Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,590 members, 7,827,217 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 09:00 AM

Who Is Your Favourite Reggae Artiste? - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Who Is Your Favourite Reggae Artiste? (1479 Views)

The Best Reggae Artiste In Nigeria / Djey James – Reggae Blues Night [da Mixtape] / Who Sang This Reggae Song? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Is Your Favourite Reggae Artiste? by Nobody: 10:02pm On Oct 19, 2015
Although I am a faithful reggae fan, my love for reggae is not extended to contemporary reggae artistes because I believe they are skewed representation of the reggae genre. So I'll like you to choose your favourite reggae artiste from the Big Four. Here they are:

1. Robert Nesta Marley ( Bob Marley): Bob Marley's reputation precedes and proceeds him. He is the standard bearer of reggae. He needs no introduction; he's reggae. Some of his well-known songs are:
* One Love
* No Woman, No Cry
* Three Little Birds
* Redemption Song
* Africa Unite

2. Winston Hubert McIntosh (Peter Tosh): Relatively less known, Peter Tosh's genius has never been rightly measured; he is absolutely underrated. I consider him to be the perfect definition of reggae. His well-known songs are:
* Bush Doctor
* Equal Rights
* No Nuclear War
* Reggaemylitis
* Johnny B. Goode

3. Jimmy Cliff: Jimmy Cliff is unique: of the Big Four, he has the finest and sweetest voice; his beat, sometimes, is hardly the unmistakeable reggae beat; and some of his songs oscillate between reggae and R&B. However, his status as a reggae legend is undisputed. He is the only living legend. Few of his songs are:
* Many Rivers to Cross.
* Vietnam
* You Can Get It If You Really Want
* The Harder They Come

4. Lucky Phillip Dube: Lucky Dube will continue to be remembered as one of the greatest reggae artiste ever. This South African carried the reggae standard longer and farther than any other reggae artiste. He breathed life to reggae after the death of Bob Marley and Peter Tosh. His songs are soothing and balmy; in fact, the healing efficacy of his songs is equal to herbs. He was killed in 2007. Few of his common songs are:
* Slave
* Prisoner
* House of Exile
* Fugitive
* Reggae Is Strong

5. Majek Fasek: Though Majek Fasek is clearly not among the Big Four, his finesse rivals the very best. He is by far the best reggae artiste Nigeria has ever had and perhaps will ever have. He's well-known for:
* Send Down the Rain
* Holy Spirit.

So who is your favourite? Mine is Peter Tosh. His lyrics are deep and thought provoking.

REFERENCE: Ladrang.
Re: Who Is Your Favourite Reggae Artiste? by ammyluv2002(f): 10:11pm On Oct 19, 2015
Lucky Dube the great
Re: Who Is Your Favourite Reggae Artiste? by Nobody: 10:24pm On Oct 19, 2015
ammyluv2002:
Lucky Dube the great
So why do you prefer Lucky Dube? Which of his songs do you like best?
Re: Who Is Your Favourite Reggae Artiste? by ammyluv2002(f): 10:28pm On Oct 19, 2015
Ladrang:

So why do you prefer Lucky Dube? Which of his songs do you like best?
All his songs
"remember me"
"Slave"

He sings from his heart...very powerful songs.

2 Likes

Re: Who Is Your Favourite Reggae Artiste? by Nobody: 11:28pm On Oct 19, 2015
ammyluv2002:
All his songs
"remember me"
"Slave"

He sings from his heart...very powerful songs.

You're right! He is very emotional in his songs. Few of them are based on marital problems like "It Is Not Easy".
Re: Who Is Your Favourite Reggae Artiste? by ZionprinceJahman: 1:02am On Oct 20, 2015
Majek Fashek
Re: Who Is Your Favourite Reggae Artiste? by ZionprinceJahman: 1:05am On Oct 20, 2015
Holy Spirit
Jah Revelation
Religion na Politics are my favorite of his songs .. he gat a new album now (Gangster Rasta)
Re: Who Is Your Favourite Reggae Artiste? by Baroba(m): 7:41am On Oct 20, 2015
Burning spear

You can start with Marcus Garvey, conscious reggae brother..
Re: Who Is Your Favourite Reggae Artiste? by Nobody: 8:36am On Oct 20, 2015
ZionprinceJahman:
Holy Spirit
Jah Revelation
Religion na Politics are my favorite of his songs .. he gat a new album now (Gangster Rasta)

I haven't listened to many of Majek Fasek's songs, but at a time his 'Holy Spirit' was on repeat on my phone for three weeks non-stop. Very few songs can match 'Holy Spirit'. I'll check out his new album.

