Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,102 members, 7,814,871 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 09:30 PM

3 Great Quotes From A Great Scientist - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 3 Great Quotes From A Great Scientist (2196 Views)

Bible Verses And Quotes To Encourage You In Trying Times / Anti-Christ Quotes from the Quaran / Scientist Gerald Schroeder Demonstrates That God Has Been Proved By Science. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

3 Great Quotes From A Great Scientist by Richirich713: 6:16pm On Oct 14, 2015
Sir Isaac Newton

Physicist, Mathematician, Astronomer, and perhaps the greatest and most influential scientist to ever live.

"This most beautiful system of the sun, planets, and comets, could only proceed from the counsel and dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being. This Being governs all things, not as the soul of the world, but as Lord over all; and on account of His dominion He is wont to be called Lord God.”

“From His true dominion it follows that the true God is a living, intelligent, and powerful Being; and from His other perfections, that He is supreme, or most perfect. He is eternal and infinite, omnipotent and omniscient; that is, His duration reaches from eternity to eternity; His presence from infinity to infinity; He governs all things, knows all things that are or can be done.”

“Atheism is so senseless. When I look at the solar system, I see the earth at the right distance from the sun to receive the proper amounts of heat and light. This did not happen by chance.” “I have a fundamental belief in the Bible as the Word of God, written by men who were inspired. I study the Bible daily"

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 3 Great Quotes From A Great Scientist by ammyluv2002(f): 6:20pm On Oct 14, 2015
Richirich713:

“Atheism is so senseless. When I look at the solar system, I see the earth at the right distance from the sun to receive the proper amounts of heat and light. This did not happen by chance.” “I have a fundamental belief in the Bible as the Word of God, written by men who were inspired. I study the Bible daily"
Best quote ever

2 Likes

Re: 3 Great Quotes From A Great Scientist by Richirich713: 6:44pm On Oct 14, 2015
Newton- "Opposition to godliness is atheism in profession and idolatry in practice. Atheism is so senseless and odious to mankind that it never had many professors"

Maybe atheists are going to say this man never used his mind.

3 Likes

Re: 3 Great Quotes From A Great Scientist by respect80(m): 6:51pm On Oct 14, 2015
Richirich713:

Maybe atheists are going to say this man never used his mind.

If Ar hear.
If you use your mind more than Newton then...
Well atheist can't dare to say that.

1 Like

Re: 3 Great Quotes From A Great Scientist by HCpaul(m): 10:21pm On Oct 14, 2015
Great.

2 Likes

Re: 3 Great Quotes From A Great Scientist by winner01(m): 8:28am On Oct 15, 2015
Science actually has nothing to offer atheism, they have only chosen to use it as a facade to validate their beliefs and stay relevant..

"I can see how it might be possible for a man to look down upon the earth and be an atheist, but I cannot conceive how a man could look up into the heavens and say there is no God." - Abraham Lincoln

www.nairaland.com/2499498/quotes-famous-men-bible

2 Likes

Re: 3 Great Quotes From A Great Scientist by Jeromejnr(m): 10:41am On Oct 15, 2015
Amazingly, You will hardly see Atheists on this type of threads.

They just love their delusion.

Is this not a scientists quote? But no they will always want to pick the part that suits them and leave out the rest so they could give themselves an excuse to continue in their life of sin.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 3 Great Quotes From A Great Scientist by winner01(m): 12:06pm On Oct 16, 2015
Trying to imagine myself spending so much time refuting the existence of santa because almost every child believes he exists, my kid brother has been anticipating christmas.

1 Like

Re: 3 Great Quotes From A Great Scientist by Nobody: 3:32pm On Oct 16, 2015
Richirich713:

Sir Isaac Newton

Physicist, Mathematician, Astronomer, and perhaps the greatest and most influential scientist to ever live.

"This most beautiful system of the sun, planets, and comets, could only proceed from the counsel and dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being. This Being governs all things, not as the soul of the world, but as Lord over all; and on account of His dominion He is wont to be called Lord God.”

“From His true dominion it follows that the true God is a living, intelligent, and powerful Being; and from His other perfections, that He is supreme, or most perfect. He is eternal and infinite, omnipotent and omniscient; that is, His duration reaches from eternity to eternity; His presence from infinity to infinity; He governs all things, knows all things that are or can be done.”

