Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,220 members, 7,825,826 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 12:50 AM

Mistake On His WAEC Certificate Poses A Challenge To Him In The Labour Market - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Mistake On His WAEC Certificate Poses A Challenge To Him In The Labour Market (24922 Views)

FG Uncovers 925 Hard-to-fill Vacancies In Labour Market / Certification Vs Masters: Which Is Hotter In Nigerian Labour Market? / What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mistake On His WAEC Certificate Poses A Challenge To Him In The Labour Market by Hybekay004(m): 7:47pm On Oct 17, 2015
Dear fellow Nairalanders,

I want to use this platform to seek for your advice on this issue: when I collected my WAEC certificate two years ago, I discovered a mistake on the date of birth the certificate carries. According to what appears on the certificate, I am three years older than my actual age - the birth day and month don't even correspond. Then, I ignored it, hoping I'd do something about it later. I never realized the likely challenge it was going to pose until I got an invite to come and write a test for a job I applied for (I'm a graduate now). At the test center, one of the men in charge spotted the DOB on my WAEC certificate and called my attention to it, demanding an explanation as it was different from what appeared on my CV. I told him it was a mistake from WAEC and he immediately wrote on my CV with a red ink, advising me to take it back to WAEC office for correction and rectification. At that spot, I doubted my chance of getting shortlisted among the successful candidates.

My question now is: which of the WAEC offices do I return it to? The state where I wrote the exam or any of WAEC offices in the country? Some persons suggested that I should swear an affidavit to back up my real age and ignore the mistake on the certificate. Is this appropriate or what do you suggest I can do? Your candid pieces of advice are warmly welcomed. Thanks anticipatorily for your contributions.
Re: Mistake On His WAEC Certificate Poses A Challenge To Him In The Labour Market by Nobody: 8:18pm On Oct 17, 2015
Hybekay004:

I want to use this platform to seek for your advice on this issue: when I collected my WAEC certificate two years ago, I discovered a mistake on the date of birth the certificate carries. According to what appears on the certificate, I am three years older than my actual age - the birth day and month don't even correspond. Then, I ignored it, hoping I'd do something about it later. I never realized the likely challenge it was going to pose until I got an invite to come and write a test for a job I applied for (I'm a graduate now). At the test center, one of the men in charge spotted the DOB on my WAEC certificate and called my attention to it, demanding an explanation as it was different from what appeared on my CV. I told him it was a mistake from WAEC and he immediately wrote on my CV with a red ink, advising me to take it back to WAEC office for correction and rectification. At that spot, I doubted my chance of getting shortlisted among the successful candidates.

My question now is: which of the WAEC offices do I return it to? The state where I wrote the exam or any of WAEC offices in the country? Some persons suggested that I should swear an affidavit to back up my real age and ignore the mistake on the certificate. Is this appropriate or what do you suggest I can do? Your candid pieces of advice are warmly welcomed. Thanks anticipatorily for your contributions.
me to i have similar chanllege
Re: Mistake On His WAEC Certificate Poses A Challenge To Him In The Labour Market by Rizin: 8:42pm On Oct 17, 2015
Hybekay004:

very simple and short.
1. Go to waec office and they will tell u how to draft the affidavits.
2. Take the later to court to type n sign as affidavits
3. Return to waec office for them to stamp and minute on it......................
4. Attach the original to ur waec result n use it wherever u go.
Note: just like ur NYSC certificate no body will change the result for u.
Thank u

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mistake On His WAEC Certificate Poses A Challenge To Him In The Labour Market by Hybekay004(m): 8:47pm On Oct 17, 2015
Rizin:

very simple and short.
3. Return to waec office for them to stamp and minute on it......................
Thank u

Thanks for your advice. It's found useful.
Re: Mistake On His WAEC Certificate Poses A Challenge To Him In The Labour Market by chymystique(f): 9:27pm On Oct 17, 2015
Rizin:

very simple and short.
Thank u

pls I ve the same probs too and 2yrs older. I swore an affidavit but waec office didnt stamp on it and am not in the state where I registered my waec... Can I take it to WAEC office in my present location?? Is it necessary since I ve my birth certificate with me too??
Re: Mistake On His WAEC Certificate Poses A Challenge To Him In The Labour Market by Rizin: 10:45pm On Oct 17, 2015
chymystique:

pls I ve the same probs too and 2yrs older. I swore an affidavit but waec office didnt stamp on it and am not in the state where I registered my waec... Can I take it to WAEC office in my present location?? Is it necessary since I ve my birth certificate with me too??

