Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,846 members, 7,820,947 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:32 AM

Tips On How MTN Can Survive The NCC Fine - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Tips On How MTN Can Survive The NCC Fine (13798 Views)

What Will Happen To Bulk Sms With The NCC DO-NOT-DISTURB POLICY? / MTN Fails To Pay Ncc's Fine!!! Your Take Nairalanders / The NCC Fine On MTN: Right Or Wrong? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tips On How MTN Can Survive The NCC Fine by j4sure(m): 9:32am On Nov 09, 2015
How achieveable
Keneking:
On 26th October 2015, MTN Group was fined $5.24 billion (N1.4trillion) by the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) for failing to disconnect non-registered SIM cards. In light of this recent decision, I hereby recommend the following on how they can survive the impact of this decision.

A. Shareholders:

Shareholders should approve the payment of the $5.2bn before the due date. Changes in Shareholding structure is imminent and no delays is expected from the Group in this regard.The top echelon of the organisation should be re-organised starting with its management.

B. Topline:

The business topline for the remainder of the financial year i.e 1 November 2015 - 31 March 2016 should be revised. No doubt, subscribers would leave the network and earnings would drop significantly especially voice. Therefore profit and loss account should be revised to include the periods when the sanction becomes effective in this case since 2012.

C. Cost of Sales:

This would remain as there are already commitments with service providers based on scheduled plan. There is no need to revise the factors in profit and loss sheet.

D. Cost of Labour:

Management should as a matter of fact begin the process of reviewing contract costs with expatriates, already, there is an exchange rate hit (20%), a function of the devalued currency early in the year is significant cost to the company in the course of the financial year. An option to locate other expatriates in Asia is due e.g India, China and Indonesia. These professionals can be hired on need basis and terms of employment clearly chalked out.

An important note is that other outsourcing agencies can be engaged to commence the process of providing comparative and lower service cost from next financial year i.e 1 April 2016 - 31 March 2017.

Local employees can be committed to contract with non-key positions placed on secondment. No need to downsize.

E. Cost of Marketing:

-Local budget for marketing should be adopted. BTL (below the line) option most recommended.
-Highly capitalised marketing should be banned for next 5 years i.e post Year 2020
-Aggressive marketing in hinterland to be promoted.
-Discount on data and bundle opportunity should be created.
-Discount on voice should be created for youth and group target. New target should be created in this segment.

F. Cost of Finance:

Of course, the burden of settling NCC fine requires a huge cashflow. A phased payment/settlement is recommended. MTN Nigeria should enter into a phased settlement plan with NCC. A letter of comfort stating how and when this payment would be made should be made in line with Shareholders approval.

- cashflow concerns: as a result of the expected massive exit by subscribers in the short term, there might be deficit in cashflow of the local business. Therefore, a massive inflow of capital is now required. This can be achieved through local banks with a consortium likely to create the balance needed. Another option is find another partner in form of shareholder.

- finance cost: with the current interest rate of 16%-18% from local banks, an additional terminal loan would lead to increased liabilities and exposure to banks.

G. Partnership: Business to provide opportunity for corporate partnerships in the form of sell-off of non-performing part of the business. A proposal to sell its data arm and concentrate on voice would be a great idea.

In conclusion, communication is key for the business in Nigeria. Shareholders should address the public directly in the case of regulators, customers, public (internal and external) regularly. There is no need to apologise but rather provide action plans on how to keep the business going and to overcome the existing challenges in the country.

In the face of a new management and focus, the company can turnaround this enormous challenge in the next three to four years and bounce back in winning ways.
Re: Tips On How MTN Can Survive The NCC Fine by bettercreature(m): 9:33am On Nov 09, 2015
lekjons:
instead for them to do 1gb/1day @N100, the rate at which they'll gather money will be suprising..
And you thing they themselve are not paying for the data?
Re: Tips On How MTN Can Survive The NCC Fine by ocheejemb: 9:35am On Nov 09, 2015
You must be having a laugh.

