Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,842 members, 7,828,070 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 11:22 PM

Why Are Female Atheist Scarce In Nigeria? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Are Female Atheist Scarce In Nigeria? (2054 Views)

Do Female Atheist Exist In Nigeria? / Reasons We Female Atheist Don't Come Out / Why Are Female Atheist Scarce In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Female Atheist Scarce In Nigeria? by donnffd(m): 7:41pm On Oct 19, 2015
I have never met a female Nigerian atheist online or offline, which got me thinking whether they are scared of coming out or what, it could also be that I am just unlucky...
Re: Why Are Female Atheist Scarce In Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:53pm On Oct 19, 2015
You know, we ladies and coming out of a closet... cheesy...not the best combination
No sstress, we are still busy with dressing up with the right arguments...but soon we will come and rule the party ;-)
Just keep faith (or whatever equivalent that expression has in the atheist universe) and get ready!
Re: Why Are Female Atheist Scarce In Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:55pm On Oct 19, 2015
Is being an atheist as female a good thing? undecided
Re: Why Are Female Atheist Scarce In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:11pm On Oct 19, 2015
Op you may claim atheism but remember your life was built on the foundation of your previous religion which still have impact in running your life.
Re: Why Are Female Atheist Scarce In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:13pm On Oct 19, 2015
Well I know few on a certain facebook atheist page I follow and I also know a handful of them here on nairaland, one time I got one to add me up on bbm, just for us to think alike, she was really on my intelligent level and fun to chat with, but I realized atheist ladies don't come out openly as much as the male because of the already indoctrinated viral minds of Nigerians at large which their potential husband is among and talking anti-god publicly might get them in an unfortunate position of not getting married.

For example---can an intelligent and smart atheist lady get married to that delude dude above my comment with the thrash he put out, without them not having religion issues? So that's why them ladies try to be conservative with their religious thought.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Female Atheist Scarce In Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:42am On Oct 20, 2015
@aaronson...so you think that a smart/intelligent lady will tune down her ideas in order to (make a chance to) get married?
AHUM....like being married is such a privilege that one has to sacrifice one's freedom of believing for it? I don't think any smart/intelligent lady would do that, and if she does she is probably not smart/intelligent but rather pragmatic.

Maybe you have to accept that there are also smart/intelligent ladies who do believe in God. There are also people who do believe in love...although I see many proves for its non-existence when I look around...

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Female Atheist Scarce In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:06am On Oct 20, 2015
Tufanja:
@aaronson...so you think that a smart/intelligent lady will tune down her ideas in order to (make a chance to) get married?
AHUM....like being married is such a privilege that one has to sacrifice one's freedom of believing for it? I don't think any smart/intelligent lady would do that, and if she does she is probably not smart/intelligent but rather pragmatic.

Maybe you have to accept that there are also smart/intelligent ladies who do believe in God. There are also people who do believe in love...although I see many proves for its non-existence when I look around...
Ma'am I would be the greatest liar if I admit to getting you point.
Re: Why Are Female Atheist Scarce In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:44am On Oct 20, 2015
aaronson:

Euhm, I am not a madam but a lady. Just for your information.

If you don't get the point you should wonder how intelligent/smart you are tongue. I think it is pretty arrogant to presume that only atheists can be smart/intelligent. But if that were to be correct...then it is faulty to presume that because you are an atheist you are smart/intelligent by definition. Some basic course of reasoning would do you well.
Re: Why Are Female Atheist Scarce In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:10am On Oct 20, 2015
Tufanja:

Euhm, I am not a madam but a lady. Just for your information.

If you don't get the point you should wonder how intelligent/smart you are tongue. I think it is pretty arrogant to presume that only atheists can be smart/intelligent. But if that were to be correct...then it is faulty to presume that because you are an atheist you are smart/intelligent by definition. Some basic course of reasoning would do you well.
First off, I apologise for being too intelligent not to understand your earlier post because I needed a recap to ascertain the level of your ignorance.

Second of all, I never was and will be arrogant enough to admit atheists such as me are much more smarter/intelligent than theists/believers because knowledge is too subjective to be objectively measured. However, the true knowledge of my ignorance by me, outdoing my denial, believing in disbelief is the context where I draw my inner strength to manipulate weak minds who happens to be theists/believers and that's same reason you perceive me to be smart/intelligent.
Re: Why Are Female Atheist Scarce In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:36am On Oct 20, 2015
aaronson:
First off, I apologise for being too intelligent not to understand your earlier post because I needed a recap to ascertain the level of your ignorance.

