Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,597 members, 7,809,168 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:34 AM

Should I Be Bothered About Leaving? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should I Be Bothered About Leaving? (3901 Views)

What I Learnt From Leaving My Teaching Job / Can I Be A Lecturer In The University? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should I Be Bothered About Leaving? by MathsChic(f): 8:23am On Nov 08, 2015
I have a thing that has been bothering me recently, so I want to share with you to seek advice.

I work in a segment of the financial industry where, to put it succintly, you don't make a mistake. Better put, you shouldn't make a mistake. It's not advisable. If you do make one mistake, you are most certainly gonna get fired. Everyone understands this and tries their best to adjust.

Work is complex and full of numerous procedures you have to learn through and through. It is expected that you should understand these procedures and try as much as possible not to make a mistake associated with human error. Now, unfortunately, I made a nasty mistake some weeks ago. But the company didn't release me. Before now, I had contributed quite significantly to boosting company revenues through some direct actions I took, and also in developing some creative financial solutions to help save a lot of money. Some of these financial solutions my company has made into businesses. One time, I managed to wring out a significant deal out of a tough client, and the parent company based in Houston rewarded me for this with an award. My thinking is that, they are not firing me because of these past achievements. I can't be too sure, so I'm still bracing for impact smiley

However, the deal is, a lot of people in the office are really beefing me right now. Some people have made only half a mistake and have been immediately fired. Lately, a lot more have been fired for quite other weird reasons, especially as we started losing work from oil clients. And I'm still standing, so it seems.

I have a strong feeling of an unfriendly atmosphere around my colleagues; and I spot some refusal to associate with me, especially as some of those who have been fired were involved in the same issue for which I got not more than a slap on the wrist. I don't like the feeling I get from others, and I'm really thinking of leaving the company.

But I have no other offers or job at the moment to go to.

4 Likes

Re: Should I Be Bothered About Leaving? by INTROVERT(f): 8:27am On Nov 08, 2015
weather the storm...

12 Likes

Re: Should I Be Bothered About Leaving? by Cutehector(m): 8:39am On Nov 08, 2015
Those wey dey beef make dem go hit dr head for kainji dam... Iranu..

Ur sacrifices hav gone before u to speak for u... Damn ur employer should he fire u, he will lose a lot... Cuz its dr loss, not urs..

And secondly, dats d voice of d devil telln u to quit, tell dat voice it should go suck ur ass... Arlight... An as for dem haters,

Leme teill u dis

The lord is ur shepherd, there is nothing u shall want
"He prepareth a Banquet in the presense of ur enemies"

I hope dat answers ur doubts.

8 Likes

Re: Should I Be Bothered About Leaving? by RuggedArab: 8:39am On Nov 08, 2015
Hmmm.... Introvert.

1 Like

Re: Should I Be Bothered About Leaving? by RuggedArab: 8:50am On Nov 08, 2015
Who quits a job because of how unfriendly your colleagues are?

Who also quits a job when you don't have another offer?

People are entitled to feel, behave or talk what ever they want; that makes them humans.

Op, you should have heard of FAVOUR. Maybe you have just been favoured not to be relieved of your job; maybe because of your past achievements.

Don't allow what people do or say make you feel worst of yourself. I'll advise you not to leave your job until you get a new one; it seems you are fed up with your company.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Be Bothered About Leaving? by MathsChic(f): 8:58am On Nov 08, 2015
INTROVERT:
weather the storm...
Thanks. Doing that already.
Re: Should I Be Bothered About Leaving? by MathsChic(f): 8:59am On Nov 08, 2015
Cutehector:
Those wey dey beef make dem go hit dr head for kainji dam... Iranu..

Ur sacrifices hav gone before u to speak for u... Damn ur employer should he fire u, he will lose a lot... Cuz its dr loss, not urs..