Keneking:
On 26th October 2015, MTN Group was fined $5.24 billion (N1.4trillion) by the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) for failing to disconnect non-registered SIM cards. In light of this recent decision, I hereby recommend the following on how they can survive the impact of this decision.

A. Shareholders:

Shareholders should approve the payment of the $5.2bn before the due date. Changes in Shareholding structure is imminent and no delays is expected from the Group in this regard.The top echelon of the organisation should be re-organised starting with its management.

B. Topline:

The business topline for the remainder of the financial year i.e 1 November 2015 - 31 March 2016 should be revised. No doubt, subscribers would leave the network and earnings would drop significantly especially voice. Therefore profit and loss account should be revised to include the periods when the sanction becomes effective in this case since 2012.

C. Cost of Sales:

This would remain as there are already commitments with service providers based on scheduled plan. There is no need to revise the factors in profit and loss sheet.

D. Cost of Labour:

Management should as a matter of fact begin the process of reviewing contract costs with expatriates, already, there is an exchange rate hit (20%), a function of the devalued currency early in the year is significant cost to the company in the course of the financial year. An option to locate other expatriates in Asia is due e.g India, China and Indonesia. These professionals can be hired on need basis and terms of employment clearly chalked out.

An important note is that other outsourcing agencies can be engaged to commence the process of providing comparative and lower service cost from next financial year i.e 1 April 2016 - 31 March 2017.

Local employees can be committed to contract with non-key positions placed on secondment. No need to downsize.

E. Cost of Marketing:

-Local budget for marketing should be adopted. BTL (below the line) option most recommended.
-Highly capitalised marketing should be banned for next 5 years i.e post Year 2020
-Discount on voice should be created for youth and group target. New target should be created in this segment.

F. Cost of Finance:

Of course, the burden of settling NCC fine requires a huge cashflow. A phased payment/settlement is recommended. MTN Nigeria should enter into a phased settlement plan with NCC. A letter of comfort stating how and when this payment would be made should be made in line with Shareholders approval.

- cashflow concerns: as a result of the expected massive exit by subscribers in the short term, there might be deficit in cashflow of the local business. Therefore, a massive inflow of capital is now required. This can be achieved through local banks with a consortium likely to create the balance needed. Another option is find another partner in form of shareholder.

- finance cost: with the current interest rate of 16%-18% from local banks, an additional terminal loan would lead to increased liabilities and exposure to banks.

G. Partnership: Business to provide opportunity for corporate partnerships in the form of sell-off of non-performing part of the business. A proposal to sell its data arm and concentrate on voice would be a great idea.

In conclusion, communication is key for the business in Nigeria. Shareholders should address the public directly in the case of regulators, customers, public (internal and external) regularly. There is no need to apologise but rather provide action plans on how to keep the business going and to overcome the existing challenges in the country.

In the face of a new management and focus, the company can turnaround this enormous challenge in the next three to four years and bounce back in winning ways.
Re: Tips On How MTN Can Survive The NCC Fine by Proudlyjam: 9:36am On Nov 09, 2015
Visit www.proudlyjam.com for technology cheats all network available
Re: Tips On How MTN Can Survive The NCC Fine by lekjons(m): 9:37am On Nov 09, 2015
bettercreature:
And you thing they themselve are not paying for the data?
then how did airtel does it then??

or haven't u heard about airtel 1gb for 3days at N100?
Re: Tips On How MTN Can Survive The NCC Fine by lonelydora: 9:38am On Nov 09, 2015
We are watching.
Re: Tips On How MTN Can Survive The NCC Fine by seunayantokun(m): 9:40am On Nov 09, 2015
nnafather:
Op should be arrested for conspiracy. You are a partner in crime. MTN will not survive. NEVER. They have milked us...now, let's start milking them. This money follow for next year's budget of N8.4 trillion oooo....make I tell u. They must pay!!!!!