Second of all, I never was and will be arrogant enough to admit atheists such as me are much more smarter/intelligent than theists/believers because knowledge is too subjective to be objectively measured. However, the true knowledge of my ignorance by me, outdoing my denial, believing in disbelief is the context where I draw my inner strength to manipulate weak minds who happens to be theists/believers and that's same reason you perceive me to be smart/intelligent.

I don't think anybody will perceive this your write up as smart/intelligent but rather as the wobbling of an areaboy.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Female Atheist Scarce In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:05pm On Oct 20, 2015
Tufanja:

I don't think anybody will perceive this your write up as smart/intelligent but rather as the wobbling of an areaboy.
In standard english grammar, There is actually no such thing as 'areaboy', its called thug, With that I can honestly admit you twice smarter/intelligent than I am.
Re: Why Are Female Atheist Scarce In Nigeria? by omoelu1(m): 12:29pm On Oct 20, 2015
Victimization and stigma
Re: Why Are Female Atheist Scarce In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:37pm On Oct 20, 2015
aaronson:
In standard english grammar, There is actually no such thing as 'areaboy', its called thug, With that I can honestly admit you twice smarter/intelligent than I am.

Your style confirms the label I used. But we will have some compassion with your inferiority complex. By the time you consider to move from manipulating weak minds to strong minds, wake us up.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Female Atheist Scarce In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:43pm On Oct 20, 2015
Back to the OP's topic. I think the reason why atheist ladies don't show their real face here has a lot to do with the tone of the debate, the style, attitude and personality of the debaters. Unfortunately enough for us ladies, a lot of male atheists have something in common (that has nothing to do with atheism) that makes them not attractive at all to exchange ideas with. It's a bad advertisement for atheism. This also counts for some believers on this forum by the way.
Re: Why Are Female Atheist Scarce In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:51pm On Oct 20, 2015
Tufanja:

Your style confirms the label I used. But we will have some compassion with your inferiority complex. By the time you consider to move from manipulating weak minds to strong minds, wake us up.
Ha Ha, I thought you were even smart/intelligent, you not half it, Well, again they don't label human being but objects, human is been tag/tagged, your grammar construction and vocabulary building is poor, do work on it.

Last time I checked, I never made mention of any of my personal insecurity and we not discussing personality traits, logically, Inferiority complex you wrote about is off topic and I wish to see the look of cluelessness on your face now.
Re: Why Are Female Atheist Scarce In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:07pm On Oct 20, 2015
Tufanja:
Back to the OP's topic. I think the reason why atheist ladies don't show their real face here has a lot to do with the tone of the debate, the style, attitude and personality of the debaters. Unfortunately enough for us ladies, a lot of male atheists have something in common (that has nothing to do with atheism) that makes them not attractive at all to exchange ideas with. It's a bad advertisement for atheism. This also counts for some believers on this forum by the way.

correction one; you can't ascertain people's attitude and personality on a public forum such as nairaland and even in reality it takes time to figure out real personality traits of people because of pretence,corny and slicky nature of human.

Secondly; As regard atheist males have same thing in common that has nothing to do with atheism, question is, what is it we have in common?
Re: Why Are Female Atheist Scarce In Nigeria? by donnffd(m): 5:32pm On Oct 20, 2015
Tufanja:

I would love to know this common theme, lol, but I believe coming out is a matter of choice and the calibre of personalities around you, some atheists never speak of their atheisim while others are very vocal, I personally haven't told anyone close to me.
Re: Why Are Female Atheist Scarce In Nigeria? by donnffd(m): 5:38pm On Oct 20, 2015
elijah2u:
Op you may claim atheism but remember your life was built on the foundation of your previous religion which still have impact in running your life.

You are very correct, Christianity did impact me alot,II dare not deny the fact, but that doesn't mean it is true or any religion for that matter, being a Christian doesn't necessarily mean you are a good person, and being an atheist doesn't mean you are a bad person without morals, its just personality, after all Hitler was a Christian and Gandhi was a Hindu
Re: Why Are Female Atheist Scarce In Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:21pm On Oct 20, 2015
donnffd:

I would love to know this common theme, lol, but I believe coming out is a matter of choice and the calibre of personalities around you, some atheists never speak of their atheisim while others are very vocal, I personally haven't told anyone close to me.

Yeah, probably the common theme is to be found in the too vocal one's ;-)...they often only hear themselves ;-).

