Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,478 members, 7,770,169 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 06:35 AM

Best Way To Prepare A Jollof Rice: How? - Food (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Best Way To Prepare A Jollof Rice: How? (73152 Views)

How Jollof Rice Was Served In A Party (pics) / How To Prepare A Nutritious Garri Soaked In Water / Picture Of Jollof Rice Been Cooked By A Nairalander (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Best Way To Prepare A Jollof Rice: How? by debouy: 3:42pm On May 22, 2009
i just want to ask , if after the stew is ready and the rice and water subsequently added to the fried stew, is it necessary for me to stir the rise, so that the stew can go round or perhaps leave as it is?
Re: Best Way To Prepare A Jollof Rice: How? by bblacky(f): 3:58pm On May 22, 2009
debouy:

i just want to ask , if after the stew is ready and the rice and water subsequently added to the fried stew, is it necessary for me to stir the rise, so that the stew can go round or perhaps leave as it is?
yea u stir so d stew goes round
Re: Best Way To Prepare A Jollof Rice: How? by meexteriox(m): 4:18pm On May 22, 2009
Don't stir!!!!!!!!!!!!
It will only get burnt faster. Just stir the stew first, then pour the rice, only after stirring the stew.
Don't stir the rice with the stew inside oooooooooooooooo.
Re: Best Way To Prepare A Jollof Rice: How? by AmakaOne(f): 5:51pm On May 22, 2009
500 g (1 lb) lean beef or chicken
Salt and ground white pepper, to taste
Vegetable oil for frying
1L (1-3/4 pt) stock or water with 3 crushed stock cubes
3 large onions, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
2-3 chillies (hot peppers), finely chopped
4 large tomatoes, blanched, peeled and blended or mashed
45 g (3 tablespoons) tomato paste
250 g (8 oz) each of assorted chopped vegetables, e.g. carrots, green beans,
mushrooms and capsicums (sweet or bell peppers)
500 g (1 lb) long-grain rice
Parsley or fresh coriander (cilantro) and hard-boiled eggs to garnish

Cut meat or chicken into 5 cm (2 in) cubes or small pieces and season with salt and pepper. Cover and allow to stand for 1-2 hours.

Heat oil in fry-pan and fry the meat or chicken pieces until brown. Remove meat from oil and add to the stock in a large, heavy-based saucepan. Simmer on low heat until meat begins to soften, then remove from heat.

Drain excess oil from fry pan leaving enough oil to fry onions, garlic and chillies (hot peppers) until golden. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, half the combined vegetables and 250 mL (8 fl oz) of stock from the meat mixture. Stir well, adjust seasoning and simmer on low heat for 5-7 minutes. Add this vegetable sauce to the meat mixture in the saucepan and simmer gently. Finally, stir in the uncooked, long-grain rice. Adjust the seasoning again, cover and simmer slowly on low heat for about 15 minutes.

Arrange the remaining vegetables on top of the rice and continue to simmer until the rice absorbs all the stock, softens and cooks, and the meat is tender. It may be necessary to sprinkle additional water mix to help the rice cook. If so use small amounts at a time of approximately 250 mL (8 fl oz) lightly salted water.

Serve hot, garnished with chopped parsley or fresh coriander (cilantro) and hard-boiled eggs.

Re: Best Way To Prepare A Jollof Rice: How? by LadyT(f): 5:53pm On May 22, 2009
key thing low heat will stop burning!
Re: Best Way To Prepare A Jollof Rice: How? by Uche2nna(m): 6:27pm On May 22, 2009
I was about to ask that?

Why is that mine burns? angry I have destroyed two pots all in the name of cooking,,,now I just use a rice cooker and make the stew separately,,,,,,

Is low heat all there is to it? undecided
Re: Best Way To Prepare A Jollof Rice: How? by LadyT(f): 6:28pm On May 22, 2009
Yep honest!

grin
Re: Best Way To Prepare A Jollof Rice: How? by Uche2nna(m): 6:31pm On May 22, 2009
Well, I figured that low heat would make the rice stew in liquid for so long that it would have that "bloated, soaked" texture undecided

Maybe , I just suck in making jollof rice
Re: Best Way To Prepare A Jollof Rice: How? by platinumnk(f): 7:10pm On May 22, 2009
with dog meat grin
Re: Best Way To Prepare A Jollof Rice: How? by MVJ(m): 7:23pm On May 22, 2009
by adding sweet like tom tom and oil, palm fruit i have finish preparing the jollof yommmy

1 Like

Re: Best Way To Prepare A Jollof Rice: How? by Makavelis(m): 8:19pm On May 22, 2009

1. Add peak milk and st. Louis sugar
2. Mix it up with milo
3. Add palm oil and salt
4. Ask your mama
lol
Re: Best Way To Prepare A Jollof Rice: How? by mustafar1: 10:09pm On May 22, 2009
Try Baking it in the oven. it would come out evenly cooked and it sure wont be burned at the bottom like if cooked over flame.
Re: Best Way To Prepare A Jollof Rice: How? by mascott(m): 10:36pm On May 22, 2009
All these concepts no go work if u planning to run a buka.

