wasn't for my husband I would have packed the kids and gone home nothing like Africa.

1 Like

Re: Is UAE The Most Depressing Country In The World ? by alaoeri: 9:17pm On Oct 09, 2015
milychocs:
I agree with you

It is most certainly a place I will not want to go a second time...

Ain't against your view but for ppl working 6 to 6 or 9 to 9 as contract staff in 7up, coca cola, all these chinko companies etc under harsh conditions with a meagre take home of about 40k to 50k monthly will jump on the next available flight to Dubai to work for the same duration plus free accommodation & other benefits for 120k monthly.
Re: Is UAE The Most Depressing Country In The World ? by Nobody: 9:54pm On Oct 09, 2015
alaoeri:

Ain't against your view but for ppl working 6 to 6 or 9 to 9 as contract staff in 7up, coca cola, all these chinko companies etc under harsh conditions with a meagre take home of about 40k to 50k monthly will jump on the next available flight to Dubai to work for the same duration plus free accommodation & other benefits for 120k monthly.

You are right...I am not knocking on my peoples' hustle there
I support them ....they should work and save and leave that place soon
I do not reckon people would go there to live if not for economic benefits

I would not work in that place for any reason though.....
Okay, maybe for a maximum of one month, a huuuuge pay and a nice hotel stay with possibility of getting free, professional massages cool I would stay and work there

3 Likes

Re: Is UAE The Most Depressing Country In The World ? by Levelzguy(m): 9:02pm On Nov 01, 2015
i agree with the op..i travelled to dubai few years back after i was hoodwinked into believing that the streets were paved with gold and salary is out of this world.i contacted an agent sharpaly and paid an humongous sum just for 2months tourist visa.i had higher than normal expectations and when i landed reality hit me and my head was spinning.all na hogwash.i was staying in a room with like 5 other guys and still paid 200dollars a month.no meaningful jobs except for security and cleaner jobs.i refused to settle for those menial jobs and alas my visa ran out when i was still being choosy.abu dhabi was no different.deira na another fin.nigerians there don turn criminals always looking for ways to extort you all in the name of arranging jobs for you.they were even sending me money from home hunger nearly kill me.i type CV tire.my family took pity on me and sent me money for return ticket to put me out of my misery.i was too ashamed to cone back home and instead bought a ticket to .nairobi instead so that i coukd explore that country too.dat one na another story.i was detained at kenyatta airport just cuz i couldnt cough up the 200dollars bribe the immigration man requested for before stamping my visa.i only had money to pay 60dollars or so point of entry visa.consequently i was locked up at the airport for a week.omo dat one na another story.bottom line get adequate info before hopping on a plane to anywhere..abroad no be beans.peace

1 Like

Re: Is UAE The Most Depressing Country In The World ? by RedCapChief(m): 9:16pm On Nov 01, 2015
Levelzguy:
i agree with the op..i travelled to dubai few years back after i was hoodwinked into believing that the streets were paved with gold and salary is out of this world.i contacted an agent sharpaly and paid an humongous sum just for 2months tourist visa.i had higher than normal expectations and when i landed reality hit me and my head was spinning.all na hogwash.i was staying in a room with like 5 other guys and still paid 200dollars a month.no meaningful jobs except for security and cleaner jobs.i refused to settle for those menial jobs and alas my visa ran out when i was still being choosy.abu dhabi was no different.deira na another fin.nigerians there don turn criminals always looking for ways to extort you all in the name of arranging jobs for you.they were even sending me money from home hunger nearly kill me.i type CV tire.my family took pity on me and sent me money for return ticket to put me out of my misery.i was too ashamed to cone back home and instead bought a ticket to .nairobi instead so that i coukd explore that country too.dat one na another story.i was detained at kenyatta airport just cuz i couldnt cough up the 200dollars bribe the immigration man requested for before stamping my visa.i only had money to pay 60dollars or so point of entry visa.consequently i was locked up at the airport for a week.omo dat one na another story.bottom line get adequate info before hopping on a plane to anywhere..abroad no be beans.peace

Sweet Mother of God!! You've really gone through the mill. Sorry about your travails. That's the thing with being a man, we gats hustle. Why were you not let into Nairobi? I don't know Kenya to be an unfriendly place
Re: Is UAE The Most Depressing Country In The World ? by Levelzguy(m): 7:22am On Nov 02, 2015
RedCapChief:

Sweet Mother of God!! You've really gone through the mill. Sorry about your travails. That's the thing with being a man, we gats hustle. Why were you not let into Nairobi? I don't know Kenya to be an unfriendly place
i guess they discovered i wasnt travelling from my home country and that my visa had expired from where i was coming from so they wanted to obtain me.me wey broke pass anyfin...coupled with the nefarious activities of naija guys there.kenyans like beefing us cuz we takeover their girls lolss at least dats what i hear..i wish to visit again anyways...legit dis time around say holiday tins

1 Like

Re: Is UAE The Most Depressing Country In The World ? by Pidggin(f): 7:41am On Nov 02, 2015
alaoeri:

But the ones in Nigeria are better of, because they have a life. They have families, friends, relatives, they can practice their religion(if they are Christian or traditionalists), attend social functions, do other businesses on the side, life is more flexible here.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

WARNING! Please Stop Patronizing PEACEMASS Transit / First Bank Of Nigeria Abu Dhabi Branch Wahala / Student Visa To Kenya

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.