Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,951 members, 7,817,791 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:47 PM

Mass Sack, Demotion Looms In Customs - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Mass Sack, Demotion Looms In Customs (25255 Views)

28 Professors Recommended For Demotion In Michael Okpara University, Umudike / Mass Sack By Etisalat Nigeria / Confusion In Customs As Newly Retired Officers Stay Put (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mass Sack, Demotion Looms In Customs by Emmysteve(m): 6:58am On Oct 19, 2015
THERE were indications, weekend, that the Nigeria Customs Service, NCS, will experience mass sack and demotion of officers and men of the service as its comptroller general, Col. Hameed Ali (retd) has vowed to demote all officers promoted unevenly in the service.

Ali has also promised to carry out an in house cleansing exercise that may lead to the sack of officers and men of the service found to be corrupt.

Speaking to newsmen at the Customs Training School in Ikeja, Lagos, the Customs boss said he had been informed about irregular promotion, posting and recruitment in the service over the years. His words, “In every conversation and meeting with my men, I have told them that I realized that there are so many anomalies as regard to their posting, promotion and recruitment.

“We will set up a committee to review the whole thing. Where people have not been promoted out of no fault of theirs we will address it and where people have been promoted based on godfatherism we will review it.”

The CG also warned officers who had refused to go on training because they were sitting on lucrative desks stressing that such an era in the service has gone. He noted, “Where people have refused to go to courses because they think they are sitting on a desk where they make some ‘egunje’ we know what to do. There are so many internal things that I don’t need to come out and start reeling them because we have taken note of all this and I and my senior management have resolved to look at this and we will ensure that there is equity and justice in the service.”

Meanwhile, the CGC had vowed to embark on house cleansing in order to rid the service of corrupt officers and men. According to him, no organization in Nigeria is corruption free but the few bad eggs in the service had tainted the rest as corrupt. “Most customs men and officers are not corrupt but what happened is that because our activities relate to the member of the public, and if there is one bad egg the news goes around so far and the impression today in Nigeria is that we are all corrupt because of the activities of some few bad eggs and I have said that we must do some house cleansing and get rid of those bad eggs in other to strengthen the customs.

“There is no organisiation in the country that will beat its chest and say no corrupt element in it so. I cannot also say there are no corrupt elements in customs and I want to say this and say it with all sense of responsibility that in customs, there are few corrupt elements.”

The former military administrator of Kaduna state had also informed that the federal government had stopped granting of import waivers.
Ali said President Buhari had cancelled all existing waivers and put an end to the granting of new ones.

“Waivers are beyond us but the good thing is that the current president has put a stop to it.

“There is no going to be waivers except those one that the law allowed for and that is the diplomatic and not that they are written UN.

“We will subject them to scrutiny and know that they are genuinely diplomatic cargo

“There are consignment for diplomat that are evacuating their thing to their way back home after serving outside and those waivers are statutory and we will continue to have it but things like someone bringing machine or rice then exploit his relationship with government and get those approved are over.

“He has said no waivers and when anyone comes with a paper, I should ask who gave him so there is no waiver and we will maximize that because we want money and we can raise the revenue profile.”

www.vanguardngr.com/2015/10/mass-sack-demotion-looms-in-customs

6 Likes

Re: Mass Sack, Demotion Looms In Customs by jimikata(m): 8:21am On Oct 19, 2015
It's a welcome development.

8 Likes

Re: Mass Sack, Demotion Looms In Customs by Sijo01(f): 8:51am On Oct 19, 2015
.....and Buhari said he will create jobs.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mass Sack, Demotion Looms In Customs by macaranta(m): 8:51am On Oct 19, 2015
Hope its not a case of sacking and demoting perceived opposition?What yardstick will they use in determining the corrupt? Hope its not the "All PDP members are corrupt " yardstick ?

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Mass Sack, Demotion Looms In Customs by iyobs7(f): 8:52am On Oct 19, 2015
When others are complaining of no job, then others are being sacked, no single job has been created...

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mass Sack, Demotion Looms In Customs by Lesgupnigeria(m): 8:52am On Oct 19, 2015
Ok.
In a similar vein....it is high time workers begin to look for other ways of earning good income than relying on unreliable and unsustainable jobs
Agribusiness is the way....it pays
https://www.nairaland.com/2097637/hidden-truths-plantain-farming-business

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mass Sack, Demotion Looms In Customs by Unsad(m): 8:52am On Oct 19, 2015
ALI!!! I wish people know this man , way more ruthless than PMB in dealing with corruption

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Mass Sack, Demotion Looms In Customs by b0y(m): 8:53am On Oct 19, 2015
SACK THEM ALL.

