Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,113 members, 7,814,908 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:54 PM

GTBank Deducts N100 For Not Withdrawing From ATM - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / GTBank Deducts N100 For Not Withdrawing From ATM (1801 Views)

Man Strips Unclad Inside Gtbank As His Money Vanished From His Account (video) / Caption This Hilarious Pic Of A Woman Withdrawing Money From ATM / Man Steals N6.8m From ATM In Abuja. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

GTBank Deducts N100 For Not Withdrawing From ATM by otblanre(m): 12:33pm On Apr 30, 2009
Dear nairalanders
Please i will like to know if it is right for Gtbank to deduct =N=100 from your account anytime yo make a withdrawal below a certain amount from the counter, their argument is that they want everybody to start using their ATM for minor withdrwals.

I honestly dont know if this is right but i feel it is just taking advantage of Nigerians.

Please share your views on this and other ripoff strategy by banks.

Lanre
Re: GTBank Deducts N100 For Not Withdrawing From ATM by JJYOU: 12:37pm On Apr 30, 2009
another bank hating thread starting. why dont you use the machine as they said?

everything in life is not free
Re: GTBank Deducts N100 For Not Withdrawing From ATM by meetyommy: 12:55pm On Apr 30, 2009
Is it by force to use ATM for transactions?what of cases where the machine is faulty or the ATM user is an illiterate?it has been proven that this system of Banking is not secure and the bank cannot be completely held responsible for any Mishap, if you dont add figures then you shouldnt have said what you said,
Bro.please think before making your contribution on any thread.
Re: GTBank Deducts N100 For Not Withdrawing From ATM by JJYOU: 1:35pm On Apr 30, 2009
there must be a paper somewhere saying if you use the counter services you will pay. it is not only nigerian banks that do it. 
meetyommy:

Is it by force to use ATM  for transactions?what of cases where the machine is faulty or the ATM user is an illiterate?it has been proven that this system of Banking is not secure and the bank cannot be completely  held responsible for any Mishap, if you dont add figures then you shouldnt have said what you said,
Bro.please think before making your contribution on any thread.

you dont need to be a university graduate to use an ATM.  illiterates use ATM world wide why is naija different? machines break down or run out of cash in europe and north america too. it is not a nigeria thing.

N100 is a small money to smear a bank for dont you think?

if you think you were wrongly charged go to bank and complain not online. i am in nigeria next week. i wont leave here with more than about 4 notes in my pocket that is what they are working towards in nigeria.  changes takes time to implement sir.
Re: GTBank Deducts N100 For Not Withdrawing From ATM by Iranoladun(f): 2:15pm On Apr 30, 2009
I think the topic should be 'why do bank deduct N100 from your account if you did not use ATM' To the best of my knowledge Oceanic bank does it, UBA, Ecobank, Zenith etc I specifically asked Oceanic bank & their staff told me it is a CBN directive in order to encourage people to use the ATM
Re: GTBank Deducts N100 For Not Withdrawing From ATM by JJYOU: 3:04pm On Apr 30, 2009
Iranoladun:

I think the topic should be 'why do bank deduct N100 from your account if you did not use ATM' To the best of my knowledge Oceanic bank does it, UBA, Ecobank, Zenith etc I specifically asked Oceanic bank & their staff told me it is a CBN directive in order to encourage people to use the ATM
thank you. how many fanta kuola N100 dey buy now?
Re: GTBank Deducts N100 For Not Withdrawing From ATM by presido1: 4:08pm On Apr 30, 2009
JJYOU

Which bank in Europe deduct money from your account for making withdrawal? Don't give false info if you don't have any info to give. Its robbery and such thing can only happen in Nigeria. As far as i know you can enter into any bank branch where i leave and withdraw £1 as far as you have £1 in your account and no body charges you for that. I use GTB and everytime i do online transfer they deduct some amount from ma account for sms while i have not received any sms from them. You can tell me that banks do that everywhere.
That only happens where nobody regulates the system and the people that are incharge are part the system that robs us. Its a shame really.
Re: GTBank Deducts N100 For Not Withdrawing From ATM by JJYOU: 4:21pm On Apr 30, 2009
presido1:

