Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,468 members, 7,770,153 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 06:04 AM

Best Way To Prepare A Jollof Rice: How? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Best Way To Prepare A Jollof Rice: How? (73151 Views)

How Jollof Rice Was Served In A Party (pics) / How To Prepare A Nutritious Garri Soaked In Water / Picture Of Jollof Rice Been Cooked By A Nairalander (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Best Way To Prepare A Jollof Rice: How? by 9iceX(m): 11:41pm On May 07, 2009
Can somebody help me out?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Best Way To Prepare A Jollof Rice: How? by blackspade(m): 1:56am On May 08, 2009
I was going to ask the same exact question.
Re: Best Way To Prepare A Jollof Rice: How? by SeanT21(f): 6:23am On May 08, 2009
Hmm,DELICIOUS!! wink

Jollof rice probably originated from rice dishes eaten by the Wolof people of Senegal and Gambia, but its popularity has spread to most of West Africa, especially Nigeria and Ghana. Based on rice, tomatoes and usually meat or fish, it is believed by some to be the origin of Cajun jambalaya. The Gambian version is called benachin. Also spelled jolof or djolof rice.

4-6 servings
Oil -- 1/4 cup
Chicken, cut into pieces -- 1 1/2 pounds
Water or stock -- 5 cups
Onions, chopped -- 2
Red or green bell pepper, chopped -- 1
Garlic, minced -- 3-4 cloves
Rice -- 3 cups
Tomato paste -- 1/4 cups
Tomatoes, chopped -- 2 cups
Carrots, peeled and chopped -- 2
Green beans -- 1 cup
Cabbage, chopped -- 1 cup
Salt and pepper to taste

Method
Heat the oil over medium-high flame in a large pot. Working in batches, add the chicken and brown on all sides. Remove the chicken to another large pot and add the water or stock. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes.
While the chicken simmers, pour all but 2-3 tablespoons of oil out of the first pot. Heat the oil over medium flame, add the onions and peppers and sauté until the onions are wilted and translucent, 4-5 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for another 1-2 minutes.
Stir the rice into the onions and peppers and heat through for another 1-2 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste to coat the rice and give it a reddish hue. Add the chopped tomatoes and let them cook down for 2-3 minutes.
Pour in the chicken and its simmering liquid into the rice pot and add the carrots, green beans and cabbage. Season well with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover tightly and simmer for 20 minutes.
Remove from heat, let rest another 10 minutes. Remove to a serving platter and serve with dodo, sliced hard-boiled eggs and a side salad.
Variations
There are many variations of jollof rice. Feel free to improvise using what you meats and vegetables you have on hand. Try beef, ham, shrimp, fish, goat or pork. For vegetables, add peas, potatoes, eggplant or mushrooms
Beef Jollof Rice: substitute cubed stewing beef for the chicken. After browning the beef, simmer in liquid for 45 minutes before adding to the sautéed rice mixture.
Vegetarian Jollof Rice: simply eliminate the meat and stir hot water or vegetable stock into the sautéed rice mixture.
Optional spices that can be used to flavor the dish are cinnamon, curry powder or cayenne. Some minced chile peppers can be sautéed with the onions to add extra bite.

http://www.whats4eats.com/poultry/jollof-rice-recipe

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Best Way To Prepare A Jollof Rice: How? by sugabelle: 11:30pm On May 11, 2009
Jollof Rice

First, you make the stew/sauce.
Heat the vegetable oil, stir in chopped onions
Add chopped fresh tomatoes, curry, thyme and other desired seasonings (some like garlic and bay leaves)
Once these are nicely frying, add several scoops of tomato puree according to taste, stir occasionally to keep from burning
Sprinkle in some salt to taste
Allow to stew for a while, then add three cups of water to every cup of rice you intend to cook. (ie: 3 cups of rice needs 8/9 cups of water to cook)
Bring this to the boil. Then add the properly washed uncooked rice into the pot (some people parboil rice first). Allow to cook till tender, adding water from time to time if required.
Once cooked, let stand for five minutes before stirring with wooden spoon. Serve with fried plantain, fried meat/fish etc.

2 Likes

Re: Best Way To Prepare A Jollof Rice: How? by tope5000: 11:40pm On May 11, 2009
SeanT21:

Hmm,DELICIOUS!! wink

Jollof rice probably originated from rice dishes eaten by the Wolof people of Senegal and Gambia, but its popularity has spread to most of West Africa, especially Nigeria and Ghana. Based on rice, tomatoes and usually meat or fish, it is believed by some to be the origin of Cajun jambalaya. The Gambian version is called benachin. Also spelled jolof or djolof rice.

