Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,171 members, 7,815,102 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:19 AM

Which Of These Two Vehicles Should I Go For? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Which Of These Two Vehicles Should I Go For? (2070 Views)

Vehicles Damaged By Falling Trees After Heavy Rainfall In Port-Harcourt. Photos / Customs Gives Account Of Vehicles Seized Since President Buhari Came Into Power / Within 48 Hours, 43 Nigerians Win Bids For Vehicles Seized By Customs – Official (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Of These Two Vehicles Should I Go For? by canadianprince: 2:00pm On Nov 08, 2015
Hello nairalanders!
I am about to purchase my first vehicle, but caught between two choices. I have the Nigerian used 2003-2005 Toyota Highlander (SUV) and the 2008 Honda Accord (Sedan) in mind. Though I am considering each vehicle based on safety, cost of maintenance, fuel economy, durability and reliability, smooth driving, and less problematic in comparison to the other. I am still finding it difficult to make a decision. I have tried checking consumer ratings and reviews of these vehicles from various sites, the information I got were independent reviews but not a comparison between the two vehicles. I love the sedan in terms of the luxury it offers and other features, but in terms of safety, I feel SUVs are much safer vehicles to drive compared to sedans, given the condition of our roads and in the event of accidents.
I sincerely will appreciate contributions from users of these vehicles, as it will go a long way in helping me to make the right choice.
Re: Which Of These Two Vehicles Should I Go For? by abolore80(m): 3:09pm On Nov 08, 2015
Both cars are good in terms of durability, maintenance, fuel economy, and availability of parts. I don't know what offer you're getting for the two. But sincerely, the highlander is a more stronger SUV. It's ground clearance is good and it comes in both 4plugs and 6plugs.

Which ever you get is good. It may lack some ancillary features that the accord may present but it's definitely a good option. It's very rugged, it's fuel economy is good, and again it's an SUV.

1 Like

Re: Which Of These Two Vehicles Should I Go For? by FlyboyZee: 6:29pm On Nov 08, 2015
Give me your shoes and I'll take the Accord any day...

Please, bear in mind that the Highlander is at least 10-13 years old, while the Accord is at most 7 years old. The older a car, the more it is prone to breakdowns. If you understand what I mean?

Secondly, if they are both Naija used, it then boils down to the kind of abuse they have both been subjected to. We have had situations where Corolla engines have been fitted into Sequoias and Nissan engines into Mercedes Benz cars. Lol.

You said the Highlander is Naija used but you didn't say whether the Accord too is Naija used.

Like I said earlier, if the 2 cars are in pristine shape, I'll take the 2008 Accord over the 2003-2005 Highlander.

I hope you do understand that this is my opinion and I'm entitled to it (No mind me o!)...

6 Likes

Re: Which Of These Two Vehicles Should I Go For? by abolore80(m): 6:44pm On Nov 08, 2015
The year of a vehicle does not really matter. What matters most is how it was maintained. A car is as good as new if it is very well maintained. Although, Nigerian factor may include because of our bad roads and poor maintenance culture. But, you still have some people who take absolute care of their vehicles. From latest tires, to recommended oil change and OEM parts.

What about classic cars that were produced 20-30years back and are still as good as new.
It's choice anyway. My opinion is that, you don't choose a car. You put certain things into consideration like your work schedule, your area and if you will doing inter-state trips also.

You have to look at your environment to pick a car and don't pick a car and then the environment deals with it.

2 Likes

Re: Which Of These Two Vehicles Should I Go For? by ogawisdom(m): 7:16pm On Nov 08, 2015
Go n take the highlander, u don't compare SUV to a sedan it is a sin wink go for 3.0l v6 engine for good performance n relatively good economy

2 Likes

Re: Which Of These Two Vehicles Should I Go For? by canadianprince: 7:26pm On Nov 08, 2015
Thanks everyone. I do really find your posts very useful. I will finally go for the Highlander. Thank you.
Re: Which Of These Two Vehicles Should I Go For? by mili3kid(m): 11:50pm On Nov 08, 2015
canadianprince:
Thanks everyone. I do really find your posts very useful. I will finally go for the Highlander. Thank you.
if i may ask, whats your reason for going for the SUV?
Re: Which Of These Two Vehicles Should I Go For? by canadianprince: 12:57pm On Nov 09, 2015
mili3kid:
if i may ask, whats your reason for going for the SUV?
My dear, I feel the SUV is much safer in the event of collision with sedan vehicles (not that I am praying for that to happen, but the highway is always full of uncertainty), and secondly, the SUV seems to better and fit for the poor conditions of our Nigerian roads. I hate to be driving while my bumper, exhaust and the lower section of my vehicle will be crashing and wearing off by touching the ground, most especially areas where the road is not so good. I have seen it happen to people's vehicle, and the only remedy was to raise the shock and suspension. I want to avoid that.
Re: Which Of These Two Vehicles Should I Go For? by DGD1(m): 3:23pm On Nov 09, 2015
canadianprince:

My dear, I feel the SUV is much safer in the event of collision with sedan vehicles (not that I am praying for that to happen, but the highway is always full of uncertainty), and secondly, the SUV seems to better and fit for the poor conditions of our Nigerian roads. I hate to be driving while my bumper, exhaust and the lower section of my vehicle will be crashing and wearing off by touching the ground, most especially areas where the road is not so good. I have seen it happen to people's vehicle, and the only remedy was to raise the shock and suspension. I want to avoid that.

wise move

1 Like

Re: Which Of These Two Vehicles Should I Go For? by canadianprince: 4:47pm On Nov 09, 2015
DGD1:

wise move
Thank you.
Re: Which Of These Two Vehicles Should I Go For? by mili3kid(m): 11:16am On Nov 10, 2015
canadianprince:

alryt broda... since ur decision makes sense to U and its well justified den U cnt go wrong .now its tym to get a very clean ride dt wld fit d bill... so U wnt regret going for d SUV if u got a problematic one
Re: Which Of These Two Vehicles Should I Go For? by Akaewu: 1:33pm On Dec 10, 2015
If d highlander is not a v6 variant.... Go for d honda.
Beware of strip head boltbolt in toyota highlander l4 engines . ma 2cents

1 Like

Re: Which Of These Two Vehicles Should I Go For? by Akaewu: 1:33pm On Dec 10, 2015
Beware of strip head boltbolt in toyota highlander l4 engines
Re: Which Of These Two Vehicles Should I Go For? by Nyceguy92: 5:13am On Dec 11, 2015
[quote author=canadianprince post=39804401]

You should go for the Highlander.
It is more spacious with more ground clearance, just what you need for our roads.
If it has 3 rows of seats, better for the family.
The year of manufacture should not matter much.
Test drive and see how it handles and how much work you need to do on the car.

1 Like

Re: Which Of These Two Vehicles Should I Go For? by kingreign(m): 5:37am On Dec 11, 2015
Akaewu:
Beware of strip head boltbolt in toyota highlander l4 engines . ma 2cents

Very easy to fix a stripped bolt in a highlander. Once fixed, it never get stripped again. Besides, any aluminium engine can develop a stripped head bolt. Forget what those internet rants are all about. I use a highlander 2.4l and its in its 4th year. I'm speaking from experience.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Breaking News No Movement Tomorrow / How Do I Know Its Not A Stolen Vehicle? / Which Is Better: 2003 Lexus Es300 Or 2003 Toyota Avalon Xls

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.