Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,279 members, 7,818,936 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:39 AM

'93 Days': When Hollywood Met Nollywood Starring US Actor Danny Glover... - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / '93 Days': When Hollywood Met Nollywood Starring US Actor Danny Glover... (835 Views)

Gone Are The Days.. When Men Were Boys... Pictures Included / Back In The Days When Men Were Men (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

'93 Days': When Hollywood Met Nollywood Starring US Actor Danny Glover... by evesdon4u: 11:42am On Oct 14, 2015
One disease, one continent, one historic Ebola defeat. Adeola Akinremi writes that 93 Days, a new movie co-sponsored by the United Bank for Africa and other partners seeks to preserve the story of how Nigeria defeated the virulent Ebola disease in just ninety three days
The brilliance of the afternoon sun was going down. It was around 6pm on July 25, 2014. An eclipse. The movie began, but only in our minds. Panic button has been pressed. The cell phones began to trip ceaselessly in many hands around the country. A Liberian-American carrying the Ebola Virus Disease had died on the Nigerian soil. His name would be known as Patrick Sawyer. His windy journey to Nigeria in the summer of last year first brought the global attention to Nigeria on Ebola Virus Disease. From the cosmopolitan city of Lagos to the laidback capital city of Abuja through the mangrove of Port Harcourt, the Ebola wind blew clearing everything in its path. The country lost a prominent doctor, Stella Ameyo Adadevoh, who confronted the disease early with her own life. Others died too. Then silence—both for the departed and the country.
With the outbreak, a team of staff concerned with providing relief in terms of cash and kind was assembled on Broad Street in Lagos, by the United Bank for Africa (UBA), to follow the Ebola trail from Nigeria to Liberia. It paid off. The virulent disease stopped. The UBA’s effort plus that of other partners--especially the dedication of medical workers at the First Consultant Hospital in Lagos--to stop the virus has recently brought to Nigeria, a renowned actor from Hollywood, Danny Glover, to star in 93 Days, a rare story of remembrance.
Written by Paul S. Rowlston and directed by Steve Gukas, the movie which is currently filming in Lagos features a star-studded cast of Hollywood and Nollywood actors and actresses, including Tim Reid, Bimbo Akintola, Keppy Ekpenyong Bassey, Gideon Okeke, Somkele Iyamah and many others.
From the script, the movie tells the story of the victory over the Ebola scourge that would have ravaged the country in 2014, but for the collective efforts of some brave institutions and individuals. It pays tribute to the late Dr. Ameyo Adadevoh who died from contracting the virus while she was trying to save others.
In endorsing the movie, the UBA’s Head of Marketing and Corporate Relations, Charles Aigbe, says: “UBA is supporting the making of the movie because what happened in Nigeria is a positive story of courage, resilience, selflessness, teamwork and collaboration that must be told for posterity”.
Mr. Aigbe reiterated UBA’s commitment to Ebola relief saying “we have operations in 19 African countries including Guinea, Sierra Leone and Liberia, the three worst-hit countries. During the Ebola crisis, we remained open for business and never for once closed shop on account of the scourge. We also donated over $1million to Ebola relief measures in Africa.”
Explaining the rationale behind the movie, Gukas, the movie director says: “Our aim is to create a feature film that will resonate with many people across the world, particularly in Nigeria and its sub-region. At its core, 93 Days is a tale of common humanity and just how much we can achieve when we stand united.”
And for Akintola, the fact that Nigerians acted as one when faced with the Ebola virus changed the negative narrative about the country.
“Nigerians acted as one. There was nothing about you being from different ethnicity or different political party, it was about Nigerians just standing up and doing this incredible thing for Nigeria. The doctors at First Consult (hospital) didn't ask for an Ebola patient. They weren't expecting it. But they stood up to the plate when it turned out the patient had Ebola. No one run away. That is courage in the face of death," Akintola says.
In an interview, she says playing the late Stella Adadevoh in the 93 Days has been her most challenging role as an actress.
“Before now, people ask me which is my most difficult character and I respond that every role I have played is challenging but I must confess that playing Stella is a big role as her shoes are large to fill. I have had to meet with people who know her, I have met with her son and I have read everything I can about her and I feel really challenged with this role.’ ‘Stella Adadevoh was an incredible personality who deserves to be celebrated and I am glad to be given the opportunity to be among the team telling the world the Ebola story,” she explains.

Source: http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/93-days-in-nollywood/220501/

(1) (Reply)

Transgender Man That Gave Birth To Beautiful Daughter( pic ) / The Dos And Donts In Setting Your 2016 Goals / Boy In Enugu Killed Step Mom With An Axe On New Year's Day

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.