Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,289 members, 7,839,430 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 07:00 PM

How Much Do International Schools In Nigeria Pay? - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How Much Do International Schools In Nigeria Pay? (13962 Views)

Scottfield International Schools Festac Is Recruiting / How Much Does Ferma Nigeria Pay? / Diamond International Schools Massive Recruitment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Much Do International Schools In Nigeria Pay? by Akpangbon: 10:11am On May 06, 2009
Tayo- D

You are a kangaroo.
Re: How Much Do International Schools In Nigeria Pay? by Krayola(m): 12:27pm On May 06, 2009
@ Tayo-d,  what do you really have to prove? Someone posted a question,  she was not asking you for a job. If you were sincerely concerned about her command of the English language you could have politely corrected her,  u know, something constructive. And then you read one post and automatically assume that your arrogance had such an impact on the poster, that in shame she created a new user-name just to escape your wrath. Get over yourself,  the only thing more appalling than your arrogance is the conviction with which you defend it.

Since we are making judgments here I suggest you get a little psychotherapy. I think you were over-coerced as a child. You know, your mummy and daddy flogging you for not getting all A1s, and scolding you for not chewing your food long enough, or making you feel like a failure every time you made a honest mistake. Deal with it before you inflict the same punishment on your children and continue this vicious cycle.
Re: How Much Do International Schools In Nigeria Pay? by Akpangbon: 12:42pm On May 06, 2009
Krayola.

Haba - in fact the guy is an headless chicken.
Re: How Much Do International Schools In Nigeria Pay? by TayoD1(m): 2:06pm On May 06, 2009
@Davidylan,

The OP posted only 3 (THREE) times . . . out of the 3 posts you could only pull out ONE CASE where she pluralised wrongly . . . and you call it a "fundamental flaw"?
That is not true. Did you read my post at all. She made the same so-called mistake in the topic. She only corrected it when someone else pointed it out. For someone who is coming from Europe to teach English in Naija, I shudder at what she'll e teaching the kids.

So because she's an english teacher she's expected to write on informal forums with perfect syntax? Are we grading posts now?
No we are not grading posts. I only responded to the person who said it does not really matter. Actually it does in this context. My concern is for the country at large which is why I pointed out the problem Kwara State has with their teachers. You know me, I hate personality clashes. That is why I refrained from actually pointing out the errors until you insisted that I did. My initial response was on a braoder scale that affects nation building.

Precisely what i said. Writing "am" when you meant to write "i'm" is a common mistake. Note also that this only happened ONCE.
Indeed that is wrong. However, it is one of many "mistakes" which makes this whole isue worrisome.

Perhaps you people correcting her need to return to english classes yourselves.
I've never claimed to be perfect at the language. However, I expect someone who intends to teach and be paid to teach the language do a lot better. How many Professors of Physics will you excuse if they can't rightly tell you Newton's laws of motion?

You said and i quote - "there is nothing like you lot" . . . well from the Websters dictionary again - Pipe down, the (whole) lot of you. = Pipe down, you lot.
See where you are wrong. You had to force the use of the phrase into the dictionary meaning. The way it is used is the dictionary is not the same as you've interpreted it. There is nothing like 'you lot'. The proper way to use it is 'the whole lot of you'. Simple.

"Sorry lot" and "bad lot" are NOT used differently like you said . . . the use of the word "lot" is clearly the same in both cases as it refers to a collection of people.
You getting me wrong. It is indeded refering to a collection of people or things. However, 'sorry lot' and 'bad lot' are correct phrases in English, 'you lot' is not.

But you dont know . . . she didnt specify that . . . you're only assuming so as to force your own point.
Of course I know. The sentence is very clear and the word is used as a verb there. Isn't that why you also corrected it by using it rightly in a sentence?

The difference between "meeting" and meet" is whether it is used as a verb or noun or a simple "ing". Common error that the poster could easily rectify. There are worse english blunders out there.
If a teacher of the language does not know how and where to use a word as either a noun or a verb, shows some syntax errors, lacks understanding of a subject-verb agreement, then there is need for concern.

