Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,047 members, 7,825,335 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 11:57 AM

South Africa Student Strike For 0% Increase In University Fees & Free Education. - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / South Africa Student Strike For 0% Increase In University Fees & Free Education. (2535 Views)

Trump Orders Strike On Syria In Response To Alleged Chemical Attack / Zimbabwe Okays Payment Of School Fees With Goats / Indian Activist On Hunger Strike For 16 Years Promise To End Strike [photo] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

South Africa Student Strike For 0% Increase In University Fees & Free Education. by NDIRU: 9:32am On Oct 24, 2015
Pretoria - There will be no increase in university tuition fees for 2016, President Jacob Zuma said on Friday.

"We have agreed that there should be a zero increase," Zuma said in a televised address.

His address comes after a meeting with student leaders and university officials following a nationwide protest against increased fees.

Thousands of students had travelled from around Pretoria and Johannesburg to attend the demonstration, which gradually degenerated into violent scenes at a fence erected on the south lawn separating the students from the Union Buildings.

The protesters had demanded that Zuma speak to them outside the Union Buildings, however Zuma elected to speak to the nation from inside the buildings.

It was unclear whether he would still address the protesters.

Students who had come to protest peacefully were overshadowed by a minority of students at the fence, many of them wearing T-shirts bearing the branding of the Economic Freedom Fighters, the SA Students Congress, ANC Youth League, and the Pan Africanist Movement of Azania.

Those at the front of fence antagonised riot police by tearing down the fence, and throwing stones, bricks and other objects at police and even media.

Police used stun grenades, tear gas and a water cannon to disperse some of them.

1 Share

Re: South Africa Student Strike For 0% Increase In University Fees & Free Education. by NDIRU: 9:39am On Oct 24, 2015
I am so disappointed that this movement did not get any support from our fellow African Countries.

Re: South Africa Student Strike For 0% Increase In University Fees & Free Education. by ULSHERLAN(m): 11:01am On Oct 24, 2015
NDIRU:
I am so disappointed that this movement did not get any support from our fellow African Countries.

Other African countries have several issues bothering them than interfering in an issue that can easily be resolved by the govt of the country.
Re: South Africa Student Strike For 0% Increase In University Fees & Free Education. by vandalZA(m): 2:33pm On Oct 24, 2015
ULSHERLAN:

Other African countries have several issues bothering them than interfering in an issue that can easily be resolved by the govt of the country.

the problem with you is that you don't understand what Op is trying to say........what the south African students fight for is free education and that is the movement that should be carried to the whole of Africa, because education should not be our privilege but our birthright.
Re: South Africa Student Strike For 0% Increase In University Fees & Free Education. by Nobody: 3:53am On Oct 25, 2015
vandalZA:
the problem with you is that you don't understand what Op is trying to say........what the south African students fight for is free education and that is the movement that should be carried to the whole of Africa, because education should not be our privilege but our birthright.
many african countries are still struggling with economic problems, you're talking about them supporting your cause., have you no common sense? do you think SA can afford to give free education at this point with 1.5% GDP growth, increasing inflation and currency issues?.. your unemployment rate increased to 26% this amongst other socio-economic problems mara. Reserve bank is thinking of increase commodity tax from 14%, that should tell you the economy is taking a hit.. march againat that wena
Re: South Africa Student Strike For 0% Increase In University Fees & Free Education. by vandalZA(m): 7:22am On Oct 25, 2015
iterator24:
many african countries are still struggling with economic problems, you're talking about them supporting your cause., have you no common sense? do you think SA can afford to give free education at this point with 1.5% GDP growth, increasing inflation and currency issues?.. your unemployment rate increased to 26% this amongst other socio-economic problems mara. Reserve bank is thinking of increase commodity tax from 14%, that should tell you the economy is taking a hit.. march againat that wena
first the GDP growth of the country it doesn't represent the wealthy of the country but the development of the country moving from one-stage to another and also unemployment it doesn't represent the wealthy of the country but the job shortage and on inflation that's a global problem even America feel the heat.

What you should know is that south Africa is capable of giving free education and it have resources to do so....we do have free education grants via Nsfas, what the students fight for is the accessibility of this grant, it should be easy to apply for and to be unconditional to all students and that should not be difficult south Africa enjoys a $120billion annual budget.
Re: South Africa Student Strike For 0% Increase In University Fees & Free Education. by Nobody: 8:08am On Oct 25, 2015
vandalZA:
first the GDP growth of the country it doesn't represent the wealthy of the country but the development of the country moving from one-stage to another and also unemployment it doesn't represent the wealthy of the country but the job shortage and on inflation that's a global problem even America feel the heat.

