Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,849 members, 7,841,211 topics. Date: Monday, 27 May 2024 at 01:37 AM

How Can A Nigerian University Student Overcome Poverty In School? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How Can A Nigerian University Student Overcome Poverty In School? (698 Views)

Idea To End Poverty In Nigeria / Why Majority Of Nigerian University Graduates Are Un-employed / N2,500/day - University Student Part-time Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How Can A Nigerian University Student Overcome Poverty In School? by severus(m): 2:05pm On Oct 09, 2015
it is no news that most students in our higher institutions suffer from a major streak of poverty, we see our fellow Nigerian students having to cast blocks or do plastering and even resort to cleaning just to live for one more day, others who pay their own school fees are also suffering just to stay in school. Even worse, students are often forced to drop from school for accumulation of unpaid fees, even though parents are sweating, toiling and suffering to get even a little, and the students go home with their dreams shattered and their parents are broken in sorrow, and the pressure to be anything other than a failure often drive them into illegal and criminal acts just to get some thing to live on.

No doubt there has been few attempts to reduce this, but it is not enough, scholarships are being given to a few, but there are millions of Nigerian students in need of help, and it begs the question, Is it time for Nigerian students to take matters into their own hands ?. I believe so, as leaders of tomorrow and future pioneers, we must no longer wait for those who loot our money to give us a little, we must be strong and prove ourselves, no more crying.

So as a core Nigerian student with dreams just like you too, i'll say that we should try and get creative, go out and look for part-time sustainable work, get a good side business and try to learn and also survive. That is my opinion. NIGERIA STUDENTS, WHAT IS YOURS?
Re: How Can A Nigerian University Student Overcome Poverty In School? by Nobody: 2:13pm On Oct 09, 2015
A friend (guy) of mine back then in school that makes quality sandals and slippers in Aba and then brings it to school (absu) to sell them, that's after he must have sold some of them @ aba.

It is well..
Re: How Can A Nigerian University Student Overcome Poverty In School? by ajasa4link: 3:38pm On Oct 09, 2015
Back then in school, I had to work as a waiter with numerous caterers in order to survive. U see me Mondays to Fridays in school going from one lecture to another from morning till evening, while Saturdays and Sundays are used for making money. From Friday afternoon I start connecting with my guys at home for any available event, and once I get confirmation I join them Saturday morning where we serve and dish out food at the party and get paid by whichever caterer we work with.
This was with I did from year 1 to 4 and despite this my academics never suffered, in fact there was no year my cgpa dropped below 4.0 out of 5.0.

Though it wasn't easy, but I survived and am grateful to God for where I am today.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

NEED A JOB?!!! Get In Here…we Are Currently Recruiting / Is This Real Or Scam? / Business Development Manager,power

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.