One of his suggestions is obviously bad. He wants MTN to yank off data service and concentrate on voice. The trend in telecom now is data. If in voice only you trust, you are set for 'ash for ash, dust for dust'.

2 Likes

Re: Tips On How MTN Can Survive The NCC Fine by lonelydora: 9:41am On Nov 09, 2015
Richie0974:
Op, are you (A) a shareholder, (B) a south African, (C) an MTN staff and (D) none of the above? undecided

The answer is D. For him to know their financial year.
Re: Tips On How MTN Can Survive The NCC Fine by Badgers14: 9:43am On Nov 09, 2015
They don talk am say every day is for the thief, one day is for the owner grin grin

MTN been dey fûck us up before, but at this great atyma.. Our turn don reach. grin grin May them do quick pay up jor grin grin

Just not happy the way SA business disregard our Nigerian societies.. Check shoprite, DSTV .. They chose which court judgement to adhere to... And now MTN
The next on the line would be DSTV.. angry
Re: Tips On How MTN Can Survive The NCC Fine by flokii: 9:50am On Nov 09, 2015
@OP no tips will work..
not with PMB govt.... might have in GEJ's govt.
Re: Tips On How MTN Can Survive The NCC Fine by idupaul: 9:50am On Nov 09, 2015
nnafather:
Op should be arrested for conspiracy. You are a partner in crime. MTN will not survive. NEVER. They have milked us...now, let's start milking them. This money follow for next year's budget of N8.4 trillion oooo....make I tell u. They must pay!!!!!

You are just a typical bitter Nigerian who believes every successful person or thing is responsible for his woes. If i ask you to outline 10 instances MTN fleeced U i am sure u wont be able

1 Like

Re: Tips On How MTN Can Survive The NCC Fine by hola106(m): 9:56am On Nov 09, 2015
Mtn stingy joor money dey dere hand @ list it nt a new firm so y ranting
Re: Tips On How MTN Can Survive The NCC Fine by Nobody: 9:57am On Nov 09, 2015
idupaul:

You are just a typical bitter Nigerian who believes every successful person or thing is responsible for his woes. If i ask you to outline 10 instances MTN fleeced U i am sure u wont be able
Obviously, you are a typical alien who is out in tune with things happening in Nigeria. With your kind, this country will not move forward. Enemy of the State.

1 Like

Re: Tips On How MTN Can Survive The NCC Fine by Raiders: 10:05am On Nov 09, 2015
nnafather:

Obviously, you are a typical alien who is out in tune with things happening in Nigeria. With your kind, this country will not move forward. Enemy of the State.
how is he enemy of the state when he is saying the truth. You claim mtn are thieves but can't give any evidence or proof that mtn stole money from you.
Re: Tips On How MTN Can Survive The NCC Fine by Toks2008(m): 10:06am On Nov 09, 2015
Keneking:

A. Shareholders:

B. Topline:

C. Cost of Sales:

D. Cost of Labour:

E. Cost of Marketing:

F. Cost of Finance:

My advice is that MTN should apologize to Nigerians and appeal to their subscribers to help them with Whatever they can afford i belive they will be able to raise a substantial sum and they can add teh rest..AOT did it years back so i dont see any big deal.

Nigerians are empathic people.
Re: Tips On How MTN Can Survive The NCC Fine by Raymonbell(m): 10:08am On Nov 09, 2015
Keneking:

A. Shareholders:

B. Topline:

C. Cost of Sales:

D. Cost of Labour:

E. Cost of Marketing:

F. Cost of Finance:

MTN is already buried in debt

In the solution you suggest above you failed to put the current debt issue of MTN into consideration. Few weeks ago this company is negotiating with Nigeria apex bank on how they intend to pay their debt. i hope you can reconsider some of your option and provide a comprehensive solution to the problem.
Re: Tips On How MTN Can Survive The NCC Fine by Raymonbell(m): 10:10am On Nov 09, 2015
Toks2008:

My advice is that MTN should apologize to Nigerians and appeal to their subscribers to help them with Whatever they can afford i belive they will be able to raise a substantial sum and they can add teh rest..AOT did it years back so i dont see any big deal.

