Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,828 members, 7,810,181 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:41 PM

Who Was Ezechime? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Who Was Ezechime? (7546 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Was Ezechime? by bigfrancis21: 5:56pm On Nov 10, 2015
WHO WAS EZECHIME?

The Issele people who are the most emphatic of a Benin origin claim he was a son of the Oba of Benin. This may not be true since the migration occurred during the reign of Oba Esigie (c.1504-1550) and there is no evidence that Ezechime was the son of Esigie or even Ozolua , Esigie’s father. So, a claim like that should not be taken literally. It only meant to emphasize the strong connection the Isseles have with Benin.

Now let’s hear from Benin authorities. Egharevba J. U. A short History of Benin, Ibadan University Press, 1960, p.13 and A.F.C. Ryder, Benin and The Europeans, Longmans, London, 1969, p.11 observe that Chime is an Igbo word and hence could not be emigrant from Benin. Rather, they (Ezechime and his people) appear to be Igbos who was displaced by Benin military expansion eastwards from about mid fifteen centuries. I wonder why some of our western Igbo brothers are forcefully attaching themselves to other people?

The Onicha Ugbo people on the other hand say that Ezechime was an Nri priest originally. Having assimilated into the Bini population, he led a revolt against the Oba (after the Oba’s mother had trampled on his farmland) and this led to his expulsion from Benin. Obior and Obior elements now fully integrated as Igbodo people also claim that Ezechime came from Benin after a quarrel with the Oba. The Oba was claimed to have been envious of the wealth of Ezechime and had plotted to have him killed. Ezi also claims a Benin origin though it seems to be more emphatic on its claim to one Ifite who is claimed to be one of Ezechima’s sons. But Onicha Ugbo, Issele Uku and Obior claim that Ifite was not a son of Ezechime but a follower whose origin was from an eastern homelend and he was related to Obomkpa. Obomkpa people claim that their ancestor, Anagba migrated from Ogidi in Anambra State and that Anagba was a relative of Ezechime and his spiritual consultant. This will put the origin of Ezechime at least according to this account to Ogidi.

There are strong reasons to believe that Ezechime came from Nri. In Umuezechime , the Ozo title system( called Okpala or Ichimmor) is well developed . Also bear in mind that in Issele Uku are Ogboli and Ogbowele communities that still hold on to their claims of migrating from Nri.

The Ezenri based at Oreri worships in Onitsha shrines (Henderson, 1972) yet another reason to believe that Ezechime possibly had Nri origin.

In addition to all I have said in support of Nri origin of Ezechime is Jeffery M. D. W. The Oreli Mask' Nigerian Field, Vol. 10, 1941, pp 140 - 142. He noted that Nri people were performing certain ritual functions at the installation of a New Oba of Benin

For Agbor , it emphasizes that Chime originally came from Alisimien-Agbor , thereafter moved to Benin and after settling a while in Benin returned to Agbor as a wealthy man. It was claimed that with the wealth acquired from his soujourn from Benin, he had sought to overthrow the then Obi of Agbor (identified as Adigwe or Ogwade) but was defeated and he fled to Obior. The defeat of Eze Chima in Agbor is re-enacted in the Agbor royal festival of Osiezi. It was also claimed that chima tok with him Agbor royal symbols of authority like the Ufie gong. Onitsha claim that Chima was a native of Ado (possibly Udo , then as large and cosmopolitan as Benin City) and that the Oba’s mother had trampled on his farmland leading to the Queen mother being assaulted. This led to the flight to Agbor and thereafter to Onitsha town.
From these accounts its quite clear that there Ezechima as much as its claimed to have migrated from Benin have other versions putting his origin to such eastern Igbo towns like Nri and Ogidi.

It’s apparent that there was a migration from Benin but what is being disputed is where he originally came from. Obomkpa insist on Ogidi, Onicha Ugbo on Nri while Obior and Issele claim Benin. One account tries to emphasize that Chime was originally derived from the Edo name Ikhimen. Fine, let’s accept it but they should also tell us how the Igbo title of Eze came from!
July 29 at 3:06am
Aralu Chidiebere
Aralu Chidiebere Till this day, Prof Utomi is involved in Igbo activities. Chief Dennis Osadebay the political leader of Anioma people and who coined the word ANIOMA itself was a member of Ohaneze. It is therefore strange for anyone to assume that Anioma has no sociological, political or cultural connections with Ohaneze. It is even interesting to note that Obi Efeizomor of Owa has always been involved with Ohaneze activities.

What do we say about Chief Iduwe of Agbor? Rev Okolugbo of Obiaruku who elaborately wrote on the Ndokwa people Or the likes of Prof Don Ohadike and Prof MA Onwuejeogwu? All these people maintained their positions.

