Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,194 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:23 AM

My Corolla Hatchback Vvt-i T3 Dries Engine Oil - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Corolla Hatchback Vvt-i T3 Dries Engine Oil (3687 Views)

My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel / Which Is Cheaper & Easier To Maintain Btw Toyota Corolla Hatchback & Pegeuot307 / What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Corolla Hatchback Vvt-i T3 Dries Engine Oil by kingi777: 11:39pm On Oct 13, 2015
I just bought this car from Lagos. We serviced it with visco 2000 then journeyed to Abuja, to our surprise, the oil got dried up when we checked the next morning. Topped it with another gallon, it got reduced bellow half after going to Kaduna and back. I was advised to change to Mobil of which I did with the type they sale #3000, again it dried up as I went to Zaria and came back. I was also told to use Mobil 1, which I used (5w30), to my surprise I again went to Kaduna and came, checked d oil this morning, I noticed d oil is below half mark on the dip stick. I called some mechanics, so said I have to buy a new engine, some said I have to ring the engine. This car is direct tokumbo with 153,000 millage. The sound and everything about the car is superb including fuel economy. Can some one help me with advice? I travelled a lot for my consultancy work and my PG program and enjoying this car but for the oil consumption. Note, no smoke is emitting and the car including engine look new.

Re: My Corolla Hatchback Vvt-i T3 Dries Engine Oil by Nobody: 12:59am On Oct 14, 2015
Where can the oil be disappearing to?

If there's no leakage, then it definitely is being burnt-off & there must be smoke.
Is your check light on?
Re: My Corolla Hatchback Vvt-i T3 Dries Engine Oil by Ricmayak1: 6:03am On Oct 14, 2015
You drive aggressively right? If so, change to a slightly higher viscosity oil. This issue has been a factory issue that has to do with high engine oil consumption on some toyotas. It was even a recall if I remember well.
Re: My Corolla Hatchback Vvt-i T3 Dries Engine Oil by kingi777: 6:23am On Oct 14, 2015
The check light is on, but there's no leakage and smoke. I drive aggressively with AC. I wana try total quartz 3000 or 4000 (20w50) oil this morning and watch again. Thanks brothers for your concern and comment.

1 Like

Re: My Corolla Hatchback Vvt-i T3 Dries Engine Oil by mayor2013: 9:36am On Oct 14, 2015
kingi777:
I just bought this car from Lagos. We serviced it with visco 2000 then journeyed to Abuja, to our surprise, the oil got dried up when we checked the next morning. Topped it with another gallon, it got reduced bellow half after going to Kaduna and back. I was advised to change to Mobil of which I did with the type they sale #3000, again it dried up as I went to Zaria and came back. I was also told to use Mobil 1, which I used (5w30), to my surprise I again went to Kaduna and came, checked d oil this morning, I noticed d oil is below half mark on the dip stick. I called some mechanics, so said I have to buy a new engine, some said I have to ring the engine. This car is direct tokumbo with 153,000 millage. The sound and everything about the car is superb including fuel economy. Can some one help me with advice? I travelled a lot for my consultancy work and my PG program and enjoying this car but for the oil consumption. Note, no smoke is emitting and the car including engine look new.

You oil sucking demon I ban you in the life of this corolla cheesy. @ op use 10w30. If that doesn't work. Prepare!!!!
Re: My Corolla Hatchback Vvt-i T3 Dries Engine Oil by femicousim: 10:29am On Oct 14, 2015
save that the car revs/moves well, i could have said you should do a compression test, so it can give an idea as to how bad the rings are, perhaps you should even try a monograde oil and see if there's a difference

i still believe there's a leak somewhere, before you consider changing engine or ringing, i rather you start with checking seals & gaskets and eventual replacement, oil might be leaking from an obscure place, say the rear main seal for example, with that the transmission and flywheel may have to be removed

if oil leak is not visible, use a white talcum powder, the leaking oil will show as a dark area on the white powder. this procedure is done after degreasing the engine or @ least steam wash, so the engine is clean

some technicians also add fluorescent dye to clean oil, run the engine, then use a black light around the engine to detect leak

i even learnt from a senior colleague that, a blocked PCV caused oil shortage with no visible trace of leak on a toyota camry, but 1 of my bosses disagrees with him, saying it would only cause oil splashing not drying
Re: My Corolla Hatchback Vvt-i T3 Dries Engine Oil by Piyke: 11:12am On Oct 14, 2015
Hi OP, to provide more content, it would be good to reference the hi and low marks on the deep stick when discussing oil levels. This will help readers better. Also it's good to know the distance covered as against level of oil depletion. As you may know some degree of oil consumption is normal e.g. 1quart per 1000miles on some Honda Accords.
In either case yours does sound abnormal. In the meantime you can still go under the vehicle to make sure there are no leaks. It may be possible to have a leak that doesn't make it to drops on the floor. It just simply gets burnt up by the hot surface of the engine. Do you have any burning oil smell from the engine?
Re: My Corolla Hatchback Vvt-i T3 Dries Engine Oil by Piyke: 11:15am On Oct 14, 2015
Hope you've checked your radiator

