Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,352 members, 7,815,719 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:09 PM

I Need A Professional Cv Review - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / I Need A Professional Cv Review (2555 Views)

Jobs and Professional CV: Get your CV review...Get your Job... / Professional CV and Cover Letter Templates For Job Seekers / Please Help!!! Jobberman Cv Review Changed My Name And Phone Number (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Need A Professional Cv Review by engrrichie92(m): 10:40pm On Oct 23, 2015
finished with a second class upper in Electrical ELectronics Engineering...so it definitely has to be my CV that's behind my sparse number of invite for test..my invite for test so far is like two(ignored one,wrote one and passed) compared to the countless number of CVS have sent..and as such gives me serious cause for concern
I believe I can pass any test if only I can just get invite...
help me with professional review of my CV if you can..just drop your email,I'll definitely get to you
Re: I Need A Professional Cv Review by Godmother(f): 11:03pm On Oct 23, 2015
Op, a lot of people may not be comfortable dropping their emails on a public forum cos of scammers and the likes. Why not paste your CV here for direct review. You can change the phone numbers and names and put in dummy so as to protect yourself.

Also, how many applications do you fill online. When I was actively job hunting, I would to send out over 20 applications daily and I would get between 4 to 5 invites weekly. Some of them are these GNLD coys, but a lot of them were genuine. Maybe you need to send out more applications.

1 Like

Re: I Need A Professional Cv Review by engrrichie92(m): 7:35am On Oct 24, 2015
Godmother:
Op, a lot of people may not be comfortable dropping their emails on a public forum cos of scammers and the likes. Why not paste your CV here for direct review. You can change the phone numbers and names and put in dummy so as to protect yourself.

Also, how many applications do you fill online. When I was actively job hunting, I would to send out over 20 applications daily and I would get between 4 to 5 invites weekly. Some of them are these GNLD coys, but a lot of them were genuine. Maybe you need to send out more applications.
thanks ma'am.. i may not be sending up to 20 per day but then i still send quite a lot(though i'll definitely step it up henceforth), and i wonder why i dont get invites as expected
The worst of all is the graduate trainees that i always meet their criteria and yet always get ignored, i just come online and see news of invites...from sahara group, NBC management trainee, accenture, dangote's etc ...had to conclude it has to be my CV then and deem it necessary to cry out for help before i lose more opportunities...this's a demo of my CV and of course names, gmail add, contact address are all fictitional
Heellllp me please

Re: I Need A Professional Cv Review by Godmother(f): 7:44am On Oct 24, 2015
engrrichie92:

thanks ma'am.. i may not be sending up to 20 per day but then i still send quite a lot(though i'll definitely step it up henceforth), and i wonder why i dont get invites as expected
The worst of all is the graduate trainees that i always meet their criteria and yet always get ignored, i just come online and see news of invites...from sahara group, NBC management trainee, accenture, dangote's etc ...had to conclude it has to be my CV then and deem it necessary to cry out for help before i lose more opportunities...this's a demo of my CV and of course names, gmail add, contact address are all fictitional
Heellllp me please

Also, including a cover letter also helps. You could google sample letters and use the format.
Re: I Need A Professional Cv Review by engrrichie92(m): 7:50am On Oct 24, 2015
Godmother:

Also, including a cover letter also helps. You could google sample letters and use the format.
kk ma'am..did you see the CV
Re: I Need A Professional Cv Review by fabiomatic(m): 10:02am On Oct 24, 2015
Godmother:

how do you do that? what's the magic to getting 4-5 invites weekly? can I pm you?
Re: I Need A Professional Cv Review by bodeoni: 11:37am On Oct 24, 2015
Looking at your CV now