4-6 servings
Oil -- 1/4 cup
Chicken, cut into pieces -- 1 1/2 pounds
Water or stock -- 5 cups
Onions, chopped -- 2
Red or green bell pepper, chopped -- 1
Garlic, minced -- 3-4 cloves
Rice -- 3 cups
Tomato paste -- 1/4 cups
Tomatoes, chopped -- 2 cups
Carrots, peeled and chopped -- 2 Green beans -- 1 cup
Cabbage, chopped -- 1 cup
Salt and pepper to taste

Which country jollof rice is this? certainly not nigerian's lipsrsealed undecided

1 Like

Re: Best Way To Prepare A Jollof Rice: How? by mohawkchic(f): 2:18am On May 12, 2009
tope5000:

Which country jollof rice is this? certainly not nigerian's lipsrsealed undecided

~ cheesy First thing i noticed was the difference in how Jollof is prepared among West African Countires! I can pretty much identify the Naija ~Gambia ~Senegalese Jollof by sight!

~In Sierra Leone we cook it different too!

~There was  a post about "The Origin of Jollof" w/ Pics i posted . . .post a link if i find it. . .
Re: Best Way To Prepare A Jollof Rice: How? by Jaylon(m): 2:21am On May 12, 2009
so mohawkchic is from SL.  cool

Kai you people bear Koroma and Kamara names like crazzzzzy grin

1 Like

Re: Best Way To Prepare A Jollof Rice: How? by mohawkchic(f): 2:23am On May 12, 2009
~Yeah Jaylon. . . grin Am one of the Exceptions to the K & K  tongue

The Meaning Of "Jollof" In Jollof Rice

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-150454.0.html

Special Recipe For Jollof Rice

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-229266.0.html#bot
Re: Best Way To Prepare A Jollof Rice: How? by SeanT21(f): 5:18am On May 12, 2009
tope5000:

JOLLOF RICE IS JOLLOF RICE NAA!!
Re: Best Way To Prepare A Jollof Rice: How? by Pepeye(f): 7:10am On May 12, 2009
methods varies
Re: Best Way To Prepare A Jollof Rice: How? by Nobody: 3:51pm On May 12, 2009
//
Re: Best Way To Prepare A Jollof Rice: How? by tboy1(m): 3:54pm On May 12, 2009
chaircover:

3 - Two ata rodo (sorry I dont know the English name for this)
small pepper
Re: Best Way To Prepare A Jollof Rice: How? by Nweddings: 6:29pm On May 12, 2009
Re: Best Way To Prepare A Jollof Rice: How? by mohawkchic(f): 1:15am On May 13, 2009
~I love when Jollof has A tiny weeny lil bit of Burt Aroma  and the sticky bit on the pot . . . Yum Yum! I stick the rice cooker on "Cook" after it's flipped to "Warm" just so i can  get a Crunchy Sticky Base  grin AKA " Cra - whoo "

~What do you Naija folks call the Sticky Base?
Re: Best Way To Prepare A Jollof Rice: How? by TOYOSI20(f): 1:49am On May 14, 2009
blackspade:

I was going to ask the same exact question.

shocked shocked shocked shocked, na wah oo, well thankfully MC has put up some links, so hopefully that helps,

I have some mouth watering pics though, kiss kiss kiss

1 Like

Re: Best Way To Prepare A Jollof Rice: How? by TOYOSI20(f): 1:50am On May 14, 2009
And some more, cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Best Way To Prepare A Jollof Rice: How? by TOYOSI20(f): 1:51am On May 14, 2009
final one i promise, grin grin

Re: Best Way To Prepare A Jollof Rice: How? by AmakaOne(f): 9:18am On May 14, 2009
TOYOSI20:

Jollof with Okro?

Interesting
Re: Best Way To Prepare A Jollof Rice: How? by mohawkchic(f): 2:41am On May 16, 2009
~Jollof Pic No 1. . hmm mm mm Yum!. . .me feel like piggin out on it grin

~Okra Jollof combo is quite some fusion!