And secondly, dats d voice of d devil telln u to quit, tell dat voice it should go suck ur ass... Arlight... An as for dem haters,

Leme teill u dis

The lord is ur shepherd, there is nothing u shall want
"He prepareth a Banquet in the presense of ur enemies"

I hope dat answers ur doubts.
Thanks.
Re: Should I Be Bothered About Leaving? by MathsChic(f): 9:05am On Nov 08, 2015
Who quits a job because of how unfriendly your colleagues are?
I don't think it's out of place to leave a job when the atmosphere is not good. That people don't do it often in Nigeria doesn't mean it can't be done. Many an European manager leaves a club when the feelings arent right anymore.

Who also quits a job when you don't have another offer?
Well, that's the thing. I'm trying to get something though.

People are entitled to feel, behave or talk what ever they want; that makes them humans.

Op, you should have heard of FAVOUR. Maybe you have just been favoured not to be relieved of your job; maybe because of your past achievements.

Don't allow what people do or say make you feel worst of yourself. I'll advise you not to leave your job until you get a new one; it seems you are fed up with your company.
But i guess your last statement is what i should take strongly. I should just focus on myself and not get so suppressed by perfectionism.
Re: Should I Be Bothered About Leaving? by RuggedArab: 9:21am On Nov 08, 2015
Yea; very important to focus on yourself and also make yourself happy always.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should I Be Bothered About Leaving? by coolhamid(m): 10:03am On Nov 08, 2015
It appears like you are fed up with the unfriendly atmosphere.I would advice you to QUIT the job only when you've gotten a better offer. It's not advisable to QUIT a job when you are yet to secure another one.

You shouldn't be concerned about what your colleagues are saying about you.Opinion is like Asshole, everyone is entitled to one. Just focus on your job and keep looking out for a better offer.

I wish you all the best.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Be Bothered About Leaving? by Nobody: 10:20am On Nov 08, 2015
MathsChic:
I have a thing that has been bothering me recently, so I want to share with you to seek advice.

I work in a segment of the financial industry where, to put it succintly, you don't make a mistake. Better put, you shouldn't make a mistake. It's not advisable. If you do make one mistake, you are most certainly gonna get fired. Everyone understands this and tries their best to adjust.

Work is complex and full of numerous procedures you have to learn through and through. It is expected that you should understand these procedures and try as much as possible not to make a mistake associated with human error. Now, unfortunately, I made a nasty mistake some weeks ago. But the company didn't release me. Before now, I had contributed quite significantly to boosting company revenues through some direct actions I took, and also in developing some creative financial solutions to help save a lot of money. Some of these financial solutions my company has made into businesses. One time, I managed to wring out a significant deal out of a tough client, and the parent company based in Houston rewarded me for this with an award. My thinking is that, they are not firing me because of these past achievements. I can't be too sure, so I'm still bracing for impact smiley

However, the deal is, a lot of people in the office are really beefing me right now. Some people have made only half a mistake and have been immediately fired. Lately, a lot more have been fired for quite other weird reasons, especially as we started losing work from oil clients. And I'm still standing, so it seems.

I have a strong feeling of an unfriendly atmosphere around my colleagues; and I spot some refusal to associate with me, especially as some of those who have been fired were involved in the same issue for which I got not more than a slap on the wrist. I don't like the feeling I get from others, and I'm really thinking of leaving the company.

I will personally knock you if u try to leave.

Your colleagues didnt employ you.

That you were not fired is by the grace of God. Just keep doing your best.

6 Likes

Re: Should I Be Bothered About Leaving? by Jabia(m): 12:18pm On Nov 08, 2015
Hi there!

You seem to have done okay for yourself at work. I've had some experience from the biggest names in Nigerian Finance/O & G and one thing that runs across all is a strong rewards system for performance.

You ma'am are a performer, and you just happen to have enjoyed one of the perks. Don't allow yourself to begin to feel too guilty about it.

Regarding your colleagues, continue to show strong work ethic. Be courteous and polite, but do not begin to lower your bars for acceptable performance. That you have made mistakes is not an excuse for your colleagues doing same.