1.First thing that caught my eye was the fact that you put your date of birth at the top. I want to believe you have a plan, otherwise please let it come much later.
2.Professional profile? Personally, I prefer a summary of who you are and what your CV holds. This way its personal to you and not just some cliche that is on every CV. For example, "A highly focused and self motivated individual with 2 years of work experience in electrical enginerring with interests in advanced circuit design, seeking opportunities to further expand his professional repertoire in a fast paced environment" something like that
You would need to rewrite the professional profile if you want to keep it. One or two issues with grammar and tense.
3. Why did you decide to put ur Education next? Please before writing a CV, always ask yourself what information will be useful to the person reading it. Your Education is not a selling point especially at entry level. This is because an entry level person will be re-educated most times. For subsequent CVs that you will write please let your education be on the second page unless the recruiter specifically lists education as a major requirement.
4. These skills and competencies should have come in place of education. However stating that you can do smt doesn't hold water. You need to communicate these skills in the form of achievements. State how you have used these skills to solve problems. Follow the PAR approach. That is Problem Action Result.
For example, you say you are highly numerical yet there is only one instance of numbers on you CV... Hope you catch my drift. I could send you a sample CV, send me a mail through my profile.
5. Work experience should also follow the PAR approach.
6. Your interests...not very interesting. These are hobbies not interests. Example of interests - Data collection and analysis etc.
Your CV doesn't show that you are creative writer.

The reason why those companies may have not invited you is probably cos your CV was scanned by a software. These softwares look for keywords. A lot of the CVs we write in this part of the world often get these softwares confused. For example, you are still entry level age but maybe the softwares they use couldn't find your age at the top of the CV. Let every section in your CV have headings.

That been said, here are my final wordwordsbas regards this
1. Delete this CV and forget that you ever had it.
2. Write another CV for the each role u want to apply for taking into cognizance the key words used in the advert. Also take note of what the recruiter is expecting to see and prioritize the info on your CV as such.

Once again, feel free to contact me, just you cos I like the fact that you reached out for help. I dont have any job to give but I can always give my opinion every now and then.

All the best

P.S the gist above may seem a little disjointed, wrote it in a hurry
Re: I Need A Professional Cv Review by Bulcqlay(m): 12:32pm On Oct 24, 2015
bodeoni:
Looking at your CV now

1.First thing that caught my eye was the fact that you put your date of birth at the top. I want to believe you have a plan, otherwise please let it come much later.
2.Professional profile? Personally, I prefer a summary of who you are and what your CV holds. This way its personal to you and not just some cliche that is on every CV. For example, "A highly focused and self motivated individual with 2 years of work experience in electrical enginerring with interests in advanced circuit design, seeking opportunities to further expand his professional repertoire in a fast paced environment" something like that
You would need to rewrite the professional profile if you want to keep it. One or two issues with grammar and tense.
3. Why did you decide to put ur Education next? Please before writing a CV, always ask yourself what information will be useful to the person reading it. Your Education is not a selling point especially at entry level. This is because an entry level person will be re-educated most times. For subsequent CVs that you will write please let your education be on the second page unless the recruiter specifically lists education as a major requirement.
4. These skills and competencies should have come in place of education. However stating that you can do smt doesn't hold water. You need to communicate these skills in the form of achievements. State how you have used these skills to solve problems. Follow the PAR approach. That is Problem Action Result.
For example, you say you are highly numerical yet there is only one instance of numbers on you CV... Hope you catch my drift. I could send you a sample CV, send me a mail through my profile.
6. Your interests...not very interesting. These are hobbies not interests. Example of interests - Data collection and analysis etc.

The reason why those companies may have not invited you is probably cos your CV was scanned by a software. These softwares look for keywords. A lot of the CVs we write in this part of the world often get these softwares confused. For example, you are still entry level age but maybe the softwares they use couldn't find your age at the top of the CV. Let every section in your CV have headings.

2. Write another CV for the each role u want to apply for taking into cognizance the key words used in the advert. Also take note of what the recruiter is expecting to see and prioritize the info on your CV as such.

Once again, feel free to contact me, just you cos I like the fact that you reached out for help. I dont have any job to give but I can always give my opinion every now and then.