It is always more interesting to find out the deeper drivers and thoughts of someone in a close-to-heart conversation, rather than seeing it forced through your throat. Whispering is also more sexy than shouting ;-).
Re: Why Are Female Atheist Scarce In Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:39pm On Oct 20, 2015
aaronson:
Ha Ha, I thought you were even smart/intelligent, you not half it, Well, again they don't label human being but objects, human is been tag/tagged, your grammar construction and vocabulary building is poor, do work on it.

Last time I checked, I never made mention of any of my personal insecurity and we not discussing personality traits, logically, Inferiority complex you wrote about is off topic and I wish to see the look of cluelessness on your face now.

1) wrong, "label" is used correctly here. Please look it up. By the way, thanks for reading all my contributions and for making an analysis of my intelligence and language use. Nobody is flawless in english, but you are really seeing the mote in your sisters eye without noticing the beam in your own. I m fluent in 3 other foreign languages, so if you prefer we can shift language so that we can keep on topic.

2) read back your postings and notice how you constantly try to profile yourself by mentioning smartness and intelligence...you are also mentioning "manipulating weak minds"...it all betrays and radiates an inferiority complex and a desire to make yourself count, to profile yourself as belonging to the smart ones, the intellectual atheists... On top of this, you found it relevant to judge me on smartness and intelligence, to position me lower than you, like I care. Sorry, I don't.
Re: Why Are Female Atheist Scarce In Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:41pm On Oct 20, 2015
aaronson:
correction one; you can't ascertain people's attitude and personality on a public forum such as nairaland and even in reality it takes time to figure out real personality traits of people because of pretence,corny and slicky nature of human.

Secondly; As regard atheist males have same thing in common that has nothing to do with atheism, question is, what is it we have in common?

1) partly true, although off point, I just gave a general observation
2) you can research that...just go through all the atheist-items...or let's design a research plan
Re: Why Are Female Atheist Scarce In Nigeria? by bodee(m): 7:44pm On Oct 20, 2015
aaronson:
truly, if you don't get her point, then I think you need some resharpening of your mind.
Re: Why Are Female Atheist Scarce In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:13pm On Oct 20, 2015
Tufanja:

1) wrong, "label" is used correctly here. Please look it up. By the way, thanks for reading all my contributions and for making an analysis of my intelligence and language use. Nobody is flawless in english, but you are really seeing the mote in your sisters eye without noticing the beam in your own. I m fluent in 3 other foreign languages, so if you prefer we can shift language so that we can keep on topic.

2) read back your postings and notice how you constantly try to profile yourself by mentioning smartness and intelligence...you are also mentioning "manipulating weak minds"...it all betrays and radiates an inferiority complex and a desire to make yourself count, to profile yourself as belonging to the smart ones, the intellectual atheists... On top of this, you found it relevant to judge me on smartness and intelligence, to position me lower than you, like I care. Sorry, I don't.

I was really enjoying yo posts till you started the argument ish..
Re: Why Are Female Atheist Scarce In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:34pm On Oct 20, 2015
Djangocode:

I was really enjoying yo posts till you started the argument ish..

Question is who really started it...to be find out by the alert reader.

But I agree on the other part, I don't really fancy "unconstructive" arguments like this either, especially because they always end up off topic and is not interesting for nobody. But sometimes I just can't resist to catch a fish when it's swimming into my mouth...;-)
Re: Why Are Female Atheist Scarce In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:43pm On Oct 20, 2015
Tufanja:

Question is who really started it...to be find out by the alert reader.

But I agree on the other part, I don't really fancy "unconstructive" arguments like this either, especially because they always end up off topic and is not interesting for nobody. But sometimes I just can't resist to catch a fish when it's swimming into my mouth...;-)
Well, I guessed so..
Truth is: Female atheist don't announce emselves anywhere especially in Nigeria where people find it weird..
The notion about marriage being the major force can scarcely be argued.. Personally tho, I don't believe one should sacrifice their inner peace because of fears of Spinster-ship..
Re: Why Are Female Atheist Scarce In Nigeria? by dalaman: 8:55pm On Oct 20, 2015
Because women are more emotional than men, they find the God hypothesis more appealing, there is this father figure that will watch over them, attend to their needs, help them out etc. Women find these things more appealing than men. Women believe in God more than men on average, that is why women flock to pastors and Islamic marabouts more than men in Nigeria.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Female Atheist Scarce In Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:15pm On Oct 20, 2015
Djangocode:

Well, I guessed so..
Truth is: Female atheist don't announce emselves anywhere especially in Nigeria where people find it weird..
The notion about marriage being the major force can scarcely be argued.. Personally tho, I don't believe one should sacrifice their inner peace because of fears of Spinster-ship..