A dissertation by Sir Isaac Newton titled, An Historical Account of Two notable Corruptions of Scripture was published in 1754 posthumously, 27 years after his death. It was not possible to publish during his lifetime for fear of reprisals from the Church. The letter was sent by Newton to his great friend the renowned Philosopher John Locke, it was a review of textual evidence of the biblical texts 1 John 5v7 and 1 Timothy 3v16 in which he concluded that the trinity doctrine and the passage in 1 Timothy were pious frauds and forgeries by the Church. Clearly Newton had his doubts.

Not being an atheist myself, I would say that "if" the Christian God created the world, then definitely he abandoned it, otherwise creationists have to accept that Yahweh is using random processes to achieve a creative outcome. Chaos theory, the study of dynamical systems sensitive to initial changes show this conclusively, we now know that this world could not exist without the prospect of probability.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 3 Great Quotes From A Great Scientist by KingEbukasBlog(m): 3:43pm On Oct 16, 2015
winner01:
Trying to imagine myself spending so much time refuting the existence of santa because almost every child believes he exists, my kid brother has been anticipating christmas.

LOL grin grin ... u bad
Re: 3 Great Quotes From A Great Scientist by Richirich713: 4:02pm On Oct 16, 2015
Sarassin:

A dissertation by Sir Isaac Newton titled, An Historical Account of Two notable Corruptions of Scripture was published in 1754 posthumously, 27 years after his death. It was not possible to publish during his lifetime for fear of reprisals from the Church. The letter was sent by Newton to his great friend the renowned Philosopher John Locke, it was a review of textual evidence of the biblical texts 1 John 5v7 and 1 Timothy 3v16 in which he concluded that the trinity doctrine and the passage in 1 Timothy were pious frauds and forgeries by the Church. Clearly Newton had his doubts.

Not being an atheist myself, I would say that "if" the Christian God created the world, then definitely he abandoned it, otherwise creationists have to accept that Yahweh is using random processes to achieve a creative outcome. Chaos theory, the study of dynamical systems sensitive to initial changes show this conclusively, we now know that this world could not exist without the prospect of probability.

Clearly newton had his doubts?

“I have a fundamental belief in the Bible as the Word of God, written by men who were inspired. I study the Bible daily"

1 Like

Re: 3 Great Quotes From A Great Scientist by Jeromejnr(m): 4:23pm On Oct 16, 2015
winner01:

You got that right bro.

It's the sinful/un-redeemed nature in them that drives them to oppose God.
Re: 3 Great Quotes From A Great Scientist by Nobody: 4:29pm On Oct 16, 2015
Richirich713:

Clearly newton had his doubts?

“I have a fundamental belief in the Bible as the Word of God, written by men who were inspired. I study the Bible daily"

Isaac Newton believed in God, no question, but clearly he had issues with the written words, as somebody else pointed out on these pages, Newton knew how to use his mind. Perhaps you should read the dissertation to be better informed.
Re: 3 Great Quotes From A Great Scientist by Richirich713: 5:03pm On Oct 16, 2015
Sarassin:

Isaac Newton believed in God, no question, but clearly he had issues with the written words, as somebody else pointed out on these pages, Newton knew how to use his mind. Perhaps you should read the dissertation to be better informed.

I believe bible was written by men who were inspired by God.

Any christian should no this.

And I already read his reasons for believing those verse are corrupted, and not just his but also bible scholars opinions.

And I believe that 1 John 5:7 was added in the text, but 1 Timothy 3:16 is difficult case.

If newton doubted the bible he wud he never have studied it daily.
Re: 3 Great Quotes From A Great Scientist by Nobody: 5:27pm On Oct 16, 2015
Richirich713:

I believe bible was written by men who were inspired by God.

Any christian should no this.

And I already read his reasons for believing those verse are corrupted, and not just his but also bible scholars opinions.

And I believe that 1 John 5:7 was added in the text, but 1 Timothy 3:16 is difficult case.

If newton doubted the bible he wud he never have studied it daily.

You say the bible was written by men inspired by God, but then you go on to admit that there was an insertion, was this insertion at the inspiration of God or man? And how many others are there? And how do you ensure the incorruptibility of the texts?.