All the best

pls can u send me a copy of CV cover sample to this my mail ......davidcenna98765@gmail.com
Re: I Need A Professional Cv Review by engrrichie92(m): 1:36pm On Oct 24, 2015
@bodeoni..thank you so very much for the insight..it's obvious my CV needs complete overhauling ...but sincerely,I'm not completely sure of what to do..so that sample CV would go a long way in guiding me
already sent a pm,please reply as soon as you can sir...thanks for your time
Re: I Need A Professional Cv Review by butanep(m): 1:45pm On Oct 24, 2015
bodeoni:
Looking at your CV now

All the best

This sound interesting.

Please can you send me samples of your Cv forma.

I will appreciate.
Re: I Need A Professional Cv Review by butanep(m): 1:51pm On Oct 24, 2015
bodeoni:
Looking at your CV now

All the best

This sound interesting.

Please can you send me samples of your Cv format.

I will appreciate.
Re: I Need A Professional Cv Review by Godmother(f): 2:24pm On Oct 24, 2015
fabiomatic:
how do you do that? what's the magic to getting 4-5 invites weekly? can I pm you?

No magic, its just a game of number; the more applications you send out, the better your chances of getting invites. At leaset for every 30 applications you send out, you should get 2 serious invites, sometimes more. You just need to subscribe to job websites so they send you regular job vacancies. You can get regular job vacancies from the following sites

careers24.com.ng
ngcareers.com/jobs
/Jobs
joblistnigeria.com
latestnigerianjobs.com
nigerianbestforum.com
careersnigeria.com
etc
Re: I Need A Professional Cv Review by tasceige(m): 2:44pm On Oct 24, 2015
@bodeoni you've done well you know, but please I would love to ask, what are the possible basic things this softwares are after, I know softwares differs depending on job vacancies and opputunities, just wanna know the core basic things... Thanks and God bless
Re: I Need A Professional Cv Review by Dyt(f): 3:25pm On Oct 24, 2015
Godmother:

You can get regular job vacancies from the following sites

careers24.com.ng
ngcareers.com/jobs
/Jobs
joblistnigeria.com
latestnigerianjobs.com
nigerianbestforum.com
careersnigeria.com
etc

These?
I dunno if any ever got invites
Best bet
The company's website
Re: I Need A Professional Cv Review by bodeoni: 4:15pm On Oct 24, 2015
I have actually never used an actual Applicant Tracking Software before, however I have done a little bit of research. The free CV scan/appraisal jobberman was offering and is still offering is actually done by a software and not an actual person. That software gives an idea of what these softwares do and require. Check their site to try it out. It would give you a basic idea of how the system works
Anyways these softwares are programmed with keywords based on individual job requirements. Have you ever applied for a job and got disqualified almost immediately? That was probably a software. Let me try to give an example
This actually happened to friend whom I helped check how much his Cv matched a job requirement. The major requirement for the job was 2 years FMCG marketing experience but he had Durable goods marketing experience in his CV. He got a regret mail only a few minutes after submitting. Basically, the software looked for that key word, didn't find it and rejected his application.
Basically, the software matches the CV or cover letter to the job requirements and does some form of weighting. The recruiter might ask for the best 200 that match. Only these 200 will then go ahead to be scanned by a human being for discrepancies cos the software can be easily deceived.
Other issues relate to formatting, too much formatting can be an issue for ATSs

http://www.quintcareers.com/understanding-applicant-tracking-systems/

Open the article in the link above for detailed information on some common dos and donts when submitting a CV to an ATS

Hope this answers your question

tasceige:
@bodeoni you've done well you know, but please I would love to ask, what are the possible basic things this softwares are after, I know softwares differs depending on job vacancies and opputunities, just wanna know the core basic things... Thanks and God bless
Re: I Need A Professional Cv Review by tasceige(m): 9:07am On Oct 25, 2015
bodeoni:
I have actually never used an actual Applicant Tracking Software before, however I have done a little bit of research. The free CV scan/appraisal jobberman was offering and is still offering is actually done by a software and not an actual person. That software gives an idea of what these softwares do and require. Check their site to try it out. It would give you a basic idea of how the system works
Anyways these softwares are programmed with keywords based on individual job requirements. Have you ever applied for a job and got disqualified almost immediately? That was probably a software. Let me try to give an example
This actually happened to friend whom I helped check how much his Cv matched a job requirement. The major requirement for the job was 2 years FMCG marketing experience but he had Durable goods marketing experience in his CV. He got a regret mail only a few minutes after submitting. Basically, the software looked for that key word, didn't find it and rejected his application.
Basically, the software matches the CV or cover letter to the job requirements and does some form of weighting. The recruiter might ask for the best 200 that match. Only these 200 will then go ahead to be scanned by a human being for discrepancies cos the software can be easily deceived.
Other issues relate to formatting, too much formatting can be an issue for ATSs