See I understand your point, but you canl clearly see that you are trying too hard to justify her. You've looked at what could be her intentions and ignore what she actually did. I hated having to be specific. I've tried to avoid it until you insisted on specifics.

I hope my general point will not be lost in this. The minister of education in Kwara said a gradual systemic failure has led to the sorry state they have now found themselves with respect to the quality of their teachers. It will be good to be extra careful and vigilante in order to reverse that trend. This is not an indictment of the poster, but it is a call to pay more attention to what and who is teaching what in our schools.
Re: How Much Do International Schools In Nigeria Pay? by TayoD1(m): 2:14pm On May 06, 2009
@Krayola,

Krayola:

@ Tayo-d,  what do you really have to prove? Someone posted a question,  she was not asking you for a job. If you were sincerely concerned about her command of the English language you could have politely corrected her,  u know, something constructive. And then you read one post and automatically assume that your arrogance had such an impact on the poster, that in shame she created a new user-name just to escape your wrath. Get over yourself,  the only thing more appalling than your arrogance is the conviction with which you defend it.

Since we are making judgments here I suggest you get a little psychotherapy. I think you were over-coerced as a child. You know, your mummy and daddy flogging you for not getting all A1s, and scolding you for not chewing your food long enough, or making you feel like a failure every time you made a honest mistake. Deal with it before you inflict the same punishment [b]on your childre[/b]n and continue this vicious cycle.
Solomon wrote in proverbs that a fool will betray his folly just by the way he walks down the street. It is obvious that a fool will also show himself to be one just by the way he uses the internet.

If you had any form of respect for your parents and children (if you have any), you wouldn't be quick to refer to other people's families online. The natural reaction is for me to respond to your tirade by sending you home with insults to your parents as well.  I may have no respect for you, but I'll extend some courtesy to your parents. I will show the descency you lack by not descending to the level of dogs like you.

There you go.  You've suceeded in taking up 60 secs of my time.  I'm sure you know it is 60 seconds more than you deserve.
Re: How Much Do International Schools In Nigeria Pay? by TayoD1(m): 2:22pm On May 06, 2009
@BigBro,

The attitude of some members of this forum is unbecoming and unwholesome and is making the site uninteresting. While it is right to correct somebody where he/she goes wrong, it should'nt be done by way of assulting and castigating the person. arrogance portrays uncivility and illiteracy in a person even if that person claims to be educated. Please let our education manifest in our approach to issues and in the way we interact with one another. Thank you.
If indeed I have shown some arrogance, I apologise.  That was not and never will be my intention. If you've bothered to read my posts up until now, you will see I never was really specific by pointing out the errors until I was pressed to do so. I spoke in a general sense with naija's educational system in mind. I don't think I ever assaulted or castigateD her person, and I will be more than glad if you can point out where I did so I could correct that in my future relationship with others.

However, for those who can't think for themselves and attack my person, I have and will always put them in their place. I will not waste my time responding to their vituperation, but I will surely let them know what I think of them as I have done to two of them so far.
Re: How Much Do International Schools In Nigeria Pay? by Nobody: 2:38pm On May 06, 2009
Tayo-D what is in this for you? What are you out to prove because i honestly strain to find anything of note in your posts.

Tayo-D:

@Davidylan,
That is not true. Did you read my post at all. She made the same so-called mistake in the topic. She only corrected it when someone else pointed it out. For someone who is coming from Europe to teach English in Naija, I shudder at what she'll e teaching the kids.

She made 3 posts here . . . (bar the topic) only ONCE did she pluralise a word wrongly and you've been complaining for the last 3 pages?

Tayo-D:

See where you are wrong. You had to force the use of the phrase into the dictionary meaning. The way it is used is the dictionary is not the same as you've interpreted it. There is nothing like 'you lot'. The proper way to use it is 'the whole lot of you'. Simple.

Out of respect for you . . . i refrain from using the appropriate language to describe this frankly ignorant point above.

I DID NOT FORCE the use of the phrase into the dictionary meaning, i copied the entire meaning from the online Websters dictionary VERBATIM without changing anything. All i did was highlight the important points i thought you shld note. It is interesting that it is YOU who is FORCING your own flatly wrong interpretation into the dictionary . . . the Websters DID NOT include "(whole)" in their interpretation . . . speaks volumes dude.

