Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,239 members, 7,818,821 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:47 AM

What Kind Of Food Can One Give An Under-weight Picky Eater Toddler? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Kind Of Food Can One Give An Under-weight Picky Eater Toddler? (5936 Views)

Man Shares Photos Of Food His Wife Cooked For Their First Wedding Anniversary / How Do I Deal With 'picky' Family Members / Photo Of Food Items Bought For A Bride's Family (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Kind Of Food Can One Give An Under-weight Picky Eater Toddler? by twizzie: 12:57pm On Oct 14, 2015
My toddler is almost 30 months and a very picky eater... He is under weight as he is like in the 10th percentile in weight and height. He practically wants to live on fluids (Mostly milk) and sometimes cereal... He likes fries and pastries too but we all know that isn't really healthy... We have tried so many things with little result... He is presently on Well Baby Multivitamins...
Suggestions on fattening foods and recipes will help please.
Thanks!
Re: What Kind Of Food Can One Give An Under-weight Picky Eater Toddler? by mrsoje(f): 2:51pm On Oct 14, 2015
You have to be persistent, also try using Haliborange instead of the wellbaby multivitamins. Stop offering him the food he wants instead look for other ways to prepare his food like boiling the potatoes, plantain, yam instead of frying, fruits, cereal, soya, fresh fruits etc. he will outgrow it, i understand how you feel my dd is like that too. you can get a lot of information from this forum too https://www.nairaland.com/971395/new-born-babies-u-new/348

twizzie:
My toddler is almost 30 months and a very picky eater... He is under weight as he is like in the 10th percentile in weight and height. He practically wants to live on fluids (Mostly milk) and sometimes cereal... He likes fries and pastries too but we all know that isn't really healthy... We have tried so many things with little result... He is presently on Well Baby Multivitamins...
Thanks!
Re: What Kind Of Food Can One Give An Under-weight Picky Eater Toddler? by Tobermom: 3:32pm On Oct 14, 2015
Someone suggested pharmaton kiddi to me when my son who was 3yrs plus then was acting up. They told me he would grow such an appetite, he would eat like a horse. Well... It didnt exactly work for me. You might want to try that.
Also, what milk is he on? I hear aptamil is quite fattening. I have a friend that had to resort to that when her son didnt want to eat anything.
These children sef! I tell myself its a phase cos when i had my son he could feed for africa, infact he helped me shed my babyweight real quick, but now hes funny and will decide he wont eat bfast. Hed rather snack on popcorn. He eats things like amala (solids) pretty well. So i console myself with that
Dont beat yourself too hard on the issue. Do everything you can, but know its just a phase
Re: What Kind Of Food Can One Give An Under-weight Picky Eater Toddler? by Captainswag225(m): 3:42pm On Oct 14, 2015
twizzie:
Thanks!
u said ur little boy is underweight ryt? So let him have his favourite food which is the fries.... It will help him gain weight. jux make sure u drain the oil a little before he eats whatever fried food u bought for him...... Fattening foods that i know are fried egg, fried yam, fresh milk etc.

1 Like

Re: What Kind Of Food Can One Give An Under-weight Picky Eater Toddler? by babythug(f): 4:20pm On Oct 14, 2015
Try timing/spacing his meals. Every 3 hours at first.

Give him as many as six(for a start) meals between 7am and 7pm.

Make it small quantity and fuss free.

Once he's eaten at least half of whatever is in the plate, if he starts acting up* take the plate away till the next time round.

Keep at offering variety of meals to him. You just have to keep at it. fry potatoes today, boil the next day, indomie with corned beef, indomie with veggies, jollof rice today, white rice tomorrow with titus fish

Reduce/cut off the juice, stick with milo once in the morning and once in the evening.

Replace juice with water for his meals.

