Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,931 members, 7,835,111 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 04:41 AM

Letter Of A Concerned Unilorite - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Letter Of A Concerned Unilorite (1573 Views)

UNILORIN & Tablet PC, Wifi And Sweatshirts: By A Concerned Student Of UNILORIN / We Failed, Yet Again - A Write Up By A Concerned OAU Student / Hilarious Letter Of A Secondary School Girl (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Letter Of A Concerned Unilorite by koppa(m): 4:15pm On Nov 04, 2015
When shall will stop extorting ourselves?

Good day all Unilorites, i am writing this piece in a state of disappointment. 29th May 2015 remains a day of history in this country of ours as a new Sheriff (as our president is called) came to town. The president brought his change agenda and coincidentally our mini government on campus (SU) adopted and modified it to Positive change. This I felt was a good initiative.

With d adoption of TSA of the federal Government, we discovered our School fees was reduced and we all were in a joyous mood chanting Praises of Buhari bt surprisingly, within 48 hrs all was history. A compulsory levy of 7000 naira was added to the school fees with 5000 for school WiFi and 2000 for sweat shirt.

Now I ask myself, is this the idea of Positive change? Y are the students grumbling and not bold enough to confront the people they voted in? This is an Institution that has a President with his cabinet, Senate President with other senators. Were they voted in to just appoint committees and collect salaries? Of what use is the school WiFi to students staying off campus? Students of social science faculty and Arts Faculty have no access to the WiFi and u expect them to pay for this. Majority of we students have our modems that we subscribe on at our convenience and yet u made d WiFi which it is sure will not be accessible during academic period compulsory for us. Seriously this is 1st Grade extortion. We all want the real positive change and not a positive change on social media or papers. The entire Unilorin say no to compulsory payment for WiFi, it should be a thing of interest and nt mandatory. SU President and CEC members, Senate President and the council, this is where we need u people to represent us, give us the true example of the Positive change u preach. "Economic Justice can be won by free men through free enterprise". #saynotobandwithpayment.

Mods please push this to frontpage
Cc
Lalasticlala

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Letter Of A Concerned Unilorite by whizqueen(f): 8:17pm On Nov 04, 2015
I really don't understand how things are turning out to be in that school sef.

2011 - 2015 my total tuition fee was less than 100k
Acceptance fee was around 5k
Now 100 level students pay about 100k for just one session! 20k for acceptance fee!!

Is that how it is supposed to be? In a school we claim to be government subsidised. Isn't WiFi supposed to be free and available for all? Are we expected to pay for every little thing we benefit from the school? And we are talking about attaining free education cry

Why do we need to make life unbearable for the masses and education unaffordable? It's really so sad! Infact disheartening sad

Even foreign students are entitled to free WiFi and automatic hostel bedspaces. Meanwhile we Indigenes will have to lobby around in other to "find a way" to get hostel accommodation, something we will still pay for. Now they are making payment for WiFi compulsory again. undecided

Change isn't enough for this country, we need total cleansing angry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Letter Of A Concerned Unilorite by TheMainMan: 8:49pm On Nov 04, 2015
whizqueen:

Now 100 level students pay about 100k for just one session! 20k for acceptance fee!!

Is that how it is supposed to be? In a school we claim to be government subsidised. Isn't WiFi supposed to be free and available for all? Are we expected to pay for every little thing we benefit from the school? And we are talking about attaining free education cry

Why do we need to make life unbearable for the masses and education unaffordable? It's really so sad! Infact disheartening sad

Even foreign students are entitled to free WiFi and automatic hostel bedspaces. Meanwhile we Indigenes will have to lobby around in other to "find a way" to get hostel accommodation, something we will still pay for. Now they are making payment for WiFi compulsory again. undecided

.. Hmmm...
Re: Letter Of A Concerned Unilorite by Nobody: 9:31pm On Nov 04, 2015
just on Monday that I checked my portal my school fees was 15000 plus, and I was really happy.
only for me to see 22 000 plus this morning when I checked again.
The funny thing is that I don't think you can proceed with the course registration without paying the bandwidth and SU charges.

They Should keep their freaking Wi-Fi or make it optional.And I don't need their mumu SU sweat shirt.
undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Letter Of A Concerned Unilorite by haywhy911(m): 10:11pm On Nov 04, 2015
Unilorin! This is not fair na. #YeyeDeySmell
Re: Letter Of A Concerned Unilorite by Jerryspan(m): 10:25pm On Nov 04, 2015
haywhy911:
Unilorin! This is not fair na. #YeyeDeySmell
lolssss.guy!
Re: Letter Of A Concerned Unilorite by Psalmmie001(m): 10:36pm On Nov 04, 2015
whizqueen:

#TotalCleansing.. cheesy
Re: Letter Of A Concerned Unilorite by haywhy911(m): 10:45pm On Nov 04, 2015
Jerryspan:
lolssss.guy!
lol. Tom and Jerry! Unilorin dey eff up,i swear
Re: Letter Of A Concerned Unilorite by Nobody: 11:30pm On Nov 04, 2015
Seriosly, i tire for unilorin o. Shey i shouldnt go home again cos of free wifi in school or what if i dont have a browsing phone? They sha want to extort us since fg demands that fees be paid directly to them. This is where our sug should come in but i wonder.......
Re: Letter Of A Concerned Unilorite by koppa(m): 8:00am On Nov 05, 2015
This is what the president had to say about the whole melodrama surrounding the bandwith and sweat shirt... And I quote;

'"Not every time Aluta spirit, vibrancy and doggedness sometimes calm down reflect on things. Did you consider if the fees were reduced in the first instance so as to accommodate the bandwidth and sweatshirt? It's not as if 7250 was added even after the fees were already between the range of our usual fees. Things still stand between range as far as I'm concerned. To whom it may concern stop abusing the term "justice" and students voice so that when we're actually speaking and not just making noise we can be heard'.

