Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,328 members, 7,819,122 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:37 AM

Breast Cancer Stories: Letter To Grammy - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Breast Cancer Stories: Letter To Grammy (258 Views)

24-Year-Old Lady Who Survived Breast Cancer Shares Her Story & Photos / Cancer Almost Blinded A Woman In Kano (Disturbing Photos) / 8-year-old American Girl Becomes Youngest Breast Cancer Patient (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Breast Cancer Stories: Letter To Grammy by Psoul(m): 3:19pm On Oct 12, 2015
Dear Grammy,

When I was a child, you were a constant and beautiful force in my life. Days spent with you were precious and imagination-filled. Your love for reading, literature, and the arts have been one of the major factors that have inspired my life’s work.

If you were here today, I would talk to you about many things. I know you suffered. I felt it in my bones as a child, but didn’t really know how to respond.

I’ll never forget the day I realized you had only one breast. I’m guessing I was four or five-years-old — that day I saw how the doctors had scarred and left you bare.

My heart throbbed.

“Mom, what happened to Grammy?” I asked one day.

“What do you mean Jen?”

“You know, she only has one of those,” I pointed to my Mom’s chest. “What happened to her?”

“Oh…well she had to have it removed. Her doctor found a lump and removed it to keep her safe.”

I didn’t completely understand, but it pained me to know you had suffered.

I wish I could have comforted you when you found the lump — when you experienced the pain of going under the knife.

Born in 1908, by the time I was an adult you were already struggling with dementia. Had you been able to comprehend and answer, there were so many questions I would have asked.

I wonder if you felt ashamed the first time your husband saw you with only one breast?

Did you think of yourself as less of a woman?

Did you feel supported?

I remember your blue, blue eyes and kind smile. Your beautiful hands.

Your love for me was always so tangible. I never questioned your adoration.

I remember the last time I saw you when you were in your 90s. I arrived just in time to hold your hand into the early morning hours — before you took your last breath. With all my being, I tried to pour loving energy into your being, knowing following your death you would find wholeness again.

Inside, I can still connect deeply with the child I once was — and my desire to protect you after I discovered your wound.

Love Jen

(1) (Reply)

Gain Muscle Fast With A Nitric Oxide Booster! / Summer Hair Goes Ultra Glam With Goldwell Style / Cossack Distributors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.