Offer no snacks between meals it will help increase his appetite at meal times

Good luck and God be with you!!!!
Re: What Kind Of Food Can One Give An Under-weight Picky Eater Toddler? by twizzie: 4:24pm On Oct 14, 2015
Thanks.. Will check the thread out..
mrsoje:
You have to be persistent, also try using Haliborange instead of the wellbaby multivitamins. Stop offering him the food he wants instead look for other ways to prepare his food like boiling the potatoes, plantain, yam instead of frying, fruits, cereal, soya, fresh fruits etc. he will outgrow it, i understand how you feel my dd is like that too. you can get a lot of information from this forum too https://www.nairaland.com/971395/new-born-babies-u-new/348

Re: What Kind Of Food Can One Give An Under-weight Picky Eater Toddler? by twizzie: 4:28pm On Oct 14, 2015
Really hard not to beat oneself.. He has always been picky as a baby...His baby bro is almost fatter than him...Yes, Pharmaton did not work either..Will try the Aptamil...My nephew was on that and he was and still a chubby boy. Meal time is always war..Surprisingly though, his lunch pack is usually empty when he comes back from School...Thanks all the same!
Tobermom:
Someone suggested pharmaton kiddi to me when my son who was 3yrs plus then was acting up. They told me he would grow such an appetite, he would eat like a horse. Well... It didnt exactly work for me. You might want to try that.
Also, what milk is he on? I hear aptamil is quite fattening. I have a friend that had to resort to that when her son didnt want to eat anything.
These children sef! I tell myself its a phase cos when i had my son he could feed for africa, infact he helped me shed my babyweight real quick, but now hes funny and will decide he wont eat bfast. Hed rather snack on popcorn. He eats things like amala (solids) pretty well. So i console myself with that
Dont beat yourself too hard on the issue. Do everything you can, but know its just a phase
Re: What Kind Of Food Can One Give An Under-weight Picky Eater Toddler? by babythug(f): 4:32pm On Oct 14, 2015
twizzie:
Really hard not to beat oneself.. He has always been picky as a baby...His baby bro is almost fatter than him...Yes, Pharmaton did not work either..Will try the Aptamil...My nephew was on that and he was and still a chubby boy. Meal time is always war..Surprisingly though, his lunch pack is usually empty when he comes back from School...Thanks all the same!

He may enjoy eating only when other children are around.

What kind of meals do you pack for his lunch?

Can you try giving him the same at home?
Re: What Kind Of Food Can One Give An Under-weight Picky Eater Toddler? by twizzie: 4:34pm On Oct 14, 2015
Thanks...He drinks water a lot so at least that is not an issue..Not so fussy about juice either...Six meal though for a working mom in this Lagos? Except one is a super mum o...Will keep at it and Amen to God be with me..Thanks again!
babythug:
Try timing/spacing his meals. Every 3 hours at first.

Give him as many as six(for a start) meals between 7am and 7pm.

Make it small quantity and fuss free.

Once he's eaten at least half of whatever is in the plate, if he starts acting up* take the plate away till the next time round.

Keep at offering variety of meals to him. You just have to keep at it. fry potatoes today, boil the next day, indomie with corned beef, indomie with veggies, jollof rice today, white rice tomorrow with titus fish

Reduce/cut off the juice, stick with milo once in the morning and once in the evening.

Replace juice with water for his meals.

Offer no snacks between meals it will help increase his appetite at meal times

Good luck and God be with you!!!!
Re: What Kind Of Food Can One Give An Under-weight Picky Eater Toddler? by babythug(f): 4:37pm On Oct 14, 2015
twizzie:
Thanks...He drinks water a lot so at least that is not an issue..Not so fussy about juice either...Six meal though for a working mom in this Lagos? Except one is a super mum o...Will keep at it and Amen to God be with me..Thanks again!

For some reason i assumed you were a stay at home mum!!! Please forgive me grin

Maybe at the weekends? I know regimens help children eat better generally
Re: What Kind Of Food Can One Give An Under-weight Picky Eater Toddler? by twizzie: 4:38pm On Oct 14, 2015
same ol same ol... pancakes, fries (rolls eyes), rice, indomie, etc etc... I even packed Eba for him the independence week cos they asked them to bring native food...My LO supposedly cleared the thing! Hian, that's usually WW3 meal..
Maybe I should start inviting his classmates over to dinner..lol...
babythug:

He may enjoy eating only when other children are around.

What kind of meals do you pack for his lunch?

Can you try giving him the same at home?