But I bet you haven't listened to Peter Tosh's tracks that's why you picked Majek.
Re: Who Is Your Favourite Reggae Artiste? by Nobody: 8:41am On Oct 20, 2015
Baroba:
Burning spear
A reggae artiste? Can you share some of his nice songs here?
Re: Who Is Your Favourite Reggae Artiste? by ZionprinceJahman: 1:55pm On Oct 28, 2015
I know Peter Tosh of course....(glass house, Equal right, Moses the prophet, Legalise it, Bush doctor, Burial, No Symphaty ..... lolz..) I have almost all his songs & Biography. (he taught Bob marley d guiter)
but Majek Fashek, Lucky Dube & Evi Eddna Ogholi are still my foward match...They influenced me to be an upcoming Reggae Artist.
Re: Who Is Your Favourite Reggae Artiste? by ZionprinceJahman: 2:04pm On Oct 28, 2015
I love Peter Tosh, I love all Root Reggae Prophet
but try listen to Majek Fashek's .....Holy Spirit, Religion is Politics, So long, I'm not tired, I come from the ghetto, Hey Mr. morning.. etc I'm sure u'll see d difference very clare....Though I was not born all dis time, (1997) . lolz...but thanks to evergreen music/ history. One Love.

1 Like

Re: Who Is Your Favourite Reggae Artiste? by Baroba(m): 5:06pm On Oct 28, 2015
Re: Who Is Your Favourite Reggae Artiste? by Nobody: 9:35pm On Oct 28, 2015
[quote author=ZionprinceJahman post=39448709]I know Peter Tosh of course....(glass house, Equal right, Moses the prophet, Legalise it, Bush doctor, Burial, No Symphaty ..... lolz..) I have almost all his songs & Biography. (he taught Bob marley d guiter)
but Majek Fashek, Lucky Dube & Evi Eddna Ogholi are still my foward match...They influenced me to be an upcoming Reggae Artist.
[/quote

I must confess, you' re a pro in reggae. Seems I've met my superior in the game.

I'm wowwed! It's rare to see 'upcoming' reggae artiste. Have you released any track?
Re: Who Is Your Favourite Reggae Artiste? by ZionprinceJahman: 5:57am On Oct 29, 2015
No superior (lolz)......yea, 3 tracks..
Jah Take Over
Zion People Song
Rule of Law
(17 songs written) but I'm trying to get enough remarks & possible corrections from big Lions b4 realizing... (thanks a lot)
Abt rare Reggae Artists,..I believe there are lots of teenagers in Africa who had seen a lot of wrongs about life, & their hands have been pushed to use d pen on papper with a zeal to write complete sense like Root, but they need just need dat support, (no matter what) I dont know them, but I know they are. (for instance, I wrote RULE OF LAW when I withnessed the jungle justice of 4 young boys of which d youngest is no more dan 14 yrs..this boys were burnt alive to death, with d claim dat dey stole; one of them's mother was even there crying) & dats what Root Reggae is all about.."Sponteneous wish to write about d ills in d society)

SECONDLY; I beleive its not everyone doing music with empty lyrics had d plan to do that, but because most of dem are after money or probably they reasoned dat the masses will not like it, of course majority want danceable beats. So they change their mind & do wat d multitude like.
Peace & love
I greet you
Re: Who Is Your Favourite Reggae Artiste? by Nobody: 1:46pm On Oct 29, 2015
ZionprinceJahman:
No superior (lolz)......yea, 3 tracks..
Jah Take Over
Zion People Song
Rule of Law
(17 songs written) but I'm trying to get enough remarks & possible corrections from big Lions b4 realizing... (thanks a lot)
Abt rare Reggae Artists,..I believe there are lots of teenagers in Africa who had seen a lot of wrongs about life, & their hands have been pushed to use d pen on papper with a zeal to write complete sense like Root, but they need just need dat support, (no matter what) I dont know them, but I know they are. (for instance, I wrote RULE OF LAW when I withnessed the jungle justice of 4 young boys of which d youngest is no more dan 14 yrs..this boys were burnt alive to death, with d claim dat dey stole; one of them's mother was even there crying) & dats what Root Reggae is all about.."Sponteneous wish to write about d ills in d society)

SECONDLY; I beleive its not everyone doing music with empty lyrics had d plan to do that, but because most of dem are after money or probably they reasoned dat the masses will not like it, of course majority want danceable beats. So they change their mind & do wat d multitude like.
Peace & love
I greet you

I agree with you in totality. You're right.

Do you have a link to your songs? I'll like to download them.
Re: Who Is Your Favourite Reggae Artiste? by ZionprinceJahman: 2:56pm On Oct 29, 2015
There's no problem Sir. I'll personally srnd it to you in no time ...pls can I hold your whatsapp no. I'll like reach you. Thanks
Re: Who Is Your Favourite Reggae Artiste? by Nobody: 4:43pm On Nov 01, 2015
ZionprinceJahman:
There's no problem Sir. I'll personally srnd it to you in no time ...pls can I hold your whatsapp no. I'll like reach you. Thanks

I've been quite busy... sorry for keeping you waiting. This is it: 08142462909.

(1) (Reply)

Drake Ft Wizkid One Dance. Still Wandering What Wizkid Sang. / Runtown – Mad Over You (official Video) / Download Mp3 : Dj Coublon – “my Way” Ft. Iyanya [ Free Mp3 Download ]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.