JJYOU

Which bank in Europe deduct money from your account for making withdrawal? Don't give false info if you don't have any info to give. Its robbery and such thing can only happen in Nigeria. As far as i know you can enter into any bank branch where i leave and withdraw £1 as far as you have £1 in your account and no body charges you for that. I use GTB and everytime i do online transfer they deduct some amount from ma account for sms while i have not received any sms from them. You can tell me that banks do that everywhere.
That only happens where nobody regulates the system and the people that are incharge are part the system that robs us. Its a shame really.
it is good to read properly before answering threads. the guy didnt say he was being charged for using ATMs. dont talk banking with me oga because i know what i am talking about.

there are loads of ATMS that charge fees in the UK and i know too you pay for using counter services more than 3 times in some banks. i dont go to banks mostly but i have accounts that cost you money to make a call to my banker. N100 is okay. you may wish to read this again
Iranoladun:

there has to be policies in place to change a society like nigeria and i think N100 is a prize worth paying.
Re: GTBank Deducts N100 For Not Withdrawing From ATM by presido1: 4:36pm On Apr 30, 2009
there are loads of ATMS that charge fees in the UK and i know too you pay for using counter services more than 3 times in some banks. i dont go to banks mostly but i have accounts that cost you money to make a call to my banker. N100 is okay. you may wish to read this again
He said he was charged for using the counter not ATM. No bank here charges you for using the counter irrespective of the amount you are taking off. Meanwhile no BANK ATM charges you. The only ATM that charges is the once you see in pubs and corner shops.

Its robbery when bank charge you for withdrawal.

there has to be policies in place to change a society like nigeria and i think N100 is a prize worth paying.
Are you ok? So bank robbing customers will now change nigeria. If that is the case then nigeria will never change.
Re: GTBank Deducts N100 For Not Withdrawing From ATM by JJYOU: 5:00pm On Apr 30, 2009
presido1:

He said he was charged for using the counter not ATM. No bank here charges you for using the counter irrespective of the amount you are taking off. Meanwhile no BANK ATM charges you. The only ATM that charges is the once you see in pubs and corner shops.

Are you ok? So bank robbing customers will now change nigeria. If that is the case then nigeria will never change.
where is the here you are talking about sir? you may think it okay to abuse people because of N100 it doesnt make you taller. for the general good of the populace there has to be policies to change place.

i know for a fact that if you go to the counter more than 3 times in most banks in the uk to withdraw cash they will charge you.  go check the small prints. 

if you live in the uk and you buy an unregistered mobile phones on the pay as you go you pay more because you dont allow the govt to trace your  calls easily whereas if you register the sim either through credit/debit cards  you get immediate £10 prize difference with cheaper call tarrifs too unless that has changed recently.  i still seee the cards purchase price in newspaper ads.  these are govt. policies.   

these are small controls any sane society put in place for reduction of cash and crime/ orderliness.  they are not asking you to use cards because they want you to use the machines.  they are attempting to reducing the volume of untracable cash moving around in the society.

when i come to nigeria for instance i dont come with much cash because i can draw on my foreign accounts whereas most of you come here  physically taking foreign currency out  of the system.  putting more presure on a buying and selling economy.

please relax it is only N100
Re: GTBank Deducts N100 For Not Withdrawing From ATM by walesmann: 5:52pm On Apr 30, 2009
I contacted my contacts at GTBank before commenting on this thread. I understand the Bank charges N100 for withdrawals of amounts less than N40K made in their Banking halls. If the customer uses the ATM for his withdrawals , he is not charged a dime. However , if he chooses to do the same in the Banking hall , he will be charged. If the amount withdrawn in the Banking hall is more than N40k , say N50K , customer would not be charged anything.

They also made me realise that the charge would not be applied in situations of ATM downtime , excessive queue at the ATM or where there are some other peculiar conditions (e.g. if the amount customer needs would not be possible with the denominations available through the ATM).