1 Like

Re: What Kind Of Food Can One Give An Under-weight Picky Eater Toddler? by babythug(f): 4:44pm On Oct 14, 2015
twizzie:
same ol same ol... pancakes, fries (rolls eyes), rice, indomie, etc etc... I even packed Eba for him the independence week cos they asked them to bring native food...My LO supposedly cleared the thing! Hian, that's usually WW3 meal..
Maybe I should start inviting his classmates over to dinner..lol...

LOL if he will eat please let's arrange that cheesy

Use the bowl/plate he uses in school. Maybe that will help.

Then we have to try and simulate school setting as in proper sit at table to eat type of parole. No tv if possible.

rewards- i will give you yoghurt if you finish your food.
Re: What Kind Of Food Can One Give An Under-weight Picky Eater Toddler? by octopusfreaky(f): 3:55am On Oct 15, 2015
try,,millet and sorghum or amala with ewedu,,mennnnnnnnn it works wonderfully well..
Re: What Kind Of Food Can One Give An Under-weight Picky Eater Toddler? by twizzie: 3:55pm On Oct 16, 2015
Thanks...lolz...
babythug:

LOL if he will eat please let's arrange that cheesy

Use the bowl/plate he uses in school. Maybe that will help.

Then we have to try and simulate school setting as in proper sit at table to eat type of parole. No tv if possible.

rewards- i will give you yoghurt if you finish your food.
Re: What Kind Of Food Can One Give An Under-weight Picky Eater Toddler? by twizzie: 3:55pm On Oct 16, 2015
Thanks..Are those fattening?
octopusfreaky:
try,,millet and sorghum or amala with ewedu,,mennnnnnnnn it works wonderfully well..
Re: What Kind Of Food Can One Give An Under-weight Picky Eater Toddler? by octopusfreaky(f): 5:14pm On Oct 16, 2015
twizzie:
Thanks..Are those fattening?
yes,,esp millet and sorghum.
Re: What Kind Of Food Can One Give An Under-weight Picky Eater Toddler? by NwabuezeWini: 5:33pm On Oct 16, 2015
mrsoje:

Buy similac milk is very good and fattening. They av it from 0 to 12months and another one from 1 to 3yrs. Ur child will add weight if he take it. U can be giving him multivitamins too
Re: What Kind Of Food Can One Give An Under-weight Picky Eater Toddler? by ibkkk(f): 12:29am On Oct 17, 2015
You may try "Thrive Signature", it's so good for under weight kids... U can check for more info on Google.
Re: What Kind Of Food Can One Give An Under-weight Picky Eater Toddler? by soopamom: 8:56am On Oct 17, 2015
twizzie:
Thanks!
Enfagrow milk is good. Thrive signature also claims to be, I say claims because I don't know of anyone with actual results.Peanut butter, coconut milk, avocadoes, and of course the popular ogi baba pap are good ways to put some flesh on a kid. My son is almost two and I noticed he got chubbier after I incorporated some of these in his meals. He wasn't a picky eater or underweight to begin with though
Re: What Kind Of Food Can One Give An Under-weight Picky Eater Toddler? by Nobody: 11:30am On Oct 17, 2015
You may want to consider that you are creating unnecessary competition between both brothers or even between your son and other peoples children.

All these comments about chubby kids. Children are different please treat them as such. As long as your son is healthy and he gets a good mix of different meals its fine. At least he finishes whatever you give him for lunch and he drinks lots of water I don't see a problem.
Why the need to 'fatten him' he's not sick
Re: What Kind Of Food Can One Give An Under-weight Picky Eater Toddler? by Tobermom: 1:13pm On Oct 17, 2015
salsera:
You may want to consider that you are creating unnecessary competition between both brothers or even between your son and other peoples children.

