Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,687 members, 7,816,797 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:27 PM

LUTH Doctor, Hestianna Thomas Dies Through Domestic Violence - Health (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / LUTH Doctor, Hestianna Thomas Dies Through Domestic Violence (56528 Views)

LUTH, Psychiatric Hospital Discharge Patients Due To Strike / Nigerian Philanthropist Adepeju Olukokun Pays Off People's Medical Bills At LUTH / Mayowa Ahmed: LUTH Releases Press Statement On #savemayowa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: LUTH Doctor, Hestianna Thomas Dies Through Domestic Violence by Adortem: 4:42pm On Oct 16, 2015
cooldee:
.......I DONT HAVE TIME TO READ ALL THE FOOLISH AND STUPID COMMENTS HERE. BUT I AM ONLY HERE TO TELL YOU GUYS THAT HER HUSBAND HAS NEVER BEATEN HER AND HER HUSBAND IS NOT THE ONE THAT KILLED HER. ALL THE PEOPLE SAYING THE HUSBAND BEATS HER REGULARLY ARE LIES. THE HUSBAND IS A VERY GENTLE AND EASY GOING PERSON.....DR HESTIA STILL VISITED ME ABOUT 2MONTHS AGO AND I VISIT HER AND PLAY WITH HER CHILDREN REGULARLY. I KNOW THE HUSBAND VERY WELL TOO ...THEY ARE BOTH VERY COOL HEADED AND EASY GOING.ALL I WILL SAY FOR NOW IS THAT ...THE HUSBAND DID NOT KILL HER.

DR HESTIA'S MUM KNOWS HER DAUGHTER WELL AND SHE KNOWS THE HISTORY OF HER DAUGHTER WITH DEPRESSION AND SUCIDAL THOTS. ETC......GO AND ASK HER MUM ABOUT HER CHILD. THEN YOU WILL ALL KNOW THAT HER DEATH IS NOT A RESULT OF ANYTHING FROM HER HUSBAND AT ALL.
People that suffer domestic violence always look perfect on the outside,even the people closest to them hardly suspect,the batterer usually look cool and calm,the victim usually hide their problem from the world in the name of protecting her man and marriage. Seeing a mark on her skull,do you really think she can do that to herself? Why would people start saying she died from domestic violence.In every rumour there is an iota of truth. How can someone just wake up and say that poor woman killed herself. Definately,that marriage isn't healthy

6 Likes

Re: LUTH Doctor, Hestianna Thomas Dies Through Domestic Violence by ophilly: 4:44pm On Oct 16, 2015
So,.... So,.... Sad
Re: LUTH Doctor, Hestianna Thomas Dies Through Domestic Violence by IndianaJay: 4:55pm On Oct 16, 2015
onosprince:
Too much bad news in this Buhari regime

Na Buhari say make dem kill the lady?

1 Like

Re: LUTH Doctor, Hestianna Thomas Dies Through Domestic Violence by IndianaJay: 4:59pm On Oct 16, 2015
Sad............

If her husband didn't kill her, someone has to explain the gash on her skull (If there really is one).

Spousal abuse is usually well hidden, you never usually know the person is being abused,
abuser are able to hide their marks well.

For all those saying the know the couple and vouching for the husband: Never say never.

I know some abused women........they always seem happy when outsiders are there since they don't want people knowing their spouse is violent, so they learn to hide the bruises and tell-tale signs.

May her soul RIP, let's hope her killer gets caught.

4 Likes

Re: LUTH Doctor, Hestianna Thomas Dies Through Domestic Violence by Filmdirect: 5:02pm On Oct 16, 2015
I think the person that said she knows the man and wife and kids and everyone is calm and cool should look at domestic violence cases. The marriage is always perfect to the outsider, that is why the shame is most and the woman quiet...until death.

Unless that lady fell off a building, or ran in front of a bus, she was killed. The damage on one side of the body could mean a right handed person or left handed person, depending on the side, concentrated on the side easiest for them.

It would also be good to find out if the suicidal attempts were after marriage. That could be because she felt helpless.

Also she does look very calm. An insecure man will take advantage of that indeed. Most times the insecurity is most strong when the woman is intelligent and EVERYONE knows they are intelligent. At that point for his manhood, he might beat her to assert his dominance and to make sure she does not try to show her intelligence in his presence.