The way it is used in the dictionary is EXACTLY the way i interpreted it . . . a different meaning for "lot" - all the members of a group of people

Another dictionary here defines it informally as - a number of persons or things regarded as a group

Pipe down, you lot - CORRECT!
Pipe down, the (whole) lot of you - Also CORRECT! "Whole" here being used as an adjective.

Get a dictionary and read before accusing someone else of grammatical errors.

Tayo-D:

You getting me wrong. It is indeded refering to a collection of people or things. However, 'sorry lot' and 'bad lot' are correct phrases in English, 'you lot' is not.

It is dude . . . its ok to say you dont know.

Tayo-D:

Of course I know. The sentence is very clear and the word is used as a verb there. Isn't that why you also corrected it by using it rightly in a sentence?

I repeat - you dont know. Meet can be used as a verb and as a noun . . . why you all are crying that she used it wrongly is simply because you DONT KNOW that it has a meaning as a noun . . . you all simply assumed it was used as a verb and crucified her.

Tayo-D:

If a teacher of the language does not know how and where to use a word as either a noun or a verb, shows some syntax errors, lacks understanding of a subject-verb agreement, then there is need for concern.

Where did she make all these catalogue of errors? From 3 posts of less than 300 words?

Tayo-D:

See I understand your point, but you canl clearly see that you are trying too hard to justify her. You've looked at what could be her intentions and ignore what she actually did. I hated having to be specific. I've tried to avoid it until you insisted on specifics.

you're trying way too hard to justify pointless points too . . . i had to ask for specifics because i know quite a lot of self righteous hypocrites were simply jumping on the bandwagon without understanding why they were complaining. Even you are still huffing and puffing over those "specifics".

Tayo-D:

I hope my general point will not be lost in this. The minister of education in Kwara said a gradual systemic failure has led to the sorry state they have now found themselves with respect to the quality of their teachers. It will be good to be extra careful and vigilante in order to reverse that trend. This is not an indictment of the poster, but it is a call to pay more attention to what and who is teaching what in our schools.

If we start categorising everyone on this forum by how well they speak or write english language then i'd wager 90% are illiterate.
Re: How Much Do International Schools In Nigeria Pay? by TayoD1(m): 2:53pm On May 06, 2009
@Davidylan,

Tayo-D what is in this for you? What are you out to prove because i honestly strain to find anything of note in your posts.
The only thing in it for me is the same thing in it for you - nothing.

She made 3 posts here . . . (bar the topic) only ONCE did she pluralise a word wrongly and you've been complaining for the last 3 pages?
And you've been complaining for what? 2 pages? You will do well to understand that my complaint goes beyoind her. It is about the standard of education in Nigeria. Care anything for that?

Out of respect for you . . . i refrain from using the appropriate language to describe this frankly ignorant point above.
Davidylan, poin out exactly in the dictionary, where the phrase 'you lot' is used the way she/you used it.  It is bad english. Simple. I won't be here repeating the same thing if you stop insisting that it is right.

I DID NOT FORCE the use of the phrase into the dictionary meaning, i copied the entire meaning from the online Websters dictionary VERBATIM without changing anything. All i did was highlight the important points i thought you shld note. It is interesting that it is YOU who is FORCING your own flatly wrong interpretation into the dictionary . . . the Websters DID NOT include "(whole)" in their interpretation . . . speaks volumes dude.
More than the 'whole' the dictionary did not include the sentence you constructed: 'pipe down, you lot'. That is a bad use.   'Pipe down, the (whole) lot of you' is not the same as 'Pipe down, you lot'.  The former is correct, the latter is not.

Another dictionary here defines it informally as - a number of persons or things regarded as a group
Thank you.  I know the meaning of the word.  However, 'you lot' is not how it is meant to be used.
Re: How Much Do International Schools In Nigeria Pay? by Nobody: 2:59pm On May 06, 2009
Tayo-D:

Davidylan, poin out exactly in the dictionary, where the phrase 'you lot' is used the way she/you used it.  It is bad english. Simple. I won't be here repeating the same thing if you stop insisting that it is right.

