Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,260 members, 7,815,421 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:08 PM

Is Your Child Talking Back At You? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is Your Child Talking Back At You? (804 Views)

Photo Of Little Boy Sucking A Mannequin Has Got People Talking / Photos Of Hot Mother And Her Baby Got Instagram Users Talking / Woman Carries Her Child Inside Her Shorts And Got People Talking (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Your Child Talking Back At You? by Mamagidi(f): 11:43am On Nov 11, 2015
Talking back is almost [if not] a taboo in our society. When a child talks back at his parent, critics be like: “that child is spoilt”; “he has no proper upbringing”; “God forbid that my child talks back at me”. In reality, most parents that have their children talking back at them do not fit into the category of ‘failed parents’. When I’m in a situation where a child is talking back at me, my first reaction and action is to give that child a ‘dirty’ slap. I may have shown superiority and the need for me to be accorded respect by that child. However, spanking a child isn’t always the solution. Here are some ways to handle a child who keeps talking back:

- Don't Respond. When you have made your point clear on why your child may not do something and your child revisits the issue or argues on why it shouldn't be so, maintain your silence. You can give him/her a stern look. If you try to engage your child, it will lead to more arguments and back talks.

- Respond. On a second note, when your child talks back at you, give him/her a reply. A very constructive one to show it is disrespectful to answer an adult rudely, let alone one's parent.

- Discipline. Spanking isn't a sin in our society. I'm an advocate of spanking with great moderation. It's a corrective measure you can use to stop back talks. It's not the only form of discipline though. Whatever style of discipline you want to use, always bear in mind that it should be corrective, not punitive.

- Encourage Good Behaviour. When your child exhibits good behaviour, like doing chores you didn't instruct him/her to do, acknowledge it. Reward good behaviour because you reward bad behaviour. More so, a child can become defiant when his/her parents only emphasize bad behaviour.

You may also need to ask this question: "Why is my child talking back at me?"

While you might feel justified to react to your child’s back talks. It is also important that you find out the reasons for his actions. Could it be peer pressure, media influence or a reaction to previous events? Before taking any actions, let the answers to these questions guide you.

But the main question remains: What will you do if your child talks back at you?

For more discourse on this issue, you can visit www.mamagidi.com/is-your-child-talking-back-at-you
Re: Is Your Child Talking Back At You? by xynerise: 11:55am On Nov 11, 2015
I don't have a teenager yet, but let's assume I have one and he/she talks back at me in a rude manner. Hmmmm....well, they hardly talk back at fathers.

1 Like

Re: Is Your Child Talking Back At You? by Zeedarh(f): 12:10pm On Nov 11, 2015
Educating....Putting in mind for future purpose smiley

1 Like

Re: Is Your Child Talking Back At You? by Booyakasha(f): 12:16pm On Nov 11, 2015
Hm
Re: Is Your Child Talking Back At You? by lilmax(m): 12:30pm On Nov 11, 2015
EOD

2 Likes

Re: Is Your Child Talking Back At You? by Mamagidi(f): 1:16pm On Nov 11, 2015
lilmax:
EOD

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Is Your Child Talking Back At You? by Booyakasha(f): 1:43pm On Nov 11, 2015
Those days, How dare you correct your mom or dad if he says 1 + 1 is 3? i guess things have changed.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Quick Ejaculation: A Curse, Weakness Or Lack Of Experience? / . / Are Women Naturally Polyandrous?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.