I really hope her colleagues will not allow tradition to desecrate the memory of their colleague. Please do not allow the so called family shame to make you listen to their desire to cover it up if it indeed was domestic violence. Honor her well by fighting for her. Do not simply listen to the mom tell you she was suicidal. Sometimes our parents do not know us as well as they think. Listen to her friends, look at the evidence.

Finally a sharp cut in her skull means a sharp object impacted her, a knife maybe? A plastic over her head could be the culprits way of preventing the blood lose.

Ladies, if you are in an abusive marriage, leave! No man is worth it. You will find love somewhere else. God did not make his daughters to be the prey of insecure men. His deliverance was for everyone.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: LUTH Doctor, Hestianna Thomas Dies Through Domestic Violence by PassingShot(m): 5:03pm On Oct 16, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

Bros, the report never mentioned that it was her man that battered her. Abi you be eyewitness?
Guy, do you have an idea what "domestic violence " means?

Is it you that battered her if not her husband?

5 Likes

Re: LUTH Doctor, Hestianna Thomas Dies Through Domestic Violence by Nicepoker(m): 5:05pm On Oct 16, 2015
superstar1:
What were their parents looking at before it got to this stage of irreparable loss?

Heard her father is a Professor in Uniben.

What was their church looking at? I am sure they were preaching the same endurance and patience and see where it led to, with that beast of a husband.

The lady has always been serially battered by her husband.
u be eye witness?
Re: LUTH Doctor, Hestianna Thomas Dies Through Domestic Violence by xtervaganza(m): 5:05pm On Oct 16, 2015
You hit any of my sisters I'll personally tidy your f×ck up

If you're too big for me to handle I'll arrange people to deck you for me

Bloody bastard

7 Likes

Re: LUTH Doctor, Hestianna Thomas Dies Through Domestic Violence by dualsurvey: 5:11pm On Oct 16, 2015
chrisbaby24:
Na waoo...some men no dey try at all...make he come fight his fellow..he no go fit...na to dey beat his wife he sabi.....mad man...
RIP to the deceased...may God accept her soul...
If na d husband do ds kind thing true true, no yawa nah, God go do am, d idiot go wan remarry, he go go enter trap for a girl's hand, wey be Lord of d Ring in boxing & takwando for Ajegunle axis. He go come carry himself do court wedding wt dat 1. Na d girl go teach am pure lesson. A blow like dis go land d idiot for intensive care unit. What a stupid man!

1 Like

Re: LUTH Doctor, Hestianna Thomas Dies Through Domestic Violence by annibro(f): 5:15pm On Oct 16, 2015
raayah:

This makes me so happy!
Congratulations Sister!!!

Thanks dear, its was trully an experience. D truth of d matter is, d signs are always der frm d onset but we tend 2 overlook it. Desperation made me do it as I felt all my younger ones were married. Also I was misled by Big Anties(advisers), who say der are powers dat don't want me 2 marry & its a usual norm in all marriages 2 ve misunderstandings, dat sooner dis tins will be over.
But one driving force dat pushed me 2 tek dat bold step was each time I remember d home I come frm & how my parents lived in penury just 2 see me tru d university & how dey mite never enjoy d fruit of deir labor if I allow some1 kill me in marriage.
One tin dat mek me laf each time I luk bak was d day d Judge gave d final verdict 4d annulment of d union, I went straight 2d market 2 sell my gold wedin ring & branch Mr Biggs 2 enjoy my freedom frm d cash grin grin
Am putting up a book on dis 2 save other souls.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: LUTH Doctor, Hestianna Thomas Dies Through Domestic Violence by EreluY(f): 5:26pm On Oct 16, 2015
UNFORTUNATELY, THERE IS NO RULE OF LAW IN NIGERIA AND THE ALLEGED KILLER-HUSBAND COULD ESCAPE JUSTICE. IF YOU'RE IN A VIOLENT RELATIONSHIP AND READING THIS, IRRESPECTIVE OF WHAT YOUR CLUELESS PASTOR OR PRIEST TELLS YOU, GET OUT OF THAT RELATIONSHIP RIGHT NOW BEFORE YOU BECOME THE NEXT VICTIM. THEN IT WOULD BE TOO LATE.

