Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,117 members, 7,818,330 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:54 PM

Hope For A Zoologist In Nigeria - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Hope For A Zoologist In Nigeria (977 Views)

What Is The Hope Of Physics Students After Graduation? / What Are Career Opportunities For Zoologist / ASUU Indefinite Strike: Any Hope For The Undergraduates? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hope For A Zoologist In Nigeria by JustOzito(f): 11:52pm On Nov 01, 2015
Hello every1, am an undergraduate in one of the states university and my dicipline is Zoology. I am proud of this great course I have chosen but sometimes just like some students we get discouraging words from people. Words like ' don't tell me ur studying animals'. 'When u graduate where will u work? A zoo?' Etc. I always feel bad(then) until I carefully studied my departmental handbook. So I wish to share with the intending students, undergraduates and even our senior colleagues.
A zoologist studies several aspects of animals namely the origin, behaviour and processes of life.
Our field of specialization includes:
-morphology
-taxonomy
-genetics,
-zoogeography,
-embryology
-entomology,
-limnology,
-fisheries,
-marine Biology etc.
Carrier opportunities include
-Science writer/Editor,
-Medical illustrator,
-Forensic Scientist,
-Molecular Biologist and biotechnologist,
-immunologist, etc.
This means that we are not restricted to work ONLY at the zoo.
Like I said I saw all dis in my departmental handbook; I still wish to know what awaits a zoologist in the labour market. Apart from being a lecturer. I'l" appreciate comments, criticisms as well as ur experiences
Lalasticala pls do the needful

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Hope For A Zoologist In Nigeria by thebestonearth(m): 11:56pm On Nov 01, 2015
JustOzito:
Hello every1, am an undergraduate in one of the states university and my dicipline is Zoology. I am proud of this great course I have chosen but sometimes just like some students we get discouraging words from people. Words like ' don't tell me ur studying animals'. 'When u graduate where will u work? A zoo?' Etc. I always feel bad(then) until I carefully studied my departmental handbook. So I wish to share with the intending students, undergraduates and even our senior colleagues.
A zoologist studies several aspects of animals namely the origin, behaviour and processes of life.
Our field of specialization includes:
-morphology
-taxonomy
-genetics,
-zoogeography,
-embryology
-entomology,
-limnology,
-fisheries,
-marine Biology etc.
Carrier opportunities include
-Science writer/Editor,
-Medical illustrator,
-Forensic Scientist,
-Molecular Biologist and biotechnologist,
-immunologist, etc.
This means that we are not restricted to work ONLY at the zoo.
Like I said I saw all dis in my departmental handbook; I still wish to know what awaits a zoologist in the labour market. Apart from being a lecturer. I'l" appreciate comments, criticisms as well as ur experiences
Lalasticala pls do the needful
Re: Hope For A Zoologist In Nigeria by SmartMugu: 4:44am On Nov 02, 2015
You don't have to be a lecturer. In my opinion , your skillsets are very valuable, they will be more valuable if you put them towards your personal use. Take your fishery skillset for example, several people make a living from just owning their personal pond.

While ure studying, focus on what you can do for yourself. No matter how small you start, you can make it grow with perseverance.

Personally, getting a degree with a mindset of working for someone afterwards is a waste of time. I quit thinking like that several years ago.

2 Likes

Re: Hope For A Zoologist In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:48am On Nov 02, 2015
Uhn
Re: Hope For A Zoologist In Nigeria by JustOzito(f): 12:15pm On Nov 02, 2015
SmartMugu:

Personally, getting a degree with a mindset of working for someone afterwards is a waste of time. I quit thinking like that several years ago.
Me too, I dnt fancy working for another person but it wudnt be a bad idea to have an xperience in my discipline. I really wish to know hw the labour market looks like. What companies can a zoologist submit he/her c.v.?

(1) (Reply)

“When You Are Eating, You Don’t Talk” – Lai Mohammed / A Nigerian clinched best graduating student in a Ghana university(photo) / JAMB 2016/2017 Change Of Course Begins: Read This Before Changing Your Course

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.