Nigerians are empathic people.

apologising won't solve their problem and in this case they should just accept their faith and negotiate how they will pay their fine within the specified period.
Re: Tips On How MTN Can Survive The NCC Fine by Realdeals(m): 10:22am On Nov 09, 2015
They should just pay the fine and then get listed on the Nigerian stock exchange, trust me Nigeria will pounce on their shares. Proceed from this should be reinvested in marketing and better service. They will retain their No 1 status in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Tips On How MTN Can Survive The NCC Fine by DonBobes(m): 10:23am On Nov 09, 2015
Nicolars:
Op. I tynk u suld b telling MTN this and not us

abi o .:-/
Re: Tips On How MTN Can Survive The NCC Fine by charlesucheh(m): 10:25am On Nov 09, 2015
Nicolars:
Op. I tynk u suld b telling MTN this and not us
WALAHI!!! Dem fit even consider, Nak am Job sef,!!
Re: Tips On How MTN Can Survive The NCC Fine by Nobody: 10:34am On Nov 09, 2015
Me I don't care about MTN cos I don't use their thieving line and never will. I am more concerned with DSTV they need to send dat company into oblivion those people are serious scammers if only star times had the resources to buy premiership rights. *sighs* how I just wish.
Re: Tips On How MTN Can Survive The NCC Fine by cirmuell(m): 10:52am On Nov 09, 2015
nnafather:
cheesygrin
Re: Tips On How MTN Can Survive The NCC Fine by MrPresident1: 11:12am On Nov 09, 2015
tola9ja:
[size=18pt]The simplest way is to send 500 gig to all there subscribers valid for 6months and we will protest nation wide to stop the fine simple as ABC

mtn everywhere you go even inside grave [/size]

Gaskiya mallam, I agree with you 100 fahcent! grin
Re: Tips On How MTN Can Survive The NCC Fine by Dharnchuks(m): 11:26am On Nov 09, 2015
How did NCC even arrive at this amount? Did MTN's negligence in disconnecting unregistered sims, have such an adverse effect on Nigeria or the Federal Government to warrant this huge a fine? I would really like to know how that figure was reached..
Re: Tips On How MTN Can Survive The NCC Fine by ameynuJR(m): 11:31am On Nov 09, 2015
Nothing Concern Me
Re: Tips On How MTN Can Survive The NCC Fine by zebebe: 11:43am On Nov 09, 2015
GOOD DAY FRIENDS!,
I NOTICED MTN IS TAKEN US FOR GRANTED HERE IN NIGERIA BECAUSE THEY KNOW WE DON’T HAVE TIME TO SUE /COMPLAIN. I NOTICED THEY DEDUCTS MY MONEY WITHOUT SUBSCRIBING TO THEIR ADVERT BEEN SENT TO MY LINE. WHY SHOULD THEY SEND WHAT IS NOT USEFUL TO ME AND PUT IT ON AUTOMATIC RENEWAL ON WEEKLY BASIS. I TRIED TO STOP ONE OUT OF MANY AND IT DID NOT ACCEPT IT. THIS IS CHEATING ON US,
THEY KNOW MANY NIGERIANS DOENST HAVE TIME TO CHECK AND READ TEXT MESSAGES, SO THEY TAKE THIS ADVANTAGE AND SEND JUNKS AND PUT IT ON AUTOMATIC RENEWAL. ONE OUT OF MANY IS THIS “ ONE OUT OF MANY IS THIS “RELATIONSHIPS TIPS” AM ANNOYED AT MTN DESPITE THE FACT THAT IT IS MY MAIN LINE. THEY NEVER GIVE ME ONE NAIRA B4 INSTEAD THEY DEDUCTS MY MONEY.
I THOUGHT NCC HAD STOP THEM FROM SENDING JUNK MESSAGES TO CUSTOMER BEFORE
BASED ON THIS, I STRONGLY RECOMMEND THEY PAY THEIR FINE OF ONE TRILLION NAIRA FINE TO NCC WITHOUT FURTHER DELAY.
WHAT THEY CANNOT DO IN OTHER COUNTRIES IS WHAT THEY ARE DOING TO US HERE
Somebody should help me inform them to stop before they will be exposed.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tips On How MTN Can Survive The NCC Fine by miqos02(m): 12:26pm On Nov 09, 2015
ok
Re: Tips On How MTN Can Survive The NCC Fine by vooks: 12:30pm On Nov 09, 2015
RSA the most powerful and developed economy in Africa will intervene and the fine will be reduced to a fraction, at most a tenth of this.