What you should know is that south Africa is capable of giving free education and it have resources to do so....we do have free education grants via Nsfas, what the students fight for is the accessibility of this grant, it should be easy to apply for and to be unconditional to all students and that should not be difficult south Africa enjoys a $120billion annual budget.
even the most advanced / richest economies in world subsidizes university education but hey, you people never reason and believe you know best..
federal universities in nigeria are subsidized by the government and I believe other african countries have similar structure in place.

Goodluck with your quest for free education you'll need it, other african countries have more pressing issues to worry about.
Re: South Africa Student Strike For 0% Increase In University Fees & Free Education. by 14(m): 1:24pm On Oct 29, 2015
iterator24:

even the most advanced / richest economies in world subsidizes university education but hey, you people never reason and believe you know best..
federal universities in nigeria are subsidized by the government and I believe other african countries have similar structure in place.

Goodluck with your quest for free education you'll need it, other african countries have more pressing issues to worry about.
Primary to secundary education is free, Tertiary education can be made free also.what the op was trying to say, was that most african countries have similar issues like SA. education cannot be for previlaged alone. So when you are poor, does that mean you dont have to get educated. My parents were poor, but with the help of government bursary NSFAS, i was able to complete my studies, now i am an engineer. had the government not helped me, i would still be suffering just like my parents. To improve and develop africa, free education is the way to go or else we will remain backwards till jesus comes back.
Re: South Africa Student Strike For 0% Increase In University Fees & Free Education. by OohLalah(f): 5:48am On Nov 02, 2015
iterator24:

You have comprehension issues wena. Where did he ask for support? SA doesn't need any support for its internal issues but what he said was other African countries could have taken the opportunity to join for their own benefit not SA students's benefit. They got the zero% they wanted a big step to the right direction.

Our government is more than capable to offer free education. They should just double foreign students fees that will open more spaces for locals. If foreign students like you think fighting for better affordable education is stupidity and cannot do the same in their countries, call it our problem when we fight but want to benefit from it, they should pay.

Further more if their countries education is good enough and they still travel out to study in other countries it means they can afford to pay. People should learn not to reap where they haven't sown.
Re: South Africa Student Strike For 0% Increase In University Fees & Free Education. by Nobody: 8:05am On Nov 02, 2015
OohLalah:

You have comprehension issues wena. Where did he ask for support? SA doesn't need any support for its internal issues but what he said was other African countries could have taken the opportunity to join for their own benefit not SA students's benefit. They got the zero% they wanted a big step to the right direction.

Our government is more than capable to offer free education. They should just double foreign students fees that will open more spaces for locals. If foreign students like you think fighting for better affordable education is stupidity and cannot do the same in their countries, call it our problem when we fight but want to benefit from it, they should pay.

Further more if their countries education is good enough and they still travel out to study in other countries it means they can afford to pay. People should learn not to reap where they haven't sown.

hey d!mwit, here

"I am so disappointed that this movement did not get any support from our fellow African Countries".

and shove all the gibberish u posted where the sun don't shine..

goodluck to your free education
Re: South Africa Student Strike For 0% Increase In University Fees & Free Education. by OohLalah(f): 9:33pm On Nov 02, 2015
iterator24:

hey d!mwit, here

"I am so disappointed that this movement did not get any support from our fellow African Countries".

and shove all the gibberish u posted where the sun don't shine.. G

goodluck to your free education

Good! Insults means i've hit the right spot! Hahaaahaa!
And if you had brains you would realise he meant support interns of all African states also joining and asking for the same. In you demented mind phooo! What support can outside African countries give SA when they are in worse state?

We will and you will pay for it! tongue
Re: South Africa Student Strike For 0% Increase In University Fees & Free Education. by Nobody: 6:31pm On Nov 05, 2015
OohLalah:

Good! Insults means i've hit the right spot! Hahaaahaa!
And if you had brains you would realise he meant support interns of all African states also joining and asking for the same. In you demented mind phooo! What support can outside African countries give SA when they are in worse state?

