Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,186 members, 7,825,706 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 09:15 PM

How To Choose A Good Domain Name For Your Blog. - Webmasters (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / How To Choose A Good Domain Name For Your Blog. (6085 Views)

Can A Good Domain Name I Mean Just The Name Be Sold For Thousands Of Dollars? / How To Choose A Good Domain Name - 5 Pro Tips / How To Choose A Domain Name For Your Blog (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Choose A Good Domain Name For Your Blog. by charlyge(m): 4:36pm On Oct 09, 2015
Really informative...

meanwhile Guys i have a Facebook page of 16k likes for sale ping 7F563EFC or whatsaap if u interested 07066241263 for 8000naira
Re: How To Choose A Good Domain Name For Your Blog. by Lawpadi: 4:54pm On Oct 09, 2015
Great post!

If we may add one important point.

Avoid cybersquatting - Cybersquatting is when a person buys a domain name and has no intention of ever using it commercially, but only buys it before the person who has more of a right to it is able to buy it. The sole purpose then is so that you can attempt to sell the domain to the person later (or prevent the person from entering other markets). By virtue of the new Cybercrime Act 2015, cybersquatting is illegal and is liable on conviction to imprisonment for a term of not more than 2 years or a fine of not more than N5,000,000.00 or to both fine and imprisonment.

So when you are choosing your domain name, you need to be mindful that you are not cybersquatting.
Re: How To Choose A Good Domain Name For Your Blog. by ennydoc: 5:17pm On Oct 09, 2015
nice post. what's in a name... a rose by any other name smells just as sweet - Shakespeare.

www.nicampus.com
Re: How To Choose A Good Domain Name For Your Blog. by Peter325ukay(m): 5:30pm On Oct 09, 2015
You can check this one out

Re: How To Choose A Good Domain Name For Your Blog. by iykepromotions: 5:36pm On Oct 09, 2015
Ptoocool:
thanks for ur help the other time..
gracias
Re: How To Choose A Good Domain Name For Your Blog. by phemzee(m): 6:09pm On Oct 09, 2015
Cool article. FYI, I register domains and host websites. Holla!
Re: How To Choose A Good Domain Name For Your Blog. by ifyan(m): 7:35pm On Oct 09, 2015
Nice and truth unlike other posts about blogging concerning monetization.

Check out this blog

http://www.nairausd.com/?m=1
Re: How To Choose A Good Domain Name For Your Blog. by pacespot(m): 8:36pm On Oct 09, 2015
Lawpadi:
Great post!

Avoid cybersquatting - Cybersquatting is when a person buys a domain name and has no intention of ever using it commercially, but only buys it before the person who has more of a right to it is able to buy it. The sole purpose then is so that you can attempt to sell the domain to the person later (or prevent the person from entering other markets). By virtue of the new Cybercrime Act 2015, cybersquatting is illegal and is liable on conviction to imprisonment for a term of not more than 2 years or a fine of not more than N5,000,000.00 or to both fine and imprisonment.

So when you are choosing your domain name, you need to be mindful that you are not cybersquatting.

Please, how can I report this kind of offense, coz it happens to me. Someone else has taken over my brand name 'Pacespot' I have been using since November, 2014. You can see the blog in my signature, I have been trying to register my domain name for a while now only to find out that this cybersquatter has hijacked it through Godaddy. The person registered the domain name(pacespot DOT com) on May 2015, but only keep it not using it. I had problem using my bank account to purchase stuff online was the reason for the delay in registering the domain name on time.

The person might even be one of the readers on my blog, coz the blog is growing steadily with decent daily page visits. Please, how can I retrieve this domain from him/her?
Re: How To Choose A Good Domain Name For Your Blog. by pacespot(m): 8:37pm On Oct 09, 2015
Lawpadi:
Great post!

Please, how can I report this kind of offense, coz it happens to me. Someone else has taken over my brand name 'Pacespot' I have been using since November, 2014. You can see the blog in my signature, I have been trying to register my domain name for a while now only to find out that this cybersquatter has hijacked it through Godaddy. The person registered the domain name(pacespot DOT com) on May 2015, but only keep it not using it. I had problem using my bank account to purchase stuff online was the reason for the delay in registering the domain name on time.

The person might even be one of the readers on my blog, coz the blog is growing steadily with decent daily page visits. Please, how can I retrieve this domain from him/her?
Re: How To Choose A Good Domain Name For Your Blog. by paulsir: 9:06pm On Oct 09, 2015
pacespot:

HAVE YOU HEARD ABOUT DOMAIN FLIPPING OR VIRTUAL REAL ESTATE BEFORE ?
ITS CALLED BIZNESS.
Re: How To Choose A Good Domain Name For Your Blog. by zubbynize(m): 9:33pm On Oct 09, 2015
Hmmmmmm immpressive

Have u visited::::::::::

www.zubbymp3.. For music and new update
Re: How To Choose A Good Domain Name For Your Blog. by pacespot(m): 9:47pm On Oct 09, 2015
paulsir:

HAVE YOU HEARD ABOUT DOMAIN FLIPPING OR VIRTUAL REAL ESTATE BEFORE ?
ITS CALLED BIZNESS.