1 Like

Re: Best Way To Prepare A Jollof Rice: How? by eyeshadow(f): 1:24pm On May 16, 2009
chaircover:

My very easy & quick method - Which Hubby asks me to cook for him nearly every day wink

Ingredients

Most importantly invest in a very good non stick pan

1 - One tin of good quality plum tomatoes
2 - One onion
3 - Two ata rodo (sorry I dont know the English name for this)
4 - One capsicum pepper ( ata nla)
5 - 2 knorr cubes
6 - 2 tomatoes - sliced
7 - 1 small red onion - diced.
8 - Salt
9 - curry powder
10 - Thyme
11 - rosemary
12 - Ground black pepper
13 - bayleaf
14 - sunflower oil
15 - 1 tin of derica tomato puree
16 - Good quality easy cook rice

Put ingredients 1-4 in a food processor and blend. Dont blend too finely. leave it a little bit rough

Place sunflower oil in the pan and place on the cooker until hot.

Add in the blended pepper/plum tomatoes mix first, then add all the other ingredients except the rice.

Let all the ingredients sizzle for a minute or so then add the rinsed rice, add some water to the pot making sure the liquid just about covers the top of the rice.

Turn the heat right down and let it all simmer adding small amounts of water every so often until the rice is cooked.

Simmering the rice is the key to this dish and because you are adding such little water at a time, a thin layer of the rice sticks to the bottom but if you are using a good pot this is not a problem because the burnt layer gives the rice the Naija party rice aroma.
Sorry I haven't pout any measures on the ingredients because I have cooked this dish so many times I dont measure. I just throw things in.

I am actually off to cook it now smiley

I'm really interested in getting that party jollof rice flavour but I've never been able to do it. I've tried letting it get burnt a little but it just ends up tasting burnt and doesn't get the actual taste I'm looking for. Is there any naija caterer on NL

1 Like

Re: Best Way To Prepare A Jollof Rice: How? by Kanyinsola: 9:54am On May 17, 2009
@eyeshadow

When it's about 10mins or there about for you to turn the heat off, cover your pan/pot with a foil paper plus the lid. it has always worked for me.
Re: Best Way To Prepare A Jollof Rice: How? by ikeyman00(m): 12:33pm On May 22, 2009
@@@@

every nigeria should boycout this thread

ghanaian and liberians claimed they deviced emm jellof rice

angry

fraser has left the building
Re: Best Way To Prepare A Jollof Rice: How? by bsanya(f): 12:51pm On May 22, 2009
Amaka pls send the real Jollof Rice and not only the recipe.
The whole world awaits u!
Re: Best Way To Prepare A Jollof Rice: How? by frankogbu(m): 1:21pm On May 22, 2009
@ Poster,

Why ask us a question you already have an annswer.

To cook jollof rice, simply warm the jollof and add the desired quantity of rice. SHIKENA!! grin grin grin
Re: Best Way To Prepare A Jollof Rice: How? by mayrho(m): 1:57pm On May 22, 2009
@chaircover
rosemary bawo dem dey use human meat cook rice chai i no dey again
pls shed light
Re: Best Way To Prepare A Jollof Rice: How? by Becomrich: 2:24pm On May 22, 2009
That nice
Re: Best Way To Prepare A Jollof Rice: How? by otukpo(f): 2:46pm On May 22, 2009
mayrho:

@chaircover
rosemary bawo dem dey use human meat cook rice chai i no dey again
pls shed light

Rosemary is a type of seasoning and its good for jollof rice.
the naija party jollof rice flavour is not from the burning but from the seasonings u've used to prepare the food.
Re: Best Way To Prepare A Jollof Rice: How? by osamor: 2:57pm On May 22, 2009
@otukpo
wat are d ingrdients u ask 4 in d mrkt 2 get dat party rice taste. wink
Re: Best Way To Prepare A Jollof Rice: How? by sunboy(m): 3:04pm On May 22, 2009
No body sabi student jollof rice wit dried pepper n tomato paste?
Re: Best Way To Prepare A Jollof Rice: How? by bblacky(f): 3:09pm On May 22, 2009
jolof rice jolof rice atimes no meat or fish, no tomatos sef i no mean, infact na dat one dey sweet pass, if u wan taste rush go mama fatima buka, lol
Re: Best Way To Prepare A Jollof Rice: How? by MrCrackles(m): 3:19pm On May 22, 2009
TOYOSI20:

Which kain Jollof be this? shocked shocked

Wetin be dis? shocked

This one na draw-rice or wetin? shocked

Psssf!!! angry cheesy
Re: Best Way To Prepare A Jollof Rice: How? by kshow1(m): 3:23pm On May 22, 2009
you guys are making me feel hungry again .
hhhmmmmmmm am off to have my lunch.

(1) (2) (Reply)

How to Make Egusi Soup / What I Prepared For My Sweetheart This Morning / EndSARS: Ijebu-Ode Protesters Kill Cow, Roast It At Protest Ground (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.