Records suggests that the earliest settler of Igbodo, Ikpekwu was a member of the group that founded the Umuezechime clan. No evidence suggests that he was not of Edo origin. It is also through this same migration that led to the founding of Ase and Aboh , however some of the names in this Aboh migration suggests west Igbo elements. Ozoma( the founder of Ashaka), Etim( founder of Obetim) and Osuntili( founder of Ossissa) suggests that they could only have JOINED Esume at/from Agbor and moved southwards with him. The Idumujes of Idumuje Uor and Idumuje Ugboko are believed to have followed the trail of the Umuezechime. They were of Edo origin sent as soldiers by the Oba to retrieve the fleeing Umuezechime party. They failed and were absorbed into the population.

There is a theory that most of the Anioma people are of Benin origin because of some cultures they had in common like Igue/Igwe. To start with Calabar people celebrate Ekpe with the Aro people but when it is observed that Aro people are from Awka axis without any blood relationship with Calabars this theory falls. Meanwhile, even towns that did not come from Benin especially in the Ika area do mark Igwe. But there are stark differences between the Igwe celebrated in some Anioma towns and the Igue festival of Benin. Fine, people use the Ewere (which we call Akwukwo-Egbo} leaves in the Igwe festivals; however it is different in many respects. In Umunede, it is similar to Benin and it’s usually marked in October or Sept. In Agbor, it is just a cleansing feast, the main festival in Agbor is Osiezi, in Owa the Igwe is completely different from the way it’s celebrated in Benin and it’s marked in December. It’s usually celebrated in March or April and it’s a ritual to cleanse the land before farming commences. UBILOR changes I think to ULOR which is the name used in other Anioma areas. For most Aniomas except for Umunede, IGWE or UBILOR or ULOR festival is basically for cleansing purposes and not commemorative purpose which is the case in Benin. Obviously, Igwe is the remains of the relics of BENIN’S COLONIZATION OF ANIOMA IGBO.

In south East are communities without Igbo origins but they like western Igbos have evolved to become Igbos. If not for the quarrel that took place during the days of King Esigie, both Igbos and Edo people would have remained a people because they are of one blood.

https://www.facebook.com/ProudlyAnioma/?fref=nf

1 Like

Re: Who Was Ezechime? by bigfrancis21: 5:57pm On Nov 10, 2015
Ndi Anioma, unu bianu ka ayi kpa nkata gbasalu ife anunwa ofuma.

2 Likes

Re: Who Was Ezechime? by Donarozzi: 6:10pm On Nov 10, 2015
bigfrancis21:

WHO WAS EZECHIME?

The elders of Onicha-Ugbo, who are the bonafide descendants of the first son of Ezechime, said that their patriarch Ezechime came from Nri, one of the oldest Igbo communities. Historians have done a lot of research on this issue, and their findings showed that Chime (Ezechime) was an Igbo man. His name, the names of his followers, the names of his wife and children, the language and culture of his descendants, all evidence points to one direction: Igbo.

From all my research, Ezechime was a wealthy man who moved from Arochukwu to Nri-Awka area during the slave trade. Some of the Umuezechime clan, especially Onicha-Ugbo, said that Ezechime came from Nri-Awka axis, while the people of Nri-Awka axis said that Ezechime originally came from Arochukwu, settled in Nri-Akwa area (Northern Igbo), and founded many communties in both the Northern and Western areas of Igboland. (Note: "Ezechime" is sometimes spelled "Ezechima" in some Igbo dialects).

"Orofia is the second largest village in Abagana today in terms of population and land mass after Umudunu. As is the case with Umudunu, its founder was an immigrant called "Chime" ("Chima" in some dialects).

"According to further account of our sources, this Chime was a great warrior, adventurer, and statesman who came from "Ohafia" near Arochukwu in Abia State in search of slaves and merchandise. Some elders say that Chime rather came from Arochukwu but many of his followers were from Ohafia and environs. Our source had it that this man founded "Orofia" settlement in other towns like Nimo, Enugu-Ukwu, Eziowelle, Alor, Umudioka, Ogbunike, Ogidi, Ukpo, Oraukwu, and others in the course of his numerous adventures and expeditions, but finally settled in Abagana with his soldiers of fortune and founded "Orofia village Abagana". Chime later married from Akpu Abagana and eventually crossed the River Niger with his family and followers, and in the course of the adventure, he founded Onicha Ugbo, Onicha Olona, Issele Ukwu, Issele Azagba, Issele Mkpitime, Obior, Onicha Mmiri, which are all part of the Ezechima clan in Igboland."

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Was Ezechime? by Nobody: 6:16pm On Nov 10, 2015
^^^ Arochukwu is too young to be the place Ezechime came from, if you ask me.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Was Ezechime? by bigfrancis21: 6:38pm On Nov 10, 2015
Radoillo:

Where do you think is the likely origin of Ezechime?
Re: Who Was Ezechime? by Donarozzi: 6:42pm On Nov 10, 2015
Radoillo:

Umuezechima clans were established in the 18th century, and NOT in the 16th century as some ambitious historians are fabricating nowadays. Read the original books of early Western writers who obtained firsthand accounts of the oral traditions of the indigenous communities without any form of politics or fantasy in their mind.

