Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,576 members, 7,955,124 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 05:33 PM

Will You Let Your Mother In-law Live With The Family? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Will You Let Your Mother In-law Live With The Family? (1937 Views)

Poll: Will You Let Your Mother in Law Live With The Family??

Yes: 5% (1 vote)
NO: 77% (14 votes)
Depends on her character: 16% (3 votes)
This poll has ended

How To Live With a contentious woman / Photo: Would You Let Your Pregnant Wife Go Clubbing Dressed Like This? / Will You Let Someone Sleep With Your Spouse For N10m? - (See Responses) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Will You Let Your Mother In-law Live With The Family? by SeanT21(f): 8:09pm On Apr 30, 2009
A friend and I saw a Nigerian film recently named "Caught In The Act"  and we got into a heated debate. In the film the mother of Genevieve husband shares the house with them. My friend said that she opposes the idea of her mother in law staying with the family. I told her that it depends on what kind of person the mother in law is.If she is a nice and respectful lady then she is welcome to stay there as long as she please.If she is the absolute opposite then it will not be a good idea.

Will U let your mother in Law live with the family?? Why??
?

Thanks!!
Re: Will You Let Your Mother In-law Live With The Family? by olanajim(m): 8:37pm On Apr 30, 2009
there is notthing wrong in mother in law living with there children, but there is alot wrog if such mother in law choose to interfere in the domestic issues.

I have seem the beaty and ugly side of this arrangement and i can say that much depends, actually on the ocuples, and not the mother in laws,
Re: Will You Let Your Mother In-law Live With The Family? by invisible2(m): 9:00pm On Apr 30, 2009
Make sure there is some distance between her bedroom and the couples, else she will be hearing some 'blue film' noises in her room.
Re: Will You Let Your Mother In-law Live With The Family? by Outstrip(f): 9:52pm On Apr 30, 2009
It depends. If she has only one child and she is very elderly then she definitely has to live with her child. We don't put our parents in nursng homes. If she is not too old she needs to respect herself and even be the one asking to leave after 1 month. The other thing I will say is if you are newly weds then you should have no family livng wth you. The same goes for if you are having marital problems. Sort it out before you bring in a mother in law. Old people have nothing better to do than to be amebos especially in this age where they all have cellphones. They will be the town crier for anything that happens in your house
Re: Will You Let Your Mother In-law Live With The Family? by Sissy3(f): 3:03am On May 01, 2009
I dont care how nice or bad she is, she is not living with me. i need my our space. some of them you cant trust them, they may appear gentle for the first few months then after a while they will start dictating and noticing every little thing you did and didn't do.

however, she can only stay with us if she is ill and needs medical attention or for child visit. packing her things and moving in? is a no, no for me
Re: Will You Let Your Mother In-law Live With The Family? by SeanT21(f): 5:01am On May 01, 2009
invisible!:

Make sure there is some distance between her bedroom and the couples, else she will be hearing some 'blue film' noises in her room.

They are married so its whatever!! wink
Re: Will You Let Your Mother In-law Live With The Family? by xavier3(m): 11:35am On May 01, 2009
@ topic
i can tolerate my mother in law leaving wit me if she's nice and al, wit good character

invisible!:

lol grin grin
cheesy cheesy if her room is next 2 ours and she cant stand d noise den she's gotta go, afterall na her daughter i dey ride grin grin
Re: Will You Let Your Mother In-law Live With The Family? by chikito1(f): 11:47am On May 01, 2009
If she is indeed nice, no worries. But i must say that i am a very private person when it comes to my man and family. So its almost impossible to do things in the open when she is around. Most discussions will have to be in the room of when she is not there. embarassed
Re: Will You Let Your Mother In-law Live With The Family? by SeanT21(f): 6:28pm On May 01, 2009
chikito1:

If she is indeed nice, no worries. But i must say that i am a very private person when it comes to my man and family. So its almost impossible to do things in the open when she is around. Most discussions will have to be in the room of when she is not there. embarassed

This will be hard because most african mother-in-laws love being in their kids affairs.
Re: Will You Let Your Mother In-law Live With The Family? by uzwu: 6:47pm On May 01, 2009
Hell No!
Re: Will You Let Your Mother In-law Live With The Family? by iice(f): 7:44am On May 02, 2009
If she's anything like my great aunt, she's most welcome grin

olanajim:

there is notthing wrong in mother in law living with there children, but there is alot wrog if such mother in law choose to interfere in the domestic issues.

I have seem the beaty and ugly side of this arrangement and i can say that much depends, actually on the ocuples, and not the mother in laws,

So true
Re: Will You Let Your Mother In-law Live With The Family? by ifyalways(f): 9:39am On May 02, 2009
Outstrip:

It depends. If she has only one child and she is very elderly then she definitely has to live with her child. We don't put our parents in nursng homes. If she is not too old she needs to respect herself and even be the one asking to leave after 1 month. The other thing I will say is if you are newly weds then you should have no family livng wth you. The same goes for if you are having marital problems. Sort it out before you bring in a mother in law. Old people have nothing better to do than to be amebos especially in this age where they all have cellphones. They will be the town crier for anything that happens in your house
right on spot !
Re: Will You Let Your Mother In-law Live With The Family? by EKENEA(m): 11:40am On May 02, 2009
in any case I can't try it.
Re: Will You Let Your Mother In-law Live With The Family? by SeanT21(f): 1:09am On May 03, 2009
EKENEA:

in any case I can't try it.

