Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,954 members, 7,817,797 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:55 PM

Are Tattoos Sinful? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Are Tattoos Sinful? (1111 Views)

Nigerian Man Says IVF Is Sinful / Is There Anything Like Sinful Haircut? / Did you know that Pull Out Game Is Sinful? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Tattoos Sinful? by KINGOFJAPAN: 11:36am On Nov 07, 2015
I wanted to get a tattoo but was warned by some peeps that's it's a great sin to God...
Re: Are Tattoos Sinful? by Nobody: 11:38am On Nov 07, 2015
yes it is

1 Like

Re: Are Tattoos Sinful? by tmxme(m): 11:44am On Nov 07, 2015
Saw this sign post inside Oyo.. grin oga o

Re: Are Tattoos Sinful? by psucc(m): 12:07pm On Nov 07, 2015
Come to think of it, why did God not design you that way?
Re: Are Tattoos Sinful? by herald9: 12:15pm On Nov 07, 2015
KINGOFJAPAN:
I wanted to get a tattoo but was warned by some peeps that's it's a great sin to God...
Kikkiki... To which god? You should rather be concerned about the societal stigma.
Re: Are Tattoos Sinful? by KINGOFJAPAN: 12:29pm On Nov 07, 2015
osedvgirl:
yes it is
How please.. Mind throwing more light?
Re: Are Tattoos Sinful? by KINGOFJAPAN: 12:31pm On Nov 07, 2015
psucc:
Come to think of it, why did God not design you that way?
God didn't design women with make up buh it's a norm now for women to wear make up

2 Likes

Re: Are Tattoos Sinful? by KINGOFJAPAN: 12:33pm On Nov 07, 2015
herald9:

Kikkiki... To which god? You should rather be concerned about the societal stigma.
You must be an atheist grin

2 Likes

Re: Are Tattoos Sinful? by herald9: 1:08pm On Nov 07, 2015
KINGOFJAPAN:
You must be an atheist grin
LOL.

My body is my personal possession and not a rental property, and as such I can do whatever I want with it.

My only consideration is people's interpretations, cause we are our own judges... And not some invisible gods.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Tattoos Sinful? by AfricanApple(f): 3:01pm On Nov 07, 2015
tmxme:
Saw this sign post inside Oyo.. grin oga o
grin grin grin that land owner really sabi. na wetin fit Nigerians be that grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are Tattoos Sinful? by tmxme(m): 3:06pm On Nov 07, 2015
Lol
Re: Are Tattoos Sinful? by Anas09: 7:38pm On Nov 07, 2015
@KingofJapan.
Tattoo is a sin.

Leviticus 19v28- you shall not make any cutting in your flesh for the dead, nor print (Tattoo) any marks upon you...

Some peeps will argur that its Old testament. But if that's the case, we shd have our siblings as wives and husbands, even our parents. We shd freely commit homosexuality and beastiality.

Now you know.
Re: Are Tattoos Sinful? by dearsly(m): 7:57pm On Nov 07, 2015
herald9:

LOL.

My body is my personal possession and not a rental property, and as such I can do whatever I want with it.

My only consideration is people's interpretations, cause we are our own judges... And not some invisible gods.

Ya body is the temple of the holy spirit!
Re: Are Tattoos Sinful? by herald9: 8:02pm On Nov 07, 2015
dearsly:

Ya body is the temple of the holy spirit!
Is it gay?
Re: Are Tattoos Sinful? by FKO1(m): 9:04pm On Nov 07, 2015
Anas09:
@KingofJapan.
Tattoo is a sin.

Leviticus 19v28- you shall not make any cutting in your flesh for the dead, nor print (Tattoo) any marks upon you...

Some peeps will argur that its Old testament. But if that's the case, we shd have our siblings as wives and husbands, even our parents. We shd freely commit homosexuality and beastiality.

Now you know.
People often confused this verse..

@op
Christians often ask whether there is anything sinful about getting a tattoo. In answering the question, some cite the reference in Leviticus 19:28 : "You shall not make any cuts on your body for the dead or tattoo yourselves: I am the Lord." To properly address the question we need to understand and think about a few things.

First, this portion of Leviticus is addressing Israel's behavior and also how they should interact with the pagan nations around them.
There are a number of seemingly odd verses in this passage, including verse 19 that says: "You shall keep my statutes. You shall not let your cattle breed with a different kind. You shall not sow your field with two kinds of seed, nor shall you wear a garment of cloth made of two kinds of material." Wait a minuteā€¦ Does God really care about things like wool/polyester blends?
Part of what God is doing in this passage is prescribing a variety of physical reminders for the people that hammer home spiritual truths. In verse 19, He's basically telling them that a garment made of a singular material is a reminder for them not to take the pure, singular faith given to them by God and mix it together with the pagan religions that were around them.

