Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,190 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:00 AM

How Much Do International Schools In Nigeria Pay? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How Much Do International Schools In Nigeria Pay? (13943 Views)

Scottfield International Schools Festac Is Recruiting / How Much Does Ferma Nigeria Pay? / Diamond International Schools Massive Recruitment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Much Do International Schools In Nigeria Pay? by Immabels: 3:17pm On May 01, 2009
Hi all,

Can anybody give me an idea of how much the international schools in Nigeria pays, schools such as British International School. I have just been offered an appointment as the head of English Dept in one of the International schools in Nigeria and I have a meeting to negotiate the contract next week. As I am in the U.K, I will like to have an idea of what they will be paying so that I can negotiate fairly.

Hope somebody out there has an idea.

Thanks all.
Re: How Much Do International Schools In Nigeria Pay? by adros84(m): 8:00pm On May 01, 2009
Are u a returning Nigerian or a Briton? I ask because if you are the latter. I will advise you stay in the UK. No amount they [ay you will compensate for the insecurity and discomfort you will meet with here. This is just a friendly tip which you are not bound to take. For salary, ask for five hundred thousand naira (two thousand pounds monthly) minimum. Also ensure you will be provided with a decent accommodation and flight ticket back to the Uk for holidays.
Re: How Much Do International Schools In Nigeria Pay? by Immabels: 11:46am On May 02, 2009
Thanks androsa84: I have been in the UK for 10 years and have been teaching. Got my Qualified Teachers Status and some other teaching qualifications plus my degree. The position comes with accommodation and some other incentives. The main reason for my returning is that my husband works with SCB and they want him to run some project in Nigeria.
I really appreciate your response.
Hope to chat with you some other time.
Cheerio!
Re: How Much Do International Schools In Nigeria Pay? by Akpangbon: 11:57am On May 02, 2009
adros84:

Are u a returning Nigerian or a Briton? I ask because if you are the latter. I will advise you stay in the UK. No amount they [ay you will compensate for the insecurity and discomfort you will meet with here. This is just a friendly tip which you are not bound to take. For salary, ask for five hundred thousand naira (two thousand pounds monthly) minimum. Also ensure you will be provided with a decent accommodation and flight ticket back to the Uk for holidays.

Cheap advice!

What insecurity and discomfort is he/she coming to meet in Nigeria? and how much is Two Thousand Pounds salary per month, you are so cheap.

Poster, why not ask people who work in any of the schools, I am sure your relatives here in Naija can help you in that line!

1 Like

Re: How Much Do International Schools In Nigeria Pay? by Pennywise(m): 12:06pm On May 02, 2009
I am not an English major but sth tells me the title of this thread may need a little tweak.

Thanks for the tweak.
Re: How Much Do International Schools In Nigeria Pay? by Immabels: 12:10pm On May 02, 2009
Hi Akpangbon,
Tx, I have actually called a friend to help find out some facts and also I have been in touch with some other meaningful people. I just thought since am part of this group I could seek counsel from good friends like you lot.
I have a meet with the head of school next Tuesday and I promise not to sell myself cheap!
Thanks a lot.
Re: How Much Do International Schools In Nigeria Pay? by devimcy: 1:37pm On May 04, 2009
hello mrs Immabel u can call +2348063332147 for any emergent information

1 Like

Re: How Much Do International Schools In Nigeria Pay? by beebop(f): 3:52pm On May 04, 2009
kai,

if this is the English you are teaching these poor children, I fear for the pikins
Re: How Much Do International Schools In Nigeria Pay? by Redman44(m): 5:05pm On May 04, 2009
@poster

If you have come this far in securing the job, you should know how much you will be paid if you get the job. Was the salary and work conditions not stated in the advert? Where was the vacancy advertised? We need more information for us to answer you properly. From what I've gathered about these 'International Schools' in Nigeria, you sometimes don't get what you bargained for. I wish you the best. Cheers.
Re: How Much Do International Schools In Nigeria Pay? by NosaHenry(m): 7:01pm On May 04, 2009
Immabels:

Hi Akpangbon,
Tx, I have actually called a friend to help find out some facts and also I have been in touch with some other meaningful people. I just thought since am part of this group I could seek counsel from good friends like you lot.
I have a meet with the head of school[/color][color=#990000] next Tuesday and I promise not to sell myself cheap!
Thanks a lot.

It is disturbing that you are coming to Nigeria with your half baked english to head a department in that discipline. Please try and groom yourself adequately before coming, less the students will rubbish you.
Re: How Much Do International Schools In Nigeria Pay? by monkeyleg: 8:00pm On May 04, 2009
@ Nosa-Henry,

are your comments really necessary? and by the way I fail to see the error in the posters English. This is not a forum to criticize people for asking simple humble questions.