What kind of awkward business will make you register another man's idea as your business. After he has worked to grow it to limelight
Re: How To Choose A Good Domain Name For Your Blog. by coderoflife: 4:05am On Oct 10, 2015
odinese:
.i only know:-

Nairaland.com
YouTube. Com
Bleachers report
Dailymail.UK
ESPN
Blaugranens

The rest bullshit.
Uhm, there are other great websites too making really huge impacts on our web space, some of which u've probably heard off but just failed to mention
Facebook.com
Twitter.com
Prayerbox.co
Crunchbase.com
9gag.com
And a whole host of others, thanks bro
Re: How To Choose A Good Domain Name For Your Blog. by mitmas(m): 8:35am On Oct 10, 2015
iykepromotions:
wonderful article though you're strictly talking about domain for a blog here but domain name monetisation is another unique way to make money online even without building a website. all you have to do is to buy good domain name; keyword rich or brandable, park it for free, the parking company will in turn scatter adverts on it and it will be exactly like a website. now whenever a visitor visits it and CLICK on any advert there you make money. another bigger way to make money from just a domain name is to resell it after some time. frankly speaking most good and short domain names has been taken and the only arear you can found it is targeting EXPIRED DOMAINS. expired domains are names that the original owner fail to renew during it's expiration date. after a grace of 45 days if the owner still fails to renew it the name will be deleted and will be available for anyone to re-register. for more info about this investment do your own personal research or visit www.julanky.com to get involved
Wasup dude! I feel you, you are killing it. Thumbs up. I think voodoo pays well than bodis... I just got a payment alert from bodis, though not much but caters for my 142 domains renew.

I sold 200copies of my eBook on how to startup domain business with #1000 and make consistent cash on it be it by selling or parking. If anyone here is interested in starting this biz, mail drmitmas4luv @ gmail. com

Just #2500 for the eBook.
Re: How To Choose A Good Domain Name For Your Blog. by Lawpadi: 10:16am On Oct 12, 2015
pacespot:

The process is not very easy to be honest.

1. If you want to use the Cybercrime Act provision, the FG has not yet set up the system for making reports of cybersquatting, so as a result you might have to file a police report (which we both know might take forever to resolve)

2. The ICANN have a process for resolving domain disputes, however you need to prove that you indeed have the IP rights over your brand name ' pacespot', the mere fact that you have used it in a blog will not be conclusive proof. Do you have a registered trade mark? do you have sufficient level of awareness that the name 'pacespot' is well known to be associated with only you and your line of business?

These are the types of questions you will need to answer in order to successfully get back the domain name if you want to go down a legal route.

First things first, maybe you should contact the person who registered it, you can do a 'whois' search to find out the owner of the domain. You need to be sure that the person is actually cybersquatting. He/she could have validly registered it looking to set up a business in their own right, having absolutely nothing to do with your own line of business, in which case you can't really accuse the person of cybersquatting. It might be that the person offers to give it back to you...or maybe offers to sell it to you at a reasonable price.

Another option for you is that you could attempt to register the 'pacespot.ng or pacespot.com.ng' domain names. It is unlikely those will be taken as well.

As with any legal issue, it is always best to either settle amicably or look to avoid litigation. Lawyers are not cheap (because the skills they provide are in high demand and the value they bring is also quite important). If you can avoid going down the legal route, then please avoid it.

We hope you have found this information helpful. Please note that this information is provided for general informational purposes only and is not intended to be legal advice. No lawyer-client relationship is formed nor should any such relationship be implied. This answer is not intended to substitute for the advice of a qualified lawyer. If you require legal advice, please consult with a qualified lawyer.

1 Like

Re: How To Choose A Good Domain Name For Your Blog. by Nobody: 1:18pm On Mar 26, 2016
Ptoocool:
Wot if I choose to name the domain after the name I bear?

Any probs wif dat?
ok. all depends on your intensions.
Re: How To Choose A Good Domain Name For Your Blog. by Nobody: 1:22pm On Mar 26, 2016
on point.

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Secret To Getting A Lot Of Web Design Work In Nigeria / What To Do When Adsense Application Is Rejected On Grounds Of Graphic Content? / How To Start A Whatsapp Tv And Make At Least N50, 000 Monthly

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.