Guess we have a way forward.
Re: Letter Of A Concerned Unilorite by vlamidir: 8:53am On Nov 05, 2015
One reason I never regret ever choosing the Greatest Ife. But, are u rili beta by far?
Re: Letter Of A Concerned Unilorite by baruzeez(m): 12:02pm On Nov 05, 2015
vlamidir:
One reason I never regret ever choosing the Greatest Ife. But, are u rili beta by far?
the same reason u spent 5 years for a four years course

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Letter Of A Concerned Unilorite by Nobody: 4:28am On Nov 06, 2015
You guys are gonna protest over WiFi? Come on, it's a good initiative that's long overdue.

Even buses have WiFi these days and yes someone has to pay for it --it's bloody you!

Damn, you guys should even have protested that there's no WiFi in an academic environment.

Really!?
Re: Letter Of A Concerned Unilorite by vlamidir: 11:05am On Nov 06, 2015
baruzeez:
the same reason u spent 5 years for a four years course
Yeah... At least i won't be half-baked at the mercies of the Almighty Calender and self-centered lecturers.
Re: Letter Of A Concerned Unilorite by whizqueen(f): 1:02pm On Nov 06, 2015
vlamidir:
Yeah... At least i won't be half-baked at the mercies of the Almighty Calender and self-centered lecturers.
Spare me all that please!
Like there isn't self-centered lecturers in your school? undecided

Continue enjoying your 6 years in school for a 4 year course and service year after two years when your mates have finished school and made enough money you just start submitting job applications for a 23 year old job ad at 35 years of age tongue undecided
Re: Letter Of A Concerned Unilorite by vlamidir: 1:26pm On Nov 06, 2015
whizqueen:

Continue enjoying your 6 years in school for a 4 year course and service year after two years when your mates have finished school and made enough money you just start submitting job applications for a 23 year old job ad at 35 years of age tongue undecided
Ife has a long standing record of producing movers and shakers both home and abroad. Ur half-baked graduates spoil the Law School record every year. We just don't graduate, we're great. Check through my post, I didn't aim any jibe at you, you just did. I refuse to return d favour- That's called maturity. Figures speak for us. I'm done with you.
Re: Letter Of A Concerned Unilorite by Nobody: 1:35pm On Nov 06, 2015
That's serious tho....

One of the reasons why I love the premier University, University of Ibadan!Indeed,the first and best!Affordable and comfortable!

Paying for WiFi? That's serious
Re: Letter Of A Concerned Unilorite by Nobody: 1:47pm On Nov 06, 2015
whizqueen:

lol bisola o gbadun dada dada grin
Re: Letter Of A Concerned Unilorite by ayodijex(m): 3:03pm On Nov 06, 2015
treasuremabel:
Seriosly, i tire for unilorin o. Shey i shouldnt go home again cos of free wifi in school or what if i dont have a browsing phone? They sha want to extort us since fg demands that fees be paid directly to them. This is where our sug should come in but i wonder.......

Lool.. So unilorin actually has a functioning SUG??...
Now its more serious.
Re: Letter Of A Concerned Unilorite by whizqueen(f): 7:34pm On Nov 06, 2015
vlamidir:
Ife has a long standing record of producing movers and shakers both home and abroad. Ur half-baked graduates spoil the Law School record every year. We just don't graduate, we're great. Check through my post, I didn't aim any jibe at you, you just did. I refuse to return d favour- That's called maturity. Figures speak for us. I'm done with you.
@emboldened continue living on past glories and let's see how far it takes you.
You called us half-baked and that ain't a jibe? I'm not gonna exchange words with you, so have a good night rest bro kiss
Re: Letter Of A Concerned Unilorite by heayey(m): 4:18am On Nov 10, 2015
My view as a unilorite....... although my school fee has been reduced, thanks to TSA. Then the school made compulsory bandwidth and sweatshirt payment 7k. The facility should be free within the school but we are made to pay for it. I guess this is the new alternative to extort money from we students. Freshers are gonna pay 36,750 for tablet & bandwith charges. For God sake... who told'em we need sweatshirts, I just don't know why we keep on doing this. we just gonna talk n talk... I hope this can be thoroughly looked into. Sometimes I wonder cos change isn't really enough for us in this country.

(1) (Reply)

The Experience Of A Nairalander In A Northern School / South East States Top WAEC Ranking, Northern Schools Rank Low / 20 Reasons to Study Medical Courses In Philippines

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.