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Corolla Hatchback Vvt-i T3 Dries Engine Oil by kingreign(m): 6:48am On Oct 15, 2015
kingi777:

save yourself the stress, look no more prepare to change engine. However, if your within Abuja and environs, call Mike 07034581213
Re: My Corolla Hatchback Vvt-i T3 Dries Engine Oil by kingi777: 11:18am On Oct 15, 2015
Thank you great nairalanders for your comments and advice. I like this forum because of great things I have learnt from great minds here. I finally used 20W50 with whiz oil treatment which made it thicker. I covered about 140 miles yesterday, checked the engine oil this morning and it got shortened a little bit below the upper mark gauge. When I fired the engine, it emitted black smoke. Mechanic said i have to change engine, another said it was because of mixture of different oil but should monitor it for like a week to see if the black smoke would continue after firing. I think I'm convinced now that the engine has ring issues. Though sounds fine, good aerodynamics, great speed with AC on the road. Still enjoying the ride till I resolve the oil issue or change the engine. God bless you all.

1 Like

Re: My Corolla Hatchback Vvt-i T3 Dries Engine Oil by femicousim: 1:21pm On Oct 18, 2015
but black smoke means you're burning fuel NOT oil?!

3 Likes

Re: My Corolla Hatchback Vvt-i T3 Dries Engine Oil by kingi777: 1:28pm On Oct 19, 2015
Really? How is the fuel burnt?
Re: My Corolla Hatchback Vvt-i T3 Dries Engine Oil by Piyke: 11:23pm On Oct 19, 2015
kingi777:
Really? How is the fuel burnt?

Black smoke means the engine is running rich i.e. the ratio of fuel in the air-fuel mix is increased beyond the stoic ratio.
Re: My Corolla Hatchback Vvt-i T3 Dries Engine Oil by Ladipodeal: 11:35pm On Oct 19, 2015
Was to buy toyota corolla 97 to 2002 years back and found online that some of them consume oil due to factory defect. Some highlanders also consume. Not noticeable when you drive within city but pronounced when you drive on Highway.
Don't change the engine yet... Keep topping up whenever you travel
Re: My Corolla Hatchback Vvt-i T3 Dries Engine Oil by ruby360: 10:19pm On Oct 20, 2015
Just change the engine - find a good mechanic to do that.
Re: My Corolla Hatchback Vvt-i T3 Dries Engine Oil by kingi777: 11:17am On Oct 24, 2015
Testimony: finally, a competent Mechanic changed the engine rings with original ones. I have covered more than 500 miles within town and high way yet no more oil shortage. I'm happy because I thought the engine won't be OK again. I actually wanted to buy a new engine but was discouraged by a dealer as the car is as good as new one. He only advised I should change rings. I still believe there are good and sincere mechanics in Nigeria. The engine sounds fine, speeds and maintains its 42 mpg of fuel consumption. Really enjoying this ride.
Car experts in the house, pls what grade of oil can I maintain now the engine is ringed? For now, mechanic used Visco 2000.
Re: My Corolla Hatchback Vvt-i T3 Dries Engine Oil by routersnswitch: 12:31pm On Oct 24, 2015
Use the recommended oil for the engine. It should be written on the cover where you pour oil into the engine.
Re: My Corolla Hatchback Vvt-i T3 Dries Engine Oil by Nobody: 5:59pm On Oct 24, 2015
femicousim:
save that the car revs/moves well, i could have said you should do a compression test, so it can give an idea as to how bad the rings are, perhaps you should even try a monograde oil and see if there's a difference

i still believe there's a leak somewhere, before you consider changing engine or ringing, i rather you start with checking seals & gaskets and eventual replacement, oil might be leaking from an obscure place, say the rear main seal for example, with that the transmission and flywheel may have to be removed

if oil leak is not visible, use a white talcum powder, the leaking oil will show as a dark area on the white powder. this procedure is done after degreasing the engine or @ least steam wash, so the engine is clean

some technicians also add fluorescent dye to clean oil, run the engine, then use a black light around the engine to detect leak

i even l earnt from a senior colleague that, a blocked PCV caused oil shortage with no visible trace of leak on a toyota camry, but 1 of my bosses disagrees with him, saying it would only cause oil splashing not drying

Your senior colleague is right. But OP is loosing cast amounts of oil so this one strong small.
Re: My Corolla Hatchback Vvt-i T3 Dries Engine Oil by Nobody: 6:00pm On Oct 24, 2015
routersnswitch:
Use the recommended oil for the engine. It should be written on the cover where you pour oil into the engine.

And follow a proper break in process so the rings can bed properly.
Re: My Corolla Hatchback Vvt-i T3 Dries Engine Oil by kingi777: 7:04pm On Oct 24, 2015
Bros,how do you mean by 'break in process'?
Re: My Corolla Hatchback Vvt-i T3 Dries Engine Oil by Denn(m): 6:19am On Oct 25, 2015
I know CityNg has been on this thread... Could perceive the scent...

The Ibadan General

Welcome sir
Re: My Corolla Hatchback Vvt-i T3 Dries Engine Oil by mistashevy: 11:53am On Jun 13, 2017
please i think i need the contact of the mechanic that ring the engine for you am having similar problem with my toyota matrix

(1) (Reply)

How Do I Buy A Car It’s My First Time! / Top 10 All-time Best-selling Cars In Nigeria / Caring For Your Car's Maf, And The Fix

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.