We will and you will pay for it! tongue

interns? wait, read his post and my response properly, you're the brainless d!mwit here, other African countries know better than to support your cause; they don't want everything for 'free' like you lots..
and for the record, there are african countries doing far better than SA.. perhaps, it's your xenophobic psyche that repels support as a nation and the reason for clouded judgement.

again, goodluck with your free education

here's food for thought
m.news24.com/news24/SouthAfrica/News/Govt-will-regret-0-fee-increase-Jansen-20151105
Re: South Africa Student Strike For 0% Increase In University Fees & Free Education. by Nobody: 6:41pm On Nov 05, 2015
Re: South Africa Student Strike For 0% Increase In University Fees & Free Education. by Nobody: 6:43pm On Nov 05, 2015
14:

Primary to secundary education is free, Tertiary education can be made free also.what the op was trying to say, was that most african countries have similar issues like SA. education cannot be for previlaged alone. So when you are poor, does that mean you dont have to get educated. My parents were poor, but with the help of government bursary NSFAS, i was able to complete my studies, now i am an engineer. had the government not helped me, i would still be suffering just like my parents. To improve and develop africa, free education is the way to go or else we will remain backwards till jesus comes back.
perhaps you're specific with the cause OP is talking about #ZEROINCREASE? /#FREEUNIVERSITYEDU? Again, in advanced economies all over, university education can only be subsidized, even NFSAS, 'eduloan' etc, are in form of 'loans' that you pay back to the government, so don't mislead readers here..
Re: South Africa Student Strike For 0% Increase In University Fees & Free Education. by OohLalah(f): 12:27pm On Nov 11, 2015
iterator24:

interns? wait, read his post and my response properly, you're the brainless d!mwit here, other African countries know better than to support your cause; they don't want everything for 'free' like you lots..
and for the record, there are african countries doing far better than SA.. perhaps, it's your xenophobic psyche that repels support as a nation and the reason for clouded judgement.

again, goodluck with your free education

here's food for thought
m.news24.com/news24/SouthAfrica/News/Govt-will-regret-0-fee-increase-Jansen-20151105

Stop the bloody insults you bloody armpit stinking kwerekwere. Again you are an iddiot to think we will ever need your support for internal issues. Now phuck off and enjoy our better education that we are giving you free of charge. Ungrateful twart! Your jealousy for our lands is understandable because you will never ever have what we have. Dirty mofo!

1 Like

Re: South Africa Student Strike For 0% Increase In University Fees & Free Education. by Nobody: 12:45pm On Nov 11, 2015
OohLalah:

Stop the bloody insults you bloody armpit stinking kwerekwere. Again you are an iddiot to think we will ever need your support for internal issues. Now phuck off and enjoy our better education that we are giving you free of charge. Ungrateful twart! Your jealousy for our lands is understandable because you will never ever have what we have. Dirty mofo!
I've been priviledged to mingle with your kind for over 6 years, this right here means I stroke a nerve.. y'all xenophobes can't deal with the truth..

1 Like

Re: South Africa Student Strike For 0% Increase In University Fees & Free Education. by OohLalah(f): 2:02pm On Nov 11, 2015
iterator24:
I've been priviledged to mingle with your kind for over 6 years, this right here means I stroke a nerve.. y'all xenophobes can't deal with the truth..

Until you yourself are lynched, we are not xenophobic enough. Once you are braai meat then you can call us whatever! Your kind need to clean up and stop being stinkies then you can talk. You are the one who needs to deal with the truth. You will never have what we have.
Re: South Africa Student Strike For 0% Increase In University Fees & Free Education. by Nobody: 4:08pm On Nov 11, 2015
OohLalah:

Until you yourself are lynched, we are not xenophobic enough. Once you are braai meat then you can call us whatever! Your kind need to clean up and stop being stinkies then you can talk. You are the one who needs to deal with the truth. You will never have what we have.
hahahaha.... inferiority is the definition of your kind in all measures..goodluck wena
Re: South Africa Student Strike For 0% Increase In University Fees & Free Education. by KINGOFJAPAN: 7:20pm On Nov 12, 2015
OohLalah:

Nigerians jealous?? Of your aids ridden land? gringrin
Southies are dumb I swear

(1) (Reply)

President Trump And First Lady Made Suprise Visit To U.S. Soldiers In Iraq(Pics) / Tunisian President Asks Tunisians To Chase Black Africans From Tunisia. / History Of Suicide Bombing: The First Was A Christian

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.