Lastly, don't allow your escaping major sanctions get to your head. You are an employee like any other and can be replaced if required. Make up for your said mistake and Forge ahead.

Should the atmosphere at work prove unbearable and other offers come along, seize them and move on with your life.

Wishing you more successes in your career.

10 Likes

Re: Should I Be Bothered About Leaving? by MathsChic(f): 12:23pm On Nov 08, 2015
Jabia:
Hi there!

You seem to have done okay for yourself at work. I've had some experience from the biggest names in Nigerian Finance/O & G and one thing that runs across all is a strong rewards system for performance.

You ma'am are a performer, and you just happen to have enjoyed one of the perks. Don't allow yourself to begin to feel too guilty about it.

Regarding your colleagues, continue to show strong work ethic. Be courteous and polite, but do not begin to lower your bars for acceptable performance. That you have made mistakes is not an excuse for your colleagues doing same.

Lastly, don't allow your escaping major sanctions get to your head. You are an employee like any other and can be replaced if required. Make up for your said mistake and Forge ahead.

Should the atmosphere at work prove unbearable and other offers come along, seize them and move on with your life.

Wishing you more successes in your career.
Thanks.
Thanks for also pointing out that I'm not indispensable. That's one thing I'm constantly aware of, and i try my best to work with that reality. I'm still surprised they didn't release me like they did others.

4 Likes

Re: Should I Be Bothered About Leaving? by Jabia(m): 12:40pm On Nov 08, 2015
MathsChic:

Thanks.
Thanks for also pointing out that I'm not indispensable. That's one thing I'm constantly aware of, and i try my best to work with that reality. I'm still surprised they didn't release me like they did others.

You're most welcome ma'am.
Re: Should I Be Bothered About Leaving? by kadas01(m): 1:31pm On Nov 08, 2015
Count yourself "lucky"; and make sure you "lay low"!

1 Like

Re: Should I Be Bothered About Leaving? by Stycon(m): 3:05am On Nov 09, 2015
MathsChic:

Leave? Nah!

Stay. Don't leave, at least for now. With time,the rapour should be restored. Ofcourse, it might not be "just as it used to be" but the beefing will subside.

Sometimes, leaving life independent of what others think is needful wink

But then, don't act as if you are anyway better(even if you are) ~Let them know you guys are still colleagues smiley

Is like you now have a lot to prove to lots of people. I wish you the best! And please, ride with care.

1 Like

Re: Should I Be Bothered About Leaving? by Pidggin(f): 2:28pm On Nov 09, 2015
@OP, are you serious, who follow you join the company wen u start? Focus on your job o, especially as you don't have options yet.
Re: Should I Be Bothered About Leaving? by gistme24(m): 7:55pm On Nov 09, 2015
Perks are never freely given, they are earned. You have earned this 'slap', and they probably feel you will reward them by doubling your efforts. To put it properly, you are an asset!

About you leaving, banish that thought, else you are implying you will always think of walking out whenever you encounter hostility, and I believe you may encounter a few more in the corporate world.

It's not your fault that you are awesome! Just stay humble, just as you sound.

4 Likes

Re: Should I Be Bothered About Leaving? by Fearcom(m): 12:42am On Nov 10, 2015
I feel your pain.

You're thinking of leaving because of the unfriendly disposition shown towards you by ya colleagues? Don't. And if you ever do, not because of them. And until you've got a better option/job offer. Since you can't get close to them and you can't run from 'em either grin be very careful with them. Be as sweet and polite as possible. Sounds like they will be waiting to trip you up. For that you have to be on your toes the entire time. From what you said you must be very valuable to the company you work for. Focus on that. And try not to allow personal issues interfere with your work.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Be Bothered About Leaving? by Mekyno(m): 4:42am On Nov 10, 2015
We tnk God for u.
I'm jst trying to picture a feeling of what's going through u.
As in, u are feeling sort of 'guilty', or psycological unbalanced.
As in, a bit edgy at work as to why u were not sacked shey?
U trying to feel the pulse of the management on why you were not sack or if it was still being expected?
Instead of asking God why, thank Him because you are one of the favoured ones.
If u have a cordial relationship with your direct oga or any of the management staff, try to find out why they didn't sack you, tactically ooh.
Just work normally as if nothing happen, because it seems you have contributed and will still contribute to the company's growth and development much more than you have made them lose. Gudluk!
NB: those ur colleagues have jst shown their true colours.....jealousy and enemies of progress.
Re: Should I Be Bothered About Leaving? by 400billionman: 1:14pm On Nov 11, 2015
So long as they are still paying your salary.