YOU CAN STILL GO THERE. THE DIFFICULTY THERE IS IN FONDING YOUR DATA AT THEIR OFFICE THATS WHY U SHOULD GO TO THE REGION THAT COVERS YOUR EXAM. REMEMBER U STILL NEED AFFIDAVIT THAT WILL INDICATE THAT THE AGE ON UR WAEC RESULT IS NOT UR ACTUAL AGE.

GOOD LUCK.
Re: Mistake On His WAEC Certificate Poses A Challenge To Him In The Labour Market by Nobody: 11:22pm On Oct 17, 2015
The year I wrote Waec, fake ink was used in printing the certificates (was announced on TV), this made the grades and everthing written on it to start cleaning off, like chalk on paper. Started like film.

We were then told to return then to the school where we wrote, that a new one would be issued to us. I did just that, and after a couple of months I received the new one. My Principal was very responsible about it, so, I didn't even pay anything.

Op, I advise that you go back to the school where you wrote to do this. You can ask the school/principal to give you a letter or something giving details of the error, return, and expected new certificate. This would be better than having nothing while you wait for the new one to be issued.
Re: Mistake On His WAEC Certificate Poses A Challenge To Him In The Labour Market by ajasa4link: 2:05am On Oct 18, 2015
Rizin:

very simple and short.
Thank u
@op just follow this guy's advise and u will be glad u did. And do it fast because u may not pass the documentation stage of most recruitment exercise unless u rectify the issue asap.
And just like he said, they will never issue u another waec certificate again, it is only issued once.
Re: Mistake On His WAEC Certificate Poses A Challenge To Him In The Labour Market by Willdidi(m): 6:55am On Oct 18, 2015
Had a similar issue but with the spacing between my name's, went to their head office in yaba and ogba both in Lagos, what I was told was I should get the form that was submitted by my school then to know where the fault came from, the school couldn't find mine and Waec was not ready to do any thing about it cause there said if the error was from the school when the form was filled then I should get a letter from them that they made an error so i just the letter from the school, mine was not so bad, just a space bar in the wrong place so I could still live with it.
Re: Mistake On His WAEC Certificate Poses A Challenge To Him In The Labour Market by Rukkydelta(f): 7:35am On Oct 18, 2015
Go to waec headquarters in Lagos
Re: Mistake On His WAEC Certificate Poses A Challenge To Him In The Labour Market by Nobody: 9:34am On Oct 18, 2015
Rizin:

very simple and short.
Thank u

You've said it all.
Re: Mistake On His WAEC Certificate Poses A Challenge To Him In The Labour Market by profinaya: 10:34pm On Oct 18, 2015
Contact me at emmainaya88@yahoo.com
Re: Mistake On His WAEC Certificate Poses A Challenge To Him In The Labour Market by butanep(m): 8:15am On Oct 19, 2015
Rukkydelta:
Go to waec headquarters in minna

Please waec office is not in minna. It's in yaba lagos.
Re: Mistake On His WAEC Certificate Poses A Challenge To Him In The Labour Market by tosan24(f): 10:55am On Oct 20, 2015
@ Hybekay004 you need to go to WAEC office opposite YABATECH, they ll correct the mistake on the certificate for you. That is they ll collect the copy with the wrong DOB on it and provide a new copy with a corrected DOB.

Be prepared though its a cumbersome process. You might likely be frantically shuttling between their YABA Office to their Ogba Office.

It happened to me too.

It can take about 3-4 months of serious running around.

I wish you all the best.

Cheers.

1 Like

Re: Mistake On His WAEC Certificate Poses A Challenge To Him In The Labour Market by Hybekay004(m): 3:14pm On Oct 20, 2015
tosan24:
@ Hybekay004 you need to go to WAEC office opposite YABATECH, they ll correct the mistake on the certificate for you. That is they ll collect the copy with the wrong DOB on it and provide a new copy with a corrected DOB.