Let's be honest. The fine has nothing to do with breach but pure m0ronic envy by Nigeria of the multinationals
Re: Tips On How MTN Can Survive The NCC Fine by dahmie2013: 12:42pm On Nov 09, 2015
Op, dats very sound. MTN shud even employ u, but a quick questn, are u saying MTN shud do a prior year adjustment 4rm 2012 cos of dis fine?
Re: Tips On How MTN Can Survive The NCC Fine by sirisiri34: 12:42pm On Nov 09, 2015
Re: Tips On How MTN Can Survive The NCC Fine by momove4real25(f): 12:54pm On Nov 09, 2015
Mtn needs to be furnished, but that's after govt might av provided jobs to unemployee out dre. Or direct each company to employ. BKS as dey are dragging dis issue, mtn may strt retrenching. Saddest thing is we get difrnt batch of corpers every year some are still duin job hunting. My advice is create job for all unemplyee den fine dem
Re: Tips On How MTN Can Survive The NCC Fine by Deeluv2010(m): 12:57pm On Nov 09, 2015
BREAKING NEWS! MTN CEO Resigns over N1.04tr NCC Fine

Mr. Sifiso Dabengwa, the Chief Executive Officer of MTN Group has resigned with immediate effect over the N1.04 trillion ($5.2bn) fine imposed on MTNN Nigeria by the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) for failing to deactivate unregistered SIM cards. The resignation of Dabengwa was announced by the company early Monday.

Meanwhile, feelers are also emerging that Mr. Michael Ikpoki, the CEO of MTN Nigeria and other top management staff might be sacked any moment in a house cleaning process that has already started at the Group’s head office in South Africa.

MTN Nigeria was recently fined $5.2bn by the Nigerian Communications Commission for failing to deactivate 5.1-million unregistered SIM cards on its network.

The company’s share price has been hard hit by the news, with the JSE last Monday temporarily suspending trading in MTN’s shares.

MTN said on Monday that Non-executive Chairman, Phuthuma Nhleko had agreed to act as executive chairman for a maximum period of six months while the company identified a successor for Dabengwa.

MTN spokesman Chris Maroleng told 702 Talk Radio that while Mr Dabengwa took the step to resign as "an honourable" gesture, this did not mean that he was at fault for the unregistered SIM card debacle in Nigeria.

The company is also being investigated by the JSE as it disclosed the Nigerian matter only when information started going public in Nigeria, even though it was fined in August.

Nigeria is MTN’s biggest market with 62-million customers, followed by South Africa.

MTN said: "The engagement with the Nigerian authorities on the Nigerian Communications Commission fine is continuing and shareholders will be advised as soon as there are any material developments on this matter."

The company also advised investors to "exercise caution when dealing in the company’s securities until a further announcement is made".
www.businessjournalng.com/breaking-news-mtn-ceo-resigns-over-n1-04tr-ncc-fine/

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nylon Production And Supply (plain And Printed / CBN BDC Ban Explained - Fisayo Fosudo / FG, States Debt Skyrockets To N10.84trn -DMO

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.