Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,107 members, 7,811,117 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:00 AM

Meet Kelvin Okafor: The Artist Whose Drawings Are Almost Like Pictures - Art, Graphics & Video - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / Meet Kelvin Okafor: The Artist Whose Drawings Are Almost Like Pictures (80975 Views)

Amazing Charcoal Drawings By 2poundz / What Lagos Of The Future Could Look Like— Pictures. / More Drawings From My Portfolio (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Meet Kelvin Okafor: The Artist Whose Drawings Are Almost Like Pictures by Jessewizy(m): 10:13am On Oct 11, 2015
One look at Kelvin Okafor’s drawings and all you can see is a man with great talents and a unique eye for details.

Born on November 1, 1985 in London to Nigerian parents from Ibusa, Delta State, Kelvin Okafor has been able to capture the world’s attention with his ‘miracle pencils, paper and charcoal’.

With the kind of miracles Okafor works, the likes of da Vinci, Caravaggio and Jan Vermeer would do more than doff their hats.

Kelvin, who has always been fascinated with creativity, grew up in a tough council estate. Having little money those days, he spent most of his time teaching himself to draw and pushing himself to get better. At about age 15, the reaction of parents and teachers made it clear to him that he was born to draw. After his A-Levels at St Ignatius College, he went for a one year course in Foundation Art & Design at City & Guilds Art School. He then proceeded to Middlesex University where he got a B.A. Honours in Fine Art.

This super-gifted photo-realistic artist can work in various artistic medium such as sculpture, glass, printmaking, painting and casting, but it’s his pencils that form his magic wand.

His form of art is called photo-realism and he charges from as much as N320,000 for a drawing. His early pieces included portraits of Amy Winehouse, Mother Teresa, Lauryn Hill, Nelson Mandela, Beyonce, Daniel Craig, Corinne Bailey Rae, Rihanna and Tinie Tempah.
He draws very lifelike portraits of ordinary people and celebrities using pencil and charcoal with his drawings often mistaken for photographs.

Achievements

Kelvin’s drawings have scooped a number of awards as his unerringly accurate depictions of celebrities have seen him win prizes at the National Open Art Competition and get selected as a leading piece at the Cork Street Gallery Open Exhibition Winter Show.

You would be immensely stupefied with the tones, textures, illusion of colour and emotions Okafor is able to create with just one shade of lead.
Okafor says he sets “unreal” goals for himself but to him, the efforts made are more important than achieving the goal.

129 Likes 20 Shares

Re: Meet Kelvin Okafor: The Artist Whose Drawings Are Almost Like Pictures by Jessewizy(m): 10:15am On Oct 11, 2015
See more photos of his works below:

80 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Meet Kelvin Okafor: The Artist Whose Drawings Are Almost Like Pictures by Jessewizy(m): 10:15am On Oct 11, 2015
More

36 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Meet Kelvin Okafor: The Artist Whose Drawings Are Almost Like Pictures by Jessewizy(m): 10:17am On Oct 11, 2015
His drawing, Adam (see below), won the Catherine Petitgas Visitors’ Choice Prize.

30 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Meet Kelvin Okafor: The Artist Whose Drawings Are Almost Like Pictures by zinachidi(m): 10:25am On Oct 11, 2015
just beautiful,, make i rush go find my talent oo.

35 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Meet Kelvin Okafor: The Artist Whose Drawings Are Almost Like Pictures by homeboy205: 10:25am On Oct 11, 2015
Cool
Re: Meet Kelvin Okafor: The Artist Whose Drawings Are Almost Like Pictures by Johnrake69: 10:31am On Oct 11, 2015
Wow

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Meet Kelvin Okafor: The Artist Whose Drawings Are Almost Like Pictures by Jessewizy(m): 10:32am On Oct 11, 2015
zinachidi:
just beautiful,, make i rush go find my talent oo.
grin

12 Likes

Re: Meet Kelvin Okafor: The Artist Whose Drawings Are Almost Like Pictures by Nobody: 10:42am On Oct 11, 2015
Pure talent... when u have a talent, all u need do is to norture it. Don't go lazying around thinking the talent would grow itself...
Nice one Okafor.