WHAT A WASTE OF LIFE AND TALENT. SHE'S A MEMBER OF THE BRITISH ASSOCIATION OF PAEDIATRIC SURGEONS (http://www.baps.org.uk/surgeons/hestia-idiodi-thomas/) AND NOT A MERE QUACK
Re: LUTH Doctor, Hestianna Thomas Dies Through Domestic Violence by annibro(f): 5:30pm On Oct 16, 2015
IndianaJay:

Sad............

If her husband didn't kill her, someone has to explain the gash on her skull (If there really is one).

Spousal abuse is usually well hidden, you never usually know the person is being abused,
abuser are able to hide their marks well.

For all those saying the know the couple and vouching for the husband: Never say never.

I know some abused women........they always seem happy when outsiders are there since they don't want people knowing their spouse is violent, so they learn to hide the bruises

Well said. As a victim, my 'ex' was & funny enuf is still a senior Pastor in one of ds most respected churches dat ladies don't wear jewelries. Wen I started opening up no one believed me cos of his comportment outside until he displayed it in d opened one fateful day.
Pipu had compelled me 2 go report 2d church authourity but becos I know how I mite be compelled 2 endure 2 keep d story silent cos of d image of d church & his position, I was more concerned 4 my life. I went 2 court myself 2 get my life & freedom back. 2day am Free 2d glory of God

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: LUTH Doctor, Hestianna Thomas Dies Through Domestic Violence by dalu: 5:30pm On Oct 16, 2015
Just spoke with her unit members.. It seems it's confirmed that it's a suicide.. The family reached out in support to the husband and confirmed the previous history of depression and won't be taking anything up.. Boys heading to her home in ajao estate.. End

2 Likes

Re: LUTH Doctor, Hestianna Thomas Dies Through Domestic Violence by Dymondgurl(f): 5:34pm On Oct 16, 2015
annibro:

Thanks dear, its was trully an experience. D truth of d matter is, d signs are always der frm d onset but we tend 2 overlook it. Desperation made me do it as I felt all my younger ones were married. Also I was misled by Big Anties(advisers), who say der are powers dat don't want me 2 marry & its a usual norm in all marriages 2 ve misunderstandings, dat sooner dis tins will be over.
But one driving force dat pushed me 2 tek dat bold step was each time I remember d home I come frm & how my parents lived in penury just 2 see me tru d university & how dey mite never enjoy d fruit of deir labor if I allow some1 kill me in marriage.
One tin dat mek me laf each time I luk bak was d day d Judge gave d final verdict 4d annulment of d union, I went straight 2d market 2 sell my gold wedin ring & branch Mr Biggs 2 enjoy my freedom frm d cash grin grin
Am putting up a book on dis 2 save other souls.
I admire your courage. You tossed societal views and expectations into the gutter and took charge of your life. Bravo ma'am.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: LUTH Doctor, Hestianna Thomas Dies Through Domestic Violence by Reference(m): 5:39pm On Oct 16, 2015
dalu:
Just spoke with her unit members.. It seems it's confirmed that it's a suicide.. The family reached out in support to the husband and confirmed the previous history of depression and won't be taking anything up.. Boys heading to her home in ajao estate.. End

So what happened to suggest those injuries described. She jumped from a fifth floor window or threw herself before a buldozer. The husband still has a lot of explaining to do because there are a lot of things he could have done to prevent this tragedy.

5 Likes

Re: LUTH Doctor, Hestianna Thomas Dies Through Domestic Violence by dalu: 5:45pm On Oct 16, 2015
Reference:

So what happened to suggest those injuries described. She jumped from a fifth floor window or threw herself before a buldozer. The husband still has a lot of explaining to do because there are a lot of things he could have done to prevent this tragedy.
I described the injuries... The story is she jumped off the second floor
Re: LUTH Doctor, Hestianna Thomas Dies Through Domestic Violence by dalu: 5:45pm On Oct 16, 2015
Reference:

I described the injuries... The story is she jumped off the second floor [b][/b]
Re: LUTH Doctor, Hestianna Thomas Dies Through Domestic Violence by armadeo(m): 5:46pm On Oct 16, 2015
RIP. Hestia. The most intelligent girl in the class. Mankind has lost a gem.

@all we have heard from a colleague on the issue. Let's not jumobto conclusions on the COD. We await the findings after investigations

Modified.