Ezechima was from Arochukwu. The ancestral community from which Arochukwu originated already existed by 1000AD. Umuezechima clans were founded between 1700AD and 1748AD.

3 Likes

Re: Who Was Ezechime? by Nobody: 6:59pm On Nov 10, 2015
bigfrancis21:

In my opinion, the most convincing of the traditions is the Out-of-Agbor tradition.
Re: Who Was Ezechime? by Nobody: 7:20pm On Nov 10, 2015
Donarozzi:

Umuezechima clans were established in the 18th century, and NOT in the 16th century as some ambitious historians are fabricating nowadays. Read the original books of early Western writers who obtained firsthand accounts of the oral traditions of the indigenous communities without any form of politics or fantasy in their mind.

Ezechima was from Arochukwu. The ancestral community from which Arochukwu originated already existed by 1000AD. Umuezechima clans were founded between 1700AD and 1748AD.

Actually, it was the early Western writers that put a 16th century date on the Ezechime migration based on the mention of an 'Asije' (thought to be Oba Esigie) in some versions of the traditions. Check Leonard's Tribes of the Lower Niger which appeared in print in 1906 or about that time. The first place where I saw the 1700 - 1748 date was in Zik's autobiography, 'My Odyssey'.

Anyway, the Ezechime movement is often connected with the Esumai Ukwu movement that resulted in the founding of Aboh. We have documented contemporary evidence that shows that Aboh was already a flourishing kingdom by 1668. So, Onitsha was most probably also already in existence by that date.

I don't know how you arrived at a 1000 AD date for the founding of Arochukwu. Anyway, whenever Arochukwu was founded, it didn't become an important town until the later part of the 17th century, and they didn't penetrate the Nri-Awka area until the 18th century.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Was Ezechime? by cheruv: 8:16pm On Nov 10, 2015
Radoillo:

Actually, it was the early Western writers that put a 16th century date on the Ezechime migration based on the mention of an 'Asije' (thought to be Oba Esigie) in some versions of the traditions. Check Leonard's Tribes of the Lower Niger which appeared in print in 1906 or about that time. The first place where I saw the 1700 - 1748 date was in Zik's autobiography, 'My Odyssey'.

Anyway, the Ezechime movement is often connected with the Esumai Ukwu movement that resulted in the founding of Aboh. We have documented contemporary evidence that shows that Aboh was already a flourishing kingdom by 1668. So, Onitsha was most probably also already in existence by that date.

I don't know how you arrived at a 1000 AD date for the founding of Arochukwu. Anyway, whenever Arochukwu was founded, it didn't become an important town until the later part of the 17th century, and they didn't penetrate the Nri-Awka area until the 18th century.
I thought Arochukwu was founded after the Aro-Ibibio wars
Using that gives a date of 1650-1700,unless you're talking about the pre Igbo history of the town.
Re: Who Was Ezechime? by Nobody: 8:36pm On Nov 10, 2015
cheruv:

I thought Arochukwu was founded after the Aro-Ibibio wars
Using that gives a date of 1650-1700,unless you're talking about the pre Igbo history of the town.

I don't understand. I didn't suggest a date for the founding of Arochukwu, because there is still a lot of controversy around the dating. I only said the town was not prominent before the later part of the 17th century.

1 Like

Re: Who Was Ezechime? by Donarozzi: 8:58pm On Nov 10, 2015
Radoillo:

When "Esume Ukwu" arrived Aboh, he saw his fellow Igbo men and women already living there. Note that "Esumai Ukwu" is also known as "Esume" or "Esumei" depending on the particular Igbo dialect. It is very possible that "Esume" is a dialectal variant of the name "Ehume/Ehime" found in other Igbo areas. For example, there is a village named "Ehume" in Obowo, and also "Ehime" village in Mbano, all in Southern Igboland. In Igbo dialects, "h" and "s" and "r" can be variants of one another. Example, the name "Osai" is a dialectal variant of "Ohai". In the same vein, think of the Ehume/Esume variant. The village Ute-Erume in Western Igboland could also be the same "Ehume/Esume/Erume" name, that is dialectal variants of the same Igbo name.

The point I am making here is that, from all my findings, Ezechima and his followers came from Arochukwu in the South-Eastern part of the Igbo nation. It is possible that Esume (Ehume) who was part of the Ezechima followers had already branched off and settled at Aboh before the Umuezechima clans were established. This explains why Aboh was already an established community by 1668 (in addition to the fact that the Igbo man "Esume Ukwu" met native Igbo people already existing in Aboh when he arrived).

