Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,291 members, 7,836,279 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 02:04 AM

That Spiri-spiri Experience. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / That Spiri-spiri Experience. (2145 Views)

Living In An Apartment Built With Evil Money, Are There Any Effects On Our Spiri / Chaplet Prayer To The Holy Spiri / Which Church In Nigeria Does Not Frown At African Traditional Worships Yet Spiri (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

That Spiri-spiri Experience. by Nobody: 7:59pm On Oct 19, 2015
The Holy Spirit Experience

Special church programs come up every beginning of the year and to everyone or every church it has a particular/different meaning, but the common meaning is to hand the new year into God's hand to make it better than the last.

Well, it was the start of the year 2012 and guess what?! I was going to turn 18! How sweet was that? Mind you, it was heck a great big deal to me. I didn't have the privilege to do a lot of things I wanted to do in my house because of how old I was, courtesy of my father.

Although I had lost him (my father) in October 2011, still, I had this mental restriction from doing things he already asked me not to do; by the way, my father was a disciplinarian I feared and hated him with passion then (but right now, I'm grateful for who my father was, not entirely though - I got to understand that he didn't know any better way to handle some issues with us, his children, when I heard of his childhood stories with his own father, my grand father), we all know the African parent thing nau....

My church held one of those beginning of the year programs that included fasting that year, and I didn't want to attend for some reasons: work was number one for me as church service begins at six (pm), I was doing a 9 to 6 then, I wasn't fasting or more like I didn't want to fast, and also in my mind, the long hours of prayers, I didn't want to get caught up doing something as boring as that. And by the way, I already had plans for the year for myself (c'mon! There were a lot of things I was going to do for the first time), all the exciting and wild adventures I'd fantasised, there was definitely no getting in the way of that.

Few weeks into January the program was coming to a conclusion and they were done with the fast and it was the final day of the program. I came back from work that day and urgently wanted to see a friend that stays quite close to church, still in the outfit I wore to work I went over to her place (you have to know that till tomorrow I don't think I'll be able to remember why I so urgently wanted to see that friend that day after I came back from work).

On getting there I met my friend with our assistant choir mistress - oh heck! I cursed under my breathe. What is she doing her? I wasn't happy to find her there because I knew she was going to drag me to church. Which she eventually did.

In church my favourite spot was already taken and everywhere around it was occupied, I then had to sit where the older women sat.

Service was already half way through. The pastor was preaching on a topic I remember has something to do with "GREATNESS." Because of where I was sitting I had to act like I was paying attention to what the preacher was saying. But then, I actually started listening to the message. In no time the message was over and I thought it was the shortest message ever on a pulpit (actually it wasn't I was so engrossed I didn't realise when time past).

After, we had to say some prayer points before the offering and finally, close for the day. And for the first time I was willing to pray out loud (mind you! not shout) because I thought I had something meaningful to say to God.

I was praying until I had nothing to say anymore, and then under my breathe, this time, I started praising God, calling him all the names I could think of and what I think he means to me with the understanding I had. I went on with that for a while until I started feeling high.

High, in the sense that, I started saying things in the way I had never said them before and this time around I shouted everything out to the hearing of everyone in church, the more I said them out loud the better it felt within. It felt like I was high on some drugs - maybe like an overdose of adrenaline. The more the words kept coming. I would say phrases like "you're awesome, you're marvellous, you're great" with all the passion I had and at that point, it made a lot of sense to me and meaning.

All of a sudden I wanted to scream, shout, jump up and down, run around hold somebody and shake them vigorously, and just maybe they would feel the way I felt just then.

While somewhere in my head - a voice was saying " An-tone-niya behave! Behave! Don't let them think you're possessed or something, see how nicely dressed you're - do you want to soil you gown? And those guys, they're going to think you're one of those religious fanatic!" All this and more reasons went on in my head.

But I just wasn't in control of my whole being!

I couldn't hold myself - oh how I fought, I fought the feeling, the knowledge and the dreaded thought that I might speak in tongues if whatever was going on with me continued (because I didn't take seriously those who speak in tongues, I still don't), I fought until I became tired, or not really tired, but losing total control of my body, but I kept jumping up and down, screaming and shouting and it felt like the best thing to do at that particular time. Before I gave in and the ground didn't seem that far from me anymore.