http://www.quintcareers.com/understanding-applicant-tracking-systems/

Open the article in the link above for detailed information on some common dos and donts when submitting a CV to an ATS

Hope this answers your question

Yes it does, most definitely, I should thank you for taking much of your time to analyse this.. Thanks once again. Still yet to check the article as at the time am writing this but I know there will be something more helpful...
Re: I Need A Professional Cv Review by bakingsoda: 1:23pm On Oct 25, 2015
Three tips for an attractive CV

A curriculum vitae (CV) is a written overview of a person's experience and other qualifications. A cv is also called a résumé. A CV does not usually have to follow a strict layout or format, but in order to attract an employer's attention and get invited for an interview, your CV aside having good qualifications and skills stated on it, should contain only relevant information and laid out beautifully on A4 sized plain white paper.

These three (3) tips give an insight into a standard CV.

Tip 1: Make it simple
Avoid unnecessary grammar, too much formatting and inclusion of unnecessary information such as the color of your eyes, your best food. Such information is only necessary if you are going for a beauty contest or similar events, in which case you would be given a personal history form to fill.

Tip 2: Display more of your skills than your work experience
This is relevant mostly to job hoppers. Instead of making a list of all your work experiences, you may display two or three of your experiences that are similar to the post you are applying for on the particular CV you are to send to the employer. You may then convert the duties performed at your other jobs (the jobs not displayed on the particular CV) to skills and display them under the skills section of your CV.

The essence of doing this includes but not limited to: not coming across the employer as a job hopper. Some employers view job hopping as a negative career attitude and this may truncate your chance of getting interviewed if the employer in that organisation falls into this category; having a short cv that is filled with information relevant to the job you are applying for, thereby making the employer go through the length of your CV if they like what they see; displaying more skills than work experience on your CV presents you as a versatile individual.

Tip 3: Use a simple layout
I have seen CVs displayed like maps or even worse. A badly designed CV makes it difficult for the employer to go through your CV and this may cause your CV being thrown in the trash even though the content is rich.

In addition, it is important to go through your CV from time to time; this would assist you in identifying any of your skill areas you may need to improve on.

http://www.excellaid.com.ng/blog/three-tips-for-an-attractive-cv
Re: I Need A Professional Cv Review by fabiomatic(m): 3:33pm On Oct 25, 2015
Godmother:

No magic, its just a game of number; the more applications you send out, the better your chances of getting invites. At leaset for every 30 applications you send out, you should get 2 serious invites, sometimes more. You just need to subscribe to job websites so they send you regular job vacancies. You can get regular job vacancies from the following sites

careers24.com.ng
ngcareers.com/jobs
/Jobs
joblistnigeria.com
latestnigerianjobs.com
nigerianbestforum.com
careersnigeria.com
etc
so more than two apps should be sent for each app. is that what you're saying?
Re: I Need A Professional Cv Review by irsakant: 3:39pm On Oct 25, 2015
engrrichie92:
finished with a second class upper in Electrical ELectronics Engineering...so it definitely has to be my CV that's behind my sparse number of invite for test..my invite for test so far is like two(ignored one,wrote one and passed) compared to the countless number of CVS have sent..and as such gives me serious cause for concern
help me with professional review of my CV if you can..just drop your email,I'll definitely get to you
Dear Engrrichie92, I am saying it here for the benefits of other interested Nairalanders. A CV for an engineer is totally or completely different from that of Humanities. An engineer's CV or Resume is quite straightforward more than the latter. Instead of telling "stories" on your Career Objectives and (or) Summary, all what you need to do is to showcase lavishingly your skills or portfolio in Engineering, Technology or IT -Information Technology fields. If you have had laudable achievement(s), therefore, you are not an empty barrel. Just title or replace the usual "Career Objective" or "Summary" for "Portfolio" which is the best jargon for your very field. Just try that; it would steal the eyes of prospective employers and make sure you refrain from bad English grammar. This is the gateway to a perfect CV for an Engineer. For more, please follow me on this Twitter handle @kantemma for CV reviews or paid professional CV services. Good luck!

