Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,898 members, 7,817,661 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:36 PM

The Power Of Punctuation - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Power Of Punctuation (29329 Views)

How Our Teens And Youths Are Damaging Their Spelling Skills And Punctuation / The Mysterious Origins Of Punctuation / Power Of Punctuation! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Power Of Punctuation by swaggprofessor(m): 9:58pm On Oct 16, 2015
the queen said " kill him not spare him". however, u punctuate this it could save a life or end 1.
Re: The Power Of Punctuation by Kennydoc(m): 10:52pm On Oct 16, 2015
Emodeee:
This should call for a debate, don't u think?

If you carefully analyse the grammar, you will discover that the guys were correct.

Guys' view:
A WOMAN, WITHOUT HER MAN, IS NOTHING
"A woman" (singular) should go with "her" (also singular).

Ladies' view:
A WOMAN: WITHOUT HER, MAN IS NOTHING
In this case, "a woman" (singular, definite) should go with "a man" (also singular and definite) and not "man" (indefinite) as in:
A WOMAN: WITHOUT HER, A MAN IS NOTHING.
But to put the statement more properly in that manner it should have read thus:
WOMAN: WITHOUT HER, MAN IS NOTHING
Putting 'a' before the 'woman' invalidates the ladies' interpretation of that statement.

1 Like

Re: The Power Of Punctuation by gbagagbogo(m): 11:33pm On Oct 16, 2015
Nice power of punctuation. Both the males and the females are correct
Re: The Power Of Punctuation by lumeneng22: 12:58am On Oct 17, 2015
Yes both are correct. That is why many people are miinterpreting the the bible and the Quran today.
Re: The Power Of Punctuation by bellville: 4:18am On Oct 17, 2015
The power of punctuation indeed. There is no surer way of improving your punctuation than through reading.

Shop for books. Check my signature.
Re: The Power Of Punctuation by basty: 4:35am On Oct 17, 2015
The two mean two different things but the first is saying A woman is nothing without a man while the other recognized a man to be nothing without a woman.
Re: The Power Of Punctuation by perryy(m): 7:34am On Oct 17, 2015
geloorrrrdd:
Can this post Get me an iPhone 6s?

If No, Then it is U-S-E-L-E-S-S to me.

You ,surely, are in a sorry state. You mean ordinary iphone 6 is more valuable to you than knowledge? What is in iphone 6 that makes it so valuable to you? The mediocre assemblage with beatiful casing? Is that what you have given your life to? Human ignorance is truely infinite, and poverty is really a huge disease .
Re: The Power Of Punctuation by perryy(m): 7:37am On Oct 17, 2015
Kennydoc:

If you carefully analyse the grammar, you will discover that the guys were correct.

Guys' view:
A WOMAN, WITHOUT HER MAN, IS NOTHING
"A woman" (singular) should go with "her" (also singular).

Ladies' view:
A WOMAN: WITHOUT HER, MAN IS NOTHING

In this case, "a woman" (singular, definite) should go with "a man" (also singular and definite) and not "man" (indefinite) as in:
A WOMAN: WITHOUT HER, A MAN IS NOTHING.
But to put the statement more properly in that manner it should have read thus:
WOMAN: WITHOUT HER, MAN IS NOTHING
Putting 'a' before the 'woman' invalidates the ladies' interpretation of that statement.

You get sense bro.
Re: The Power Of Punctuation by exoswap: 7:56am On Oct 17, 2015
This is awesome.
Re: The Power Of Punctuation by Nobody: 8:02am On Oct 17, 2015
The full stop should be out side the quote.
"A Woman: without her, Man is nothing".
Re: The Power Of Punctuation by geloorrrrdd(m): 8:09am On Oct 17, 2015
perryy:

You ,surely, are in a sorry state. You mean ordinary iphone 6 is more valuable to you than knowledge? What is in iphone 6 that makes it so valuable to you? The mediocre assemblage with beatiful casing? Is that what you have given your life to? Human ignorance is truely infinite, and poverty is really a huge disease .
Oga, Did I tag your name to my post? Isn't everybody free to air his opinion on a social platform? Young man, K of many colours. Bye.
Re: The Power Of Punctuation by mickeymimi: 9:33am On Oct 17, 2015
I go with the females .. A woman, without her, man is nothing....

Genesis 2:22... “It is not good that man should be alone; I will make him a helper fit for him”

Man’s being alone is the first “not good” thing that required a solution. So God created Eve as “a helper fit for him” function. She was to be his counterpart and his complement.

“something was taken from Adam, in order that he might embrace with greater benevolence, a part of himself. He lost, therefore, one of his ribs
Re: The Power Of Punctuation by peleson: 11:55am On Oct 17, 2015
Very educative
Re: The Power Of Punctuation by mart2k(m): 2:54pm On Oct 17, 2015
Richie0974:
For real, which Mod moved this to fp. I've seen this picture for as long as I can remember and am sure most nlers have too. So how's it worth the front page
Thank God u said most Nlanders av seen it but I av nt. Daz y it makes front page
Re: The Power Of Punctuation by Gurgle(f): 7:05pm On Oct 17, 2015
Thebachelor:
Gurgle

grin You(.)
Re: The Power Of Punctuation by ajosegabriel(m): 1:05pm On Oct 19, 2015
lifeofkelvino:

THEN..... undecidedGO BACK TO SCHOOL.....
then send me to school.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Justina Anochie, Student Of Babcock Kidnapped / Coronavirus: Schools In Awka, Anambra Closed (Photos) / Npowerng: How Was I Supposed To Answer This Question?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.