4 Likes

Re: How Much Do International Schools In Nigeria Pay? by UyiIredia(m): 8:25pm On May 04, 2009
4 BIS as far as I can remember between $2000-$7500.
Besides, have u tried checking the websites of these
schools 4 this info. (BIS included)__won't make sense
if they're international schools & don't have quality websites
Re: How Much Do International Schools In Nigeria Pay? by blacksta(m): 8:41pm On May 04, 2009
devimcy:

hello mrs Immabel u can call +2348063332147 for any emergent information

@ Poster

I wil advice not to call any telephone number as i believe you are more than capable in looking for employment yourself. Nigeria is full of scam artists or bleeping opportunists. Google is your friend - " careers in Nigeria " Local newspapers. Be weary of any agencies where you have to part with money before you are offered a job. Try and approach any schools directly. Nigeria is begging for people with skills like yourself.
Re: How Much Do International Schools In Nigeria Pay? by TayoD1(m): 8:51pm On May 04, 2009
@Monkeyleg,

@ Nosa-Henry,

are your comments really necessary? and by the way I fail to see the error in the posters English. This is not a forum to criticize people for asking simple humble questions.
Of course the comments are necessary. I wish her would-be employers will see her written english. This is enough to deny her the appointment. Why should she be given the task of teaching our future leaders how to speak and write english, and she is found wanting in constructing simple sentences. I would withdraw my child from that school if I realise the teachers are this clueless about the topics they teach. Why put so much money to waste? Can you imagine a Professor of Physics unable to state Newton's laws of motion! This is a similar scenario.

If you've failed to see the errors as you stated, then you need to go brush up on your english language as well. Writing the stuff aint the same as speaking it.

1 Like

Re: How Much Do International Schools In Nigeria Pay? by joxiri: 8:52pm On May 04, 2009
her english has got nothing to do with this thread all she asked for was some advice, if you are clueless then dnt comment
Re: How Much Do International Schools In Nigeria Pay? by xavier3(m): 9:01pm On May 04, 2009
joxiri:

her english has got nothing to do with this thread all she asked for was some advice, if you are clueless then dnt comment

xactly wat i had in mind. d poster shouldn't have 2 proof d worthiness of deir degree 2 any1 by blasting vocabs dat wil cause some people 2 start checkn deir dictionary.

1 Like

Re: How Much Do International Schools In Nigeria Pay? by TayoD1(m): 9:03pm On May 04, 2009
joxiri:

Of course I'm clueless that anyone who reads her post will not bat an eye.  How can the country move forward when non qualified people are allowed to be teachers? A recent topic on nairaland discussed how over 250 teachers in Ilorin could not even pass a Primary 4 exam - https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-200154.0.html. Exactly when should we start insisting on some reasonable standards?

1 Like

Re: How Much Do International Schools In Nigeria Pay? by TayoD1(m): 9:08pm On May 04, 2009
xavier3:

xactly wat i had in mind. d poster shouldn't have 2 proof d worthiness of deir degree 2 any1 by blasting vocabs dat wil cause some people 2 start checkn deir dictionary.
The beauty of english sometimes is in its simplicity.  No one is asking for big grammar.  But for someone coming all the way from Europe to teach in Naija, much must be expected. The role of Expatriates is to impact knowledge that indigenes may lack either through inadequate exposure or abilities.  I seriously don't see how this woman fits into that. We might as well go pick teachers in Kwara State for much less.

1 Like

Re: How Much Do International Schools In Nigeria Pay? by xavier3(m): 9:11pm On May 04, 2009
Tayo-D:

@Monkeyleg,
Of course the comments are necessary.  I wish her would-be employers will see her written english.  This is enough to deny her the appointment.  Why should she be given the task of teaching our future leaders how to speak and write english, and she is found wanting in constructing simple sentences.  I would withdraw my child from that school if I realise the teachers are this clueless about the topics they teach. Why put so much money to waste?  Can you imagine a Professor of Physics unable to state Newton's laws of motion! This is a similar scenario.

If you've failed to see the errors as you stated, then you need to go brush up on your english language as well.  Writing the stuff aint the same as speaking it.

people do make typographical mistakes in d rush 2 respond 2 a post or create a thread. just coz u feel lyk completin ur wordz and blastn ur lingua franca so boldy without errorz doesn't mean dat odas who dont do dis r a dunce in english.
i lyk 2 make my wordz funky, does dat make me a dunce? abi if i bgin blast pigeon shey i enta dat category
Re: How Much Do International Schools In Nigeria Pay? by skinless: 9:17pm On May 04, 2009
i beg der no be need to attack prsn cos, as i know make sure you check urself 4bf you check oders ,  if u gt answer to post ,  answer de questn ,  if not leave am . i beg make we all de check our spelln and grama b4 we write am as pple dey to check am
Re: How Much Do International Schools In Nigeria Pay? by TayoD1(m): 9:19pm On May 04, 2009
xavier3:

people do make typographical mistakes in d rush 2 respond 2 a post or create a thread. just coz u feel lyk completin ur wordz and blastn ur lingua franca so boldy without errorz doesn't mean dat odas who dont do dis r a dunce in english.
i lyk 2 make my wordz funky, does dat make me a dunce? abi if i bgin blast pigeon shey i enta dat category
This is not about making words funky nor is it about abbreviations.  Her sentences show some fundamental flaws that goes beyond typographical errors or mispellings as you stated. It's quite alarming that you and others could try and excuse this.  What next but to excuse the 259 teachers from Kwara!

