Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,089 members, 7,818,273 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:39 AM

Simple Guild To The Construction Of Timber Roof Truss In Nigeria - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Simple Guild To The Construction Of Timber Roof Truss In Nigeria (22964 Views)

Photos From The Construction Of Asaba Mall (shoprite) From Inception To Completi / Construction Of My 3bedroom Flat All Ensuite / The Construction Of 2-bedroom Twin Flats In Calabar (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Simple Guild To The Construction Of Timber Roof Truss In Nigeria by abdulwastecx(m): 3:56pm On Nov 03, 2015
I'm here again to present to you my ideas on how to design and construct an economical and aesthetically pleasing roof in Nigeria.
for this topic, i will be using one of Harney projects ( podosci and abdulwastecx) ongoing project as a case study.
this thread will try to shed lights and educate prospective home owner on how to choose floor plan design that will be pleasing in the eye, economical and will be durable over a long period of time.

case study one: construction of timber roof truss for a confidential nairalander
contractor : harney projects
Duration of roof work : nine days (including two Sundays)

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Simple Guild To The Construction Of Timber Roof Truss In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:11pm On Nov 03, 2015
Locked and loaded.

I like how you guys do your thing by interjecting new ideas into your work.

1 Like

Re: Simple Guild To The Construction Of Timber Roof Truss In Nigeria by abdulwastecx(m): 5:49pm On Nov 03, 2015
Here is the house before we start renovation

1 Like

Re: Simple Guild To The Construction Of Timber Roof Truss In Nigeria by abdulwastecx(m): 5:50pm On Nov 03, 2015
here is what we are looking to achieve

Re: Simple Guild To The Construction Of Timber Roof Truss In Nigeria by abdulwastecx(m): 5:59pm On Nov 03, 2015
Before we could start the roof work, due to the complex nature of the roof, we have to do a simple roof design sketch showing all the "roof tie beams .

here is the roof tie beam sketch

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Simple Guild To The Construction Of Timber Roof Truss In Nigeria by abdulwastecx(m): 6:10pm On Nov 03, 2015
here some general information and properties of hip roof ( German roof).
1.All the ridges and valleys (gutter) should be at 45 degree to the edge of the building
2.All the ridges and valleys (gutter) should be parallel to one another.
3. A reasonable spacing of 1.2m (4ft) should be adopted.
Re: Simple Guild To The Construction Of Timber Roof Truss In Nigeria by abdulwastecx(m): 6:14pm On Nov 03, 2015
bill of quantities for the roof truss work
2"(50mm) x 4" (100mm) hard timber for rafter, brace, king post and tie beam about 800nr
2" (50mm) x 3" (75mm) hard wood for purlin of about 1200nr
2"(50mm) x 2" (50mm) for noggin
Re: Simple Guild To The Construction Of Timber Roof Truss In Nigeria by abdulwastecx(m): 6:21pm On Nov 03, 2015
General roof properties:
1. number of inter corners (gutter, valley) =7nr
2. number of external corners ( ridges ) = 11nr
3. the longest dimension across a potential king post = 16.54m

Re: Simple Guild To The Construction Of Timber Roof Truss In Nigeria by abdulwastecx(m): 6:27pm On Nov 03, 2015
step; Determination of roof height = highest king post
the highest king post is determine using simple ''hypotenuse theorem"
assume height =h
length of the longest side = L

solution, the opposite = h, adjacent = L/2
I wanted to use a vertical slope of 35degree ( because i wanted a simple and medium high roof)
h = L/2 x tan 35 = 19ft ( note , L/2 = 27'2'')

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Simple Guild To The Construction Of Timber Roof Truss In Nigeria by abdulwastecx(m): 6:31pm On Nov 03, 2015
here are the tie beams

1 Share

Re: Simple Guild To The Construction Of Timber Roof Truss In Nigeria by abdulwastecx(m): 6:33pm On Nov 03, 2015
Due to the complexity of the roof, the height of building vary from the widest side to the narrowest side. Here are of the examples of such differences in height

Re: Simple Guild To The Construction Of Timber Roof Truss In Nigeria by abdulwastecx(m): 6:40pm On Nov 03, 2015
After all the king post have been placed and brazed through the help of builders plumb, the rafter are then nailed.
It is important to always start the hanging of rafters from either the ridge or valley.
this ridge/valley is then braced both laterally and vertically through the use of line.
A line is then connected between two ridge or between ridge and gable to serve as a level line used to control all other rafters in between

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Simple Guild To The Construction Of Timber Roof Truss In Nigeria by abdulwastecx(m): 6:41pm On Nov 03, 2015
the next step is the brazing of the rafter. The rafter braze is spaced at 5ft center to center.
Re: Simple Guild To The Construction Of Timber Roof Truss In Nigeria by abdulwastecx(m): 6:46pm On Nov 03, 2015
Next: nailing of purlin. The purline spacing is a function of the type of roofing sheet used.
For stone coated roofing sheet = spacing of 14 1/4'' or 14''
for aluminum long span step = 450mm
for long span plain roofing sheet = 900mm