77 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Meet Kelvin Okafor: The Artist Whose Drawings Are Almost Like Pictures by Jessewizy(m): 10:49am On Oct 11, 2015
smiley
Re: Meet Kelvin Okafor: The Artist Whose Drawings Are Almost Like Pictures by Jessewizy(m): 10:49am On Oct 11, 2015
castroevans:
Pure talent... when u have a talent, all u need do is to norture it. Don't go lazying around thinking the talent would grow itself...
Nice one Okafor.
Nice

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Meet Kelvin Okafor: The Artist Whose Drawings Are Almost Like Pictures by espn(m): 10:59am On Oct 11, 2015
If this is true..the guy try..make I no lie..let him draw me too jor.. grin

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meet Kelvin Okafor: The Artist Whose Drawings Are Almost Like Pictures by Jessewizy(m): 11:03am On Oct 11, 2015
espn:
If this is true..the guy try..make I no lie..let him draw me too jor.. grin
Lol

3 Likes

Re: Meet Kelvin Okafor: The Artist Whose Drawings Are Almost Like Pictures by divinehand2003(m): 11:12am On Oct 11, 2015
One of the very best that I have seen so far.

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Meet Kelvin Okafor: The Artist Whose Drawings Are Almost Like Pictures by Mosjentle(m): 11:18am On Oct 11, 2015
Wow#This is real talent##God bless my hustle

2 Likes

Re: Meet Kelvin Okafor: The Artist Whose Drawings Are Almost Like Pictures by Jessewizy(m): 12:33pm On Oct 11, 2015
Mosjentle:
Wow#This is real talent##God bless my hustle
Amen

1 Like

Re: Meet Kelvin Okafor: The Artist Whose Drawings Are Almost Like Pictures by fattbabakay(m): 12:45pm On Oct 11, 2015
Mehnnn...dis is wot I call talent, not someone twisting his leg over his head...

7 Likes

Re: Meet Kelvin Okafor: The Artist Whose Drawings Are Almost Like Pictures by DeHero1: 3:43pm On Oct 11, 2015
Guy, seriously u try o.

...but that Michael Jackson sha... he's not looking happy.
Re: Meet Kelvin Okafor: The Artist Whose Drawings Are Almost Like Pictures by ShakurM(m): 11:23pm On Oct 11, 2015
God created Nigerians on his birthday ! See talent shocked

36 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Meet Kelvin Okafor: The Artist Whose Drawings Are Almost Like Pictures by OCTAVO: 11:37pm On Oct 11, 2015
Looks very very real.

1 Like

Re: Meet Kelvin Okafor: The Artist Whose Drawings Are Almost Like Pictures by brainzdh(m): 1:19am On Oct 12, 2015
Are u effking serious? Damn, this dude is a genius!

6 Likes

Re: Meet Kelvin Okafor: The Artist Whose Drawings Are Almost Like Pictures by prof800(m): 7:52am On Oct 12, 2015
Artistic Wizardry..!!

11 Likes

Re: Meet Kelvin Okafor: The Artist Whose Drawings Are Almost Like Pictures by Irelokeh(m): 9:12am On Oct 12, 2015
Wow,in all my life,I've never...OK I seen great talent,BT this is awesome!!!! Nice work kelvin

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meet Kelvin Okafor: The Artist Whose Drawings Are Almost Like Pictures by Nobody: 10:31am On Oct 12, 2015
wow
Re: Meet Kelvin Okafor: The Artist Whose Drawings Are Almost Like Pictures by fratermathy(m): 9:48pm On Oct 27, 2015
Great talent! He deserves all the accolades.

19 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Meet Kelvin Okafor: The Artist Whose Drawings Are Almost Like Pictures by CR77(f): 9:48pm On Oct 27, 2015
What can i say but nice art work

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Meet Kelvin Okafor: The Artist Whose Drawings Are Almost Like Pictures by damton(m): 9:48pm On Oct 27, 2015
saying that this is amazing is an understatement.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meet Kelvin Okafor: The Artist Whose Drawings Are Almost Like Pictures by veekid(m): 9:48pm On Oct 27, 2015
Free gift of nature
Re: Meet Kelvin Okafor: The Artist Whose Drawings Are Almost Like Pictures by Bonapart(m): 9:48pm On Oct 27, 2015
Biafrans making wave everywhere

49 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meet Kelvin Okafor: The Artist Whose Drawings Are Almost Like Pictures by ShakurM(m): 9:48pm On Oct 27, 2015
shocked shocked, Is my phone screen too clean ni or na real drawing be this!

I respect artists like this not some yeye make up artists tongue

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meet Kelvin Okafor: The Artist Whose Drawings Are Almost Like Pictures by AJOT99(m): 9:49pm On Oct 27, 2015
Ok

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Doks Art: Donald Trump Recognizes Nigerian Artist Who Drew Him / DESIGN & PRINT UR BUSINESS Card | BANNER | FLYER | BROCHURE | LOGO -CLICK HERE / The Kasope Attracts Mercedes Benz Attention With His Photoshoot

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.