1 Like

Re: How Much Do International Schools In Nigeria Pay? by skinless: 9:35pm On May 04, 2009
@ Tayo-D

mispellings = misspellings
Tayo-D:

The beauty of english = English sometimes is in its simplicity.  No one is asking for big grammar.  But for someone coming all the way from Europe to teach in Naija, much must be expected. The role of Expatriates is to impact knowledge that indigenes may lack either through inadequate exposure or abilities.  I seriously don't see how this woman fits into that. We might as well go pick teachers in Kwara State for much less.
Re: How Much Do International Schools In Nigeria Pay? by TayoD1(m): 9:44pm On May 04, 2009
@skinless,

Tayo-D:

This is not about making words funky nor is it about abbreviations. Her sentences show some fundamental flaws that goes beyond typographical errors or mispellings as you stated. It's quite alarming that you and others could try and excuse this. What next but to excuse the 259 teachers from Kwara!

skinless:

@ Tayo-D

I have the strange feeling that you are the same Immabel with a new username. With just two posts on nairaland attempting to justify your lack of understanding of basic english writing, I may be excused for thinking so.

If you are able to understand the things you read, you will not so much compare my spelling mistake to the fundamental flaw you showed in your writing. I have made my point clear and you can keep switching IDs if it helps you feel better.
Re: How Much Do International Schools In Nigeria Pay? by skinless: 9:48pm On May 04, 2009
@Tayo-D
i am not the same person ,  be careful ,  as we can all point out other ppls mistakes , 

And i am supsurprisedat you have not followed what you believe , "Correct one another in love" , as your comments are a bit hard, rude and demoralising
Re: How Much Do International Schools In Nigeria Pay? by TayoD1(m): 9:53pm On May 04, 2009
skinless:

i am not the same person , be careful , as we can all point out other ppls mistakes ,
A careful look at your style of writing suggests you are not the same Immabel. Afterall, Immabel still showed some understanding of how to use her commas and full-stops. That is not the case with you.

No one can convince me that your use of commas is a mistake. It most certainly is not.
Re: How Much Do International Schools In Nigeria Pay? by xavier3(m): 10:00pm On May 04, 2009
skinless:

@ Tayo-D

nice 1 skinless goes 2 show u Tayo-D u aint no pro in english
even wole shoyinka probably stutters wen he speaks, wich indicates dat hes tryin 2 select his wordz b4 speakn. english is a language without proz
Re: How Much Do International Schools In Nigeria Pay? by skinless: 10:04pm On May 04, 2009
thanks i don't know how to use comas/fullstops and don't know to start my sentence with capitals , me and you dey the same boat , i no sabi use punctuation and you no sabi spell , so y we dey correct other,
Re: How Much Do International Schools In Nigeria Pay? by xavier3(m): 10:07pm On May 04, 2009
abi grin grin
Re: How Much Do International Schools In Nigeria Pay? by skinless: 10:08pm On May 04, 2009
@Tayo-D

by the way "Afterall"  = After all  wink

lol
Re: How Much Do International Schools In Nigeria Pay? by Nobody: 10:13pm On May 04, 2009
There is only one International school in Nigeria.
The only one recognised by the World International schools association.
The International School Ibadan, University of Ibadan.
All the others just adopted "international" and added it to their school titles without any form of accreditation.
Anyway, they don't pay much @ ISI but the teaching used to be the shit.
Re: How Much Do International Schools In Nigeria Pay? by TayoD1(m): 10:14pm On May 04, 2009
@Xavier and skinless,

The difference is that I am not going to head up the English Dept of a school.  And if I do, I am sure the kids will get more for their money.  You two can keep propping up the same mediocrity for all I care. My point is well understood by those who want the best for our schools.  Someone who makes an error in spelling is much differnet from one who shows a fundamental flaw in english writing.

"I am going to shcool today" is much different from "I am go to school today".  The former can be excused, the latter cannot.
Re: How Much Do International Schools In Nigeria Pay? by xavier3(m): 10:20pm On May 04, 2009
skinless:

@Tayo-D

by the way "Afterall"  = After all  wink

lol

Tayo-D wer u dey, come defend urself and al ur grammatical blunders wey skinless don pin point

Tayo-D:

The difference is that I am not going to head up the English Dept of a school.  And if I do, I am sure the kids will get more for their money.

more wetin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Apply For Audit Accounting Academy Intern Recruitment At KPMG / Jumia Group April 2018 Fresh Recruitment (7 Positions) / Please Help Confirm This Interview Invitation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.