1 Like

Re: Simple Guild To The Construction Of Timber Roof Truss In Nigeria by abdulwastecx(m): 6:49pm On Nov 03, 2015
Finally, the roof connector is attached to the roof truss through the tie beam

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Simple Guild To The Construction Of Timber Roof Truss In Nigeria by abdulwastecx(m): 6:53pm On Nov 03, 2015
Here is the finished roof truss

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Simple Guild To The Construction Of Timber Roof Truss In Nigeria by abdulwastecx(m): 6:57pm On Nov 03, 2015
Here is the front view of the roof

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Simple Guild To The Construction Of Timber Roof Truss In Nigeria by NL1960: 7:01pm On Nov 03, 2015
EgunMogaji:
Locked and loaded.

moi aussi.
Re: Simple Guild To The Construction Of Timber Roof Truss In Nigeria by abdulwastecx(m): 7:04pm On Nov 03, 2015
EgunMogaji:
Locked and loaded.

Thanks sir..
Re: Simple Guild To The Construction Of Timber Roof Truss In Nigeria by twinskenny(m): 9:32am On Nov 04, 2015
Good job

1 Like

Re: Simple Guild To The Construction Of Timber Roof Truss In Nigeria by spyder880(m): 9:57am On Nov 04, 2015
Very detailed, I like this roof. Good work.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Simple Guild To The Construction Of Timber Roof Truss In Nigeria by smiley001(m): 10:08am On Nov 04, 2015
Nothing to say.
Weldone Prof.

1 Like

Re: Simple Guild To The Construction Of Timber Roof Truss In Nigeria by abdulwastecx(m): 10:38am On Nov 04, 2015
spyder880:
Very detailed, I like this roof. Good work.

Thanks sir.... From the veteran itself
Re: Simple Guild To The Construction Of Timber Roof Truss In Nigeria by abdulwastecx(m): 10:42am On Nov 04, 2015
smiley001:
Nothing to say.

Weldone Prof.

Thanks sir.... I'm a learner oooo
Re: Simple Guild To The Construction Of Timber Roof Truss In Nigeria by abdulwastecx(m): 8:19pm On Nov 05, 2015
Installation of roofing sheet.
Roofing sheet type :stone coated tiles

Re: Simple Guild To The Construction Of Timber Roof Truss In Nigeria by Miscellaneous(m): 8:18am On Nov 06, 2015
abdulwastecx:
Before we could start the roof work, due to the complex nature of the roof, we have to do a simple roof design sketch showing all the "roof tie beams .

here is the roof tie beam sketch

hey man. thanks for the sketch. But how do u determine the shape of the roof from a house plan? I was making a house plan in autocad & I wanted to overlay the roof plan but I was stuck cos I don't know how to deterimine the ridges & other components of the roof… In your sketch, how did you come about such design of the roof even?
Re: Simple Guild To The Construction Of Timber Roof Truss In Nigeria by Miscellaneous(m): 8:21am On Nov 06, 2015
abdulwastecx:
here is what we are looking to achieve

These drawings what were they done with? Autocad?
Re: Simple Guild To The Construction Of Timber Roof Truss In Nigeria by twinskenny(m): 9:14am On Nov 06, 2015
cant wait to join you on this project.. thanks for your recommendation grin
Re: Simple Guild To The Construction Of Timber Roof Truss In Nigeria by abdulwastecx(m): 9:18am On Nov 06, 2015
Miscellaneous:

These drawings what were they done with? Autocad?
With Autocad I

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Simple Guild To The Construction Of Timber Roof Truss In Nigeria by abdulwastecx(m): 9:57am On Nov 06, 2015
Miscellaneous:

hey man. thanks for the sketch. But how do u determine the shape of the roof from a house plan? I was making a house plan in autocad & I wanted to overlay the roof plan but I was stuck cos I don't know how to deterimine the ridges & other components of the roof… In your sketch, how did you come about such design of the roof even?

Here are some tips for hip roof.
Shape of the roof is govern by shape of the floor plan, size of the plan etc.
Rule 1. Your ridges/gutter(valley) must all be parallel and must be at angle 45 degree to the building corners

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Simple Guild To The Construction Of Timber Roof Truss In Nigeria by Miscellaneous(m): 5:54pm On Nov 06, 2015
abdulwastecx:

Here are some tips for hip roof.
Shape of the roof is govern by shape of the floor plan, size of the plan etc.
Rule 1. Your ridges/gutter(valley) must all be parallel and must be at angle 45 degree to the building corners
Thanks very much. This statement really helped me think: "Shape of the roof is govern by shape of the floor plan, size of the plan"

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Berry Court Omole 7 Minutes Away From Alausa With C Of O Mainland Opportunity / 7 Things To Consider Before Renting An Apartment / Why Do People Behave Very Wicked Like This

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.