I bank with many Banks (dont ask me for names please) and I know that this situation applies across most of them. I think what our Banks need at this moment is encouragement rather than a further heat-up of the system.
Re: GTBank Deducts N100 For Not Withdrawing From ATM by JJYOU: 6:11pm On Apr 30, 2009
walesmann:

I contacted my contacts at GTBank before commenting on this thread. I understand the Bank charges N100 for withdrawals of amounts less than N40K made in their Banking halls. If the customer uses the ATM for his withdrawals , he is not charged a dime. However , if he chooses to do the same in the Banking hall , he will be charged. If the amount withdrawn in the Banking hall is more than N40k , say N50K , customer would not be charged anything.

They also made me realise that the charge would not be applied in situations of ATM downtime , excessive queue at the ATM or where there are some other peculiar conditions (e.g. if the amount customer needs would not be possible with the denominations available through the ATM).

I bank with many Banks (dont ask me for names please) and I know that this situation applies across most of them. I think what our Banks need at this moment is encouragement rather than a further heat-up of the system.

oga thank you. it is always easier to cause panic or slander on NL than read rules.
Re: GTBank Deducts N100 For Not Withdrawing From ATM by presido1: 7:52pm On Apr 30, 2009
where is the here you are talking about sir? you may think it okay to abuse people because of N100 it doesnt make you taller.
Dude I did not abuse you and will never do.

My point is that the bank has no right in any sane society to charge you for making over the counter transaction. Unless in the case of three times withdrawal you mentioned which i have not noticed here in UK. Those our banks in Nigeria are dubious and will want to gain from you at any point in time. Taking your money from the ATM or Inside the bank is your choice to make and not the bank's so you have to chose the convenient one for you. I could remember when i make use of STB, i opened account in FESTAC, travelled to Calabar, made a withdrawal there they charged me cuz its not my branch. Is that not robbery? Don't they practice one bank one branch again?. They know that no body fights for the citizens that's why they do anything they wanna. Are you telling me that if we have a body like Office of Fair Trading that know their job such nonsense will happen.
Re: GTBank Deducts N100 For Not Withdrawing From ATM by JJYOU: 10:54am On May 01, 2009
presido1:

Dude I did not abuse you and will never do.

My point is that the bank has no right in any sane society to charge you for making over the counter transaction. Unless in the case of three times withdrawal you mentioned which i have not noticed here in UK. Those our banks in Nigeria are dubious and will want to gain from you at any point in time. Taking your money from the ATM or Inside the bank is your choice to make and not the bank's so you have to chose the convenient one for you. I could remember when i make use of STB, i opened account in FESTAC, travelled to Calabar, made a withdrawal there they charged me cuz its not my branch. Is that not robbery? Don't they practice one bank one branch again?. They know that no body fights for the citizens that's why they do anything they wanna. Are you telling me that if we have a body like Office of Fair Trading that know their job such nonsense will happen.
there is a consumer society there but like all things may be based in abuja and lagos and probably easily bribed and bought into silence too. i remember watching something on NTA news about coca cola using a promotion to reap nigerians off. it was the organisation that caught them. this was last year on NTA international.

the reason you have many banks licensed is for competition. if they dont do free inter state or inter branch banking then look for banks that do. always read the small prints. i dont know how much is the minimum for private banking in nigeria now if you can afford it go for it. it is always the best option and worth the fees.
Re: GTBank Deducts N100 For Not Withdrawing From ATM by meetyommy: 4:18pm On May 02, 2009
If you say it is a directive from the Central Bank then i ll say NO WONDER, The only thing they do in those offices is exploit Nigerians and say they are helping them grow the economy.they come with so many names such as 7point agenda,vision 20/20 etc
The bottom line is Nigerians are greedy, if you reside in certain western states and you make your findings.you will agree with me that it only cost =N=2000.00 to take a fellow Nigerian life,
you dont necessarily have to use an ATM/CREDIT/DEBIT card to run transactions in advanced countries, particularly europe.
To me the =N=100 is a way of expoiting rather than encouraging the use of the ATM!
And for you Mr jjyou:you will agree with me that their are kinds of illiterates.if i tell you there are people that dont know how to use it, you can be sure i am telling you that from experience.
Re: GTBank Deducts N100 For Not Withdrawing From ATM by JJYOU: 4:40pm On May 02, 2009
meetyommy:

