Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,312 members, 7,836,353 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 06:01 AM

Iran 'to Release' Reporter Saberi - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Iran 'to Release' Reporter Saberi (759 Views)

Mother Of Dead Cairo Reporter Publishes Gut-wrenching Final Text Messages / China Helped Iran To Capture Rq-170 Drone / "Iran To React Immediately If Attacked" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Iran 'to Release' Reporter Saberi by Macteejay2(m): 2:23pm On May 11, 2009
An court in Iran has cut US-Iranian reporter Roxana Saberi's jail sentence to two years suspended, and will free her later on Monday, her lawyer says.

The court heard Ms Saberi's appeal against her original eight-year prison sentence on Sunday, after an international outcry.

She will be able to leave the country but has been banned from working as a journalist in Iran for five years.

Ms Saberi was convicted of spying for the US in April but denies the charge.

The case sparked international attention and protests calling for her to be released. US President Barack Obama was among those who appealed on her behalf.

Washington has no diplomatic ties with Tehran, but said contact was made through Swiss intermediaries to determine whether Ms Saberi was being treated well.

There was also concern from within Iran: film director Bahman Ghobadi, whose work has won prizes in Cannes and Berlin, said Ms Saberi was a victim of Iran's "political games".

Her father Reza expressed joy at the ruling and said he and his wife Akiko were on the way to collect Roxana Saberi from the jail, describing her as "practically free"

Re: Iran 'to Release' Reporter Saberi by ElRazur: 2:26pm On May 11, 2009
It was only a matter of time.

She should be glad she wasn't hanged without a chance for appeal.
Re: Iran 'to Release' Reporter Saberi by Macteejay2(m): 2:36pm On May 11, 2009
ElRazur:

It was only a matter of time.

She should be glad she wasn't hanged without a chance for appeal.

Abi O! She was very lucky indeed. Bro hw u dey?
Re: Iran 'to Release' Reporter Saberi by ElRazur: 3:00pm On May 11, 2009
Macteejay2:

Abi O! She was very lucky indeed. Bro hw u dey?

I'm good.

People have been hanged for lesser things. A woman recently - last week- got hanged. The manner and handling of her death sentence was questionable. But hey, this is iran. undecided

I suppose with this case, the whole world was watching and they knew something had to be done. First she was charged with reporting without license or something similar, and all of a sudden in a closed tribunal, Charged with counts of spying and then straight to jail lol. Even naija will probably do better lol.
Re: Iran 'to Release' Reporter Saberi by MrCrackles(m): 3:22pm On May 11, 2009
She is definitely lucky! grin

Maybe this close shave will make her think twice about crossing into volatile regions of the world!
Re: Iran 'to Release' Reporter Saberi by ElRazur: 3:32pm On May 11, 2009
But she is of dual citizenship. Having said that, Iran do not recognise dual-citizen ship. And for the purpose of this trial, she was tried as an Iranian. But I guess the US recognised her and hence the interest and indirect pressure?
Re: Iran 'to Release' Reporter Saberi by SeanT21(f): 4:47am On May 12, 2009
I been following her journey on CNN. Glad 2 know that she is gonna be release. Her parents must be happy!!
Re: Iran 'to Release' Reporter Saberi by bluespice(f): 1:24pm On May 12, 2009
and they wonder why virtually the whole world is against them undecided

how can u decide to hang someone on a notion?
Re: Iran 'to Release' Reporter Saberi by sleekp1: 8:24pm On May 13, 2009
bluespice:

how can u decide to hang someone on a notion?

She's not the only Iranian American in Tehran, you can't just hang someone on a whim or notion, haba.
They were being nice to Obama when they released her, they believed she was a low level CIA operative.
Re: Iran 'to Release' Reporter Saberi by RichyBlacK(m): 8:50pm On May 13, 2009
ElRazur:

But she is of dual citizenship. Having said that, Iran do not recognise dual-citizen ship. And for the purpose of this trial, she was tried as an Iranian. But I guess the US recognised her and hence the interest and indirect pressure?

Anybody see the contradiction here?

ElRazur, can you clarify?
Re: Iran 'to Release' Reporter Saberi by ElRazur: 9:59pm On May 13, 2009
RichyBlacK:

Anybody see the contradiction here?

ElRazur, can you clarify?

Erm. She's an American-Iranian according to reports. However, Iran do not recognise dual citizenship - which in this case may allow US to lobby for her - and hence she was tried as an Iranian instead.

Is that good enough for you? smiley
Re: Iran 'to Release' Reporter Saberi by Nobody: 9:13pm On May 15, 2009
She's lucky she was born in the US. She would have been hanged by now.
Re: Iran 'to Release' Reporter Saberi by ElRazur: 8:42am On May 16, 2009
Can RichyBlack at least come back and say something?
Re: Iran 'to Release' Reporter Saberi by bawomolo(m): 5:17pm On May 16, 2009
ElRazur:

Can RichyBlack at least come back say something?

RichyBlack doesn't criticize the following countries.

Iran, Russia,Cuba and Venezuela.

You must be new around here.
Re: Iran 'to Release' Reporter Saberi by iniguy(m): 5:40pm On May 16, 2009
I knew she was going to be released by the Iranian authorities in the long run., thats the benefit of having american citizenship.Kudos to the world press for highllighting her situation. A big blow to The Iranians
Re: Iran 'to Release' Reporter Saberi by ElRazur: 12:23am On May 17, 2009
bawomolo:

bawomolo:

I am giving him the benefit of "being new around here" lol.

I honestly do not see the contradiction he is claiming I have made. He's asked me to re-explain and I did, yet he wont say nothing anymore,  undecided Only that I do not see how I contradicted myself in the first place.
Re: Iran 'to Release' Reporter Saberi by nolongTing: 4:26pm On May 18, 2009
davidylan:

She's lucky she was born in the US. She would have been hanged by now.

Thank God for Hillary!
Re: Iran 'to Release' Reporter Saberi by ElRazur: 6:37pm On May 18, 2009
Richy Black, aint you gonna say 5hit? smiley

(1) (Reply)

Regime "crumbling" As Fighting Rocks Tripoli, Libya Capital / China Pushes Asean To Replace Usd With Yuan / Hugo Chávez, R.I.P.: He Empowered The Poor And Gutted Venezuela

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.