@Dalu thanks for the updates. Let's leave the family to grieve thier loss especially the husband. The issue of suicide is frankly looked upon with almost taboo like views in this country.
It's hard to fathom but there it is.

Once again RIP smart one.

1 Like

Re: LUTH Doctor, Hestianna Thomas Dies Through Domestic Violence by teamchocolate: 5:48pm On Oct 16, 2015
Now looking at it logically, pls how does one fracture their own bones, chest etc and still have enough power to strangle themselves, just curious

dalu:
No it's not a well known fact.. Hestia worked with me for years.. She came in in a pool of blood with a nylon bag over her head face smashed in chest and arms fractured.. Husband told us she had a history of depression and suicidal attempts and that her family know this.. For now we are working with that.. The family may or may not confirm this.. She's had a full body scan post mortem and is in the morgue.. Please don't speculate and cause unnecessary pain to her 2 kids

3 Likes

Re: LUTH Doctor, Hestianna Thomas Dies Through Domestic Violence by blessedtwins: 5:49pm On Oct 16, 2015
annibro: An inspiration to be courageous.
The exact path I am on.but preparing my exit.cant wait to be free.
Church ppl said madam endure and lock yourself up when he starts,keep snack with you when he starts but we know "he will change"

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: LUTH Doctor, Hestianna Thomas Dies Through Domestic Violence by dalu: 5:51pm On Oct 16, 2015
Reference:

hestia is essentially childlike.. 5'2.. Barely 50kg.. A jump from the second floor can cause that kinda harm.. I should know.. It's my field

1 Like

Re: LUTH Doctor, Hestianna Thomas Dies Through Domestic Violence by armadeo(m): 5:52pm On Oct 16, 2015
blessedtwins:
annibro: An inspiration to be courageous.
The exact path I am on.but preparing my exit.cant wait to be free.
Church ppl said madam endure and lock itself up when he starts,keep snack with you when he starts but we know "he will change"

One word for you.

RUN!!!!

1 Like

Re: LUTH Doctor, Hestianna Thomas Dies Through Domestic Violence by annibro(f): 5:54pm On Oct 16, 2015
Dymondgurl:
I admire your courage. You tossed societal views and expectations into the gutter and took charge of your life. Bravo ma'am.

Yes I had 2. I saw life as a Priviledge, Precious & worth Living not just for self but living also 4 others who care about u.
It wasn't actually easy as so called friends were backbiting me in secret. But wat helped me more was dat I helped in Spreading d gossip which silenced everyone. Wenever I meet such pipu, & dey pretend & ask 'how's ur husband? I answer quickly. 'Which husband? I ve divorced him. I spread my story myself & it shut d mouths of gossips as dey didn't ve anytin or anyone 2 tell.
BTW: d gossips got me my hubby now as he wanted 2 cum find out d truth 4 himself how ds innocent, quiet girl grin can be a divorcee.... Na der d luv start grin. 2day d rest is history.
But one impt tin is dat, I didn't rush in2 a 2nd marriage. I waited 3 good yrs 2b sure it wasn't out of Pity.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: LUTH Doctor, Hestianna Thomas Dies Through Domestic Violence by dalu: 5:55pm On Oct 16, 2015
teamchocolate:
Now looking at it logically, pls how does one fracture their own bones, chest etc and still have enough power to strangle themselves, just curious

yeah about that too.. Sometimes jumpers cover their eyes or faces so they don't see death sort of a check against last minute dissuation...especially common in serial failed attempts.. Which they claim she had done..

1 Like

Re: LUTH Doctor, Hestianna Thomas Dies Through Domestic Violence by Reference(m): 5:55pm On Oct 16, 2015
Dymondgurl:

Why not find out why the marraige failed rather that stack up against the 'society' we exploit to our advantage when times are good and vilify when things go wrong. The 'society' expects you to get educated and advanced. Why don't you kick against that. The fact that a union has failed has nothing to do with society rather it has all to do with the couple involved afterall there are millions of unions worldwide having no problems whatsoever and when I mean problems, problems that well within the abilities of the couples to handle them. You are a product of such.
Re: LUTH Doctor, Hestianna Thomas Dies Through Domestic Violence by youngalex(m): 5:56pm On Oct 16, 2015
dalu:
we've asked for a full bid scan and an autopsy.. That's as much as I can say here.. We are expecting a response from her family. That will determine if we believe or disbelieve the tale of a long history of suicidal attempts
Thanks Bro for the update we will like you to keep us posted on this case, for guys that batter women I find it absolutely unnecessary and totally unacceptable ,if there are issues in the marriage it is more honourable to end it