Correct. I don't understand why our society hallows marriages. I hardly see marriages based on the right grounds, neither marriages that inspire me to see the added value of marriage.

It is very wrong that our society talks degrading about women who had the heart and mind to chose for not being locked up in an unhappy marriage or to settle with the wrong person for the wrong reasons. It is more difficult to not get married than to get married after all! Don't know any lady who didn't get different proposals over the years!

It seems like the only purpose of a woman's life in Nigeria is marriage. If not...we pity her and see her as a miserable spinster. But I really pity everyone who settled for less than what he/she is worth it. Because losing your inner peace and your freedom to be and to become who you are meant to be really has no price.
Re: Why Are Female Atheist Scarce In Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:27pm On Oct 20, 2015
Tufanja:

Correct. I don't understand why our society hallows marriages. I hardly see marriages based on the right grounds, neither marriages that inspire me to see the added value of marriage.

It is very wrong that our society talks degrading about women who had the heart and mind to chose for not being locked up in an unhappy marriage or to settle with the wrong person for the wrong reasons. It is more difficult to not get married than to get married after all! Don't know any lady who didn't get different proposals over the years!

It seems like the only purpose of a woman's life in Nigeria is marriage. If not...we pity her and see her as a miserable spinster. But I really pity everyone who settled for less than what he/she is worth it. Because losing your inner peace and your freedom to be and to become who you are meant to be really has no price.

Sound Points you've just placed..
Sometimes I wonder too.. I think its just a Misplaced Priority to some women..
They stop so many things they love to do just for the sake of people talking..

I had a lady-friend that once said: "Hey, am tired of this church ish, tired of religion and erything concerning it".. I asked her why she still attends her church thrice a week, and to my greatest shock, she said: "Dear, don't you want me to get married? That people's opinion of her will change if she stops attending church services"...

I then noticed one thing that really don't change about women in Nigeria:
"They believe so much in other people's opinion of em"..
Re: Why Are Female Atheist Scarce In Nigeria? by Stillfire: 9:30pm On Oct 20, 2015
Lmao, a Nigerian atheist...don't know why I always find that funny. grin

aaronson:
Well I know few on a certain facebook atheist page I follow and I also know a handful of them here on nairaland, one time I got one to add me up on bbm, just for us to think alike, she was really on my intelligent level and fun to chat with, but I realized atheist ladies don't come out openly as much as the male because of the already indoctrinated viral minds of Nigerians at large which their potential husband is among and talking anti-god publicly might get them in an unfortunate position of not getting married.
For example---can an intelligent and smart atheist lady get married to that delude dude above my comment with the thrash he put out,
without them not having religion issues? So that's why them ladies try to be conservative with their religious thought.

I find this absurd as much as Tufanja does. Why should a smart and intelligent woman be worried about if she can select a husband from a populace that don't believes in what she believes in? I would expect she seeks a partner from like-minded persons i.e. atheists. Besides, shouldn't the statistics at this rate favor her considering female atheists being few compared to the males?

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Female Atheist Scarce In Nigeria? by HCpaul(m): 9:34pm On Oct 20, 2015
See how only two people invade a single thread. Well, the lady is more intelligent though.
Re: Why Are Female Atheist Scarce In Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:00pm On Oct 20, 2015
Stillfire:
Lmao, a Nigerian atheist...don't know why I always find that funny. grin

I find this absurd as much as Tufanja does. Why should a smart and intelligent woman be worried about if she can select a husband from a populace that don't believes in what she believes in? I would expect she seeks a partner from like-minded persons i.e. atheists. Besides, shouldn't the statistics at this rate favor her considering female atheists being few compared to the males?
and so what's the difference between my opinion and yours?
Re: Why Are Female Atheist Scarce In Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:04pm On Oct 20, 2015
bodee:
truly, if you don't get her point, then I think you need some resharpening of your mind.
look before you leap, go down the conversation and ascertain the essence for that quote you replied and determine how ignorant you really are.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Evolution Professor Converts To Christianity After Being Challenged By A Student / Eziza And Oka ~ Orunmila Divination / Why Do Atheist And Devilist Attack Only Christianity??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.