All these comments about chubby kids. Children are different please treat them as such. As long as your son is healthy and he gets a good mix of different meals its fine. At least he finishes whatever you give him for lunch and he drinks lots of water I don't see a problem.
Why the need to 'fatten him' he's not sick
While i kinda understand what youre trying to say, i dont think it really applies to the OP. The issue at hand is that the baby is underweight, not that she wants him to be a chubby kid. I didnt see any comparison there unless maybe i now need glasses ( lol). Its hard to tell any mum that she should take it in good faith, we must still worry sha....yea being healthy is the crux of the matter and children are different, but i dont see anything wrong with being concerned that your child isnt getting what you think they should be getting
Re: What Kind Of Food Can One Give An Under-weight Picky Eater Toddler? by Dentale(m): 12:21am On Oct 18, 2015
OP I have a toddler too. About same age as urs. Please for now, don't place too much emphasis on what's healthy or not. Eating fries won't make him obese if he grows up to be an active child. It won't clog his young arteries either. I've seen fellow parents unintentionally underfeeding their kids cos they were counting good and bad calories. Let him eat cake if he likes it. Let him sit at the table when u or other family members are eating. It may help to get him curious and taste more options. All the best
Re: What Kind Of Food Can One Give An Under-weight Picky Eater Toddler? by Nobody: 1:49pm On Oct 18, 2015
Tobermom:

While i kinda understand what youre trying to say, i dont think it really applies to the OP. The issue at hand is that the baby is underweight, not that she wants him to be a chubby kid. I didnt see any comparison there unless maybe i now need glasses ( lol). Its hard to tell any mum that she should take it in good faith, we must still worry sha....yea being healthy is the crux of the matter and children are different, but i dont see anything wrong with being concerned that your child isnt getting what you think they should be getting

I made my comments based on what the OP and a few others said. OP said her son was in the tenth percentile for weight for his age not that he's underweight. That's a bit like me being bothered that my BMI is 18.5 for a healthy BMI range of 18-25. I'm not sick neither do I eat unhealthy so why would I fret.
She also mentioned that his younger brother is almost as fat as him, just because one child is older doesn't the same child should be bigger in weight.

In her initial post it seemed as if her son was not eating beyond fries but even she later on admitted he does eat whatever she put in his lunchbox and by her own admission her son finishes the food. He just doesn't like eating those same meals at home.

My point is that there was really nothing to worry about.
Many times mothers worry based on comparison of their kids to other kids of the same age. That's what I mean by competition.
Re: What Kind Of Food Can One Give An Under-weight Picky Eater Toddler? by Ewuro4: 8:14pm On Oct 18, 2015
twizzie:
Thanks!

All normal. And you're lucky he likes some food so make healthier version of them wink

Fries aren't bad, you may as well make homemade fries and some nuggets to go with that.

Read Jessica Seinfield's 'Deceptively Delicious' book and see how pastries are transformed into wholesome protein. It's worth the try.

In addition to multivitamins , add Pediasure (meal replacement) to his meals, it can be consumed alone as its fortified and considered a meal on its own. All my kids prefer this to whole milk for midday & bedtime snack.

Good luck mom.
Re: What Kind Of Food Can One Give An Under-weight Picky Eater Toddler? by twizzie: 10:08am On Oct 19, 2015
Thanks for your contribution..But like Tobermum has said...This is in no way a competition or comparison with anybody... Why will I even want to? When an almost three year old boy is weighing 11kg, shouldn't a mum be worried? As regards meals packed to school, I said he 'supposedly' finishes... I just trust the teachers that he actually does finish the meals... I hope you don't have a picky eater as a child one day, then you'd know how almost impossible it is not to worry
salsera:

I made my comments based on what the OP and a few others said. OP said her son was in the tenth percentile for weight for his age not that he's underweight. That's a bit like me being bothered that my BMI is 18.5 for a healthy BMI range of 18-25. I'm not sick neither do I eat unhealthy so why would I fret.
She also mentioned that his younger brother is almost as fat as him, just because one child is older doesn't the same child should be bigger in weight.

In her initial post it seemed as if her son was not eating beyond fries but even she later on admitted he does eat whatever she put in his lunchbox and by her own admission her son finishes the food. He just doesn't like eating those same meals at home.

My point is that there was really nothing to worry about.
Many times mothers worry based on comparison of their kids to other kids of the same age. That's what I mean by competition.

(1) (Reply)

Using First Names For Husband & Wife (Father & Mother) in the Family? / Man Storms Out Of Dowry Negotiations Crying Extortion / Cancer Is Endangering The Life Of My Mother. Help!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.