Straight to the point!! wink
Re: Will You Let Your Mother In-law Live With The Family? by Ben13: 1:56pm On May 08, 2009
I have submited my vote wink
Re: Will You Let Your Mother In-law Live With The Family? by yme1(f): 2:39pm On May 09, 2009
a big NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, not even my mother
Re: Will You Let Your Mother In-law Live With The Family? by MaiSuya(m): 3:44pm On May 09, 2009
I'm not sure I'll be comfortable with it. . . lipsrsealed
Re: Will You Let Your Mother In-law Live With The Family? by Nobody: 4:38pm On May 09, 2009
Re: Will You Let Your Mother In-law Live With The Family?

Not as a newlywed.
If we live in a big house.
If she minds her own business.
And if she doesn't cause enmity between me and her son.
Re: Will You Let Your Mother In-law Live With The Family? by Secretz(f): 4:40pm On May 09, 2009
Nahh am sorry,

Even when they seem nice and polite etc, it's all good because you don't live with them and you just see them on occassions, spend hours, or maybe a weekend, but coming to live with us. . . .  you will begin to see all the pot holes, not even my own mum. Maybe when babies start arriving, for a little bit, due to some help needed, but after that laterz!  grin
Re: Will You Let Your Mother In-law Live With The Family? by FLGators1: 4:45pm On May 09, 2009
I, ofcourse, wouldn't be comfy with it, even if she's the most darling Mother-In-Law. Marriage demands privacy from both "outside" sources.

But if we're the last resort, then she can stay:

*continuing Stillwater's list*

1. IF She doesn't try to cause any controversy between me and her son.
2. IF she Doesn't try to control the house
Re: Will You Let Your Mother In-law Live With The Family? by FLGators1: 4:47pm On May 09, 2009

Even when they seem nice and polite etc, it's all good because you don't live with them and you just see them on occassions, spend hours, or maybe a weekend, but coming to live with us. . . . you will begin to see all the pot holes, not even my own mum. Maybe when babies start arriving, for a little bit, due to some help needed, but after that laterz!
rotflmao grin grin grin grin true true.

And the hubby won't be the uncomfortable one cuz it's his mom. . . .na the woman go feel it more
Re: Will You Let Your Mother In-law Live With The Family? by Oxone(m): 6:17pm On May 09, 2009
wouldnt allow it cos i wouldnt want to give room for troubles in my home
Re: Will You Let Your Mother In-law Live With The Family? by Secretz(f): 6:33pm On May 09, 2009
FL Gators!:

rotflmao grin grin grin grin true true.

And the hubby won't be the uncomfortable one cuz it's his mom. . . .na the woman go feel it more

abi oohhhhhh!! grin
Re: Will You Let Your Mother In-law Live With The Family? by ThoniaSlim(f): 6:20am On May 14, 2009
Depends on my relationship with the mother in law and her personality. . .if she's the type who's bossy. . .loves to snoop around and cause trouble all day. . . then hell no!!!!!

She can come visit. . .but no overstaying and when its time to leave. . .then she's got to leave. . .
Re: Will You Let Your Mother In-law Live With The Family? by omofola(f): 3:30pm On May 14, 2009
Lai Lai not even my own Mother
shocked shocked shocked
Re: Will You Let Your Mother In-law Live With The Family? by biina: 11:12pm On May 14, 2009
omofola:

Lai Lai not even my own Mother
shocked shocked shocked
hopefully your kids will share your views
Re: Will You Let Your Mother In-law Live With The Family? by Nobody: 11:40pm On May 14, 2009
Visiting, yes.

Moving in, no.
Re: Will You Let Your Mother In-law Live With The Family? by omofola(f): 1:14pm On May 19, 2009
@biina

we don't have to feel the same way about our mothers living with us or are you part of my family

What's your stress

Piss off!!!
Re: Will You Let Your Mother In-law Live With The Family? by Motee(f): 4:41pm On May 19, 2009
Some mother-in-laws even avoid coming to the house. Mine will always tell you that she was not brought up that way.

If situation like that should arise, i think one should get a separate apartment where she can stay and make things comfortable for her and of cause, the two parties can check on one another.
Re: Will You Let Your Mother In-law Live With The Family? by stayhelthy: 11:49pm On May 20, 2009
Of course my mother-in-law can live with me and husby.

Particularly if she is old. You know, is not african to take her to old peoples home. I just pray she is not the type that would want to control my home, or see me as second-class citizen.

Remember you will be a mother-in-land tomorrow.

Men have no problem with their in-law living me them. But women they want their mother to stay put and see there mother-in-law as somebody that must not stay longer than one month.

I tell you, "we go be mother-in-law" sha.
Re: Will You Let Your Mother In-law Live With The Family? by Motee(f): 3:42pm On May 22, 2009
hey! some men have problems having their in-law living with them especially those type of in-laws that will not allow them to cheat on their wife and correct their wrongs.
Re: Will You Let Your Mother In-law Live With The Family? by gbengaeba(m): 1:10am On May 23, 2009
for what i will not allow

(1) (Reply)

Photo Of Late Saudi King Abdullah And His Thirty Wives / Photo:child Looks Confused When He Met His Grandfather's Twin For The First Time / Parents Would You Dress Your Kids This Way ??? (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.