Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,434 members, 7,819,577 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:23 PM

How To Become A Better Programmer - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / How To Become A Better Programmer (1566 Views)

8 Ways To Become A Better Coder/programmer / Which Is A Better Title: Software Developer Or Software Engineer / Which Is A Better Rewarding Career, Programming Or Networking? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Become A Better Programmer by Diakon(m): 2:44am On Nov 04, 2015
I. Attitudes
1. Never think you’ve written the best possible code, or even your best possible, to solve that problem. There’s always a better way. After all, it’s possible that assignment was just plain easy.

2. Develop a (good) work ethic. Learn to discipline yourself as a programmer. Make rules and keep at it. Set up schedules, set goals, make plans.
3. Deal with developaralysis. Remain focused on where you’re going and refuse to budge.
4. Determine to improve (every week, at the least). Make a conscious assessment of your skills and analyse what new knowledge you’ve gained over the past week.
5. Never feel superior. You know that feeling when you’re telling complete newbies about manipulating memory via bits and pointers, and they’re just looking at you with awe on their faces, saying things like “man, this guy is bad…”. Stop. Take a deep breath and deflate that big head. It’s not gonna help you get better at all, because you’ll keep thinking you’re so far ahead, when you actually haven’t gone anywhere.
6. Savour your work. I know I just finished saying what seems like the opposite, but I mean it. Learn yo savour your work. When you solve a tough problem, be glad. Sing and dance… And get back to work. But don’t brag.

II. Actions & Practices
1. Code from a variety of viewpoints. By this I mean that when solving a problem, you work out the best solutions in terms of (for instance) i) speed ii) memory management iii) handling of unexpected input iv) algorithmic efficiency etc.

See more at:https://shalvahadebayo./2015/11/04/how-to-become-a-better-programmer/

Senior programmers in the house (and newbies too), please make your contributions.

2 Likes

Re: How To Become A Better Programmer by Fulaman198(m): 3:56am On Nov 04, 2015
Diakon:
I. Attitudes
1. Never think you’ve written the best possible code, or even your best possible, to solve that problem. There’s always a better way. After all, it’s possible that assignment was just plain easy.

2. Develop a (good) work ethic. Learn to discipline yourself as a programmer. Make rules and keep at it. Set up schedules, set goals, make plans.
3. Deal with developaralysis. Remain focused on where you’re going and refuse to budge.
4. Determine to improve (every week, at the least). Make a conscious assessment of your skills and analyse what new knowledge you’ve gained over the past week.
5. Never feel superior. You know that feeling when you’re telling complete newbies about manipulating memory via bits and pointers, and they’re just looking at you with awe on their faces, saying things like “man, this guy is bad…”. Stop. Take a deep breath and deflate that big head. It’s not gonna help you get better at all, because you’ll keep thinking you’re so far ahead, when you actually haven’t gone anywhere.
6. Savour your work. I know I just finished saying what seems like the opposite, but I mean it. Learn yo savour your work. When you solve a tough problem, be glad. Sing and dance… And get back to work. But don’t brag.

II. Actions & Practices
1. Code from a variety of viewpoints. By this I mean that when solving a problem, you work out the best solutions in terms of (for instance) i) speed ii) memory management iii) handling of unexpected input iv) algorithmic efficiency etc.

See more at:https://shalvahadebayo./2015/11/04/how-to-become-a-better-programmer/

Senior programmers in the house (and newbies too), please make your contributions.

Well said, Linus Torvalds needs to read this.

2 Likes

Re: How To Become A Better Programmer by Diakon(m): 6:49am On Nov 04, 2015
Fulaman198 thanks. Anything helpful to add?
Re: How To Become A Better Programmer by jacob05(m): 7:15am On Nov 04, 2015
Fulaman198:

1 Like

Re: How To Become A Better Programmer by jacob05(m): 7:19am On Nov 04, 2015
Fulaman198:

don't insult the father of the OS I love and the one others copied just because he gave a response to a "shitty" code a programmer like yourself wrote. Phew angry angry angry

1 Like

Re: How To Become A Better Programmer by Fulaman198(m): 7:21am On Nov 04, 2015
Diakon:
Fulaman198 thanks. Anything helpful to add?

Sure my advice to being a better programmer is to take things 1 step at a time. Writing a programme is like solving a problem. First, find out what you are trying to solve, and set up a step by step approach to solve the problem. Some people like to use flow charts (I personally don't like using them, but hey, if it works for you, it works). But what i do personally when writing a programme is that I take it from a step to step approach. I test the programme in phases throughout the entire process before establishing the finished product. You improve with time of course. The best way not to catch yourself writing sloppy code is to start on a project early and add newer/better implementations with time. That's why there are various release cycles for many programmes. I hope that is a good contribution from my part.
Re: How To Become A Better Programmer by Fulaman198(m): 7:23am On Nov 04, 2015
jacob05:
don't insult the father of the OS I love and the one others copied just because he gave a response to a "shitty" code a programmer like yourself wrote. Phew angry angry angry

Linux is a great OS and i love the various distros. The only problem I have with Linus is in the way he curses people with guttersnipe language (the f-bomb). Yelling at people and openly exposing them for mistakes is not a productive means of getting them to improve. There are various ways to remain positive and give great criticism. He doesn't need to be so foul-mouthed, it makes people dislike his personality.
Re: How To Become A Better Programmer by Diakon(m): 8:22am On Nov 04, 2015
Fulaman198:

Sure my advice to being a better programmer is to take things 1 step at a time. Writing a programme is like solving a problem. First, find out what you are trying to solve, and set up a step by step approach to solve the problem. Some people like to use flow charts (I personally don't like using them, but hey, if it works for you, it works). But what i do personally when writing a programme is that I take it from a step to step approach. I test the programme in phases throughout the entire process before establishing the finished product. You improve with time of course. The best way not to catch yourself writing sloppy code is to start on a project early and add newer/better implementations with time. That's why there are various release cycles for many programmes. I hope that is a good contribution from my part.
It is. Unfortunately, many newbies/amateurs (myself included) want to just jump right into writing that code. It's hard being patient, but I'll begin enforcing it personally. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: How To Become A Better Programmer by Fulaman198(m): 10:09am On Nov 04, 2015
Diakon:

It is. Unfortunately, many newbies/amateurs (myself included) want to just jump right into writing that code. It's hard being patient, but I'll begin enforcing it personally. Thanks.

Like any difficult problem in mathematics and science, computer science is a science (Many people just don't understand that it is). It has to be broken down and reassembled like a puzzle. That's why you take it 1 step at a time. That's what makes programming fun. You are using your brain to solve a difficult problem one step at a time.
Re: How To Become A Better Programmer by thewebcraft(m): 10:09pm On Nov 04, 2015
Nice One
Re: How To Become A Better Programmer by dimexilux(m): 1:20pm On Nov 06, 2015
well said man
Re: How To Become A Better Programmer by ogheneserome(m): 4:59pm On Nov 06, 2015
Can someone help by teaching me programming at his free time in lagos?
please

(1) (Reply)

Someone Should Help Me Solve This C++ Question Please / Practical C#/web Programming For Beginners ** Enter Here ** / How Beneficial Is Forum4africa? nairaland critique

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.