It is easy to make a virtue out of scientists claiming belief in God, however, many of these scientists, particularly in the middle ages really had no choice but to affirm belief in God, Church and doctrine. I am sure you are aware what would have happened to Newton had he published his misgivings whilst alive. But, he was sufficiently troubled enough to do the research and he was subsequently proven right.

My point is, even if Newton did not believe in God, given the poisonous religious climate he lived in, he was hardly going to come out and say so.
Re: 3 Great Quotes From A Great Scientist by Richirich713: 6:39pm On Oct 16, 2015
Sarassin:

You say the bible was written by men inspired by God, but then you go on to admit that there was an insertion, was this insertion at the inspiration of God or man? And how many others are there? And how do you ensure the incorruptibility of the texts?.

It is easy to make a virtue out of scientists claiming belief in God, however, many of these scientists, particularly in the middle ages really had no choice but to affirm belief in God, Church and doctrine. I am sure you are aware what would have happened to Newton had he published his misgivings whilst alive. But, he was sufficiently troubled enough to do the research and he was subsequently proven right.

My point is, even if Newton did not believe in God, given the poisonous religious climate he lived in, he was hardly going to come out and say so.

The insertion was by man, was it accidental or added by mistake, I dnt no.

And how many others are there? And how do you ensure the incorruptibility of the texts

How many? That depends on wat u define as corruption. If corruption refers to additions which change the meaning, then few.

If it refers to scribe copyist errors( misspell words, missing letters , grammar etc) , then many.

If corruption mean variant reading, then many but over 99% of these readings does not affect on the meaning of the verse.

How am I sure about the bible incorruptibility?

Well there are many manuscript evidence for the NT. There are thousands of manuscripts, which can be compared to see where scribes made copyist errors.

there is also the dead see scrolls,the hebrew massoretic texts ,the septuagint text etc

We also have numerous quotes from early church fathers, using there quotes we can reconstruct the entire NT with the exception of 11 verses.

And I can go on and on... but this is not a bible textual criticism thread and I dnt want it to become one.

To make a long story short, yes I believe that the bible has been preserved and there is evidence to support that.
Re: 3 Great Quotes From A Great Scientist by Richirich713: 6:51pm On Oct 16, 2015
Sarassin:

True but Newton did not believe in God cuz of the church, nd he definitely did not accept the bible was from God cuz of fear.

He believe in God cuz of science and astronomy, and maybe other reasons ( personal experiences).

He believe in the Bible due to probably many reasons. Maybe it was bible prophecies or maybe it was jesus or maybe.... Either way he had his reasons why he was obsessed with the bible.

But then again this is just my opinions on Newton beliefs. Only Newton knows his reasons.
Re: 3 Great Quotes From A Great Scientist by Nobody: 7:21pm On Oct 16, 2015
Richirich713:

True but Newton did not believe in God cuz of the church, nd he definitely did not accept the bible was from God cuz of fear.

He believe in God cuz of science and astronomy, and maybe other reasons ( personal experiences).

He believe in the Bible due to probably many reasons. Maybe it was bible prophecies or maybe it was jesus or maybe.... Either way he had his reasons why he was obsessed with the bible.

But then again this is just my opinions on Newton beliefs. Only Newton knows his reasons.

History is rife with quotations from early church fathers, the likes of Tertullian, Origen and Dionysius (Bishop of Corinth) complaining of changes and alterations to the texts, sometimes it can be as subtle as the change in a dash in a theta to an omicron (thereby altering 1 John 5v7) or as crude as the insertion of the Pericope adulterai that didn’t exist in the earliest manuscripts of the Gospel of John, but yes you are right this is not a textual comparison thread so I will leave it there.

I do not doubt that Newton believed in God to start with. But as is evident, he had reason to question church doctrine later in life, my point is that the standalone remarks you quoted about him does not tell the whole story, and if later in life his questioning lead him to believe there is no God, he was not about to come out and say so. Nobody knows, like you, I am just expressing my opinion.

(1) (Reply)

What Amount Of Evidance Can Make You Convert To Theism? / FUNNY MEMES That Depict The Reality Of Religion / Pastor Chris Oyakhilome Media Empire Goes Bankrupt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.