Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,759 members, 7,820,646 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:42 PM

Serving Your Fathers Land Or What?nysc - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Serving Your Fathers Land Or What?nysc (1826 Views)

Make Cool Income While Serving Ur Fathers Land And Also For Biz Start Up / What Nysc Has Done To Me. A Must See! / What's NYSC In LAGOS Like??? Please Share Your Experiences (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Serving Your Fathers Land Or What?nysc by aadewale(m): 7:24am On Oct 10, 2006
Hi guys,

Just want to know your opinion about the National Youth Service corps NYSC programme. Do you think it has not outlived its purpose? What do you think about being posted to one remote village where you are kept idle and incommunicado for twelve months and you have to survive on 8.5k. What do you guys think?

am waiting to get your response
Re: Serving Your Fathers Land Or What?nysc by waa1972(m): 8:13am On Oct 10, 2006
I my own opinion, it is good and bad.
Take these scenarios:
1. A student in his 20's just finished Uni/Poly. and was posted to another state where he can earn some money at least, for the 1st time maybe in his life and know other parts of the country. Infact some guys are very eager to do NYSC. This may be a good idea.

2. Another guy in his mid 30's, with two masters degrees and about 4 years experience in Oil and Gas sector from Europe all at the cost of Nigeria and EU. He came back to Nigeria and was told by all the oil companies to present the NYSC cert. What for God's sake? Are we encouraging talents to come back to their fatherland or discouraging them? Judge for yourself.
Re: Serving Your Fathers Land Or What?nysc by BK(m): 12:35pm On Oct 11, 2006
Hi Guys

as for me and NYSC (serving our Father Land), i think the way is practised now is not the main reason of this commission. It actually makes no sense going to another state you have not been before to trying to fix life. Some state's local government gives ears to corpers while majority or the rest show no face for corpers. Leaving camp to the various primary posting is actually  fun as in one is actually planning to serve his/her country only to get there and find no accommodation at least for a stranger in the land, allowances are not paid when they are needed, are all the others i might not have time to share. If the Federal can try and arrange some thing different from this so called NYSC i will be very delighted.

cheers
Re: Serving Your Fathers Land Or What?nysc by ATlien: 3:34pm On Oct 11, 2006
It really has outlived its purpose. I would not mind relocating to Nigeria to put my skills to work, but I just cannot understand why I would have to show the NYSC cert, when I did not even study in Nigeria. I beleive it should be a voluntary, not mandatory. I really do not see how it serves the purpose of national development anymore.
The government should be encouraging Nigerians abroad to come home rather than making things complicated
Re: Serving Your Fathers Land Or What?nysc by boionoz(m): 3:54pm On Oct 11, 2006
Hey Peeps,
This NYSC issue is something that we have to stand up and really talk about. Its purpose has since been defeated, it makes no sense any more. Adults are confined to a dirty and misreable camp 4 3weeks, with no lite and expensive way of life, u have to pay to charge ur fone, if there is even network in ur camp location, u que up to eat, have to wake up early to have ur bath, becos the toilets are in a mess. All sorts of things go on there that can not be talked about here.
As if that is not enough, after 3 weeks u are made to work 4 some sort of firms that use u like a plier and screw driver tool, u do all kind of jobs 4 them and they pay u little moni. Saying that the NYSC authourities asked them to pay 8k5. Notwithstanding were u live and come from.
The authurities refused to take into considerations that there are cities, towns and villages. Cost of living in all these places vary. Take for example, someone posted to PH and another to Benin, these are cities on the extreme sides of livelihood. Cost of livin in these 2 places are not the same, yet the authourities asked your employees to pay a stipend of 8k5.
I think the programme should be scrapped, it has enriched enough ppl, they should go home and rest and end this nightmare they call youth service.
Cheers

(1) (Reply)

Sharing My Nysc Camp Diary / Lagos State Corp Members At Bethlehem Charity & Orphanage Home / Could This Be The 2015 Most Sexiest Corp Members

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.