As I stated earlier, Ezechima did not reach Benin. He and his followers only got to Agbor. From the writings of Egwabor Iduuwe, Ezechima was from Agbor and fled with his children and followers during the reign of Eze Adigwe of Agbor. According to the writer, Eze Adigwe became the King of Agbor in 1698, and later on, during his reign, Chima plotted against him, and the whole plan backfired, causing Chima and his followers to flee from Agbor. Now, since the reign of Eze Adigwe began in 1698, it means that Chima's exodus from Agbor most likely took place some years after 1698, most likely in the year 17XX, that is the 18th cenutry. That is one of the reasons why truthful historians put the establishment of Umuezechima clans between 1700 and 1748AD. (Refer to the book "History of Greater Agbor" written by an Igbo man named Egwabor Iduuwe from Agbor).

Historians agree that Ezechima and his followers fled from Agbor area to establish Umuezechima clans. However, some historians do not believe that Agbor was the primary source of Ezechima's origin. Agbor was just his tertiary settlement before the final dispersal. His primary area of origin was Arochukwu from where he and his followers arrived the Nri-Awka area, the secondary settlement. He settled in the Nri-Awka area for several years and established many communities there. According to oral tradition, Ezechima (also known as Chime or Ezechime) founded many villages within Ogidi, Nimo, Abatete, Oraukwu, Abagana, Eziowelle, Alor, Umudioka, Ukpo, Ogbunike and Enugwu Ukwu. From this Nri-Awka area, Ezechima and his followers crossed the River Niger and settled at Agbor, the tertiary and final area of settlement, from where he fled with his descendants to establish the Umuezechima clans.

I did not say that Arochukwu was established by 1000AD. What I said was that the particular ancestral Igbo sub-group from which Arochukwu branched off already existed by 1000AD.
Re: Who Was Ezechime? by Nobody: 10:55pm On Nov 10, 2015
Donarozzi:

When "Esume Ukwu" arrived Aboh, he saw his fellow Igbo men and women already living there. Note that "Esumai Ukwu" is also known as "Esume" or "Esumei" depending on the particular Igbo dialect. It is very possible that "Esume" is a dialectal variant of the name "Ehume/Ehime" found in other Igbo areas. For example, there is a village named "Ehume" in Obowo, and also "Ehime" village in Mbano, all in Southern Igboland. In Igbo dialects, "h" and "s" and "r" can be variants of one another. Example, the name "Osai" is a dialectal variant of "Ohai". In the same vein, think of the Ehume/Esume variant. The village Ute-Erume in Western Igboland could also be the same "Ehume/Esume/Erume" variant, that is a dialectal variant of the same Igbo name.

The point I am making here is that, from all my findings, Ezechima and his followers came from Arochukwu in the South-Eastern part of the Igbo nation. It is possible that Esume (Ehume) who was part of the Ezechima followers had already branched off and settled at Aboh before the Umuezechima clans were established. This explains why Aboh was already an established community by 1668 (in addition to the fact that the Igbo man "Esume Ukwu" met native Igbo people already existing in Aboh when he arrived).

Yes, there were aboriginal Igbo-speaking folks at the present site of today's Aboh. But they were called Akarai/Akiri/Akili, and not Aboh. Also, they didn't have a kingdom, but operated a gerontocratic system. These mean that when the Dutch writer Olfert Dapper, in 1668, talked about the "Kingdom of Gaboe" existing in that area, he must have been talking about the people there AFTER the Esumai group had already arrived. Now, an important thing that I didn't mention earlier was that Olfert Dapper himself did not visit Africa. The information in his book about Aboh was based on the accounts of another Dutch trader, Samuel Blommaert, who visited the Benin region in 1602.

1602!

This means the Esumai-founded kingdom of Aboh was already flourishing by 1602. That means that even if we assume that Aboh was founded just a few years before that, the date stills falls in the 16th century (the 15xx years)! Now, this also means that Onitsha was founded about the same period. Even if Onitsha was founded later (and I believe it was), it couldn't have been that much later - at the latest, Onitsha must have been founded in the 17th century (the 16XX years), but it could have been earlier.

Now coming to the Aro angle: For your theory to be correct, given the dates we have for Aboh (based on contemporary written evidence), one has to posit that the Aros were already long-distance travelers and traders by the 16th century. Every information points to the fact that they were not. Aro's rise to prominence was tied to the rise of Bonny, and the eclipsing of Kalabari. This occurred only in the decades covering the later part of the 17th century and the beginning of the 18th. They didn't reach the Awka-Nri area until the middle decades of the 18th century. The oral traditions have been collected, and both the internal evidence in the traditions and reconstructed genealogy has been used to date the spreading of Aro's commercial empire into the northern Igbo axis (where Nri-Awka is located) and the consensus among historians is that they didn't reach there before the 18th century.

Therefore, we can say with some confidence that the Aro were no where near the Niger in the 16th century when Esumai was founding Aboh. On the strength of this fact alone, the Ezechime-was-Aro hypothesis crumbles, since Esumai is closely linked to Ezechime in the traditions.

