Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,341 members, 7,811,988 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:03 AM

Choco Skinned Dude Needs Help On Dry Skin - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Choco Skinned Dude Needs Help On Dry Skin (2269 Views)

Lagos Is Unusually Dry This Morning. Ebola Scare? (Pictures) / Nairalander Needs Help To Stop Drug Abuse & Addiction / Hard Palm & Dry Skin (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Choco Skinned Dude Needs Help On Dry Skin by gaby(m): 10:11am On Oct 10, 2006
Dear Fellow Nlers,

I am a choco-skinned dude with a dry skin and have tried all sorts of body creams shower gels and soaps but still not satisfied with the results because if they do not succeed in making my skin darker they just leave my skin dryer, presently i've resorted to using clear essence (soap for washing n moisturizer for my face and the same clear essence facial cleanser with astringent) but still its the same old shiiit,

Could anyone here please prescribe sthing for me that could help and still help me keep my normal skin tone,

Would appreciate your suggestions,

Thanks and God bless y'alll
Re: Choco Skinned Dude Needs Help On Dry Skin by Sista(f): 7:09am On Nov 10, 2006
@Gaby

You using to much junk on your face, give your face a break.

Black people have natural oils and if you overwhelm your natural oils with constant washing and soap, your skin will become dry. Try washing your face at night with a light cleanser, let your face air dry and then apply an overnight moisturizer. In the morning, do not full wash or scrub your face, just clean your mouth area lightly with a non soap cloth and clean the corners of your eyes. Then reapply more moisturizer. What ever you do, do not overwhelm your face with soap and do not scrub your face, only pat wash it.
Re: Choco Skinned Dude Needs Help On Dry Skin by PTBNaija(f): 8:31am On Nov 21, 2006
Well I would recommend an oil that you can use in the shower if you have dry skin, like the Cocoa Butter one from Palmers, and then if need be the St. Ives Dry skin formula lotion, or anything with cocoa butter (again I recomment Palmers).

If you need lotion for your face well then it's a little more complicated. If you are acne prone, stay away from oil-based moisturizers that will clog your pores. But you should never use the same lotion you use on your body on your face as well. An acne fighting moisturizer would do, like an actual lotion (clean and clear has a lot of these types of products along with Neutrogena). If you don't have ance prone skin, cocoa butter! But only put lotion on your face that is SPECIFICALLY meant for your face.
Re: Choco Skinned Dude Needs Help On Dry Skin by Jezgirl(f): 2:38am On Feb 06, 2007
@ Topic,i wil say u go 4 Nivea dry skin cream.Nivea comes in different category but if go buy a Nivea cream which shows dry skin on d label,i fink dat mite work 4 u.N if it doesn't work,den u prolly seek ur GP.
Bless.
Re: Choco Skinned Dude Needs Help On Dry Skin by JosBoy4Lif(m): 2:42am On Feb 06, 2007
I use Nivea.
And the same lotion from head to toe.
Re: Choco Skinned Dude Needs Help On Dry Skin by domwas2(m): 10:02am On Feb 06, 2007
i too tried all sorts but nive is ok
Re: Choco Skinned Dude Needs Help On Dry Skin by Scorpio(f): 6:12am On Feb 07, 2007
PTBNaija:

Well I would recommend an oil that you can use in the shower if you have dry skin, like the Cocoa Butter one from Palmers, and then if need be the St. Ives Dry skin formula lotion, or anything with cocoa butter (again I recomment Palmers).
I concur
@threadstarter, d highlighted is wht you really need!
Re: Choco Skinned Dude Needs Help On Dry Skin by bluenubian(f): 6:38am On Feb 07, 2007
have u tried Eucerin?
Re: Choco Skinned Dude Needs Help On Dry Skin by Tweetie(f): 4:04am On Feb 08, 2007
first, i would say avoid astringents, facial wipes or cleansers that contains alcohol. it's usually too harsh on the face and causes more harm than good. secondly was ur face with dove sensitive bar and use vaseline. it helps! lastly, aint sure if it's just ur face dat's dry or ur whole body. if it's d latter u cld use dove moisturizer for dry skin.
Re: Choco Skinned Dude Needs Help On Dry Skin by Nnenna1(f): 6:27pm On Feb 09, 2007
Avoid medicated and antiseptic soap in the shower. Avoid drying alcohols and deep cleansing astringents. In fact, I would avoid soap (including those claiming to moisturize), that leave you feeling "crisp" after showering. I recommend using Dove or Aveeno. I assume that you either live in Nigeria or aboard so I'd go with dove, since it's the most available type of deep moisturizing soap. Stick with your chosen product. Consistency is important

The right skin lotion depends on thickness and "gooeyness," the more meat, the better the moisture. I would avoid generic and "thin" moisturizers as they will have no effect. I hear that Nivea is good, although it does nothing for me. I have very dry skin myself and I currently use cetaphil lotion, which has the right thickness, is lanolin and frangrance free, and keeps me moisturized for hours. You could also get St. Ives unscented lotion for extra, extra dry skin if you have no access to Cetaphil. Dove lotions are nice too.

The calves and feet tend to be the dryest areas of the body, and if lotion doesn't cut it for me, I go for oil. Baby oil works wonders for the feet and calves and restores color to ashy skin. I also use Nivea oil. Shea butter is cheap and effective as well.

Lotions are most effective when your skin is damp. Be sure to mosturize immediately after you've taken a bath and wiped off excess water with a towel. This will seal in moisture (from bath water) and prevent dryness longer. If you don't mind the hassle, whenever you have a dry moment at any time in the day, "cleanse" with water, wipe with a handkerchief, and apply some pocket lotion.

If you're worried about your face, I would advice you to stop using Clear Essence as it contains alcohols and other drying agents. There's a specific cleanser by clear essence WITHOUT alcohol, so if you must use something to cleanse your face every day, then I'll stick with that. Look for mild, alcohol-free cleansers.

The trick is to avoid using products that strip oil, and moisturize, moisturize, moisturize.

(1) (Reply)

!!! / Is This The Best Antibiotics Drug I Can Get? / Drinking Krest Bitter Lemon Does Not Prevent Pregnancy-dr Eric

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.