I realised I was rolling on the floor. Scared, frighten and overwhelmed. I felt so guilty I started crying, I thought God came down to punish me for my sin - oh no! That wasn't the reason, I understood that quickly.

Then why!? Why is he doing these to me? My palms were sweaty, I couldn't feel my legs (maybe if I'd been able to feel my legs, I would have ran of church).

I was still on the floor; now rolling form side to side and later came to rest lying face up but still shivering, and then suddenly I became calm. Before, it felt like I was ploughed into this pool but then I resurfaced and was lying on this hard-cold concrete floor.

I lay down there for a while, after I was calm and all, just to make sure I'm able to carry myself up again. And if the whole experience was over.

When I was able to stand up, the offering was already going on. I felt really light weighted, so light I thought if some sort of breeze blew, I would be blown away. I also felt calm....

I use to think people that went into "the spirit" were faking it and making a joke out of the things of God. Not until it happened to me. Although there're still pretenders and clowns that are high on marijuana out there making their life a medium for the devil to use: so are there still spirit filled believers working wonders in the name of Jesus Christ.

I never wanted to go to into "the spirit" because I thought People living in "the spirit" led a boring, bad dress sense-fashion-less, colourless and weirdly restricted life. But I live in "the spirit" now, and as-far-as I can tell I don't live a boring life.

After that encounter, so many things that seemed important to me back then, weren't that important anymore. I've had a couple more experience after this one. Some in my quiet time and most, in the gathering of believers. This leaves me with the understanding that I can't look for God anywhere but in my heart, when I acknowledge him for who he is.....

Not in any religion, philosophy, reason, logic, experiment, idea and what-have-you of human capacity. I know that, just like he's able to reveal himself to me, he wants to do the same to every human being out there. And like Moses I wish these for everyone.

Numbers 11:25-29

Btw: I got a revelation in the process, just that its confidential and I would like to keep it that way.....

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: That Spiri-spiri Experience. by cold(m): 11:09pm On Oct 19, 2015
Hmm..interesting read. Anyways i'm averse to religion or any of that spiri-spiri stuff. But if it makes you a better person then good for you.

2 Likes

Re: That Spiri-spiri Experience. by Seun(m): 6:45pm On Oct 22, 2015
@thoniameek: How hungry were you when this happened to you? When last had you eaten and what time was it? It's not clear from your story.

8 Likes 4 Shares

Re: That Spiri-spiri Experience. by Sveen: 6:53pm On Oct 22, 2015
Well I'm not that religiously inclined to go into the spirit world. So, I can't say if it's real or not.
Re: That Spiri-spiri Experience. by pbs4real(m): 7:05pm On Oct 22, 2015
*sighs*
Re: That Spiri-spiri Experience. by winner01(m): 7:11pm On Oct 22, 2015
Some feelings one cant just explain. May God continually be with you Thonia.

1 Like

Re: That Spiri-spiri Experience. by wman(m): 8:00pm On Oct 22, 2015
Seun:
@thoniameek: How hungry were you when this happened to you? When last had you eaten and what time was it? It's not clear from your story.

grin grin grin grin
Re: That Spiri-spiri Experience. by bstringz(m): 8:14pm On Oct 22, 2015
Seun:

Is this suppose to be funny? I expect better from the owner of nairaland. At least if you don't believe in spiritual things you could have as well not post anything. You trying to mock God?

Very disappointed.

2 Likes

Re: That Spiri-spiri Experience. by Adortem: 8:38pm On Oct 22, 2015
bstringz:

Is this suppose to be funny? I expect better from the owner of nairaland. At least if you don't believe in spiritual things you could have as well not post anything. You trying to mock God?