As I stated earlier, Ezechima did not reach Benin. He and his followers only got to Agbor. From the writings of Egwabor Iduuwe, Ezechima was from Agbor and fled with his children and followers during the reign of Eze Adigwe of Agbor. According to the writer, Eze Adigwe became the King of Agbor in 1698, and later on, during his reign, Chima plotted against him, and the whole plan backfired, causing Chima and his followers to flee from Agbor. Now, since the reign of Eze Adigwe began in 1698, it means that Chima's exodus from Agbor most likely took place some years after 1698, most likely in the year 17XX, that is the 18th cenutry. That is one of the reasons why truthful historians put the establishment of Umuezechima clans between 1700 and 1748AD. (Refer to the book "History of Greater Agbor" written by an Igbo man named Egwabor Iduuwe from Agbor).

I have read Iduuwe's unpublished manuscript and I found it very interesting. However his dating is off and I will tell you why I say so.

Iduuwe himself tells us something about Nmordu, the king that succeeded Adigwe, which helps us to discover a miscalculation/mistake in his chronology. According to Iduuwe, after the reign of Adigwe, Nmordu his successor contested for the throne with his (Nmordu's) half-brother Udu. They referred their dispute to the Oba of Benin. Now Nmordu was a well-travelled, urbane man already well-known in Benin City, while Udu was what one would call a 'bush man'. So Nmordu used his connections to get the Oba to rule in his favour. Udu was not allowed to return to Agbor, but was detained in Benin.

This event is also mentioned in Bini history. You will find it in Egharevba's 'History of Benin'. In Egharevba's history, the event happened during the early years of the reign of Oba Ahenzae. Oba Ahenzae was King from 1641 to 1661, according to Egharevba's traditions. The dates assigned to reigns and events in Bini history are a lot more solid than the dates we can obtain from Agbor. Part of the reason is the fact that Benin had a very efficient system of record keeping. Also from about the 16th century, Europeans had been visiting Benin, and the written records they left behind helps to reconstruct a fairly accurate chronology for Benin. Professional historians have often marvelled at the accuracy or near-accuracy of Egharevba's dates. The point I'm making here is that Egharevba's dating accuracy is superior to Iduuwe's, and therefore it makes sense to use Egharevba's dates to correct Iduuwe's.

Going by this, how can Adigwe be on the throne in 1698, when the man who succeded him (Nmordu) must have ascended the throne in the 1640s or the 1650s during the reign of Oba Ahenzae? Iduuwe's date has to be wrong. Adigwe probably ascended the throne before the 1640s. How much earlier than the 1640s we currently can't say. But one must not overlook the traditions that Ezechime may not have left Agbor under Adigwe, but under Ogwade, the King who came before Adigwe. If Adigwe ascended the throne early in the 17th century, it is not impossible that Ogwade ascended the throne in the late 16th century. Ezechime's migration from Agbor could then have happened at anytime between the late 1500s and the 1640s, rather than 1698 as Iduuwe posited. I'm personally leaning towards a late 1500s date, partly because of the written evidence we have for the existence of Aboh by 1602.

Again, as with Aboh, these early dates suggest that Ezechime couldn't have been linked with the Aro.

Historians agree that Ezechima and his followers fled from Agbor area to establish Umuezechima clans east of Agbor. However, some historians believe that Agbor was Ezechima's tertiary settlement before the dispersal. His primary area of origin was Arochukwu from where he and his followers arrived the Nri-Awka area, the secondary settlement. He settled in the Nri-Awka area for several years and established many communities there. According to oral tradition, Ezechima (also known as Chime or Ezechime) founded many villages within Ogidi, Nimo, Abatete, Oraukwu, Abagana, Eziowelle, Alor, Umudioka, Ukpo, Ogbunike and Enugwu Ukwu. From this Nri-Awka area, Ezechima and his followers crossed the River Niger and settled at Agbor, the tertiary and final area of settlement, from where he fled with his descendants to establish the Umuezechima clans.

Honestly, I'm inclined to think that the Chime mentioned in Oraukwu, Abagana etc traditions was a different historic personage associated with the expansion of the Aro trading network into the Anambra State area in the 18th century. It was probably only later that this Chime of Aro was confused with the Chime of the Ezechime Clan in Aniocha/Onitsha. The connection of the two Chimes is a very recent phenomenon, as it appears in none of the old literature available.

I did not say that Arochukwu was established by 1000AD. What I said was that the particular ancestral Igbo sub-group from which Arochukwu branched off already existed by 1000AD.

I see. It hardly changes anything, however.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Was Ezechime? by pazienza(m): 1:06am On Nov 11, 2015
"Obomkpa people claim that their ancestor, Anagba migrated from Ogidi in Anambra State and that Anagba was a relative of Ezechime and his spiritual consultant. This will put the origin of Ezechime at least according to this account to Ogidi".

Interesting stuff.

2 Likes

Re: Who Was Ezechime? by Ihuomadinihu: 2:27pm On Nov 11, 2015
Ezechime came from my village since we don't want Ezechime(north) linked with other people. cheesy
Re: Who Was Ezechime? by Donarozzi: 6:10pm On Nov 11, 2015
Radoillo:

I see. It hardly changes anything, however.