Be prepared though its a cumbersome process. You might likely be frantically shuttling between their YABA Office to their Ogba Office.

It happened to me too.

It can take about 3-4 months of serious running around.

I wish you all the best.

Cheers.

Thanks
Re: Mistake On His WAEC Certificate Poses A Challenge To Him In The Labour Market by JVgal(f): 6:49pm On Oct 20, 2015
Same tin happened to me today. got rejected cos of error in my dob. The years is correct just d date. Instead of august 5th, waec put may 8th. Just dat error n d man said I am nt qualified
Re: Mistake On His WAEC Certificate Poses A Challenge To Him In The Labour Market by macaranta(m): 8:55pm On Oct 20, 2015
JVgal:
Same tin happened to me today. got regected cos of error in my dob. The years is correct just d date. Instead of august 5th, waec put may 8th. Just dat error n d man said I am nt qualified

That man is rigid o...just try the affidavit method the guy above listed.
Re: Mistake On His WAEC Certificate Poses A Challenge To Him In The Labour Market by JVgal(f): 9:10pm On Oct 20, 2015
macaranta:

That man is rigid o...just try the affidavit method the guy above listed.

I already hv an affidavit, he refused to accept it. Dat I must go to waec for correction. How possible is dat?
Re: Mistake On His WAEC Certificate Poses A Challenge To Him In The Labour Market by macaranta(m): 9:31pm On Oct 20, 2015
JVgal:

I already hv an affidavit, he refused to accept it. Dat I must go to waec for correction. How possible is dat?

waec corrections are near impossible ...and even if they do it might take years before a new one is issued.Just tell him youve gone and they said they cant change it.
Re: Mistake On His WAEC Certificate Poses A Challenge To Him In The Labour Market by JVgal(f): 9:42pm On Oct 20, 2015
macaranta:

waec corrections are near impossible ...and even if they do it might take years before a new one is issued.Just tell him youve gone and they said they cant change it.

Me, I'm not going there again.
Re: Mistake On His WAEC Certificate Poses A Challenge To Him In The Labour Market by firstlady0(f): 9:45am On Oct 21, 2015
JVgal:
Same tin happened to me today. got regected cos of error in my dob. The years is correct just d date. Instead of august 5th, waec put may 8th. Just dat error n d man said I am nt qualified
Had similar issues,the month and year was correct but instead of 10th of July,they wrote 8th of July.i had 2 change the day on my cv n did another birth certificate bearing the new date.Can't go through the stress of changing with WAEC, after all its jus a number.But if it were the case of adding more years 2 my years,i go locate WAEC office sharperly.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Mistake On His WAEC Certificate Poses A Challenge To Him In The Labour Market by chukwuma32: 1:56pm On Oct 21, 2015
Mine is two year younger so what will i do?
Re: Mistake On His WAEC Certificate Poses A Challenge To Him In The Labour Market by JVgal(f): 3:19pm On Oct 21, 2015
firstlady0:

Had similar issues,the month and year was correct but instead of 10th of July,they wrote 8th of July.i had 2 change the day on my cv n did another birth certificate bearing the new date.Can't go through the stress of changing with WAEC, after all its jus a number.But if it were the case of adding more years 2 my years,i go locate WAEC office sharperly.

Tik I will do wht u did. I cnt do dat waec sh*t
Re: Mistake On His WAEC Certificate Poses A Challenge To Him In The Labour Market by JVgal(f): 3:19pm On Oct 21, 2015
firstlady0:

Tik I will do wht u did. I cnt doo dat waecc sh*t
Re: Mistake On His WAEC Certificate Poses A Challenge To Him In The Labour Market by ajasa4link: 3:33pm On Oct 21, 2015
The truth of the whole matter is u might keep getting dropped even before your recruitment process commences. For the love of God,we have a saturated labor market where prospective employers are willing to drop as many applicants for the slightest reason. Knowing fully well u have a discrepancy on your certificates and still going to an employment assessment with that certificates means u are not ready yet. My advice is anyone even one or two issues like that should try as fast as possible to sort such issue out before heading out for interviews/test to avoid going back home with disappointment. I've seen people with sad expression after being turned down during tests and interviews.