I already did.

Tayo-D:

More than the 'whole' the dictionary did not include the sentence you constructed: 'pipe down, you lot'. That is a bad use.   'Pipe down, the (whole) lot of you' is not the same as 'Pipe down, you lot'.  The former is correct, the latter is not.
Thank you.  I know the meaning of the word.  However, 'you lot' is not how it is meant to be used.

sigh. I DID NOT CONSTRUCT THE SENTENCE. I copied VERBATIM from the websters dictionary . . . see again -

4 informal a [count] chiefly Brit : all the members of a group of people —usually singular ▪ Do you know the lot [=bunch, crowd] that hang around the arcade? ▪ That lot will never amount to anything! They're a thoroughly bad lot. ▪ Pipe down, the (whole) lot of you. = Pipe down, you lot. ◊In British English, a person who is not liked is sometimes described as a bad lot. ▪ He may be a bit wild, but he's not a bad lot once you get to know him. b the lot : all the things of a group ▪ They sell tuxedos, business suits, casual wear…the lot. ▪ This one's the best of the lot.
Re: How Much Do International Schools In Nigeria Pay? by TayoD1(m): 2:59pm On May 06, 2009
@Davidylan,

Do us a favour. Where is the link?
Re: How Much Do International Schools In Nigeria Pay? by Nobody: 3:06pm On May 06, 2009
Link - http://www.learnersdictionary.com/search/lot

More usage for "you lot" -

1. [url=http://www.hps.com/~tpg/ukdict/index.php?file=ukdict-8]United Kingdom English for the American Novice[/url]
- YOU LOT n. 1. You. This phrase is used exactly as y'all is used in the South. As in, "If YOU LOT think I'm going to wait till you come back from the PUB, you're DAFT."

2. Handbook of word and grammar patterns
Re: How Much Do International Schools In Nigeria Pay? by spikedcylinder: 3:09pm On May 06, 2009
In all honesty, I only found one error in the original post but then again, I am not English sage and I'm in no position to make sardonic statements on the OP's original inquiry.

However, I think it is also valid that some people have raised concerns over the OP's use of English. If she plans to teach children garbage, why should anyone help in allocating a correct "price" for the garbage?
Re: How Much Do International Schools In Nigeria Pay? by TayoD1(m): 3:15pm On May 06, 2009
@davidylan,

Thanks for the link. At least I've learnt one thing today. I have always considered the phrase 'you lot' to be bad english. I'm surprised it is considered good.

To be sure, I checked webster online, and it refrained form using that phrase as well.
Re: How Much Do International Schools In Nigeria Pay? by Nobody: 3:23pm On May 06, 2009
Tayo-D, its primarily used in British English and is not common with Americans which is why many of you thought it was wrong. The OP lives in England, that might explain why she used it.
Re: How Much Do International Schools In Nigeria Pay? by xavier3(m): 3:31pm On May 06, 2009
@ Tayo - D

wont u giv al dis argument a rest. u myt make me consider d fact dat ur seeking attention undecided undecided
Re: How Much Do International Schools In Nigeria Pay? by Krayola(m): 3:57pm On May 06, 2009
Tayo-d,  like I said,  The only thing more appalling than your arrogance is the conviction with which you defend it. Several times you have suggested that the poster needs to "justify" herself. Justify what? Is this some type of tribunal? People now have to answer to you because you are some kind of authority?

So what the poster can't even speak a word of English, she applied for a job, she got it. If you really have a problem it should be directed at the people that hired her. Since when was getting a job a crime? She did not come here to seek your approval, she came here to ask a question.
Re: How Much Do International Schools In Nigeria Pay? by beebop(f): 4:02pm On May 06, 2009
@ daviddylan

Only quickly because I'm already bored with this. To rebut your 'corrections'

1. The word English is always capitalized because it's a proper noun. Look it up
2. Sentence construction is usually: subject. verb. object. 'That's all.' is thus a grammatically correct sentence as was my previous statement. Sure it's colloquial and more of a phrase than a sentence and I wouldn't write it in a dissertation, but for this purpose, it's more than adequate.