Actually, the fact that the particular Igbo clan that gave birth to Arochukwu already existed by 1000AD does change the whole argument. It is a well-documented fact that is upheld by oral traditions that Arochukwu, Ohafia, Abam, Edda, and Abiriba originated from the same ancestral lineage. That particular ancestral lineage is what I say already existed by 1000AD. This point changes the whole argument because before Arochukwu and these related villages (Ohafia, Abam, Edda, Abiriba) differentiated from one another, the ancestral community where they had lived together could be referred to by the generic name "Arochukwu clan".

The man Chime who founded many villages in the Nri-Awka area was the same Chime who founded the Umuezechime clans. Historians may not be able to say with certainty the exact year or century when Chime established these clans in both the Northern and Western parts of Igboland. From my research, however, I am inclined to say that Chime (Ezechime) was born in the later part of the 17th century, matured and founded these clans in the early-to-middle part of the 18th century. Pa Egwabor Iduuwe's dates could actually be more accurate than you imagined. However, some historians would insist that the Ezechime clans on both sides of Igboland were established around the 16th/17th century. What is certain is that our understanding of these historical events will get clearer with more time and more research.

These three professors, Ezeudu F. O., Nkokelonye C. U., Adigwe J. C., who have researched these issues also concluded that Ezechima (Chime/Ezechime) originated from Arochukwu. "Undoubtedly, Bini was originally a satellite state of Igboland. Before the advent of the white man, Obalike was Eze Nri and crowned Obas of Obodo Idu or Ana-Idu. This was the situation in the heyday of Nri ascendancy, ritual hegemony, and dominance, before the rise of Benin monarchy to imperial greatness (Jeffreys, 1941, p. 42). Jeffreys reported that when a new Oba of Benin was crowned, Nri man must be present. The Aro of Cross River Igbos claimed that they were already established and very active in Benin before the rise of Benin to imperial greatness. Chima (Chukwuma - an Igbo name), the founder of Umu Eze Chima in Onitsha was identified as an Aro commercial agent operating in Benin. The unforgettable encounter with the imperial forces pushing on all sides for imperial expansion of Benin Empire changed the migration direction and the course of Igbo which advance west of the River Niger."

http://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED540919.pdf

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edda_people
Re: Who Was Ezechime? by Nobody: 10:27pm On Nov 11, 2015
Donarozzi:

The man Chime who founded many villages in the Nri-Awka area was the same Chime who founded the Umuezechime clans. Historians may not be able to say with certainty the exact year or century when Chime established these clans in both the Northern and Western parts of Igboland. From my research, however, I am inclined to say that Chime (Ezechime) was born in the later part of the 17th century, matured and founded these clans in the early-to-middle part of the 18th century. Pa Egwabor Iduuwe's dates could actually be more accurate than you imagined. However, some historians would insist that the Ezechime clans on both sides of Igboland were established around the 16th/17th century. What is certain is that our understanding of these historical events will get clearer with more time and more research.

I was going to go into another 'essay' on chronology and dates...but I feel that might be belabouring the point, so I'll move to another part of your hypothesis which is contradicted by Agbor traditions as collected by Chief Iduuwe.

If I understand your position, Chime was born an Aro man in the later part of the 17th century; he then moved to the Nri/Awka axis as an itinerant trader, where he founded the first group of settlements attributed to him (in Abagana, etc), then he crossed the Niger to Agbor from where he later retreated to found the Anioma group of Ezechime settlements, and then Onitsha further east. By this, I'm given to understand that Chime could not have been an Agbor native, but just a settler-trader or Aro agent, right?

Why does Iduuwe then tell us that he was, not only a native Agbor man from the Alisimien clan of Agbor, but also a Prince, being descended from Agbor's ruling family? Chime's (Kime's, as he is called in Ika) grandfather Oseeh, had been a King in Agbor. Oseeh was the King who ruled before Ogwade, who in turn ruled before Adigwe. It was with either Ogwade or Adigwe that Chime, a Prince, contested for the throne of Agbor. The contest was fierce, and the whole of Alisimien backed Chime - which indicates that there was some legitimacy to his claim - a legitimacy that a foreign settler-trader wouldn't have had.

How did this migrant trader from Arochukwu end up as a native-born Prince of Agbor, with some rights to the throne? It doesn't fit. There is clearly something not right with the Aro angle.