1 Like

Re: I Need A Professional Cv Review by Godmother(f): 5:05pm On Oct 25, 2015
fabiomatic:
so more than two apps should be sent for each app. is that what you're saying?

No, one application for each job opening. But try and get more vacancies so you broaden the number of applications you send. I still get job alerts from jobs sites I subscribed too last year. Inbox me ur email so I can forward them to you when I get them.
Re: I Need A Professional Cv Review by blackfm: 5:34pm On Oct 25, 2015
OP u can save yourself the stress and have your CV written by a professional for a token. There are cheap deals for this on dealdey.com every now and then going for between 1 to 3k. I bought one of such coupons and had pushcv rewrite my cv which they did in 5 different styles with word and PDF format for each style and a complementary cover letter. Cram whatever it is u want into ur current cv, send it to them and have them fine tune it for you. Wish u luck
engrrichie92:
Re: I Need A Professional Cv Review by blackfm: 5:37pm On Oct 25, 2015
You should subscribe to too. I saw the ads for almost all d jobs I've been interviewed for there including my current job.
Re: I Need A Professional Cv Review by fabiomatic(m): 1:31pm On Oct 26, 2015
Godmother:

No, one application for each job opening. But try and get more vacancies so you broaden the number of applications you send. I still get job alerts from jobs sites I subscribed too last year. Inbox me ur email so I can forward them to you when I get them.
okay that's pretty.
Re: I Need A Professional Cv Review by dustydee: 2:21pm On Oct 26, 2015
engrrichie92:
Send it if you are willing to wait at least 8 days.
Re: I Need A Professional Cv Review by engrrichie92(m): 5:30pm On Oct 26, 2015
dustydee:
if you mean my CV,it's uploaded already sir.thanks
Re: I Need A Professional Cv Review by engrrichie92(m): 5:31pm On Oct 26, 2015
dustydee:
Re: I Need A Professional Cv Review by engrrichie92(m): 5:31pm On Oct 26, 2015
dustydee:
Re: I Need A Professional Cv Review by dustydee: 5:32pm On Oct 26, 2015
engrrichie92:

Ok, I will get back to you.
Re: I Need A Professional Cv Review by engrrichie92(m): 5:40pm On Oct 26, 2015
dustydee:

Ok, I will get back to you.
thank you sir..#waiting
Re: I Need A Professional Cv Review by Nobody: 7:52pm On Oct 26, 2015
send me a private message I could be of help somehow either for appraisal or construction of another for free and just for you alone.

I will give you some hints on how and where to apply.
Thanks
Re: I Need A Professional Cv Review by dustydee: 6:08pm On Oct 29, 2015
engrrichie92:

thank you sir..#waiting
Hi, how do I email it to you, is the email address on it valid? or should I upload it here?
Re: I Need A Professional Cv Review by engrrichie92(m): 10:19pm On Oct 29, 2015
dustydee:

Hi, how do I email it to you, is the email address on it valid? or should I upload it here?
wow...please send it to mrbizguy6736@gmail.com...I'm really so grateful sir...thanks so much

(1) (2) (Reply)

Media 24, Nigeria Recruiting For Various Post (over 99 Vacancies), Apply Now / MASSIVE RECRUITMENT: Over 100 Sales Agents Needed Nationwide! / 9 Things You Need To Stop Doing If You Want To Be Taken Seriously

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 119
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.