I do agree that this is a mountain out of a molehill so this is the last I'm posting on this
Re: How Much Do International Schools In Nigeria Pay? by joxiri: 5:38pm On May 06, 2009
I suppose the oonly good thing that has come out of this argument, is the fact that we do have some brilliant nigerians
If only they will apply themselves constructively
Re: How Much Do International Schools In Nigeria Pay? by douecho: 8:45am On May 07, 2009
£2000 a month!!!!!!!!!! No be lies! even in this 'briton's' country, they wont pay £2000 a month! and which discomfort and insecurity?if it was really so bad, dont be decieved, all the other foreigners would have cut out of the country since.stop selling yourselves short abeg. I have no idea if any international school pays 500k per month,na im be say the likes of mobil,LnG and BG group should not be making mouth about their salary scheme now.see me see trouble o
Re: How Much Do International Schools In Nigeria Pay? by xavier3(m): 6:23pm On May 07, 2009
joxiri:

I suppose the oonly good thing that has come out of this argument, is the fact that we do have some brilliant nigerians
If only they will apply themselves constructively

word!!!
Re: How Much Do International Schools In Nigeria Pay? by borojasper(m): 1:46pm On May 13, 2009
U see na we dey kill ourself, wetin concern black man with English, English no be my mother tongue ohhhh , I be original nwa afor , e na ahota , Oyinbo self wey get the English no even sabi speak am , all they want is understanding and not how u place de useless grammars and vocab, na wetin dem use carry our us go be that and we still dey fall for am, English is just a lingua franca and not our mother-tongue, if u reach middle east Dem no send English and dem no even wan learn am , only few ppl dey speak English there,
Re: How Much Do International Schools In Nigeria Pay? by sley4life(m): 9:43pm On Jul 01, 2009
hundreds of thousands
Re: How Much Do International Schools In Nigeria Pay? by Nikhatj: 8:37am On Sep 10, 2012
Hi,

Can anyone tell me the compensation/salary structure of school teachers in Nigeria? I need to know all the components and their calculation please..

Regards
Nikhat
Re: How Much Do International Schools In Nigeria Pay? by Nobody: 9:56am On Jan 19, 2013
Lmfao, even the poster ran away. I totally support Tayo-D, poster's English is just plane awful, I know so many English first degree holders and they don't mess with English, always speaking simple and correct English.
Re: How Much Do International Schools In Nigeria Pay? by ayemko: 2:59pm On Apr 24, 2013
how much does grange school ikeja pay teachers?
Re: How Much Do International Schools In Nigeria Pay? by Mizquosi: 1:08pm On Jul 03, 2016
The poster spoke like a true Brit. The problem with most Nigerians is, because they don't have anything else going for them they tend to hold on tightly to the little English they know and refuse expand their knowledge. If you're so interested in English Language you should be aware that different countries have variations in how how they speak. Brits say things like 'you lot'; we dont say it in Nigeria but it's not wrong. The way an American would say something won't be the way a British person would. English evolves everyday and you should first confirm that something is wrong before attacking a person who, by the way, was just asking for help and didn't need to be harrased like that. You guys should stop showing yourselves. Abraham Lincoln said that "it is better to be silent and thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt". By opening your mouths, you guys have shown how little you know.

1 Like

Re: How Much Do International Schools In Nigeria Pay? by Mizquosi: 1:25pm On Jul 03, 2016
[quote author=douecho post=3833729]£2000 a month!!!!!!!!!! No be lies! even in this 'briton's' country, they wont pay £2000 a month! and which discomfort and insecurity?

Most companies in the UK pay much more than £2000 per month. For graduate trainees for that matter, not to talk of high administrative positions like the one she's being offered. That position is worth more than £2000 in the UK.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Do I Dress For An Engineering Job Interview? / Nigeria Labour Congress To Close Down Airtel Nigeria Starting Oct 4 2011 / Buhari Should Approve The Recruitment Of 155,000 Police Officers - IGP Idris

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.