so best bet is to go to the nearest waec office asap and gt the issue sorted.
Re: Mistake On His WAEC Certificate Poses A Challenge To Him In The Labour Market by engrrichie92(m): 7:55pm On Oct 21, 2015
I really hope this thing's fixable Ooo..I gat same issue and on the verge of going for one interview that lays so much emphasis on age...though just 1 year difference
but then ..you know how employers look for any available reason to disqualify and would be so painful if i get disqualified coz of that when in actual sense I meet the age requirement
another issue's how long does this whole WAEC affidavit process take?
Re: Mistake On His WAEC Certificate Poses A Challenge To Him In The Labour Market by jamesyria: 10:41pm On Oct 21, 2015
WAEC: MAY/JUNE OR NOV/DEC (GCE) IS AMENDABLE:
1. For May /June certificate, go back to your school/principal.

2. For gce, go to their yaba office with all supportive documents
e.g. birth certificate, other doc with dob, int'l passport if available, national I.d. old or new, etc. You will be given a form after which you will be required to pay N5k to verify your claims. if application is successful upon verification, you will be required to pay 5k-10k more depending on the level of error.

The whole process might take up 6mths - 1yr.

NB: the original certificate will be submitted with the application. So ensure you make enough copies.
Re: Mistake On His WAEC Certificate Poses A Challenge To Him In The Labour Market by engrrichie92(m): 7:13am On Oct 22, 2015
jamesyria...mine's may/June..what exactly can the principal do about it?
Re: Mistake On His WAEC Certificate Poses A Challenge To Him In The Labour Market by engrrichie92(m): 8:19pm On Nov 01, 2015
profinaya:
Contact me at emmainaya88@yahoo.com
please I just pmed you..I Dont know if you can help..having the same issue and I Dont know if you can help me rectify it quickly..please sir
Re: Mistake On His WAEC Certificate Poses A Challenge To Him In The Labour Market by profinaya: 8:35pm On Nov 01, 2015
@ engr richie, I will help u. Call me on 07039500747
Re: Mistake On His WAEC Certificate Poses A Challenge To Him In The Labour Market by ujay77: 9:25am On Apr 13, 2016
Re: Mistake On His WAEC Certificate Poses A Challenge To Him In The Labour Market by ayokunle032(m): 10:46am On Apr 13, 2016
ujay77:
engrrichie92 please I am in your shoes right now I sent you a PM but you are yet to get back to me...Please has anyone ever made an age correction on original WAEC result successfully...its urgent

YES it POSSIBLY i also had dis same issue wen i went for UBA job test last month, d guy clearly say'd ny one wit error of date of birth shud just leav immediately, so i left nd i immediately went to weac office @ yaba but i was told to go to my secondary school were i tuk d exam un4tunatly my secondary school is located in abuja, so afta abut a week i went to abuja frm lagos nd wen i got to my secondary skul i was ask to mit d exam officer nd he told me it cost 10k after it must hav bin accepted but b4r den i shud go sworn an avidavit wich i did nd i also foto copied ma birth certificate nd as well droped d original dat same day nd i paid 5k i was told it for d skul transportation to weac offices, so wen i got der d next day i was given bck my original birth certificate nd i was ask to pay 10k shud d application for correction b accepted or if i prefer to wait until it accepted i can go with d 10k, since i would not lik to com bck to d school i paid d 10k dat day nd i was told i shud not worry dat dy will get bck to me, cal'd d exam officer last week nd he told me it bin accepted dat by next month i can ask any one to com collect d corrected copy on ma behalf.

Note
Ensure u ask ur d exam officer to giv u a form of leter attesting d fact dat ur original is bein processed ok.

And also if ir weac is private jiz ignore all av reply'd cox dat a whole new ball game **** cheers

DONT BE SCEARD IT POSSIBLE TO CHANGE IT WILL ONLY COST YOU ALOT OF MONEY ND TIME WASTING my total expenses was close to 50k tho cox i ad to travel to abuja etc

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Can A Man Who Earns N80,000 Marry In Lagos? / Waec Interview? / 6 Things You Should Never Wear To An Interview

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.