If you say it is a directive from the Central Bank then i ll say NO WONDER, The only thing they do in those offices is exploit Nigerians and say they are helping them grow the economy.they come with so many names such as 7point agenda,vision 20/20 etc
The bottom line is Nigerians are greedy, if you reside in certain western states and you make your findings.you will agree with me that it only cost =N=2000.00 to take a fellow Nigerian life,
you dont necessarily have to use an ATM/CREDIT/DEBIT card to run transactions in advanced countries, particularly europe.
To me the =N=100 is a way of expoiting rather than encouraging the use of the ATM!
And for you Mr jjyou:you will agree with me that their are kinds of illiterates.if i tell you there are people that dont know how to use it, you can be sure i am telling you that from experience.
so we shouldn't make progress att all? if they dont use atm and cards in europe what do they use? cash or cowries?

i odnt get your point at all. why do you think in london they use the oyster card for instance or why do you pay for air tickets in advance rather than gopay cash at time of travel? we should not have passports too so we all dont pay for anything?
Re: GTBank Deducts N100 For Not Withdrawing From ATM by chikeobi(m): 10:09pm On May 02, 2009
JJYOU:

so we shouldn't make progress att all? if they dont use atm and cards in europe what do they use? cash or cowries?

i odnt get your point at all. why do you think in london they use the oyster card for instance or why do you pay for air tickets in advance rather than gopay cash at time of travel? we should not have passports too so we all dont pay for anything?
Guy your post gat nothing to do with the topic, The bank charged somebody for withdrawal and you are linking it to oyster card and whatever. Using ATM and Counter withdrawal keeps tha same record so i don't know why you are talking of advanced purchase and instant one.

That is exploitation from the banks that charge such fee. Are you one of them?
Re: GTBank Deducts N100 For Not Withdrawing From ATM by JJYOU: 10:12pm On May 02, 2009
chikeobi:

Guy your post gat nothing to do with the topic, The bank charged somebody for withdrawal and you are linking it to oyster card and whatever. Using ATM and Counter withdrawal keeps tha same record so i don't know why you are talking of advanced purchase and instant one.

That is exploitation from the banks that charge such fee. Are you one of them?
do you know what they are trying to create by introducing cards in nigeria at all?

you dont thta is why you are still bothered with N100
Re: GTBank Deducts N100 For Not Withdrawing From ATM by Outstrip(f): 4:12am On May 05, 2009
jjyou why are so hot about it. He is not smearing the bank. He is just stating facts and someone else came up and confirmed it. If the orginal poster was lying it would be a different thing. As for forcing people to use ATM's in NIgeria, I don't even know where to start with that. Maybe Nigeria is safer than I think and maybe all ATM's in Nigeria have camera's so that when I do not get my money out I will not need to deal with an ignorant someone that will tell me that it shows that I took the money out.
Re: GTBank Deducts N100 For Not Withdrawing From ATM by Nobody: 8:56pm On Aug 18, 2014
presido1: He said he was charged for using the counter not ATM. No bank here charges you for using the counter irrespective of the amount you are taking off. Meanwhile no BANK ATM charges you. The only ATM that charges is the once you see in pubs and corner shops.

I A̶̲̥̅♏ surprised that some people are less informed. I was charged 100naira last year for using the counter. I didn't know why so I stormed into GTBank T̶̲̥̅Ơ̴͡ make inquiries.

At that point I was told in order T̶̲̥̅Ơ̴͡ decongest the bank of people who ar there T̶̲̥̅Ơ̴͡ collect 2000, 4000, 1000 and make the operation stressful and difficult, that charge was put in place.

We complain a lot. I agree with the guy above who said US and UK banks still charge their customers. My uncle was amazed when Ɣø̲̣̣U returned and found out there was not inter bank charges which according T̶̲̥̅Ơ̴͡ him is amounting T̶̲̥̅Ơ̴͡ $5 per transaction.

Sometimes people want things free or on a platter of Gold. This thread has received its answers but I wonder why its still lingering.

(1) (Reply)

"for Sale" Concrete Block Industry In Abuja / My Online Shopping Experience With Amazon.com / Help To Open A Retail Pharmacy.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.