Enjoy the beef.

Its natural for inferiors to beef their superiors. I have lived with that all my life and dont care. So far as you dont touch me.

The company considers a persons worth before firing the person.

1 Like

Re: Should I Be Bothered About Leaving? by huntila(m): 9:26pm On Nov 12, 2015
What does not kill you makes you STRONGER. I feel it is because they are yet to find a better replacement. Thus; Always be on your toes and be on Guard. That doesn't mean you should not Enjoy your Job.

Besides, there will be a top notch boss you can stylishly find out true form of things concerning you error and someone who hears well from the management or might even be part of management.

But if you still feel unsettled follow your mind and RESIGN. State the reason for your resignation . It is reverse psychology. Though its a last option. If they value you, they will reject your resignation.
My little opinion though
Re: Should I Be Bothered About Leaving? by prudentcy(m): 11:35pm On Nov 12, 2015
MathsChic:

If your seat is not envied then you are not a champion.

When your good work is speaking, manifestation is easy.

If you have a special idea, you will rule your world.

Whatever that is happening to you, you have the capacity to put them under control.

What you are experiencing @ the moment is what is called prosperity in the midst of austerity.

So, don't quit except you have a better offer.
Re: Should I Be Bothered About Leaving? by Brymo: 7:32am On Nov 15, 2015
u gals can be very funny, considering sometin that is no problem at all, problem. Anyways get socked in and tango along.
Re: Should I Be Bothered About Leaving? by frank043(m): 1:20pm On Nov 15, 2015
MathsChic:

It's obvious you have written your name on the firm's wall of fame. Note that not getting fired and the attitude of your colleagues clearly goes to attest to that fact. Don't be discouraged by that, be positive and move on. You shouldn't expect them to like you anyway, since the atmosphere of your work environment seems to promote some sort of competition among you guys. I have NEVER heard of anyone that left cos of perceived unfriendliness of colleagues. I hope the pay is cool and you enjoy what you are doing? Cos to me that's a few of the justified reason to resign. A friend ones told me when I was much pretty younger that I should try and get paid for doing what I love doing, even if the pay ain't cool, I gat the motivation. SUCCESS ma'am... The sky is your start point jare... Forget about BADBELLES!
Re: Should I Be Bothered About Leaving? by MathsChic(f): 5:38pm On Nov 15, 2015
frank043:

It's obvious you have written your name on the firm's wall of fame. Note that not getting fired and the attitude of your colleagues clearly goes to attest to that fact. Don't be discouraged by that, be positive and move on. You shouldn't expect them to like you anyway, since the atmosphere of your work environment seems to promote some sort of competition among you guys. I have NEVER heard of anyone that left cos of perceived unfriendliness of colleagues. I hope the pay is cool and you enjoy what you are doing? Cos to me that's a few of the justified reason to resign. A friend ones told me when I was much pretty younger that I should try and get paid for doing what I love doing, even if the pay ain't cool, I gat the motivation. SUCCESS ma'am... The sky is your start point jare... Forget about BADBELLES!
Thanks for your advice. You summed it up pretty well. The competition is INTENSE! Intense is probably an understatement. It's under such atmosphere that you need to watch your back incessantly it starts to bother on paranoia, lol.
Thanks though. I'll try not to be discouraged and press on. smiley
Re: Should I Be Bothered About Leaving? by frank043(m): 9:56pm On Nov 15, 2015
MathsChic:

Thanks for your advice. You summed it up pretty well. The competition is INTENSE! Intense is probably an understatement. It's under such atmosphere that you need to watch your back incessantly it starts to bother on paranoia, lol.
Thanks though. I'll try not to be discouraged and press on. smiley

You are welcome. I wish you all the very best.
Re: Should I Be Bothered About Leaving? by UkwuAmu: 1:57am On Nov 16, 2015
Steve Job was fired initially by Apple and was later re-engaged . You have shown qualities a lot of those who have been fired don't possess . We all make mistakes so sacking people because of one mistake is not the best way to go but thats what all you all have signed for. The fact that you are still there shows you are different . There is something they see in you that you haven't probably discovered about yourself . I have gone through all your post after seeing this post of yours and it doesn't take much to figure out that you are special and thats how the company sees you.
My only advice now is you should start thinking about working for yourself . Get the experience you need and do your own thing.
I tried to send an e mail request to you but naira land won't let me . please send me an e mail request . I got something to discuss with you.
Good luck and focus . You earned your place . Let your colleagues try to earn theirs

MathsChic:

Re: Should I Be Bothered About Leaving? by jackpot(f): 7:07pm On Nov 19, 2015
One thing I don't joke an trade with is my peace of mind. Keep on the look out for employment with job security and continue to put in your very best. Once you land that job, drop this one like its hott

1 Like

Re: Should I Be Bothered About Leaving? by F22RAPTOR(m): 4:35pm On Dec 02, 2015
I was in your shoe once, and trust me you dont want to always look over your shoulders because of a toxic working environment, it won't do you good at all. It can affect your health both physically and mentally. Like others have said, be on the look out for another opportunity, before they harm you.
Re: Should I Be Bothered About Leaving? by xfire: 6:52pm On Dec 02, 2015
Nice question....and a very intellectual one for that matter. Here are my thoughts...

I have been somewhat involved in a similar situation in my first place of work. I made a huge rookie mistake (or so I was told) that cost the company a few millions of Naira. I would have been sacked save for the fact that I was a trainee (and a good one at that). My boss, who liked me, tried to cover up for me and was demoted for that reason. Eventhough no one showed me any sign of unease or hatred, I was very uncomfortable till I finally left the company for another one. I was so concerned about my career growth. I feared it might stunt my growth despite that fact that my new boss was also a very nice and understanding guy. He still remains my best boss till date. So i totally understand your predicament.

I am on my 3rd job and I can tell you that I have worked under various circumstances. I have worked with all shades of bosses and colleagues - the good, the bad and the ugly. I can't begin to recant all my experiences here.

To sum it all up, 90% of your job as an employee is to manage people - your clients, colleagues and bosses. There will be times when the situation at work is tense. It is not enough to quit. Part of the job experience involves learning how to cope socially, mentally, physically, intellectually, morally and emotionally. In a contemporary workplace, you will be tested on all fronts. How you manage and get results despite the challenges will stand you out from others. Office politics and dynamics are to be expected. There is really nothing beyond the ordinary in your current experience. Most top employees have faced similar issues in one form or the other over the course of their career.

However, if the work environment gets so intense that you honestly feel you have given it your best shot and can't possibly cope again, move on ONLY if you have gotten another job. I do not think envy from colleagues is enough to quit a job midway. Meanwhile, you can be on the lookout for another job pr think of working dor yourself.

Cheers.....!

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Should I Be Bothered About Leaving? by lonelydora: 3:57am On Dec 15, 2015
You are a fine girl so nothing dey happen, but if need be, leave that job before your colleagues travel to Ijebu ode or Kogi state for you.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Top 20 Most Lucrative Professions In Nigeria / Having A Hard Time Finding A Job? Do Something Different. / February 6, Tuesday Guardian Newspaper Vacancies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.