TOO MANY ROTTEN EGGS IN THE SYSTEM.
angry angry angry

5 Likes

Re: Mass Sack, Demotion Looms In Customs by deking(m): 8:53am On Oct 19, 2015
I concur

1 Like

Re: Mass Sack, Demotion Looms In Customs by Nobody: 8:53am On Oct 19, 2015
Abeg, make dem take am easy oo
Re: Mass Sack, Demotion Looms In Customs by kamez(m): 8:53am On Oct 19, 2015
and the unemployment rate continues to skyrocket.

but seriously the corruption rate in the NCS is alarming.

2 Likes

Re: Mass Sack, Demotion Looms In Customs by baconadoke: 8:53am On Oct 19, 2015
Gud steps keep it up!
Re: Mass Sack, Demotion Looms In Customs by Flye: 8:54am On Oct 19, 2015
This is a great idea.

iyobs7:
When others are complaining of no job, then others are being sacked, no single job has been created...
Sijo01:
.....and Buhari said he will create jobs.

Do u read d news at all or you are in automatic wailing mode.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mass Sack, Demotion Looms In Customs by ayusco85(m): 8:54am On Oct 19, 2015
ok
Re: Mass Sack, Demotion Looms In Customs by shigoslim(m): 8:55am On Oct 19, 2015
So that more ABOoKI will be recruited grin

waiting for the slayer to attack me especially the S-waste fool lipsrsealed ............... i so much like this change undecided

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mass Sack, Demotion Looms In Customs by Sardongarigan(m): 8:55am On Oct 19, 2015
what is the need
Re: Mass Sack, Demotion Looms In Customs by erico2k2(m): 8:56am On Oct 19, 2015
Unu wey dey shout good step we will see ur faces wen sombody close to U gt the sack.

6 Likes

Re: Mass Sack, Demotion Looms In Customs by sanandreas(m): 8:57am On Oct 19, 2015
Were you voted to sack people? No single job created but you re sacking. We were scammed.

4 Likes

Re: Mass Sack, Demotion Looms In Customs by braine(m): 8:58am On Oct 19, 2015
Nice
Re: Mass Sack, Demotion Looms In Customs by Nobody: 8:58am On Oct 19, 2015
Great
Re: Mass Sack, Demotion Looms In Customs by kennyman2000(m): 8:59am On Oct 19, 2015
Hmmm.... My condolences to the victims..

1 Like

Re: Mass Sack, Demotion Looms In Customs by Dottore: 8:59am On Oct 19, 2015
Wahala dey o
Re: Mass Sack, Demotion Looms In Customs by Nobody: 8:59am On Oct 19, 2015
Re: Mass Sack, Demotion Looms In Customs by sweatlana: 8:59am On Oct 19, 2015
Buhari regime has brought hunger sad

1 Like

Re: Mass Sack, Demotion Looms In Customs by Ijaya123: 9:00am On Oct 19, 2015
Nice one. But come to think of it, if the Custom Service is purged of corruption, how many officers will remain? Can one find a virgin in a maternity ward?

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mass Sack, Demotion Looms In Customs by teelacruz(m): 9:01am On Oct 19, 2015
Demote them, sack them & watch them later stab you front left right & back. That wouldn't reduce the corrupt practices of these officers, they'll only obey for few weeks and later go back to their vomits. please come up with more effective strategies though am still thinking about it too, nevertheless, you know much more than I do.
God bless my country, Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: Mass Sack, Demotion Looms In Customs by ayusco85(m): 9:01am On Oct 19, 2015
as long as it will sanitize and rid the customs of corruption, its a welcome development. but who will they replace the sacked ones with?

1 Like

Re: Mass Sack, Demotion Looms In Customs by luorquay: 9:01am On Oct 19, 2015
iyobs7:

Bros is it a bad idea to demote those who have been wrongly promoted due to their godfatherism and promote those who deserve it?? Abi make e still leave those with corruption for the system to continue soiling the name of customs.

1 Like

Re: Mass Sack, Demotion Looms In Customs by Adonis86(m): 9:03am On Oct 19, 2015
Please when would there be a new intake? Since my sister who is an assistant comptroller general only took her own specials for the job leaving us behind.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Corruption In Nigeria Correctional Service That's Led To Incessant Jailbreak / N60,000 Monthly Job Or Uber? / Should I Go Back Home Or Travel North For Job?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.