These three professors, Ezeudu F. O., Nkokelonye C. U., Adigwe J. C., who have researched these issues also concluded that Ezechima (Chime/Ezechime) originated from Arochukwu. "Undoubtedly, Bini was originally a satellite state of Igboland. Before the advent of the white man, Obalike was Eze Nri and crowned Obas of Obodo Idu or Ana-Idu. This was the situation in the heyday of Nri ascendancy, ritual hegemony, and dominance, before the rise of Benin monarchy to imperial greatness (Jeffreys, 1941, p. 42). Jeffreys reported that when a new Oba of Benin was crowned, Nri man must be present. The Aro of Cross River Igbos claimed that they were already established and very active in Benin before the rise of Benin to imperial greatness. Chima (Chukwuma - an Igbo name), the founder of Umu Eze Chima in Onitsha was identified as an Aro commercial agent operating in Benin. The unforgettable encounter with the imperial forces pushing on all sides for imperial expansion of Benin Empire changed the migration direction and the course of Igbo which advance west of the River Niger."

http://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED540919.pdf

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edda_people

It doesn't look to me from the article like the three professors did any serious research nor reached any conclusion. They began by saying, "The Aro of the Cross River Igbos claimed...", which suggests they are only reporting a claim, rather than confirming it. A few lines down they tell us rather casually that Chime has been identified as an Aro commercial agent working in Benin. They laid no form of argument/explanation in support of how this identification was made, and the statement isn't referenced. Basically, they are just telling us to take their word for it - which is not good enough, especially as none of them is a true professional historian. Ezeudu and Adigwe are in the field of Science Education, Nkokelonye in Education Foundation. So no real historian. I was made even more skeptical of their erudition on this subject when they said Benin was part and parcel of Igboland. I'm not sure I get what they meant there.

I think I'd rather stick with Prof. Felicia Ekejiuba when it comes to information on Aro history.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Was Ezechime? by ezeagu(m): 11:10pm On Nov 11, 2015
Donarozzi:
From all my research, Ezechime was a wealthy man who moved from Arochukwu to Nri-Awka area during the slave trade. Some of the Umuezechime clan, especially Onicha-Ugbo, said that Ezechime came from Nri-Awka axis, while the people of Nri-Awka axis said that Ezechime originally came from Arochukwu, settled in Nri-Akwa area (Northern Igbo), and founded many communties in both the Northern and Western areas of Igboland. (Note: "Ezechime" is sometimes spelled "Ezechima" in some Igbo dialects).
a Ugbo, Onicha Olona, Issele Ukwu, Issele Azagba, Issele Mkpitime, Obior, Onicha Mmiri, which are all part of the Ezechima clan in Igboland.

The dates don't match up Eze Chima or Chime is supposed to be 16th century, Arochukwu was only established (taken from the Ibibio) in the 17th century, the slave trade kicked off (in Igboland) in the 17th century, and more in the mid 18th century.

It's very easily explained that Eze Chima was among, or, a leader of a group of possibly Igbo-speaking people who lived in Benin as many different ethnic groups did, it was around his time Benin (Idia) started snatching lands from foreigners because of war.

1 Like

Re: Who Was Ezechime? by Nobody: 8:49pm On Nov 12, 2015
Frankly, it's even hard to accept that Ezechime was ever in Benin to begin with, or that he was involved in the Esigie (Asije) and Gbunwara (Arhuaran) drama of the 16th century, as Onitsha traditions claim.

Bini oral traditions are impressively well preserved and they remember other emigrations and dealings with their neighbours - the Ginuwa emigration, etc. Why don't the Bini have any traditions about Ezechime? Egharevba didn't say anything about Ezechime in the original edition of his book. He only incorporated it in later editions after he had obtained the story from Onitsha sources. The Bini don't have any memory of Ezechime, whereas in Agbor, traditions about Ezechime are strong. They even have an annual re-enactment of the Ezechime migration during their Osiezi Festival.

5 Likes

Re: Who Was Ezechime? by Donarozzi: 11:26pm On Apr 18, 2016
bigfrancis21:

Gabriel Nwanze
February 19, 2009 at 5:06 pm

Eze Chime wasn’t the founder of Agbor, cos the city and kingdom pre-dates him, but he had a stint in Agbor after he fled Benin. He lived for a while there, but some are of the opinion that he actually hailed from Agbor, hence his Igbo name. We all do know for certain that Eze Chime came from the eastern flank ( Igboland ) to Benin and wasn’t a Benin man by ancestry, and also know he was a full blooded Igbo man as his name, Chimerem implied ( shortened to Chime later on ), but wether he came from Agbor or from Nri in Anambra state remains in debate. There is documented evidence that Chime’s grandparents lived in Agbor, but the evidence is not satisfactory, while more recent evidence links him to Nri as his parents/ancestors reportedly had a rulership-related feud with their kinsmen and left as a result, travelling Westward, though he had some royal blood, hence the title Eze being retained in their family name more as a reminder of their roots, as they sought their own kingdom. Some argue that the title Eze is more common , but not limited to people of the South East Igbo origin, while Obi is more common but not limited to Igbos of the western flank, so he may have had very strong roots in either Nri, or in both Nri and Agbor ( inter-marriage ). I’m still gathering more facts on him.