So why the prohibition on tattoos? Because one of the physical characteristics of the pagan communities around Israel was that they marked themselves with tattoos. God did not want Israel to identify themselves or be externally identified in any way with these nations, including how they physically looked.

By way of a modern day example: today it is perfectly fine for women to wear pantyhose. However, pantyhose were popularized by prostitutes in Italy hundreds of years ago. So, if an Italian pastor back then asked the ladies of his congregation to not wear pantyhose, it would be because he didn't want them to be identified with prostitution and thus telegraph the thought that the Church was involved in such immorality.

Scripture makes it clear that God cares about the inside of a person more than the outside. "Man looks on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart" (1 Samuel 16:7 ).

Jesus said, "What comes out of a person is what defiles him. For from within, out of the heart of man, come evil thoughts, sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery, coveting, wickedness, deceit, sensuality, envy, slander, pride, foolishness. All these evil things come from within, and they defile a person" ( Mark 7:20-23 ).

1 Like

Re: Are Tattoos Sinful? by ikorodureporta: 3:01am On Nov 08, 2015
KINGOFJAPAN:

its fashionable na.....wear am till u start facing d conseq....
Re: Are Tattoos Sinful? by KINGOFJAPAN: 6:42am On Nov 08, 2015
ikorodureporta:

its fashionable na.....wear am till u start facing d conseq....
what consequences exactly?
Re: Are Tattoos Sinful? by SAMBARRY: 7:50am On Nov 08, 2015
If so what's your view concerning ear piercings and male circumcission or giving of tribal marks.

ISN'T THAT PART OF MAKING CUTTINGS IN YOU FLESH
Anas09:
@KingofJapan.
Tattoo is a sin.

Now you know.
Re: Are Tattoos Sinful? by openmine(m): 8:36am On Nov 08, 2015
everything a christian or believer says or does must be done with the intent of love...
no matter who we are,there are people unknown to us that look up to us either for inspiration,imitation or imagination... a very popular actor in an interview with an entertainment channel said he stopped smoking d very day a child told him dat he wud love 2 smoke cigar like d actor...dat was wen it dawned on him dat people r looking up to him....
same thing is applicable in Christianity, Dats y Jesus first asked his disciples what people's perception about him was,he also asked his disciples d same thing...
All our actions and intents must be done with love's reward.."let ur light(intents and purposes) so shine before men that they may see ur GOOD DEEDS and praise ur father God in heaven"..Matthew 5:16
Re: Are Tattoos Sinful? by Anas09: 7:41am On Nov 11, 2015
Good point @openmind. You ve blessed me.

@SAMBARRY. If you are a student of the Bible, shd know that there's no place the scripture forbits women from wearing earings, but I feel when it gets to piercing three points in one ear, piercing the navel, the tongue, the nose for earings then I don't ve what to say again. because earings were for the purpose of identification.
Male circumcision originally was commanded and instructed to be done by God. As a ensign or a token that we are in a covenant together with God. But Christ replaced that covenant with a new covenant. Now its no longer the cutting off of a piece of skin but the circumcision of our hearts. Now circumcision is done not as a token of covenant, but for neatness.

But, Tatooing is prohibited just like other acts outlined in Levicus, because their origins are deep in idol worship, just like a commentor up has said.
Maybe U, the Op shd ask google the origin of Tattoos, and the purpose.
Re: Are Tattoos Sinful? by SAMBARRY: 7:45am On Nov 11, 2015
So what's the difference between tatoo and ear piercings. Aren't they the same as BODY CUTTING wink
Anas09:
Good point @openmind. You ve blessed me.

@SAMBARRY. If you are a student of the Bible, shd know that there's no place the scripture forbits women from wearing earings, but I feel when it gets to piercing three points in one ear, piercing the navel, the tongue, the nose for earings then I don't ve what to say again. because earings were for the purpose of identification.
Male circumcision originally was commanded and instructed to be done by God. As a ensign or a token that we are in a covenant together with God. But Christ replaced that covenant with a new covenant. Now its no longer the cutting off of a piece of skin but the circumcision of our hearts. Now circumcision is done not as a token of covenant, but for neatness.

But, Tatooing is prohibited just like other acts outlined in Levicus, because their origins are deep in idol worship, just like a commentor up has said.
Maybe U, the Op shd ask google the origin of Tattoos, and the purpose.
Re: Are Tattoos Sinful? by Anas09: 9:48am On Nov 11, 2015
@ SAMBARY, well. I don't think I want to get into this arguement. You wanted to know if Biblically Tattooing is wrong and I gave u a verse. You are now delving into other stuff. Do what you want.
For me though. Anything am not clear about, I go to Google. So I'll say again, go to Google, but am not sure u r looking for the truth, u want arguement I guess.

(1) (Reply)

When U Still Want A Chic And Religious Wedding / Shocker:pastor Anita React To Reconciliation Rumour(photos) / Round The Clock Protection - Joseph Prince

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.