Very disappointed.
Yes,he obviously doesn't believe it.
Re: That Spiri-spiri Experience. by Adortem: 8:42pm On Oct 22, 2015
I can relate with what the OP wrote,I have had a number of encounters and if you haven't had such experience,it would be difficult to understand. All I can say is Jesus Christ is real and the manifest presence of God is definately with us.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: That Spiri-spiri Experience. by nnamdiosu(m): 11:17pm On Oct 22, 2015
You're not alone brother . during prayer i felt like a ball of fire on my chest giving me joy unspeakable. then I knew that there is a big diff between happiness and joy. joy is greater you feel power , boldness, forgiven , cleansed etc God is soooo good

1 Like

Re: That Spiri-spiri Experience. by Nobody: 11:50pm On Oct 22, 2015
Seun:
do you ask to believe or to mock? I definitely can't see objectivity in ya post
Re: That Spiri-spiri Experience. by Nobody: 11:56pm On Oct 22, 2015
nnamdiosu:
your not alone brother . during felt like a ball of for hit my chest giving me joy unspeakable. then I knew that there is a big diff between happiness and joy. joy is greater you feel power , boldness, forgiven , cleansed etc God is soooo good
Funny, I feel the same way when I smoke weed.

2 Likes

Re: That Spiri-spiri Experience. by Nobody: 11:56pm On Oct 22, 2015
shyna01:

Well....
Re: That Spiri-spiri Experience. by Nobody: 12:17am On Oct 23, 2015
sonOfLucifer:
Well....
Re: That Spiri-spiri Experience. by DipoDee: 8:45am On Oct 23, 2015
Seun:

Bro, get sense small now. Just small pls

2 Likes

Re: That Spiri-spiri Experience. by Seun(m): 9:21am On Oct 23, 2015
shyna01:
She said, "I felt really light weighted, so light I thought if some sort of breeze blew, I'd be blown away." That's how I feel when I'm hungry.

I'd also like to ask if she's an emotional person, for example, does she cry easily e.g. after experiencing a sad movie or a beautiful song/poem?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: That Spiri-spiri Experience. by cold(m): 11:46am On Oct 23, 2015
Seun:

She said, "I felt really light weighted, so light I thought if some sort of breeze blew, I'd be blown away." That's how I feel when I'm hungry.

I'd also like to ask if she's an emotional person, for example, does she cry easily e.g. after experiencing a sad movie or a beautiful song/poem?
Epic grin

1 Like

Re: That Spiri-spiri Experience. by 4C2215131: 1:03pm On Oct 23, 2015
bstringz:

Very disappointed.

Is the 'owner' of Nairaland not a human being. Why can't he just comment like any other bloke here. Shush it!
Re: That Spiri-spiri Experience. by 4C2215131: 1:09pm On Oct 23, 2015
Seun:

Spiritual rapture comes to anyone in any spiritual worship experience that is open to it. While it can be debated if anything really supernatural informed the experience, there is a feeling of something actually spiritual from those that experience it. From voodoo to ceremonial magick people do go into trance and stuff.

While it may seem absurd to others, most of the victims of these spiritual 'high' truly believe they experienced something and to me that's what really matters if it makes them better persons then I pray they should fall into such state everyday lol.
Re: That Spiri-spiri Experience. by Nobody: 1:23pm On Oct 23, 2015
Seun:

and what percentage of females aren't emotional?
Re: That Spiri-spiri Experience. by K9blunt(f): 2:24pm On Oct 23, 2015
bstringz:

Very disappointed.

he is a human being with thinking faculty, you should've read what he typed with an objective mind. he has a point with his questions. what if her body was reacting to hunger and remember our bodies work differently and mysteriously.

jeez................
Re: That Spiri-spiri Experience. by UjSizzle(f): 2:37pm On Oct 23, 2015
Seun:
Very funny grin

I'm sure an adult can tell when they're hungry and when they just had a spirit-filled divine experience.

Glad you met Him for yourself OP.

3 Likes

Re: That Spiri-spiri Experience. by bstringz(m): 4:34pm On Oct 23, 2015
4C2215131:

Is the 'owner' of Nairaland not a human being. Why can't he just comment like any other bloke here. Shush it!

Yes and that's why more is expected from him. He can comment but he shouldn't comment like what he did back there.
You expect more from Buhari not because he is a Nigerian but because he Is The president.. Get it??
Don't quote me if you can't think reasonably.