1 Like

Re: LUTH Doctor, Hestianna Thomas Dies Through Domestic Violence by teamchocolate: 5:58pm On Oct 16, 2015
But my point remains if they know she has suicidal thoughts, why didn't they get her help from the psychiatrists?

cooldee:
.......I DONT HAVE TIME TO READ ALL THE FOOLISH AND STUPID COMMENTS HERE. BUT I AM ONLY HERE TO TELL YOU GUYS THAT HER HUSBAND HAS NEVER BEATEN HER AND HER HUSBAND IS NOT THE ONE THAT KILLED HER. ALL THE PEOPLE SAYING THE HUSBAND BEATS HER REGULARLY ARE LIES. THE HUSBAND IS A VERY GENTLE AND EASY GOING PERSON.....DR HESTIA STILL VISITED ME ABOUT 2MONTHS AGO AND I VISIT HER AND PLAY WITH HER CHILDREN REGULARLY. I KNOW THE HUSBAND VERY WELL TOO ...THEY ARE BOTH VERY COOL HEADED AND EASY GOING.ALL I WILL SAY FOR NOW IS THAT ...THE HUSBAND DID NOT KILL HER.

DR HESTIA'S MUM KNOWS HER DAUGHTER WELL AND SHE KNOWS THE HISTORY OF HER DAUGHTER WITH DEPRESSION AND SUCIDAL THOTS. ETC......GO AND ASK HER MUM ABOUT HER CHILD. THEN YOU WILL ALL KNOW THAT HER DEATH IS NOT A RESULT OF ANYTHING FROM HER HUSBAND AT ALL.

2 Likes

Re: LUTH Doctor, Hestianna Thomas Dies Through Domestic Violence by dalu: 6:03pm On Oct 16, 2015
teamchocolate:
But my point remains if they know she has suicidal thoughts, why didn't they get her help from the psychiatrists?

actually we were informed that she had been seeing someone but it had to be hush hush.. As it could destroy her budding career in surgery

1 Like

Re: LUTH Doctor, Hestianna Thomas Dies Through Domestic Violence by Zellie: 6:07pm On Oct 16, 2015
Her husband didn't beat her? So she fractured her own skull ? That's strange
Re: LUTH Doctor, Hestianna Thomas Dies Through Domestic Violence by teamchocolate: 6:09pm On Oct 16, 2015
Ok I concur then

dalu:
actually we were informed that she had been seeing someone but it had to be hush hush.. As it could destroy her budding career in surgery
Re: LUTH Doctor, Hestianna Thomas Dies Through Domestic Violence by Dymondgurl(f): 6:09pm On Oct 16, 2015
Reference:

Why not find out why the marraige failed rather that stack up against the 'society' we exploit to our advantage when times are good and vilify when things go wrong. The 'society' expects you to get educated and advanced. Why don't you kick against that. The fact that a union has failed has nothing to do with society rather it has all to do with the couple involved afterall there are millions of unions worldwide having no problems whatsoever and when I mean problems, problems that well within the abilities of the couples to handle them. You are a product of such.
no one is blaming society Mr. What I meant was that society, especially the nigeran society expects a woman in an abusive marriage to stay put cos of the kids and cos of the stigma that comes with being divorced. But the lady in question put her life before anyother. If she obliged to the expectation of our society, I don't think she would be able to share her experience here. I have close friends facing this same problem. Pple tell dem" stay for the sake of your kids", "God is against divorce", "don't let another woman take your husband". Like its a do or die affair. We should all know when to stop. As the saying goes, "the dead cant speak".

2 Likes

Re: LUTH Doctor, Hestianna Thomas Dies Through Domestic Violence by tunesoft(m): 6:13pm On Oct 16, 2015
I believe the forensics in LUTH should be able to shed more light on the issue. Lots of questions to be answerd. Till then I choose to reserve any further comments

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Tiktok Doctor Posts Before And After Pics With Horrifying Results(pictures) / "Why Nigeria Should Avoid Madagascar’s COVID-19 Drug" - JOHESU, PSN / Lagos Lockdown; Berger Axis In Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.