For sure, i know that Eze Chime later left Benin after another feud with the monarchy, and he was determined to retrace his roots and where his ancestors migrated from, leading him to move back Eastwards, back into the Igbo area of Anioma and as he went, he set up camps and pocket settlements mainly through his relatives, his soldiers and some of his team that stayed behind and not necessarily by his direct children as many believe, though the off-spring of his relatives, soldiers and aides are generally classified as Umu-Ezechime. His search ended across the River Niger ( modern day Anambra state ), where he died after settling in Onitsha to form an lliance and a co-community with the people of Ado, who were the original people of Onitsha, hence the town was formerly known as Onitsha Ado before being called simply as Onitsha in uniformity with other Onicha towns across the Niger, like Onicha olona, Onitsha Ugbo, etc. There’s a recent contest as to wether Eze Chime died in Onitsha, though, and I’m following the progress of this argument. It is important to note that the towns that were said to have been founded by Eze Chime were not necessarily empty when we arrived there, or he would have been born after Noah’s flood to have attained this ! But that wasn’t the case.

Eze Chime did meet people, original Igbo inhabitants ( descendants of the Kwa and Nok civilization as well as Eastern African immigrants that included the descendants of Gad, one of the twelve sons of Jacob. Gad settled in Africa) in every town he was said to have founded, but being a mighty warrior, his influence and name over-rode the existing powers in such areas, and yes, his presence and entrance did bring more development in the places he ( and his battalion ) camped as they moved on, some remaining behind.

On the people of Agbor and their ancestry, this also is another hot topic, as even the Agbor scholars cannot explain in full or to any satisfactory degree, how they came about. This inconclusiveness is simply rooted in the fact that their modern day leaders have sought to carve out and formulate an origin for their people, an origin that isn’t theirs, and one that denies their true nature and ancestry.

The truth is that Abgor and Owa, who are mainly united with their common tongue in the Ika dialect, are Igbos from origin. Ika is a confirmed dialect in Igbo language as even the constitution of Nigeria states. No doubt, there was a very strong influence by their neighbours , the Bini, which even at a time, ika people were almost entirely absorbed into Bini culture due to the awesome power of the Benin Empire and the natural knack for people in those days, to seek protection from stronger empires or be crushed. But the distinct nature of Ika that is well separate and different from bini could not be over-ridden that easily, and in the end, the Bini gave up in their efforts to claim Ika people as Bini off-springs.

This however, didn’t mean that the influence on both language and culture wasn’t left behind in the wake of the exit of the Benin from ika land, and later on, within a period of 600-1,000 years ago, the “Great Flight” occurred, in which a massive wave of immigration from bini was witnessed into Agbor and those immigrants have remained till today, seeing Ika and not Bini as their mother tongue, though some retain both their first and last names as Bini names. But such are in the gross minority in Ikaland, and the majority of any Ika settlement is dominated by the original inhabitants and also by settlers and immigrants from the eastern flank of Enuani dialect Igbo speakers as well as Nri Kingdom ( South East Nigeria, mainly in Anambra State )as they spread. Many of these immigrants from the South East into Ikaland retained purely Igbo cultures, while their Bini counterparts retained Bini cultures, with Ika people having a mixture of both cultures as a result of the factors listed above, in addition to hosting and absorbing their new strangers from both the East and the West. That is where the term “East meets West” was coined, about Ikaland and Agbor. This means that modern day Ikaland has a mixture of three generations of people . The original speakers of Ika dialect in Igboland who were largely influenced by the Bini, the Bini immigrants and the South eastern immigrants.

Infact, to halt the spread of immigrants from Nri kingdom into taking over the Benin land area as the Bini kingdom feared, some Bini soldiers ( warriors, rather ) were sent into Anioma land to set up camps and halt the free-flow of people westwards. .

The discovery and re-discovery of history always remains interesting.

Comment by Gabriel Nwanze
From the Article, "Igbos Of Delta State And Crisis Of Identity (Conclusion)" - written by Ephraim Adinlofu

http://www.nigeriansinamerica.com/igbos-of-delta-state-and-crisis-of-identity-conclusion/

2 Likes

Re: Who Was Ezechime? by stanleechuks: 3:32pm On Aug 31, 2017
The fact is that Ezechima was a fugitive from Alisimien in Agbor who happened to be a grandson of Obi Oseeh who relinquished his throne for his brother Adigwe sue to an illness. Chima latter planned to overthrow Obi Adigwe after he sent his slave Ebu to beat up Obi Adigwe's mother in her farm, she died and Obi Adigwe hanged Ebu and spared Chima,who latter tried to overthrow him but failed. He then ran with Offor Aliogbe but it was latter recovered from him but he ran to Obior and refused to come back to Agbor and died there. His descendants latter founded many towns who are now known as Umuezechima clan.

1 Like

Re: Who Was Ezechime? by IDENNAA(m): 9:00pm On Aug 30, 2020

(1) (Reply)

The Architecture Of Pre-colonial Africa - Photos / The Edos & The Children Of Israel - Born Of The Same Father! / ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 147
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.