1 Like

Re: That Spiri-spiri Experience. by bstringz(m): 4:40pm On Oct 23, 2015
K9blunt:

he is a human being with thinking faculty, you should've read what he typed with an objective mind. he has a point with his questions. what if her body was reacting to hunger and remember our bodies work differently and mysteriously.

jeez................

I Don't think it's our place to be objective with what someone just shared with an honest open mind. This is how we discourage people from sharing things like this.
I think if she was hungry she would have said it in her post. Just because you haven't had that kinda experience doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

And even if one don't believe in it... Then I think it's best the person just ignores the post than to post something so derogatory as that.. If that was suppose to be humorous then am sorry it's a failed attempt at humour. Let's be reasonable for once. Now with that kinda "objectivity" do you guys think she would share stuff like dis again.
Plus this is the religion part of this forum right?? Then she has every right to post her "spiritual" experience here without unnecessary subjection to objective thinking. Thank you.

3 Likes

Re: That Spiri-spiri Experience. by K9blunt(f): 5:17pm On Oct 23, 2015
bstringz:

I Don't think it's our place to be objective with what someone just shared with an honest open mind. This is how we discourage people from sharing things like this.
I think if she was hungry she would have said it in her post. Just because you haven't had that kinda experience doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

And even if one don't believe in it... Then I think it's best the person just ignores the post than to post something so derogatory as that.. If that was suppose to be humorous then am sorry it's a failed attempt at humour. Let's be reasonable for once. Now with that kinda "objectivity" do you guys think she would share stuff like dis again.
Plus this is the religion part of this forum right?? Then she has every right to post her "spiritual" experience here without unnecessary subjection to objective thinking. Thank you.

true she has every right am not disputing that,

but you don't know why seun asked such question, the lady came back from work, did not relax or take water to ease of some of the stress she had at work but in her work clothes went to her friend's place to see her for no reason,

how are you sure she did not have a reaction from exhaustion, or she was going through shock?

I am tired I would've engaged you in this topic, but FYI. even though you are a believer of spiritual things you have to be objective before accepting a story hook line and sinker........if not I wonder how it would be if you're to solve a case of sudden death, you'll be quick to say "god giveth, god taketh" when it would've been a simple but serious case of ulcer, or heart attack.

smh
Re: That Spiri-spiri Experience. by bstringz(m): 5:48pm On Oct 23, 2015
K9blunt:

true she has every right am not disputing that,

but you don't know why seun asked such question, the lady came back from work, did not relax or take water to ease of some of the stress she had at work but in her work clothes went to her friend's place to see her for no reason,

how are you sure she did not have a reaction from exhaustion, or she was going through shock?

I am tired I would've engaged you in this topic, but FYI. even though you are a believer of spiritual things you have to be objective before accepting a story hook line and sinker........if not I wonder how it would be if you're to solve a case of sudden death, you'll be quick to say "god giveth, god taketh" when it would've been a simple but serious case of ulcer, or heart attack.

smh

I myself I don't believe in every spiritual thing I come across I have seen people in church throw themselves up and hit the ground just to deceive people and their pastor. Am not saying I believe hers either... But I believe she's free to post whatever experience she had in this section without this unnecessary objective views.

You people should just learn to let people be and enjoy their experiences.
Re: That Spiri-spiri Experience. by Nobody: 7:22pm On Oct 23, 2015
Seun:

Nah.... I worked as an office assistant in one of those branches of stallion group limited - tax office precisely not any of their warehouses.

What I do basically back then was clean the desk of the Indians, serve them or any of their guest tea/coffee, run errands to banks and did some little paper work. If I'm not doing any of that, I'm sleeping or browsing nairaland grin

And because we had tea materials that were in my care, I had tea and bread every morning before lunch, and before I close from work each day I take a cup of milk....

Every work day was like that. Some days I sleep till when I'm about to close

So, I wasn't hungry or fatigue as you'd thought.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: That Spiri-spiri Experience. by Wenebadu(f): 7:55pm On Oct 23, 2015
The experience is REAL ama witness

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

History: Muslim Siege Of Jerusalem Part 1 / Website To Create Online Quizzes And Tests For Religious Purposes / Checkout This Viral Photo Of A Catholic Mother Hugging A Muslim Full Hijab Woman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.