Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,356 members, 7,819,261 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:28 PM

Partitioning A Harddrive With An Os Installed. - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Partitioning A Harddrive With An Os Installed. (773 Views)

Disk Partitioning / Curious About Partitioning Windows / Help! How Can I Install An Os On Mini Laptop (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Partitioning A Harddrive With An Os Installed. by brianromel(m): 11:51am On Apr 28, 2009
If it would please the house,i want to enquire upon the possibility of creating another partition on a harddrive with only one partition and has already had an OS(windows) installed on it.

Secondly will creating such a partition course damages to the os or harddrive.

Third.How does one go about to achieve this,as in,what utility or software can achieve success without error.
Thanks
P.s please don't mind my overt use of grammer.
Re: Partitioning A Harddrive With An Os Installed. by xanders(m): 2:42pm On Apr 28, 2009
for vista as well as xp you will require a third party software eg partition magic, etc. read the help file for info on the procedure. smiley cud be quite intresting. hope this solves your problem. p.s. partitioning is usually done when on ups, cos it can lead to disk failure
Re: Partitioning A Harddrive With An Os Installed. by blackweaver(m): 7:45pm On Apr 28, 2009
actually with vista you can resize your partition and then create a new one
Re: Partitioning A Harddrive With An Os Installed. by Nobody: 8:30pm On Apr 28, 2009
Yeah right, vista can shrink existing partitions so you can create new ones without loosing any data. . .i used it, and it was lovely, though, i do not really like vista that much. . .
Re: Partitioning A Harddrive With An Os Installed. by Oxone(m): 2:59pm On May 04, 2009
for vista there's a native partitioner but it restricts the amount of space you can partition but for xp, u can use partition magic
Re: Partitioning A Harddrive With An Os Installed. by scantee(m): 11:25am On May 05, 2009
@ topic
if you are using Win Xp partision Magic can do it all. i have been using it for my PCS
Re: Partitioning A Harddrive With An Os Installed. by TmeD0(m): 9:15pm On May 07, 2009
@ OP, yes you can safely do that with a third party software or vista. 

like somebody already stated, the partition utility in vista limits the size you can have, which is why i'm not too fond of it. 

partition magic is good but keep in mind that it's not free and i'm sure there will be limitations on the trial copy (if any). 

on the other hand, there's a free alternative to partition magic called EASEUS Partition Master for home users. 

it's compatible with both XP and Vista and it's very intuitive. . .
make sure you back up your important files before you try to resize your hard drive o!

good luck!

(1) (Reply)

Toshiba Laptop For Sale (45k) / Anyone Witha New Acer Aspire 5535 Board For Sale? / Strong Decoder Swap

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.