Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,539 members, 7,812,675 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:22 PM

CSS Reset. What Does It Mean?? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / CSS Reset. What Does It Mean?? (924 Views)

Semalt: What Does Darodar Mean In Google Analytics? / What Does Hosted/non-hosted Adsense Mean? / Ads Account In Grace Period. What Does It Mean (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

CSS Reset. What Does It Mean?? by temitayo315(m): 9:23pm On Oct 14, 2015
Helow,my ogas in the house.
Have been trying to learn web design and am realy getting into it fast. Have just completed d html part with full knowledge about it.
Now have started learning CSS with d help of online tutorial.Am realy getting it until i got to a point of CSS Reset,then i got confused and made me loose interest in CSS. Pls wat does it realy means? Is it compulsory to use a Reset b4 your design can make sense. Please enlighten me on this. And if u have any other thing u can tell me about linking Html with Css.
Thanks..
Re: CSS Reset. What Does It Mean?? by dwebdesign(m): 1:06pm On Oct 15, 2015
Hi, css reset helps to override the default styles for cross browser compatibility. so that when your website is been viewed on broswers such as chrome, firefox, opera, safari and IE, there is uniformity in styles.

css reset became a good practice as it helps set your own styles of how the html elements should be rendered than browser default style.

if for example, you don't declare your h1 selector properties and value, a default value will be used which is not a constant one by all browser. Google chrome could render it using

h1{
font-size: 1em;
}

firefox could render it in

h1{
font-size: 1.5em;
}

opera browser could render it in

h1{
font-size: 2.5em
}

internet explorer could render it in

h1{

font-size: 3em;

}

so when your website is been viewed on different platforms, it won't look ok as you want it to be.

using CSS RESET, you can PREDEFINED some selectors properties and values.

the margin and padding is another. when you open a website, apart from your styles, the browsers render theirs too.

hope this helps clear your confusion.
Re: CSS Reset. What Does It Mean?? by dondiggy: 7:15pm On Oct 15, 2015
Just to buttress the point above. CSS reset remove all the default styling by the browser (different browsers have different default style), so you will be starting ur stylesheet with 0px padding, margin your h1, h2, h3 elements will all appear to the same until you start styling yourself. Hope you grab?
Re: CSS Reset. What Does It Mean?? by dondiggy: 7:21pm On Oct 15, 2015
temitayo315:

And if u have any other thing u can tell me about linking Html with Css.
Thanks..
Linking css with html means you're using external style sheets

To link your css (style sheet) with your html you use this code in ur html file in the head region

<link rel="stylesheet" href="yourcssfile.css" type="text/css>

1 Like

Re: CSS Reset. What Does It Mean?? by temitayo315(m): 9:11pm On Oct 15, 2015
Tnx much. Pls how does d reset look like. Will i write it on d Css notepad or html notepad??
dwebdesign:
Hi, css reset helps to override the default styles for cross browser compatibility. so that when your website is been viewed on broswers such as chrome, firefox, opera, safari and IE, there is uniformity in styles.

css reset became a good practice as it helps set your own styles of how the html elements should be rendered than browser default style.

if for example, you don't declare your h1 selector properties and value, a default value will be used which is not a constant one by all browser. Google chrome could render it using

h1{
font-size: 1em;
}

firefox could render it in

h1{
font-size: 1.5em;
}

opera browser could render it in

h1{
font-size: 2.5em
}

internet explorer could render it in

h1{

font-size: 3em;

}

so when your website is been viewed on different platforms, it won't look ok as you want it to be.

using CSS RESET, you can PREDEFINED some selectors properties and values.

the margin and padding is another. when you open a website, apart from your styles, the browsers render theirs too.

hope this helps clear your confusion.

Re: CSS Reset. What Does It Mean?? by dondiggy: 10:27pm On Oct 15, 2015
temitayo315:
Tnx much. Pls how does d reset look like. Will i write it on d Css notepad or html notepad??
The CSS reset code would be on the CSS Notepad.

This a link to one CSS reset code, just copy the code to your Notepad
www.meyerweb.com/eric/tools/css/reset/reset.css

2 Likes

Re: CSS Reset. What Does It Mean?? by temitayo315(m): 11:51pm On Oct 15, 2015
dondiggy:

This a link to one CSS reset code, just copy the code to your Notepad
www.meyerweb.com/eric/tools/css/reset/reset.css
All dat??realy plenty. It will even take half of d code self
Re: CSS Reset. What Does It Mean?? by dondiggy: 10:38pm On Oct 16, 2015
temitayo315:

All dat??realy plenty. It will even take half of d code self
lol, yeah. Look at the code very well and delete the part /element you don't need
Which text editor are you using?
Re: CSS Reset. What Does It Mean?? by temitayo315(m): 11:09pm On Oct 18, 2015
dondiggy:
lol, yeah. Look at the code very well and delete the part /element you don't need
Which text editor are you using?
Notepad. Even tired of it self. Nt getting it much again
Re: CSS Reset. What Does It Mean?? by dondiggy: 4:33pm On Oct 19, 2015
temitayo315:
Notepad. Even tired of it self. Nt getting it much again
Try sublime text 2 or notepad++,
Re: CSS Reset. What Does It Mean?? by dwebdesign(m): 12:30am On Oct 20, 2015
dondiggy:

Try sublime text 2 or notepad++,

notepad++ is what i use, and i recommend it. its light, has plugins to extend the IDE usage.

Give it a try, on mac though, i use textMate. its cool too.

happy creative coding!
Re: CSS Reset. What Does It Mean?? by dondiggy: 10:12am On Oct 20, 2015
dwebdesign:

notepad++ is what i use, and i recommend it. its light, has plugins to extend the IDE usage.

Give it a try, on mac though, i use textMate. its cool too.

happy creative coding!
I once use notepad++ earlier but ever since I tried sublime text 2 have been hooked with it.

(1) (Reply)

Monetize Your Blog With This 3 CPM Ad Networks. / [urgent] Mmm / Peer to Peer Script Deal / Who Owns Newsdey.com? The Site Looks Good.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.