"IYA BASIRA" remains the best ingredient and concept.
grin grin grin
Re: Best Way To Prepare A Jollof Rice: How? by naijacutee(f): 1:18am On May 23, 2009
@chaircover
rosemary bawo dem dey use human meat cook rice chai i no dey again
pls shed light
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin Today is the day I laughed until I had chestpain - I nearly died laughing  grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Best Way To Prepare A Jollof Rice: How? by Outstrip(f): 1:53am On May 23, 2009
blend tomatoes, red bell peppers, onions, maggi, and 1 can tomato paste together

Heat oil and then pour blended vegetables (lower heat before pouring)

Add rosemary, thyme, curry and bay leaves (2 to 4 leaves)

Add salt to taste

You can let the tomatoes dry a bit or you can just let it get to a rapid boil again before you add the rice (depends on how much tme you have to cook)

Kind of guage your level of water to rice. I use my eye as a gauge (LOL) because I do not like to add water once I have added my rice. If you have to add water then use chicken stock and add a little at a time.
Re: Best Way To Prepare A Jollof Rice: How? by LadyT(f): 9:43am On May 23, 2009
You need to stir jare!

Just make sure the heat is not too high!

I always found not using too many onion made the stew less thick and less likely to burn!
Re: Best Way To Prepare A Jollof Rice: How? by Redman44(m): 11:54am On May 23, 2009
wow, all kinds of ways to cook jollof rice here. I remember back in the days when I was a kid. At the family gatherings we had, I and the other youngsters used to scratch the bottom of the agbari-ojukwu's with our spoons to enjoy the partially burnt jollof rice remnants. I am laughing as I type this post. Jollof rice is really nice. I cant wait to get married in the near future so that my woman can cook this delicious dish for me smiley smiley Cheers.
Re: Best Way To Prepare A Jollof Rice: How? by bdprice: 12:06pm On May 23, 2009
@redman44
well then go for the right woman. Reading the posts made me see my wife through the eyes of my mind and wondered how I ended up with her. Maybe I should send her here.
Re: Best Way To Prepare A Jollof Rice: How? by Redman44(m): 12:29pm On May 23, 2009
yeah, man, it is good to end up with the right woman. Thanks for the advice. Cheers.
Re: Best Way To Prepare A Jollof Rice: How? by lysaa(f): 10:14am On May 26, 2009
amaka ur jollof is the koko of them all, the ingredients and look wow,quite mouth watering.

Toyo na which kain rice dey ya 1st pic? lipsrsealed
looks like a type momsy buys from the northern part of naija. .smaller than couscous. All join sha.

would like to try these new method but not the okrajollof. lol

1 Like

Re: Best Way To Prepare A Jollof Rice: How? by TOYOSI20(f): 11:43am On May 26, 2009
MrCrackles:

Which kain Jollof be this? shocked shocked

Wetin be dis? shocked

This one na draw-rice or wetin? shocked

Psssf!!! angry cheesy

lysaa:

amaka ur jollof is the koko of them all, the ingredients and look wow,quite mouth watering.

Toyo na which kain rice dey ya 1st pic? lipsrsealed
looks like a type momsy buys from the northern part of naija. .smaller than couscous. All join sha.

would like to try these new method but not the okrajollof. lol

LOL!!!. . .hopefully these are a lil' better y'all, . . . . cheesy cheesy

Re: Best Way To Prepare A Jollof Rice: How? by wanville(m): 10:45pm On Jun 02, 2009
Re: Best Way To Prepare A Jollof Rice: How? by savanaha: 10:47pm On Jun 02, 2009
Looks delish. Too bad am starving for 3 months.
Re: Best Way To Prepare A Jollof Rice: How? by wanville(m): 10:54pm On Jun 02, 2009
smiley
Re: Best Way To Prepare A Jollof Rice: How? by lysaa(f): 5:51pm On Jun 26, 2009
TOYOSI20:

LOL!!!. . .hopefully these are a lil' better y'all, . . . . cheesy cheesy

of course. LOL

how far? didn't know u were into cooking too o
Re: Best Way To Prepare A Jollof Rice: How? by mohawkchic(f): 7:23pm On Jul 12, 2009
~Oh Yeah TOYOSI20. . . the Jolloh pics Looks yum. . feel like eating Jolloh. . havent had any in a while. .
Re: Best Way To Prepare A Jollof Rice: How? by mi3(f): 10:31am On Jul 15, 2009
The whole party rice flavour, i think, comes from the fact that for weddings and huge parties, a lot of people cook the rice on firewood, and it gives it that delish aroma, like food when i go to the village tongue, and YUM recipes + pics btw!
Re: Best Way To Prepare A Jollof Rice: How? by TOYOSI20(f): 12:23pm On Jul 15, 2009
lysaa:

of course. LOL

how far? didn't know u were into cooking too o

Nothing much darl, . . . .ahhhhhhhh ma sis i am oo cheesy cheesy, maself and cooking go together like crisp white tees and solid nikes grin

mohawkchic:

~Oh Yeah TOYOSI20. . . the Jolloh pics Looks yum. . feel like eating Jolloh. . havent had any in a while. .

Haha, u right MC, same here, will pra'li make some later on today, cheesy cheesy
Re: Best Way To Prepare A Jollof Rice: How? by saiprojects(f): 9:42am On Aug 03, 2014

(1) (2) (Reply)

How to Make Egusi Soup / What I Prepared For My Sweetheart This Morning / EndSARS: Ijebu-Ode Protesters Kill Cow, Roast It At Protest Ground (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.